Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clawhammergator, GatorJB, Google Adsense [Bot], Gouryella, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MSNbot Media, ReelGatorDoc, Swamp Queen, WobbleGator and 62 guests

Jimmy Ray Stephens = unemployed

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Jimmy Ray Stephens = unemployed

Postby BMF » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Former UF player & OL Coach Jimmy Ray Stephens resigned from his job as OL coach at Middle Tennessee State, where he's been the OL coach for the last six seasons...possibly due to his "ego" (according to reports):

http://www.dnj.com/article/20120215/BLU ... aiders.com

MTSU offensive line coach Jimmy Ray Stephens resigned after being told to share duties with a new assistant.

On Tuesday night, MTSU head coach Rick Stockstill told Stephens, a six-year offensive line coach, he would only coach tackles next season while a new coach would handle centers and guards. Instead, Stephens resigned immediately over what he called a “difference in philosophy of the structure of the coaching staff.”

Stephens, 57, was the highest paid assistant on MTSU’s staff, and Stockstill said his pay would have remained the same in his new position.

“That was discussed. His pay was not going to be cut, and it was explained over and over that it was not a demotion,” Stockstill said. “I really thought having a second set of eyes on the offensive line would help us, and I explained that. Jimmy Ray balked at it because he didn’t want to give up the responsibility of coaching all five (linemen).”

When reached by phone Wednesday, Stephens cited pride and his disagreement with Stockstill over the coaching change as the reasons for his resignation.

Stephens was among MTSU’s longest tenured assistants, and his offensive line had garnered numerous accolades. At MTSU, Stephens’ offensive line allowed only eight sacks in 12 games last season, ranking second in the nation. His offensive lines produced eight All-Sun Belt performers in six seasons, including MTSU’s only first-team (Colin Boss) and second-team (Brandon McLeroy) selections last season despite a 2-10 record.

Stephens was Florida’s offensive line coach under Steve Spurrier on the Gators’ 1996 national title team, and he served the same role for Phillip Fulmer at Tennessee from 2002-05. Stephens was a two-time All-SEC player at center and tight end at Florida.

----
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Re: Jimmy Ray Stephens = unemployed

Postby g8trs99 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Maybe Muschamp can make a call and get a proven OL coach in here (Jimmy Ray). But he does like the NFL washouts.
g8trs99
True Gator

Postby gatorJ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Jimmy Ray sucked. His departure to UT was our secret weapon.
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby vulcan_alex » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Perhaps at 57 he really does not need the money. No matter what they said or paid he had less responsibility and authority, therefore it is a demotion.

We don't need any more changes in our staff than we already have in my opinion.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby gatesm1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:44 pm

I have it on pretty good word that he was on the campus of Walton High in DeFuniak Springs talking about the open AD/Head Football position this past week.
gatesm1
Freshman Gator

Postby gatordad3 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:50 pm

g8trs99 wrote:Maybe Muschamp can make a call and get a proven OL coach in here (Jimmy Ray). But he does like the NFL washouts.

We already have a new O-line coach. Boom just gave Verducci the boot.
gatordad3
Heisman Gator

Postby g8trs99 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 am

gatordad3 wrote:
g8trs99 wrote:Maybe Muschamp can make a call and get a proven OL coach in here (Jimmy Ray). But he does like the NFL washouts.

I know. Why do you think I said NFL washout.
g8trs99
True Gator

Postby g8trs99 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:20 am

gatorJ wrote:Jimmy Ray sucked. His departure to UT was our secret weapon.

His worst OL at Florida was better than ours has ever been in the last two years.
g8trs99
True Gator

Postby ncargat1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:24 am

Jimmy Ray Stephens did NOTHING speacial at UF and he was often criticized for "under coaching" the o-line. Granted, some of it was Spurrier's scheme, but go watch the FSU game in Tallahassee from the 1996 season and tell me if you want THAT o-line coach back? Danny still has headaches from that game.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:34 am

Even Tennessee got rid of him. He has gone from Florida to Tennessee to Middle Tennessee State. See a trend?
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby TN G8tr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:09 pm

All down hill for JRS. Not sure what to think about MTSU, but working for Stockstill (Former Nole) ain't sayin much.
"Wake her *** up, we got a game to play."
TN G8tr
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Jimmy Ray Stephens has proven to produce mediocre to bad offensive lines.

His rep used to be good recruiter, mehhhh coach. Good OL coaches don't get pushed out of Middle Tennessee.

No thanks.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

g8trs99 wrote:
gatorJ wrote:Jimmy Ray sucked. His departure to UT was our secret weapon.

His worst OL at Florida was better than ours has ever been in the last two years.

Sucking slightly less than Addazio isn't the standard around here.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby ChattanooGATOR » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Stay away from coaches with 3 first names. Research shows they're 287% more likely to become serial killers.
ChattanooGATOR
All-American Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Did he ever play hurt while playing for UF? He could coach for us if he did.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:23 pm

gatordad3 wrote:

But was Verducci seen in Gainesville in a boot :question: :question:
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorspook » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:32 pm

I know a few people who new JRS personally, and said he was a really great guy. Larry Vettel said once that he violated the unwritten rule about media getting to close to coaches with JRS....

A lot of people really liked him.
gatorspook

Postby law98gator » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:58 pm

I heard the same thing. Great guy and recruiter.

OL coach? Not so much.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gatesm1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Just read that JRS is going to be employed again....just where I said earlier, at Walton High School.

http://www.varsitysportswest.com/articl ... phens.html
gatesm1
Freshman Gator

Postby BMF » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks for the link.

Wow! He is 63-7 as a high school coach w/ a state title. Said he was miserable coaching at MTSU. Ya think?!?!

Coming back to Florida HS ball also, likely, allows him to vest in the Florida State Pension System...as I'm sure he didn't make too much coaching at MTSU...and when he came to UF in the early 90's most position coaches made less than $100K, so unless he has something put away he likely needs to coach for a few more years to build that pension up. Good for him. He's also a UF grad, so it will be good to get a UF coach in the panhandle (where Saban seems to have a grip on many of those high schools).

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum