Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChattanooGATOR, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 25 guests

This is the weekend I HATE living overseas

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

This is the weekend I HATE living overseas

Postby GatorRock » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Every year. Every FRIGGIN' year I HATE the first weekend in October living abroad.

You see we have ESPN America- not a normal ESPN, but one that shows American sports all day long (even from other US networks), plus some of the ESPN shows (PTI, Around the horn, a version of Sports Center) -- but the first weekend of October SUCKS.

Why you may ask? Because baseball playoffs begin- and to the ESPN programmers that is more important than ANY college football game. And if CBS picks up the UF v LSU game (like they have)-- I can't watch it live. CBS online won't allow viewings outside of the US-- and ESPN obviously doesn't have rights-- so they don't show it until TUESDAY MORNING. So you can't watch ANY other game online as they may reveal the score or results! So NO college football for me until the next morning when I have to search torrent sites to download the game or hope to "rent" it from SECDigital network, but they can take days to put up the CBS games. Plus can't visit any other normal news site or social site on the internet for fear of spoiling.

Arrrgghhhh!!!!
GatorRock
Senior Gator

Re: This is the weekend I HATE living overseas

Postby G8RNGA » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm

That is a tough situation. With all of the technology out there, you'd think there would be a better way.
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby FullMoonMadness » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm not sure how Gator clubs work overseas, but Gator clubs in the states can usually show games that are blacked out/pay-per-view/etc. because the UAA provides a satellite link -- if memory serves me correctly.

Is there a Gator club in your neck of the woods, and is that satellite link an option for them?
~Full Moon Madness

"All hail, Florida, hail."
FullMoonMadness
Redshirt Gator

Postby FullMoonMadness » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Another option, of which I have not tested, is to use a proxy located in the states to watch the game. In order to get a reliable proxy, you may have to pay a monthly fee.
~Full Moon Madness

FullMoonMadness
Redshirt Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:53 pm

I wonder if a Slingbox would work overseas. I doubt it....but if it did, that would be a great way to go. Just piggyback off of a friend/family member in the states.

Edit to add: I just checked a few different places and it seems a Slingbox may actually work. :scratchchin:
Last edited by Jabberdave on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby IDGAC » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Also you can check the first row sports site. Just google "first row sports"; it'll come up.
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby IDGAC » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Jabberdave wrote:I wonder if a Slingbox would work overseas. I doubt it....but if it did, that would be a great way to go. Just piggyback off of a friend/family member in the states.

Why wouldn't it? The interwebs is world wide (WWW = world wide web)
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:55 pm

IDGAC wrote:
Jabberdave wrote:I wonder if a Slingbox would work overseas. I doubt it....but if it did, that would be a great way to go. Just piggyback off of a friend/family member in the states.

That is what I was thinking, but I'm not all that tech savvy.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby GatorRock » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Jabberdave wrote:
IDGAC wrote:

Actually it works great, I just don't have one.

How I know this works is that I am part of the London Gator Club, heck I'm the one who runs the website-- and to show the Gator game live, the club president has a sling box set-up with family back in the US... we've worked out with the sports bar we watch the games at to set-up a couple TVs to broadcast the slingbox for us.

My problem, I live in Oxford and can only afford to go to London 1 or 2 times a football season and I just went for the A&M game and have plans to go for the FSU game. [I have a 7 month old and I can't just leave him with the wife like that].

Now if any of you fine folks have a slingbox and would be willing to offer it up Saturday....

As for first row-- I'll take a look.

The proxy thing can be very mixed- sometimes it's great- other times the proxy breaks down and just too slow to show the game. Mind you I am working on that with a friend...
GatorRock
Senior Gator

Postby FullMoonMadness » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm

GatorRock wrote:
Jabberdave wrote:
IDGAC wrote:

Actually it works great, I just don't have one.

How I know this works is that I am part of the London Gator Club, heck I'm the one who runs the website-- and to show the Gator game live, the club president has a sling box set-up with family back in the US... we've worked out with the sports bar we watch the games at to set-up a couple TVs to broadcast the slingbox for us.

My problem, I live in Oxford and can only afford to go to London 1 or 2 times a football season and I just went for the A&M game and have plans to go for the FSU game. [I have a 7 month old and I can't just leave him with the wife like that].

Now if any of you fine folks have a slingbox and would be willing to offer it up Saturday....

As for first row-- I'll take a look.

The proxy thing can be very mixed- sometimes it's great- other times the proxy breaks down and just too slow to show the game. Mind you I am working on that with a friend...

I don't know if you subscribe to a proxy, but free ones tend to be iffy. I'd like to think that subscribing to a proxy would guarantee you better performance. But as I said, I've never tested it.
~Full Moon Madness

FullMoonMadness
Redshirt Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm

My first advice would be to stop being a communist and living in foreign countries.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby WashingtonDCGator » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:27 pm

MatthewM. wrote:My first advice would be to stop being a communist and living in foreign countries.

Ahhhhh. Gotta love American arrogance.
WashingtonDCGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby tillsb » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:21 pm

WashingtonDCGator wrote:
MatthewM. wrote:My first advice would be to stop being a communist and living in foreign countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eooXNd0heM
tillsb
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorinperu » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:25 pm

There are many options online, try http://www.wiziwig.tv, or atdhe.eu/, or first row sports.
I usually go to a bar in Lima, Peru, to watch Gator sports, and usually meet other Gator fans... Gator nation IS everywhere!
gatorinperu
Redshirt Gator

Postby tillsb » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 pm

I have used atdhe before
tillsb
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 pm

FullMoonMadness wrote:Another option, of which I have not tested, is to use a proxy located in the states to watch the game. In order to get a reliable proxy, you may have to pay a monthly fee.

"FullMoonMadness", are you related to "Lunathick" ? :embarrassed:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WashingtonDCGator » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 pm

tillsb wrote:
WashingtonDCGator wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eooXNd0heM

:lol:
WashingtonDCGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby FlyingGator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:01 am

Man, I can feel your pain. This week shouldn't be bad for me, as they should play the game this weekend because it will be one of the top games this weekend, but AFN only plays 2 games for each time slot or whatever... so they games I care about are usually super-ceded by BS like the WVU-baylor or OSU-MSU games.
FlyingGator on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:21 pm wrote:Watkins is a baller. Give him two years.
FlyingGator
Freshman Gator

Postby EuroGator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:37 am

Rock, I totally get you. To make things worse (for me), I'll be coming back into town while the LSU @ UF game is on.
:gaah:

However, I'll share my solution and maybe that will help. I have subscribed to GatorVision (only ~ $10/month) and you can access any game replay - I think even from seasons back to 2005, as well as 1988. If you're a basketball fan, you can watch those too. Also, GatorVision has been much better this year about getting the games uploaded quickly. This year the games are posted by some time on Sunday. You also get Florida Football with Will Muschamp and all of the free stuff like interviews with the players and coaches.

If you combine that with ESPN America (if you get lucky and they choose to show it) and the options already mentioned here for live viewing (firstrow and wiziwig) you should be able to see most stuff live or within a day or two.

Go Gators!
Work 'em silly Gators!
:chomp:
EuroGator
Senior Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum