Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 23 guests

Bits & Pieces: Gators vs. "Misery"

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Bits & Pieces: Gators vs. "Misery"

Postby cover2 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 am

Not pretty, but a win is a win. Like PE said in an earlier post, Mizzou didn't look like a one win SEC neophyte yesterday, but maybe we had something to do with that? Here are some things I noticed from the south endzone:

*OL play has been exceptionally poor for two weeks now. Especially disappointing since the center went on record as saying we would see a better performance. I wish I could lay it at the feet of a great and confusing defensive scheme, but the fact is that for the majority of the day, their front four whippd our five OL. It seemed like every pass play had Driskel running for his life or had a ball tipped at the LOS. One of the most damning plays was when we had third and a foot and couldn't get a push, then we followed up with a procedure penalty when preparing to go for it on 4th down. This group is far from solid and seems to have digressed as the season has progressed.

*Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good. Just ask Christy. Two games ago, he looked like the second coming of Ray Guy. Today, everything came off of his foot very wobbly and off target. Still, he averaged 41 yds/kick and had a couple of efforts pin the visitors deep inside the red.

*Floyd is a man. He just eats up the RB's. We are a good defensive bunch, but we are at our best when Sharif is on the field. We better enjoy his great effort and technique...he's probably playing on Sundays next season.

*I thought about what could have been as I watched a little of USCw when we got home last night. Saw Nelson Agholor get past the DB's and take a long one to the house. We get him and Diggs and we may be talking about Driskel being the next big thing (OL play notwithstanding) as he has shown us that he can throw the long ball, though two really nice throws have been negated this season by penalties.

*Read some comments about the fans, specifically the students not filling their section. Of course, a lot of them were late, but I seen to recall having a time making it to the early games after and "active" Friday night! Still, you'd hope there wouldn't be no-shows for an SEC game. Might just be a generational thing, as we have become a socitey that wants it all and wants it now and if that doesn't happen, we quickly turn our attentions elsewhere...or not. Don't know. I do know that we are 8-1 which, as has been repeated ad nauseum, is far better than a lot of the prognosticators had forecast. Sometimes you have to enjoy where you are and not where you want to be.

*Get-well-soon card to Sturgis. We could have used a healthy you late in the game and it looked like the missed FG attempt might bite us. Thank goodness for the D. Bent a little, but didn't break when it counted.

By all rights we should be 10-1 going into Tallahassee. Whether or not we come away 11-1 will depend on the OL and if it can put together its best effort out of the year. Another clunker like we have had the past two weeks and we drop our third in a row to the Nole$, regardless of how well the D plays and whether or not we minimize turnovers. A lot of the pass pro worries have been focused on the tackles (Nixon, etc., and they have not played consistently), but the truth of the matter is that we have been poor from guard to guard, missing on many of the loops and twists that attack A and B gaps. We need a better focus in two weeks. Heck, next week for that matter!
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Re: Bits & Pieces: Gators vs. "Misery"

Postby Dugaboy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:51 am

Good post, Cover2, as always...

Next week, another bomb thrower, Terrance Broadway with his Ragin Cagin' band of brothers. As we look back at this year, it seems we have faced every gun slinger in the NCAA:

Johnny Football
The Tennessee Stickman
Shickleguber from LSU (A real paper tiger)
Conner Shaw
Ole Pigeon Toes from UGA
The Missouri Gun Fighter - James Franklin
and now, Broadway.

FSU's EJ Manuel doesn't frighten anybody anymore. Should we be blessed with a Sugar Bowl appearance and it is against Notre Dame (I hope) we will face a chubby-buddy little qback that has no fear - has no passing accuracy either, thank God...
Dugaboy
Heisman Gator

Postby WC5 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 pm

I agree completely, especially on Floyd and the OL. Our D ends could use a better pass rush presence (injuries not withstanding), but I was very pleased with Bullard's play when he stepped in. The D-Backs still scare me in pass coverage. We are lights out when a team can't pass, but we had too many "dodged a bullet" plays including our D's interceptions that were because of a bad non-pressured throw and not our play. I don't know if it because our scheme is counting on the QB not making those throws or not.

OL, well they have been getting flat out whupped man on man for a couple years now. It is tough for me to be too critical on Driskal when he is running for his life and he is still learning (but after watching Oregon's freshman I am not sure that is valid anymore). The WR play is almost as bad as the OL play and we seem to not catch or block. The spark seems to be from slot play from ex-QB's Burton and Reed. Most of our misdirection does not work because no one believes it.

That said, I believe Champ and the team are moving in the right direction, as we are slowly cleaning up the same personnel woes that plagued us in UM last year. My biggest question for smarter minds would be we seem to do be doing less with higher "rated" players than much smaller schools, so is this bad recruiting or poor player development
WC5
Redshirt Gator

Postby cuuf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Well said cover, it all starts up front. In their defense somewhat, we were not playing with our normal front as well as having several injuries during that game that further shuffled the line. Still, it is painfully obvious, without even a middle of the road o-line, the rest (good QB, Backs, recievers) will matter little.

I was wondering if our earlier season o-line success had to do with schematic changes, ala, pulling guards, etc. and now that we are well into the season these changes are not foolling anyone.
Who cares anymore
cuuf
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:21 pm

WC5 wrote:My biggest question for smarter minds would be we seem to do be doing less with higher "rated" players than much smaller schools, so is this bad recruiting or poor player development

I'm not a smarter mind, but I'll respond anyway.

We've had poor player development. That is beyond question. Already, we are seeing incoming freshmen (DEs, WRs, CBs) outplaying kids who have been here a while. We've also seen the difference that a strength coach can make.

As for bad recruiting, it was a symptom of the system. We wanted Wrs primarily that were blockers first and could run jet sweeps; Qbs that could run the single wing (runners first and preferably big runners like Jordan Reed); and back that could run sideways. We wanted little fast linemen, LBs that looked like strong safeties; and small, fast DBs. That is what we got. As the offense regressed under the previous regime, we got a point tha twe were losing all the real talented skill players to other teams, Bama, LSU, Ugly, even Clemson. We've been paying for it for years.

One other thing should be mentioned. The previous regime was tight with the media and actively politicked about recruiting rankings. Some of our players (Driskel and Debose) rose in the rankings as our staff pimped them as the next Tebow and Harvin. Clearly, many scouts still had doubts given the inability of those two in particular to perform at the AA games. That is why Driskel was rated "top pro-style QB" but failed to earn a 5 star rating from Rivals. ND had this phenomenon for years. Any kid who committed to them suddenly added a star. Those weren't the only two that gained stars because we recruited them, but they are two of the best examples I can think of right now.
Last edited by law98gator on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby FloridaFanatic22 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Good post. Floyd will be gone next year IMO due to his play and his family's financial situation... I disagree about EJ Manuel. He's better than any other qb we've faced IMO and we'll need to be disciplined or he will run and pass on us. Hopefully we can get our O-lineman going and work on our passing game (Driskel with reads, decisons and receivers with routes, timing etc.) during these next 2 weeks.

One last thing: I really, REALLY hope we finally decide to let Burton pass out of the wildcat against FSU. Seems like we've been setting it up all year for one big play. Go gators
FloridaFanatic22
Senior Gator

Postby GatorGrad74 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks, Cover, for your always spot on analysis. WC5---you asked the very question that was burning in my head and Law98, your response gave me some real insight into why things have deteriorated so badly on the O side of the ball. Like most here, I am relieved more than happy about yesterday's win and hope the OLine issues will get addressed again and again and again before next week.
"A Florida Man needs no introduction."
GatorGrad74
Senior Gator

Postby FloridaFanatic22 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Law that is one magnificent sig... That is all :nutso:
FloridaFanatic22
Senior Gator

Postby cuuf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:51 pm

real or fake?
Who cares anymore
cuuf
Heisman Gator

Postby FloridaFanatic22 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:04 pm

cuuf wrote:real or fake?

First two are real. Last one is probably fake but who the hell cares ;)
FloridaFanatic22
Senior Gator

Postby O&BGator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:08 pm

our fatties are hotter then their fatties
O&BGator
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorpe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:10 pm

I think ( I do, really) that if we improve as much from this year to next as we did from last year to this year the good times are on the way back.
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby mtn2top » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Misery is the right description, of having to go out and play after last week. Most of the fans can only imagine how disappointed this team is after the hundreds of hours of practice and commitment to the season. I'm glad they were able to muster up the resolve to get this last conference victory.

Wilson and Nixon were out for nearly all of the game with the second stringers gaining some PT. If needed, they should be able to continue playing over the next few games so our starters are healthy for the Noles.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby Pineywoods » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Good thread.
Pineywoods
Senior Gator

Postby cover2 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks all for reading and responding. One little bit I forgot to mention but that is sort of indicative of the WR play was the pass to Hammonds on third down that ended up short of the sticks. The play was well-designed with trips left, creating a second level coverage flow, against which Hammond's slant/drag was supposed to counteract. Driskel properly checked to him after first looking at the left third of the field. Problem was, it never got the depth necessary to make the first down and Hammond's speed (or lack) allowed the trailing DB to nail him immediately. Little things are what separates average and good or good and great. Of course, blazing speed can often be a trump card, but outside of Debose (who probably should be nicknamed "Waldo") there doesn't seem to be any on the roster that could be considered game-changing.
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Postby f18bundy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Always enjoy your analysis and this is probably the first time we have disagreed. I think that a consistently poor offense is almost always linked to below average QB play. It's never just one area and I'm not at all suggesting that Driskell is the only reason for the lack of production. However, at this stage he has major issues that make the line look worse than it is with the possible exception of Chaz Green who after a solid year one, looks disinterested. His propensity to stare at receivers is the main reason so many balls are tipped at the line. Go back and look at the film and I believe you will notice several tips from linemen who have been stuffed and have backed three steps from the O-lineman. The lack of a down field passing game doesn't help either. Teams aren't afraid to load the box and in fact since UF has run the ball so much, it benefits them to do so. I am sure that the WRs have much room for improvement but I also believe I have seen many open receivers either missed or ignored. Without being inside the system it's hard to know exactly where the worst of the problem lies. However, with multiple sub-100 or near 100 yd passing games under his belt and no potentially decent back up other than Driskell, I am an advocate of giving Brissett a 2 game audition. If it doesn't work out, we probably still win, Brissett sticks around for another season, and Driskell can go back in against FSU. Might do him some good to watch from the sidelines for a while. Just one man's opinion.
f18bundy
True Gator

Postby Homer J » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:00 pm

law98gator wrote:
WC5 wrote:My biggest question for smarter minds would be we seem to do be doing less with higher "rated" players than much smaller schools, so is this bad recruiting or poor player development

I'm not a smarter mind, but I'll respond anyway.

We've had poor player development. That is beyond question. Already, we are seeing incoming freshmen (DEs, WRs, CBs) outplaying kids who have been here a while. We've also seen the difference that a strength coach can make.

As for bad recruiting, it was a symptom of the system. We wanted Wrs primarily that were blockers first and could run jet sweeps; Qbs that could run the single wing (runners first and preferably big runners like Jordan Reed); and back that could run sideways. We wanted little fast linemen, LBs that looked like strong safeties; and small, fast DBs. That is what we got. As the offense regressed under the previous regime, we got a point tha twe were losing all the real talented skill players to other teams, Bama, LSU, Ugly, even Clemson. We've been paying for it for years.

One other thing should be mentioned. The previous regime was tight with the media and actively politicked about recruiting rankings. Some of our players (Driskel and Debose) rose in the rankings as our staff pimped them as the next Tebow and Harvin. Clearly, many scouts still had doubts given the inability of those two in particular to perform at the AA games. That is why Driskel was rated "top pro-style QB" but failed to earn a 5 star rating from Rivals. ND had this phenomenon for years. Any kid who committed to them suddenly added a star. Those weren't the only two that gained stars because we recruited them, but they are two of the best examples I can think of right now.

I disagree with this.

In high school, Debose was "Harvin" like. I don't know what kind of competition he played against but they lined him up at punter and he took off and scored.

Jeff was his entire high school team. He had a great Under Armour game where he dropped back to pass and ran it up the middle for about 60 yards.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby FunnGun » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:01 pm

We need an aggressive playmaker at wide out. Someone that can consistently beat the press, attack the ball in the air and come down with the hard catches. That would go along way in building Jeff's and wr's confidence. That group needs a leader as a bad as any on the field.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Homer J » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:07 pm

I said it before, we need to have Debose play out wide and run a fly pattern every other play. If he gets open, throw it to him. It will also wear down the DBs.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby cover2 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:25 pm

f18bundy wrote:Always enjoy your analysis and this is probably the first time we have disagreed. I think that a consistently poor offense is almost always linked to below average QB play. It's never just one area and I'm not at all suggesting that Driskell is the only reason for the lack of production. However, at this stage he has major issues that make the line look worse than it is with the possible exception of Chaz Green who after a solid year one, looks disinterested. His propensity to stare at receivers is the main reason so many balls are tipped at the line. Go back and look at the film and I believe you will notice several tips from linemen who have been stuffed and have backed three steps from the O-lineman. The lack of a down field passing game doesn't help either. Teams aren't afraid to load the box and in fact since UF has run the ball so much, it benefits them to do so. I am sure that the WRs have much room for improvement but I also believe I have seen many open receivers either missed or ignored. Without being inside the system it's hard to know exactly where the worst of the problem lies. However, with multiple sub-100 or near 100 yd passing games under his belt and no potentially decent back up other than Driskell, I am an advocate of giving Brissett a 2 game audition. If it doesn't work out, we probably still win, Brissett sticks around for another season, and Driskell can go back in against FSU. Might do him some good to watch from the sidelines for a while. Just one man's opinion.

Thanks. QB play is about 1/4 of the problem, but I don't believe it is the worst part of the O. There may be recievers running free (haven't seen as many), but if so they may be when Driskel is running for his life. I'll maintain that better protection, not to mention better WR performance will = better production from QB. That said, Brissett will likely get some snaps these next two weeks.
cover2
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum