Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ancient Reptile, Clawhammergator, divits888, f18bundy, g8rbob, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, mtn2top and 54 guests

Jeff Driskel Surprising Me This Year

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Jeff Driskel Surprising Me This Year

Postby jdezenzio » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Jeff is really surprising me this year. He ranks 23rd in the nation in passing efficiency at (158.02), and I believed it would take him another year to get comfortable in the offense. I'm wondering if our new OC has anything to do with this?

He's also surprisingly accurate while on the run. He reminds me of RGIII when running and throwing. He's only thrown 1 INT this year and he doesn't make crazy passes. He also runs a little like Manziel from AM.

I was expecting great things out of Jeff when he arrived, but I think he's going to turn a lot of heads this year as the season progresses.
JDezenzio
Owner - NCAAStatPages.com
jdezenzio
Redshirt Gator

Re: Jeff Driskel Surprising Me This Year

Postby unofficialgator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Biggest suprise was how we went from a lock on target guy to being able to read off safeties in the span of two games. I've never seen such incredible improvement so quick. If he continues at this rate, It's hard to see us losing...
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm

I think RG3 had a stronger arm than Driskel.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorintheKnox » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 pm

I was worried before the season started. After last year, I thought this was going to be Brissett's team. Jeff looked so uncomfortable last year (against the best of the SEC granted) that I didn't know if he had the stuff to be successful in this league. The kid has blown me away so far this season. To think that we could have this kid for two more years after this one makes me think that another MNC is not out of the realm of possibility. I've become a big Driskel fan and can't wait to see how he does against LSU this weekend.
GatorintheKnox
All-American Gator

Postby G8RNGA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:24 pm

His ability to pick up more of the playbook/offense, read defenses, correct his mistakes, and keep the turnovers low is very fun to watch. The kid is growing up as a QB in front of us. That's not to say he won't make young QB mistakes, but I'm loving what I see from him. I didn't know if he was going to be able to unseat Brissett from last year, but he has done well and it's easy to see why the coaches love him. Keep up the great work JD!
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby divits888 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Didn’t surprise me one iota.
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby BSJGator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm with Divits....He keeps this up, especially at the current rate of improvement, and it'll be hard for him not to finish in the top 10 of He15man balloting...
BSJGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Homer J » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Imagine next year with the new O-lineman coming in, our returning O-lineman coming back and a years worth of experience. If the receiver step up and the TEs (Taylor & Thompson) become part of the offense, we could be dangerous.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby MatthewM. » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Jeff is progressing nicely, I think his potential is through the roof.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby MJMGator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 pm

He's been a welcomed surprise and I think he's exceeding most of our expectations this year. This team seems to be full of hard-working, coachable kids that just want to continue getting better. I'm feeling about the type of program Muschamp is building. The future looks bright.
Go Gators!
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby divits888 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:07 pm

The sad thing is that despite the ability he has shown with his passing accuracy, his strong arm, his running ability and his week by week growth in understanding the system, one bad game and the naysayers will be back in droves. :?
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 pm

He has the talent. But he also has a level head and is not a prima donna. He will go far. We are trying to build a championship team (Coach Muschamp would say a championship program) with good people. A winning combination.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:09 pm

G8RNGA wrote:His ability to pick up more of the playbook/offense, read defenses, correct his mistakes, and keep the turnovers low is very fun to watch. The kid is growing up as a QB in front of us. That's not to say he won't make young QB mistakes, but I'm loving what I see from him. I didn't know if he was going to be able to unseat Brissett from last year, but he has done well and it's easy to see why the coaches love him. Keep up the great work JD!

and those mistakes are more likely to happen over the month of Oct as we hit the meat of the schedule. I just hope (and this is probably absolutely worthless to even hope for but) that UF fans don't turn on him if he has less than a stellar game/s during this stretch. As things stand now 3 of the next four games are against top 10 teams and 1 for sure but most likely 2 of them will be ranked top 5 when we play them. That is an unbelievably tough stretch for any QB let alone a true soph starting only his 5th game this weekend.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatordad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:20 pm

+1
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:36 pm

divits888 wrote:The sad thing is that despite the ability he has shown with his passing accuracy, his strong arm, his running ability and his week by week growth in understanding the system, one bad game and the naysayers will be back in droves. :?

Doubtful. Maybe if it was the other way around, as in only having one good game sandwiched by multiple bad games. At this point JD has more than proven his ability to lead the Gators and develop his QB skills. Does he still have a long way to go? Yes, but he's proven to be a quick learner and his potential is through the roof. It was a pleasant surprise for me, considering after the spring game I felt that Brissett was a bit better than JD still.

Maybe I shouldn't speak for other naysayers, but this naysayer is perfectly content to enjoy the Driskel era; good and bad. My only hope is that somehow Brissett can sneak a redshirt year in just to get a year of separation, as I'd love to see him get his shot to lead the Gators as well.

Don't forget, divits, that at the end of the day we're all (well most) Gators and really just want to see our team win :cool:
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby Quasimodo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:04 pm

What has he done that is surprising? He's been the quintessential game manager to this point. We're expecting much bigger production in the future from Driskel, once he becomes more comfortable and learns the entire offense.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Postby divits888 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:05 pm

I Have No Friends :( wrote:
divits888 wrote:The sad thing is that despite the ability he has shown with his passing accuracy, his strong arm, his running ability and his week by week growth in understanding the system, one bad game and the naysayers will be back in droves. :?

Doubtful. Maybe if it was the other way around, as in only having one good game sandwiched by multiple bad games. At this point JD has more than proven his ability to lead the Gators and develop his QB skills. Does he still have a long way to go? Yes, but he's proven to be a quick learner and his potential is through the roof. It was a pleasant surprise for me, considering after the spring game I felt that Brissett was a bit better than JD still.

Maybe I shouldn't speak for other naysayers, but this naysayer is perfectly content to enjoy the Driskel era; good and bad. My only hope is that somehow Brissett can sneak a redshirt year in just to get a year of separation, as I'd love to see him get his shot to lead the Gators as well.

Don't forget, divits, that at the end of the day we're all (well most) Gators and really just want to see our team win :cool:

As was my point repeatedly during the Driskel/Brissett debates. I would have thought as Gators we would want them BOTH to succeed. But I seem to recall some people taking the opportunity to get quite personal in their attacks on Driskel. And someone even called me out during a game claiming that “my boy” Driskel was screwing up. ;)

Whatever. Go Gators. :lol:
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:07 pm

divits888 wrote:
I Have No Friends :( wrote:

As was my point repeatedly during the Driskel/Brissett debates. I would have thought as Gators we would want them BOTH to succeed. But I seem to recall some people taking the opportunity to get quite personal in their attacks. Someone even called me out during a game claiming that “my boy” Driskel was screwing up. ;)

Whatever. Go Gators. :lol:

Would those of us who love to post here continue to do so if this wasn't the case? :lol: :cool:
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby Coach9 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 pm

WobbleGator wrote:I think RG3 had a stronger arm than Driskel.

I'm not so sure. I still remember the throw JD made in the HS all-star game.
Running right with no momentum towards the line of scrimmage, he threw it 65 yds in the air while falling out of bounds. Receiver dropped it or you'd see the highlight more often.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatortracker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:10 pm

In his senior year Underarmor game he threw a 65 yard perfect strike hit the receiver in the chest while he was on the run..and it was accomplished with just a simple flick of his wrist..truly amazingly done.
gatortracker
Senior Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum