Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 205Gator, divits888, gatorJ, Gatornation561, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leroy Jenkins, MSNbot Media, ockgator, WobbleGator and 39 guests

Has this ever been said of UF?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby wuerffelball7 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting Chris Lowe of ESPN: "Pardon the pun, but it’s the kind of roll that begs an obvious question: Is Alabama on the verge of taking off and leaving everybody else in the SEC in its crimson dust?"
Link to article: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/5 ... es-a-stand

I had to roll my eyes after reading that, but began to wonder, after all the SEC championship years and the 3 NC's, if anyone ever said this about us. Maybe they did, but my memory doesn't serve me well. To me, it was always as if fans of other teams never saw us being a year-in year-out dominant team. They were afraid of us a couple times, but never got the feeling we were going to keep dominating for years to come. They may be/have been partially right. Now we see the notion that as long as Saban is at Bama then they will continue to be dominant.
Regardless, I am so ready to get to that point where it can be said of us!
Just thinking out loud here.

Go Gators! One game at a time.
wuerffelball7
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby JOHNG » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 am

I would not be too worried about this, with all of their BS to get/pay top recruits (escalade SUVs--houses for their momas, etc.), sooner or later some scandal will bring saban & ala down--even if the ncaa if toothless & hypocritical (i.e. scan newton & the $170,000 pay for play)
JOHNG
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby BoomTown » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:10 am

Yes there was a time when UF was treated the same. It was '95/'96 that it was often said by the media that in the SEC there's UF and then there's everyone else playing for 2nd place.

However, the difference IMHO is that the SEC wasn't as good then as it is now. We knew after game 3 and the anual beat down of UTooth that we'd win the SEC title. Awburn had a few good teams, but otherwise the West was a train wreck (much like the East the previous few years). UTooth was the only team with a chance of hanging with us and that was slim hopes on their part. (Amazingly, we still managed to lose to a West team every year (save 95). I'm convinced a curse was placed on UF when the conference was split.)

There's no denying SOS is a great coach, but he also caught a break in that the rest of the SEC was on a down cycle. Now however, Satan is doing it against the best top to bottom conference in the history of the SEC and possibly the history of the sport. Have there ever been 5 teams from ANY conference in the top 10? Then let's not forget the SEC's MNC streak. Probation or an untimely accident may be the only thing that derails the Satan train anytime soon.
User avatar
BoomTown
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 pm
Location: The Queen City, NC

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby The RH Factor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 am

Success is rented, it isn't owned.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 4178
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby Swamp82 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Hold on to it while you can, you can't stay on top forever
If you would like to keep your coach you can
User avatar
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: NW Florida

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby G8RNGA » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:56 am

I also believe their history in the SEC causes the media to quickly jump on the bandwagon. There is no doubt that Saban is building a strong program, but I would equate it to what SOS did in the '90s. Steve came into the league when it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust and started throwing it around on slow defenses. For the most part, he would rack up points early and then hang on. I disagree that the SEC wasn't that good then - it was just a different style of play that Spurrier came into and took advantage of.

Saban has taken the NFL mentality of playing strong defense. limit turnovers, control TOP, and run the ball mentality in a league that is once again trying to define itself. You've had multiple teams change head coaches (UT, UF, AUB, Ole Miss, Miss St., Ark, etc.) with the only team that has stability and coaching longevity is LSU. Not surprisingly, the two top teams in the SEC have been Alabama and LSU.

Saban is riding the perfect storm in a way similar to SOS, when the league had a lot of change. Not only did these teams in the West change head coaches, many changed offensive schemes. It's all cyclical. Alabama should enjoy the ride -- Florida did in the '90s.
User avatar
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3075
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby unofficialgator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 am

They aint as good as ya'll think, im tellin you
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:09 am

The same stuff was said about UF in 08 and 09 (before the SECCG). Winning 2 of 3 NC and then going through the regular season undefeated and everyone thought UF was on cruise control. I don't remember much about what was said in the 90s except that yes everyone said it was UF/ut and everyone else. It's worse now for bama because in today's media everything happening now has to be "THE GREATEST THING EVER"
User avatar
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby unofficialgator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:12 am

-THE DUDE- wrote:The same stuff was said about UF in 08 and 09 (before the SECCG). Winning 2 of 3 NC and then going through the regular season undefeated and everyone thought UF was on cruise control. I don't remember much about what was said in the 90s except that yes everyone said it was UF/ut and everyone else. It's worse now for bama because in today's media everything happening now has to be "THE GREATEST THING EVER"

omg soo true this is what i despise most about espn!!
unofficialgator
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby BoomTown » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:15 am

G8RNGA wrote:I also believe their history in the SEC causes the media to quickly jump on the bandwagon. There is no doubt that Saban is building a strong program, but I would equate it to what SOS did in the '90s. Steve came into the league when it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust and started throwing it around on slow defenses. For the most part, he would rack up points early and then hang on. I disagree that the SEC wasn't that good then - it was just a different style of play that Spurrier came into and took advantage of.

I agree with your disagreement...because you misunderstood what I was saying. ;)

The SEC was a power conference in the 90s. There were still plenty of good teams and it was common for 3-5 teams to be in the top 25. However, they weren't AS good as they are now. Two SEC MNCs in the 90s vs. 7 of the last 10 (and our only loss is to ourselves). The SEC has gone from being a power conference to being the premier conference.
User avatar
BoomTown
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 pm
Location: The Queen City, NC

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 am

BoomTown wrote:
G8RNGA wrote:I also believe their history in the SEC causes the media to quickly jump on the bandwagon. There is no doubt that Saban is building a strong program, but I would equate it to what SOS did in the '90s. Steve came into the league when it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust and started throwing it around on slow defenses. For the most part, he would rack up points early and then hang on. I disagree that the SEC wasn't that good then - it was just a different style of play that Spurrier came into and took advantage of.

I agree with your disagreement...because you misunderstood what I was saying. ;)

The SEC was a power conference in the 90s. There were still plenty of good teams and it was common for 3-5 teams to be in the top 25. However, they weren't AS good as they are now. Two SEC MNCs in the 90s vs. 7 of the last 10 (and our only loss is to ourselves). The SEC has gone from being a power conference to being the premier conference.

I believe this is incorrect.
Last edited by WobbleGator on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 13846
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby G8RNGA » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 am

BoomTown wrote:
G8RNGA wrote:I also believe their history in the SEC causes the media to quickly jump on the bandwagon. There is no doubt that Saban is building a strong program, but I would equate it to what SOS did in the '90s. Steve came into the league when it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust and started throwing it around on slow defenses. For the most part, he would rack up points early and then hang on. I disagree that the SEC wasn't that good then - it was just a different style of play that Spurrier came into and took advantage of.

I agree with your disagreement...because you misunderstood what I was saying. ;)

The SEC was a power conference in the 90s. There were still plenty of good teams and it was common for 3-5 teams to be in the top 25. However, they weren't AS good as they are now. Two SEC MNCs in the 90s vs. 7 of the last 10 (and our only loss is to ourselves). The SEC has gone from being a power conference to being the premier conference.

Ahhh, ok, I see what you mean. I think Florida helped changed that landscape when we were selected to play Ohio St. in '06 and beat the daylights out of them. It all started then.
User avatar
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3075
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby GatorInKnox » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 am

I'm just waiting until they get investigated. I don't understand how NOTHING ever came from the whole Trent Richardson deal.

And yes, I'm like every football fan and anyone who is succeeding other than Florida must be cheating :D
User avatar
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3581
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby BoomTown » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:27 am

WobbleGator wrote:
BoomTown wrote:
G8RNGA wrote:I also believe their history in the SEC causes the media to quickly jump on the bandwagon. There is no doubt that Saban is building a strong program, but I would equate it to what SOS did in the '90s. Steve came into the league when it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust and started throwing it around on slow defenses. For the most part, he would rack up points early and then hang on. I disagree that the SEC wasn't that good then - it was just a different style of play that Spurrier came into and took advantage of.

I agree with your disagreement...because you misunderstood what I was saying. ;)

The SEC was a power conference in the 90s. There were still plenty of good teams and it was common for 3-5 teams to be in the top 25. However, they weren't AS good as they are now. Two SEC MNCs in the 90s vs. 7 of the last 10 (and our only loss is to ourselves). The SEC has gone from being a power conference to being the premier conference.

I believe this is incorrect.

Good catch. I forgot about Abalama 92. However, point still stands.
User avatar
BoomTown
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 pm
Location: The Queen City, NC

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 am

BoomTown wrote:
WobbleGator wrote:
BoomTown wrote:
G8RNGA wrote:I also believe their history in the SEC causes the media to quickly jump on the bandwagon. There is no doubt that Saban is building a strong program, but I would equate it to what SOS did in the '90s. Steve came into the league when it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust and started throwing it around on slow defenses. For the most part, he would rack up points early and then hang on. I disagree that the SEC wasn't that good then - it was just a different style of play that Spurrier came into and took advantage of.

I agree with your disagreement...because you misunderstood what I was saying. ;)

The SEC was a power conference in the 90s. There were still plenty of good teams and it was common for 3-5 teams to be in the top 25. However, they weren't AS good as they are now. Two SEC MNCs in the 90s vs. 7 of the last 10 (and our only loss is to ourselves). The SEC has gone from being a power conference to being the premier conference.

I believe this is incorrect.

Good catch. I forgot about Abalama 92. However, point still stands.

Yes it does, I just wanted to be a d0uche and point out your mistake. :lol:
Last edited by WobbleGator on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 13846
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby BoomTown » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 am

WobbleGator wrote:
BoomTown wrote:
G8RNGA wrote:I also believe their history in the SEC causes the media to quickly jump on the bandwagon. There is no doubt that Saban is building a strong program, but I would equate it to what SOS did in the '90s. Steve came into the league when it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust and started throwing it around on slow defenses. For the most part, he would rack up points early and then hang on. I disagree that the SEC wasn't that good then - it was just a different style of play that Spurrier came into and took advantage of.

I agree with your disagreement...because you misunderstood what I was saying. ;)

The SEC was a power conference in the 90s. There were still plenty of good teams and it was common for 3-5 teams to be in the top 25. However, they weren't AS good as they are now. Two SEC MNCs in the 90s vs. 7 of the last 10 (and our only loss is to ourselves). The SEC has gone from being a power conference to being the premier conference.

I believe this is incorrect.

Wobble, you play the part very well. ;)
Last edited by BoomTown on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BoomTown
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 pm
Location: The Queen City, NC

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby FullMoonMadness » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:57 am

G8RNGA wrote: You've had multiple teams change head coaches (UT, UF, AUB, Ole Miss, Miss St., Ark, etc.) with the only team that has stability and coaching longevity is LSU. Not surprisingly, the two top teams in the SEC have been Alabama and LSU.


Mark Richt is technically the longest consecutively tenured coach in the SEC as he was hired in 2001, and that is usually the requirement to be considered the "dean" of SEC coaches. Gary Pinkel was hired at Mizzou the same year, but doesn't qualify for the discussion.
~Full Moon Madness

"All hail, Florida, hail."
User avatar
FullMoonMadness
Redshirt Gator
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby WashingtonDCGator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 am

unofficialgator wrote:They aint as good as ya'll think, im tellin you


Until someone beats them, I won't believe this.
WashingtonDCGator
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby WashingtonDCGator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:30 am

The same things were said about UF during our late 2000s run when we were king dingaling in college football. 'Bama's the new "It" program. Comes with the territory. They'll be replaced with another Flavor of the Month when they come back down to earth and lose a few games.
WashingtonDCGator
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Has this ever been said of UF?

Postby law98gator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 am

The same was said about us when we won 4 straight SEC championships and a NC between 93-96.

Wake me up when Trailerbama wins three in a row.

They are currently on zero.






Besides, I thought Cal South was the current "never going to lose again" team? Oh, yeah, that was last week.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16881
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum

cron