Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, TN G8tr and 25 guests

Passing Yards Per Game

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Passing Yards Per Game

Postby Kilzyo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:29 am

UF's passing yards per game are as follows:

BG-145
Tamu-165
Tenn-219
Kentucky-203
Lsu-61
Vandy-77
USC-94
Gawja-191
Mizzu-106

NEED CORN FEED BEEF ASAP!!!

The line was abused today (and last week, and every week in pass protection). Don't care if it was injuries, sickness, bla, bla, bla. We need to find some beef to stand their ground and block a mofo. Most immediate, pressing NEED!
Kilzyo
True Gator

Re: Passing Yards Per Game

Postby DCflorida » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:13 am

The o-line is above average in the run game, but well below average in pass protection. I watched the same blitzes LSU was using against UF get absolutely stoned by Bama.

Yes, we need an updrade or three at WR, and yes Driskel is still learning, but the major problem in the pass game is lack of time to throw.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby f18bundy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:21 am

The line is not perfect but you have to be part of the Driskell posse to believe they are the reason for so many 100 yd and worse passing performances. Kid is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds and he knows it. It's why he hangs on to the ball so long; doesn't trust his ability to throw into tight coverage. Time to give Brissett a 2 game audition before FSU ruins the season.
f18bundy
True Gator

Postby The RH Factor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:43 am

Steve Russell said after the game that if Driskel was throwing 40 times a game, we'd be losing.

I guess if Brissett was throwing 40 times a game, we'd be winning.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Postby f18bundy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:03 am

Have no idea what your post has to do with anything written here. I believe the point is for a more effective passing game not a more frequent one. Stay with me, I typed slowly so you could.
f18bundy
True Gator

Postby sportstalk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:06 am

DCflorida wrote:The o-line is above average in the run game, but well below average in pass protection. I watched the same blitzes LSU was using against UF get absolutely stoned by Bama.

Yes, we need an updrade or three at WR, and yes Driskel is still learning, but the major problem in the pass game is lack of time to throw.

Spot on correct. And I realize you are no comparing Alabama's O-line to ours (not fair b/c UA has best O-line in country), but even LSU's O-line which is very young and has had injuries throughout the year has improved and looked very good last nite. Our O-line has gotten worse. The point you make about the Alabama O-line to me means coaching. Seems like every year our O-line allows the opponent to come in scott free way too often and I mean opposing D-linemen who are lined up directly across from the O-line. How does that happen? Very seldom have we passed guys off correctly.

And the discussion about Brissett versus Driskel is fair and we all see Driskel's faults. Not on either's side, it is my opinion that we would not have an 8-1 record if Brissett were the starter. It would be worse. Not b/c Brissett is not good, but with our swiss cheese O-line, Brissett does not have the ability to extend plays as well (true that means less mistakes), but you also have a large portion of the playbood (QB run game) that would have to be thrown out. And like it our not the QB run game has been instrumental in many of the wins this year. For this team and its style, Driskel was the guy, but he has been a major dissapointment in the pass game, and I am not talking about the physical things. I know the WR's are awfu and the line is awful, but in the mental aspect of the pass game he has gotten progressively worse.
sportstalk
Heisman Gator

Postby FSOGATOR » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:06 am

sportstalk wrote:
DCflorida wrote:The o-line is above average in the run game, but well below average in pass protection. I watched the same blitzes LSU was using against UF get absolutely stoned by Bama.

Spot on correct. And I realize you are no comparing Alabama's O-line to ours (not fair b/c UA has best O-line in country), but even LSU's O-line which is very young and has had injuries throughout the year has improved and looked very good last nite. Our O-line has gotten worse. The point you make about the Alabama O-line to me means coaching. Seems like every year our O-line allows the opponent to come in scott free way too often and I mean opposing D-linemen who are lined up directly across from the O-line. How does that happen? Very seldom have we passed guys off correctly.

And the discussion about Brissett versus Driskel is fair and we all see Driskel's faults. Not on either's side, it is my opinion that we would not have an 8-1 record if Brissett were the starter. It would be worse. Not b/c Brissett is not good, but with our swiss cheese O-line, Brissett does not have the ability to extend plays as well (true that means less mistakes), but you also have a large portion of the playbood (QB run game) that would have to be thrown out. And like it our not the QB run game has been instrumental in many of the wins this year. For this team and its style, Driskel was the guy, but he has been a major dissapointment in the pass game, and I am not talking about the physical things. I know the WR's are awfu and the line is awful, but in the mental aspect of the pass game he has gotten progressively worse.

Could not agree more on all counts. This offense has deteriorated in its performance over the last few games. Rather than improve on their mistakes, they seem to compound them.

I am as thrilled as anyone to be 8-1 at this point in the season. Certainly didn't expect it. But what I did expect was the see a team making visible improvement in its play from one game to the next.

I dont know what the problem is with this offense. Lack of talen where it counts or lack of good coaching where it counts. The contrast with the defesne is so stark that you have to wonder. On the other hand, all these offensive guys were highly recruited "talent." So what gives.

One thing does seem clear, its time to start trying something different in our offensive game plan. We'll beat the creampuffs (those that was close yesterday) playing this kind of offense, but we wont beat the better teams consistently.
FSOGATOR
True Gator

Postby Drewsagator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:12 am

sportstalk wrote:

Please explain. Try to use examples or specific plays.I'm :?
Drewsagator
Heisman Gator

Postby DCflorida » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 am

I don't agree at all that Driskel is inaccurate, in fact, when he gets longer than 2.2 seconds to get a pass off, he's proven to be very accurate.

He needs time, period.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby GatorJay26 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 am

He may be accurate, but he stares down receivers REALLY bad. I think he has all the physical tools in the world, but I honestly believe he doesn't have it between the ears.....yet
GatorJay26
True Gator

Postby kcgator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:17 am

GatorJay26 wrote:He may be accurate, but he stares down receivers REALLY bad. I think he has all the physical tools in the world, but I honestly believe he doesn't have it between the ears.....yet

This.

They see me rollin', they hatin'...
kcgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby sportstalk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:53 am

By mental aspect, I mean understanding the situation, down and distance, score, understanding that throwing the ball into the stands is okay sometimes. For example, yesterday he threw a ball to the sideline and it hit the MO player in the chest. maybe he was throwing it away but it has to be into the 50th row. He has done that all year when outside the pocket either taking a sack or running out of bounds for a loss. They make it so easy for the QB b/c he legally can ground it when outside the pocket. The INT in the UGA game right before half. Outside the pocket, threw across his body. QB 101 mistake. Know that a FG is okay there. the fact we can't score TD's in the red zone is not all the QB's fault. We can't run for one inch when we need to, but that is an o-line problem. An incompletion is NOT always a bad thing. You don;t have to be a hero on every play. That is what I am talking about. Driskel is physically gifted, but playing QB is part physical and a lot mental and his mental game has not progressed one bit. That could be coaching as well, but whatever the reason, that part of his game is still unsatisfactory.
sportstalk
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorJay26 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 pm

100% accurate ^^^
GatorJay26
True Gator

Postby AlwaysWrite » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Frustrating, because Driskel seemed to be making big progress week to week early in the season. He made some great plays under pressure, accurate throws down the field while scrambling in the Tennessee game. Haven't seen that since.

Yes, he needs to get better knowing when to tuck and run (he had an easy first down running at one point, but threw a 3-yard pass where the guy was tackled instantly well short of the first down), when to keep the play alive and look downfield, when to dump it off quick on a blitz, and when to throw it into the 5th row.
==========
The commercial told me to "Go write the great American novel," so I did.
Thought-provoking sci-fi novels, just $2.99:
www.davidderrico.com
AlwaysWrite
Freshman Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah the offense NEEDS to get better and work on things these next 2 games. We should DESTROY these next two teams and hang over 50 on each but I'm afraid the scores are only going to be something like 33-10. A win is a win though and hopefully we will get to 10 wins with ease. I just hope these next two games are not "Furman" type games where we have to squeak out a win. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 pm

f18bundy wrote:The line is not perfect but you have to be part of the Driskell posse to believe they are the reason for so many 100 yd and worse passing performances. Kid is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds and he knows it. It's why he hangs on to the ball so long; doesn't trust his ability to throw into tight coverage. Time to give Brissett a 2 game audition before FSU ruins the season.

brissett would be absolutely abused with this oline.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorJay26 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Well let's put it this way, driskel is starter because of is feet, which he does not use correctly most the time. And how do you know that brissett wouldn't be able to make the correct calls for protection, and get rid of it quicker. You are speculating
GatorJay26
True Gator

Postby GatorKen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Driskel has to make some throws. Pressure or not, he has to make the throws and force the defense to respect his arm. Until he does it, the defense won't care and they will load the box and keep coming after him. As they should. Imo, Driskel cannot beat anyone with his arm so why would another team let us run on them?

Driskel has shown he has the ability to stand back there and deliver a pass but he has to do it accurately and make it work.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby Kilzyo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Muschamp should see what Brissett can do in these next two games...prolly won't happen but it should.
Kilzyo
True Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum