Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alagator, Flaglergator, Gatorbythebay, Google Adsense [Bot], Gouryella, itsgr82baflagator, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, UFever, WobbleGator and 51 guests

Bits & Pieces: Can a win really feel like a loss?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Bits & Pieces: Can a win really feel like a loss?

Postby cover2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:54 pm

After listening to the game on the radio and then watching the the replay, it would be easy to think what the title asks. I was talking with a buddy and remarked to him that the outcome of the game was like waking up while the house was burning down and getting out with our shoes...but naked otherwise! Once I settled down, however, processed what I had heard and saw, I remembered that any win is always greater than any loss. In this case, we have to move forward, take the game fro what it was...a somewhat flat effort and a passionate play by a Sun Belt team that almost got away, but didn't. Several older Gators can remember teams that would have gone on to lose this type of game (or tie), so while it definitely wasn't pretty, it turned out better than what it could have been. There's something to be said for finding a way. Anyhow, here are some observations:

*Regardless of whether you like the kid or not (want Brissett to start, etc.), it is hard to know really what we have in Driskel when you combine what he brings to the plate along with the performance of the OL and receivers. I know it sounds like a broken record, but if you'll watch the replays and not focus totally on the ball, you can see just how inept at times the other two parts of the offense are. Until our execution gets more consistent, we will continue to be more pedestrian than not. Also, if you take away Driskel's legs from the equation, we probably have at least two more losses.

*About the OL...I know we have some injury issues, but some of the guys who are out have not exactly played to an All-SEC level. Two plays kind of sum up the OL: 1) Halapio whiffs on a screen, leading to a loss of yards (remember that many of us have wondered where the screens and other plays designed to help a struggling offense against the rush have been?); 2) Harrison Doubles with Halapio against an A-gap player and allows a Cajun defender to blow through the other A-gap untouched and sack the QB (the center is the QB of your line, it is unfathomable that this happens, yet it has, over and over again).

*If you get a chance, listen to Lee McGriff. I know he isn't the greatest color guy, but he does pick up on some of the nuances of what is going on out there. To wit, he summarized (maybe unitntentionally) the play of the receivers this year on several occasions. On the long pass to Quinton Dunbar, a nicely thrown ball (from behind decent protection I might add) was missed when Dunbar began stumbling on his own (it must be noted that Dunbar has likely been the best wide-out we've had this year - that's telling in itself). Lee correctly announced that all of us Gators just want to see one of these plays be successful and not botched by a penalty or some other ineptitude. Secondly, he got on Hammonds for running a route and staying planted and not making an effort to get open while the QB was flushed from the pocket. This is either laziness, poor coaching, or both, but again, tells us a lot of where some of our woes are coming from.

*While watching the Bama/aTm game, I thought that it was fortunate we played the Aggies early in the season and not now!

*Thinking about F$U (though I'm a little nervous doing that with Jacksonville state looming :o ), I think we're good enough to hold them to 10 points, but I don't know whether we can score that many with our offensive struggles. It will take our best offensive effort of the season to have a chance (read that as most consistent performance from all offensive units).

Hoping this was a pinch to refocus. Not going to say it was a wake-up call...the UGA game should have been that. Got to keep squeezing the fruit to get every last drop this season. That's what it's going to take to go out on a good note through the regualr season and the bowl game.

:chomp:
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Re: Bits & Pieces: Can a win really feel like a loss?

Postby UFever » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:24 pm

I, too, listened on the radio. It did seem that when the game may be slipping away and when the same problems kept repeating themselves, that they became more candid or let some of their own frustrations show through a bit. They were laughing and joking for a while, probably at the futility of it. Yeah, they see what we see.
UFever
Heisman Gator

Postby Mr. Eko » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:25 pm

cover2 wrote:After listening to the game on the radio and then watching the the replay, it would be easy to think what the title asks. I was talking with a buddy and remarked to him that the outcome of the game was like waking up while the house was burning down and getting out with our shoes...but naked otherwise! Once I settled down, however, processed what I had heard and saw, I remembered that any win is always greater than any loss. In this case, we have to move forward, take the game fro what it was...a somewhat flat effort and a passionate play by a Sun Belt team that almost got away, but didn't. Several older Gators can remember teams that would have gone on to lose this type of game (or tie), so while it definitely wasn't pretty, it turned out better than what it could have been. There's something to be said for finding a way. Anyhow, here are some observations:

*Regardless of whether you like the kid or not (want Brissett to start, etc.), it is hard to know really what we have in Driskel when you combine what he brings to the plate along with the performance of the OL and receivers. I know it sounds like a broken record, but if you'll watch the replays and not focus totally on the ball, you can see just how inept at times the other two parts of the offense are. Until our execution gets more consistent, we will continue to be more pedestrian than not. Also, if you take away Driskel's legs from the equation, we probably have at least two more losses.

*About the OL...I know we have some injury issues, but some of the guys who are out have not exactly played to an All-SEC level. Two plays kind of sum up the OL: 1) Halapio whiffs on a screen, leading to a loss of yards (remember that many of us have wondered where the screens and other plays designed to help a struggling offense against the rush have been?); 2) Harrison Doubles with Halapio against an A-gap player and allows a Cajun defender to blow through the other A-gap untouched and sack the QB (the center is the QB of your line, it is unfathomable that this happens, yet it has, over and over again).

*If you get a chance, listen to Lee McGriff. I know he isn't the greatest color guy, but he does pick up on some of the nuances of what is going on out there. To wit, he summarized (maybe unitntentionally) the play of the receivers this year on several occasions. On the long pass to Quinton Dunbar, a nicely thrown ball (from behind decent protection I might add) was missed when Dunbar began stumbling on his own (it must be noted that Dunbar has likely been the best wide-out we've had this year - that's telling in itself). Lee correctly announced that all of us Gators just want to see one of these plays be successful and not botched by a penalty or some other ineptitude. Secondly, he got on Hammonds for running a route and staying planted and not making an effort to get open while the QB was flushed from the pocket. This is either laziness, poor coaching, or both, but again, tells us a lot of where some of our woes are coming from.

*While watching the Bama/aTm game, I thought that it was fortunate we played the Aggies early in the season and not now!

*Thinking about F$U (though I'm a little nervous doing that with Jacksonville state looming :o ), I think we're good enough to hold them to 10 points, but I don't know whether we can score that many with our offensive struggles. It will take our best offensive effort of the season to have a chance (read that as most consistent performance from all offensive units).

Hoping this was a pinch to refocus. Not going to say it was a wake-up call...the UGA game should have been that. Got to keep squeezing the fruit to get every last drop this season. That's what it's going to take to go out on a good note through the regualr season and the bowl game.

:chomp:

Good Post!

I'm just not going to judge the coaching staff till next year after Pease has a full year to work with the offense. We have 2 transfers that can play right away and I think the OL can improve quite a lot. I think the transfer who is already in school can play in the bowl game.

I wish we could get 1 more talented WR recruit because the chance of playing early is REALLY GOOD. Considering the WR's don't really have a coach, I hope we hire one the week after the FSU game.

I hope Easley, Jel. Jenkins, and Reed stay for one more year. Elam would be nice but I think Floyd has earned his 1st round pick status. Great Job!

As for your posting title, Of course it can when your team doesn't play well. BUT...... 10 and 1 going into FSU looks pretty good right now, as well as a top 10 ranking. Gotta say that if we beat FSU, I would have to consider this a really good year after the previous 2.

This may sound screwed up but I would rather have 2 more DT recruits and 1 more WR and OL recruits than a Bowl win. I would really like BOTH!! :flag:
Mr. Eko
True Gator

Postby gatormandan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 pm

It seems that we have regressed on offense and every team we play has us figured out. We cant block and our QB is either running for his life or laying on his back. Someone please tell me what changes we can make between now and the criminole game on offense that will allow us to score some points. The downfield passing game is not an option. We cant stop the blitz. Not many holes are being opened up. We all want a win in Tally......
gatormandan
True Gator

Postby UGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 am

We are as obvious as telling our next play to the opposing defense and then still trying to run on them as they stack the line against it.
The OL was a patchwork due to injuries but still has monumental lapses and whiffs which seems to indicate we don't have the talent to be consistent.
Spurrier always said the WR's need to plant the foot and make sharp cuts to gain separation but still continue a route toward the QB if under a blitz. A WR has to feel like they own the route and fight for every ball without question. Our WR's seem to quit too easily......obviously limited talent and we need 1-2 eventual all SEC WR's next year.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby UGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:38 am

We are as obvious as telling our next play to the opposing defense and then still trying to run on them as they stack the line against it.
The OL was a patchwork due to injuries but still has monumental lapses and whiffs which seems to indicate we don't have the talent to be consistent.
Spurrier always said the WR's need to plant the foot and make sharp cuts to gain separation but still continue a route toward the QB if under a blitz. A WR has to feel like they own the route and fight for every ball without question. Our WR's seem to quit too easily......obviously limited talent and we need 1-2 eventual all SEC WR's next year.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby buck16 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Look. The OL might not be the best we have but they are not that bad. If you havwe ever played football, the OL gets set in a stance. Then their blocking assignments are barked ouy by the center on most teams. Both the line and the center cannot see beyond the guy in front in them. When the defense shifts or our QB change the play, the calls MUST be made by the QB. The linemen then change their blocking assignments to reflect the new call.

WRs can stand up at the los and should see the defensive shifts and alter their routes accordingly. The qb should see the new defense and know who should receive the pass and who is option 2, etc.

We cannot continue to keep making excuses for inadequate play. The coaches have to let the QB adjust the plays and the QB must see the defense and know how.
buck16
Senior Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Good post cover
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby g8trs99 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Two plays kind of sum up the OL: 1) Halapio whiffs on a screen, leading to a loss of yards (remember that many of us have wondered where the screens and other plays designed to help a struggling offense against the rush have been?)

Is it just me or is Halapio the most inconsistent lineman in the history of UF football to continue to get on the field each game? He wiffs more than A-Rod in the playoffs on any open-field block. He also gets beat in pass rushing situations, yet continues to play.
g8trs99
True Gator

Postby ATXGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:15 pm

buck16 wrote:Look. The OL might not be the best we have but they are not that bad. If you havwe ever played football, the OL gets set in a stance. Then their blocking assignments are barked ouy by the center on most teams. Both the line and the center cannot see beyond the guy in front in them. When the defense shifts or our QB change the play, the calls MUST be made by the QB. The linemen then change their blocking assignments to reflect the new call.

WRs can stand up at the los and should see the defensive shifts and alter their routes accordingly. The qb should see the new defense and know who should receive the pass and who is option 2, etc.

We cannot continue to keep making excuses for inadequate play. The coaches have to let the QB adjust the plays and the QB must see the defense and know how.

I do think this is a key. It's not just the OL (although they are a big part), but the QB not recognizing what the D is doing.

I keep wondering why we can't do a better job exploiting the blitz. Why doesn't Driskel recognize the blitz and audible? Does he have the ability to do that? He has to at least have some type of check off to do if the defense is going to blitz where the WRs and QB change the route to take advantage...
"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"

ATXGator
Heisman Gator

Postby mtn2top » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 pm

A win never feels like a loss.

Face it people. If you're expecting the offense to walk out on the field and just get it all right, it's not going to happen this season.

To win the FSU game we have to rely on the defense and special teams. The offense has to eliminate turnovers and minimize penalties.

That the surest path to a Gator victory in all the remaining games.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Return to Gatorsports Forum