Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BernardodelaPaz, Gator1man, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jabberdave, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 42 guests

NCAA Rules

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

NCAA Rules

Postby Panhandle Gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:45 am

Intentional Grounding...

Can anyone tell me the penalty in the NCAA for a Quarterback Intentionally Grounding the ball as James Franklin did on Saturday and why it's a loophole?

(I already know but curious to hear answers)
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Re: NCAA Rules

Postby PastorBeef » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 am

Gotta be outside the tackle box, and throw it past the line of scrimmage. Otherwise it's 10 yards and a loss of down. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking as far as a loophole.....
Christ follower, avid Gator fan, insane ping-pong player.
Freshman Gator

Postby PastorBeef » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:50 am

Gotta be outside the tackle box, and throw it past the line of scrimmage. Otherwise it's 10 yards and a loss of down. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking as far as a loophole.....
Christ follower, avid Gator fan, insane ping-pong player.
Freshman Gator

Postby Panhandle Gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:04 pm

PastorBeef wrote:Gotta be outside the tackle box, and throw it past the line of scrimmage. Otherwise it's 10 yards and a loss of down. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking as far as a loophole.....

The loophole as I understand is, there is no real penalty.

In both high school and the NFL, there is a yardage step off and loss of down. But, in the NCAA Intentional Grounding is a Spot Foul and loss of down, which is exactly the same as taking a sack.
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby Panhandle Gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Panhandle Gator wrote:Intentional Grounding...

Can anyone tell me the penalty in the NCAA for a Quarterback Intentionally Grounding the ball as James Franklin did on Saturday and why it's a loophole?

JD? Why are you on an internet board when you should be reviewing game film?

We're all behind you, young Gator.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Panhandle Gator wrote:
PastorBeef wrote:Gotta be outside the tackle box, and throw it past the line of scrimmage. Otherwise it's 10 yards and a loss of down. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking as far as a loophole.....

In both high school and the NFL, there is a yardage step off and loss of down. But, in the NCAA Intentional Grounding is a Spot Foul and loss of down, which is exactly the same as taking a sack.

What he said. It's no different than if the QB had just taken the sack.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Panhandle Gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:19 pm

law98gator wrote:
Panhandle Gator wrote:Intentional Grounding...

JD? Why are you on an internet board when you should be reviewing game film?

We're all behind you, young Gator.

Well, it is homecoming week...and we are playing ULL....I figured a study break would do me well....Do I remind you guys of Timmy at all?
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Not really. But if you ever score a TD, we'll see if you do that Tebowing thing.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby okapi216 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 pm

I guess one of the loop holes is if you have a running back or eligible TE blocking and you ground it at his feet, it will not be called intentional grounding even if it does not make it back to the line of scrimmage or if the QB is not outside of the tackle box.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
okapi216
Freshman Gator

Postby jand3k » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 pm

And why is it OK to kill the clock by snapping the ball and then throwing it down at the heals of the center? The QB is still between the tackles, the ball does not go past the line of scrimmage, and there is no receiver in the area.

Yeah, I know it's allowed but it's the same damn thing; actually it is worse because in a real grounding scenario the QB is at least looking for an option before he throws it away.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:59 pm

jand3k wrote:And why is it OK to kill the clock by snapping the ball and then throwing it down at the heals of the center? The QB is still between the tackles, the ball does not go past the line of scrimmage, and there is no receiver in the area.

Yeah, I know it's allowed but it's the same damn thing; actually it is worse because in a real grounding scenario the QB is at least looking for an option before he throws it away.

Why is it ok for the place holder to have possession of the football with a knee on the ground?
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby jand3k » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Yeah, except that too is specifically allowed per the rules as is the clock killing throw. both are odd.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby IDGAC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Panhandle Gator wrote:

It's not a loophole as you're losing yardage. If the penalty isn't called, then you lose the down but keep the original spot. With intentional grounding, you're losing the down AND losing yards on the spot.

I think it's a fair penalty.
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby LRTX1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 pm

jand3k wrote:And why is it OK to kill the clock by snapping the ball and then throwing it down at the heals of the center? The QB is still between the tackles, the ball does not go past the line of scrimmage, and there is no receiver in the area.

I havent read the rule but, I have always thought the difference was avoiding a tackler or not. Intentional grounding is throwing the ball away to avoid a tackler while inside the tackle box, not throwing past the los etc etc
LRTX1
Redshirt Gator

Postby Panhandle Gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:39 pm

IDGAC wrote:
Panhandle Gator wrote:

It's not a loophole as you're losing yardage. If the penalty isn't called, then you lose the down but keep the original spot. With intentional grounding, you're losing the down AND losing yards on the spot.

Yes, you would lose the down and the ball would be placed at the spot he threw the ball, which is the same as if the quarterback had taken the sacke.

So, there is no penalty and no reason for an NCAA quarterback not to throw it away EVERY time and make the ref throw the flag.
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby IDGAC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Panhandle Gator wrote:
IDGAC wrote:
Panhandle Gator wrote:

Yes, you would lose the down and the ball would be placed at the spot he threw the ball, which is the same as if the quarterback had taken the sacke.

So, there is no penalty and no reason for an NCAA quarterback not to throw it away EVERY time and make the ref throw the flag.

I agree with you that there is no reason for an NCAA qb NOT to throw it away every time because an intentional grounding call is subject to human error in judgment whereas a sack is not.

However, I wouldn't agree that there is NO penalty, because if the penalty were NOT called, you would get back the yards you would have otherwise lost.
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby willgetin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 pm

The penalty IS the loss of yards to the spot of the foul. NO penalty would be original line of scrimmage...

I think its the right penalty, personally....
Alv: We have no excuses for this humiliating loss. We have only ourselves to blame. Tennessee most definitely deserved to lose.
Alv: You do realize your signature bums me out more than any other Jort rabble on the GSMB...Any chance you would...remove it?
willgetin
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:05 pm

willgetin wrote:The penalty IS the loss of yards to the spot of the foul. NO penalty would be original line of scrimmage...

I think its the right penalty, personally....

So, worst case scenario, they call the penalty and give you spot foul which is where you'd be if you had taken the sack? Without the chance of a fumble or maybe injury?

That's not a penalty. That's a good bet.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BSJGator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:22 pm

It's all the NCAA's fault for having too many rules with multiple loopholes for each one... :lol:
BSJGator
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum