Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ancient Reptile, Clawhammergator, divits888, f18bundy, g8rbob, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, mtn2top and 54 guests

OK, so what will it take to get the passing game

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

OK, so what will it take to get the passing game

Postby Drewsagator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 am

GOING :exclaim: :exclaim:
It's obvious the choice has been made at QB by the coaches, so what I want to know from the resident board experts is how do you get some sort of passing game going with what we have to work with.
Here is what WE have established by concensus.
-Young QB that is a good athlete but limited in his ability to make quick reads.
-Makeshift offensive line that lacks experience and or ability to be good in pass protection.
-WR's who do not have ability to get good separation from DB's at the LOS or downfield.
-Conservative HC who values TOP almost as much as he does points.
Here is my solution for the rest of this year only.
This would be installed as a 12 to 15 play "wrinkle" and not part of 2013 or beyond..................unless we needed it again :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-SjMen ... =endscreen
I will be back later to explain why this would work like a charm for us, until then let's hear what you guys got instead of just b!tching about it.
Drewsagator
Heisman Gator

Re: OK, so what will it take to get the passing game

Postby kcgator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:07 am

Jesus.
kcgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby DCflorida » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:07 am

Over-analyze much?

Better pass blocking, move along.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby Mus_champ11 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:25 am

This offense needs about 2 weeks rest. Our bye week was way to early this year. Fortunately, we play 2 really inferior teams that next 2 weeks. Get our starters on the O-line healthy would help alot.

Congrats to this team. an 8-1 record with our schedule thus far is a great job!
Mus_champ11
All-American Gator

Postby Drewsagator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:29 am

Ok, the woman's not quite ready to leave yet so I begin to explain.
We need some sort of play action to buy time for our athletic QB to let our WR's and TE's to get downfield. The wishbone is designed to make defenses defend sideline to sideline and it is very difficult for defenses to properly place a blitz.......in other words it neutralizes blitzes and can have devastating results for a defense who misplaces a blitz.
It is a great way to make a "mobile" pocket for an athletic QB who has a hard time utilizing both sides of the field, if the pass play breaks down the defense is still stretched sideline to sideline meaning it is easier for QB to make run read and maximize yardage once he breaks the LOS.
It would also utilize our stud FB in the running game as something more than a blocker..... and give our now struggling running game a different look for a few games..........blocking schemes are very simple for the oline to execute and the best part is NOBODY is scouting it.Here's more of a beautiful thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOHUW59Rfc
Drewsagator
Heisman Gator

Postby Drewsagator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 am

DCflorida wrote:Over-analyze much?

R-O-U-N-D P-E-G M-E-ET S-Q-U-A-R-E H-O-L-E
Drewsagator
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 am

You wish to install the wishbone in two weeks?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously, you have no idea how stupid of an idea that is.

You obviously also don't know is that a wishbone or even the read option requires a QB who can read defenses. That's why when we run the read option we take Driskel out and use Trey run it, just like we did when it was apparent that Jordan Reed didn't have the brain for it either.

You can't fix stupid and you definitely can't fix stupid by asking him to run the wishbone.
Last edited by law98gator on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby DCflorida » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am

Drewsagator wrote:

R-O-U-N-D P-E-G M-E-ET S-Q-U-A-R-E H-O-L-E

Dead-horse-meet-Drew, and-prepare-to-get-the-hell-beat-outta-you.

:deadhorse:
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby Drewsagator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 am

Actually, I just get tired of reading the same old post about JD sucking, the oline sucking, and the WR's sucking. And as I said, I am interested to hear from some members what they think would work.............it's not difficult and you can join in if you'd like.............would you like too ?? :lol:
Drewsagator
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:40 am

Drew, here's the quick answer, with the correct coaching staff, it would take two years to install the wishbone and have it function like it should. Then it would still come down to whether or not the QB could read the defenses (it's requires instant recognition of who does what after the snap), an OL that can block (INCLUDING the TEs), and good rb's.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Drewsagator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:42 am

law98gator wrote:You wish to install the wishbone in two weeks?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously, you have no idea how stupid of an idea that is.

You obviously also don't know is that a wishbone or even the read option requires a QB who can read defenses. That's why when we run the read option we take Driskel out and let Trey run it.

You can't fix stupid and you definitely can't fix stupid by asking him to run the wishbone.

Law, I played in a wishbone offense from the time I was 5 years old......it's not rocket science. Nor am I a rocket scientist...... :o really
Drewsagator
Heisman Gator

Postby DCflorida » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 am

Drewsagator wrote:

Actually, I just get tired of reading the same old post about JD sucking, the oline sucking, and the WR's sucking. And as I said, I am interested to hear from some members what they think would work.............it's not difficult and you can join in if you'd like.............would you like too ?? :lol:

JD doesn't suck, the WRs could be better for sure, but Driskel running for his life on nearly every pass play is an issue. Thus, pass-blocking is the primary concern.

It's that simple and three or four more threads on the subject won't change it. Also, I'm thrilled with the 8-1 record, on our way to 10-1. GREAT season so far, wouldn't you agree?
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 am

Drewsagator wrote:Law, I played in a wishbone offense from the time I was 5 years old......it's not rocket science. Nor am I a rocket scientist...... :o really

This isn't pee wee league we are talking about.

Give it a rest.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby phideltgator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 am

To start passing you need to run. We need running backs with size and speed. There is no quick fix for us now.
phideltgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Drewsagator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 am

DCflorida wrote:
Drewsagator wrote:

JD doesn't suck, the WRs could be better for sure, but Driskel running for his life on nearly every pass play is an issue. Thus, pass-blocking is the primary concern.

It's that simple and three or four more threads on the subject won't change it. Also, I'm thrilled with the 8-1 record, on our way to 10-1. GREAT season so far, wouldn't you agree?

I agree, and as I mentioned in my OP wanted to hear some other peoples ideas what might help the situation............just a little sunday morning QBing :cool:
Drewsagator
Heisman Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:57 am

phideltgator wrote:To start passing you need to run. We need running backs with size and speed. There is no quick fix for us now.

but in order for us to run we need a passing game that will loosen the defense up...right now they can stack the box with little to no fear of the pass
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 pm

phideltgator wrote:To start passing you need to run.

Demonstrably not true. There are plenty of teams that can pass but not run, notably all those Mumme/Leach/Holgerson teams. Like all spread teams, they're lack of running ability made it hard to score, despite them putting up gaudy numbers.

An offense should challenge the defense side to side (that includes the middle) and vertically as well on every play. There should be some threat that you will run or pass on every down. There should be some threat that even if the defense reads run or pass, that it is actually a draw or play action coming. Note that most of our decent runs come on 3rd down (which means 3rd and long with this offense) when the defense is looking for the pass.

If you allow a team to KNOW ahead of time what you will run, ie Gilly off tackle to the right pretty much on every first down, you make it very, very easy for them. That is how a defense that got curb-stomped by Vandy looks good against UF.

We started out correctly with those two easy first down throws for JD, but then returned to form.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby phideltgator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Let's say you rush the first 2 downs and get 3 yards. Then you have third and 7. Well now you are predictable. No suprise here.
Let's say you pick up 7 yards first rushing play. Now you have a waste down to explore deep. It's like a pitcher that gets ahead with strikes compared to one that throws 2 quick balls. The odds are in your favor if you start off strong either sport.
phideltgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby FSOGATOR » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:21 pm

Screen passes. That's not rocket science either. It only takes good execution. Read the blitz and throw the screen into it.Both Gilly and Joyer seem to be able to catch the ball. Better than the WRs anyway. For examples -- see how the Tide used it to beat LSU last night. Might try some quick slants to Reed for additional help.
FSOGATOR
True Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:25 pm

The best play of the night was that screen pass. One of the reason it was the best play was that Driskel didn't stare at the receiver. He actually looked down field to the left and waited for the play to develop.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum