Who is online

Users browsing this forum: emoryandhenry, Google [Bot], MSN NewsBlogs, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, WobbleGator and 60 guests

Charlie Weis

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Charlie Weis

Postby gator87 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:48 pm

moved up to the coaches box to call the plays last week, that worked like a charm. Maybe this week he can call the plays from his house.
gator87
All-American Gator

Re: Charlie Weis

Postby NoVa Gator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:50 pm

The dude is overrated.
NoVa Gator
Heisman Gator

Postby murdamal86 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:56 pm

I actually don't think he called a bad game. Our execution is terrible and we need a power back. If you go back to our 06 and 08 teams, Wynn (in 06), Moore, and Tebow were used effectively to limit the hits on Rainey and Demps. I don't know why they don't use Burton and Joyner more just for some power football. Next year once we add more power in the backfield and flush out this SR class, I expect our offense to take off. It's not like he called plays that didn't have a prayer in working; our exection is terrible.

Now, i DIDN'T like how he rarely kept a back in to help with pass protection, that was foolish.
Last edited by murdamal86 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murdamal86
Senior Gator

Postby dp 83 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Knuckleheads! Not Charlie, either. No OC in the country could do any better than what Charlie has been dealt. Let's recap:
1. An OL that can't block.
2. Small, often injured RBs, doing their best behind an OL that can't block.
3. An injured QB with no qaulity backup with ANY experience.
4. WRs that are not stepping up.

Most of our issues are the previous staff's fault. I really think this group of guys weren't taught very well.
dp 83
True Gator

Postby DCflorida » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:57 pm

NoVa Gator wrote:The dude is overrated.

Typical response from you. You'd be criticizing whoever was coaching Florida. Get your digs in while you can, Florida will NOT be down forever.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby gatorspook » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 pm

DCflorida wrote:

Typical response from you. You'd be criticizing whoever was coaching Florida. Get your digs in while you can, Florida will NOT be down forever.

Remember, his name translates to Don't Go Gators....

My only complaint is that they didn't get Driskel ready to go for a few series.
gatorspook

Postby DCflorida » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

murdamal86 wrote:I actually don't think he called a bad game. Our execution is terrible and we need a power back. If you go back to our 06 and 08 teams, Wynn (in 06), Moore, and Tebow were used effectively to limit the hits on Rainey and Demps. I don't know why they don't use Burton and Joyner more just for some power football. Next year once we add more power in the backfield and flush out this SR class, I expect our offense to take off. It's not like he called plays that didn't have a prayer in working; our exection is terrible.

Now, i DIDN'T like how he rarely kept a back in to help with pass protection, that was foolish.

We have fairly recent examples of the type of rb we desprately need. Any of the following would work wonders right about now:

Ciatrick Fason
Ernest Graham
Erict Rhett
Fred Taylor
Terry Jackson

And the following guys had the right measureables, just not the right intangibles such as heart and desire: Emmanuel Moody, Kestahn Moore and Deshawn Wynn.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby gator87 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

murdamal86 wrote:I actually don't think he called a bad game. Our execution is terrible and we need a power back. If you go back to our 06 and 08 teams, Wynn (in 06), Moore, and Tebow were used effectively to limit the hits on Rainey and Demps. I don't know why they don't use Burton and Joyner more just for some power football. Next year once we add more power in the backfield and flush out this SR class, I expect our offense to take off. It's not like he called plays that didn't have a prayer in working; our exection is terrible.

I don't totally fault Charlie, I know the talent is way below average especially on the O-line. I just thought with two weeks to prepare he would have come up with a few more wrinkles. Having Burton as the short yardage back wasn't a wrinkle I was looking for. It's just frustrating that this offense is so inept, other teams have freshmen that come in and contribute right away we can't get contributions from sophs and juniors.
gator87
All-American Gator

Postby DCflorida » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:09 pm

gatorspook wrote:
DCflorida wrote:

Remember, his name translates to Don't Go Gators....

I thought Driskel would have been a great move too with his scrambling ability. Instead of sacks on some of those plays, you probably end up with scrambles for first downs, just like his 30-yard scramble v. Bama. With the o-line collapsing, a mobile qb could be a major difference-maker.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby Gator^2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm

gatorspook wrote:

This plus the delay of game penalties. Those are all on Weis.
Gator^2
Head Ball Coach

Postby ACappsUF29 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:16 pm

I don't understand the hate on Weis. We had to be a one-dimensional offense and he was able to draw up some good pass plays even when the defense knew that the pass was coming 100% of the time. No one fears our rushing attack anymore. The game would have been ugly if Weis didn't bring out the 5 WR sets and throw the ball as much as we did. I love Weis and can't wait til he gets the players in here to run a feared offense.
ACappsUF29
Senior Gator

Postby gatorspook » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Gator^2 wrote:
gatorspook wrote:

This plus the delay of game penalties. Those are all on Weis.

In the early parts of games, when they script the plays, we look crisp and efficient. Just saying....
gatorspook

Postby LeftCoastGator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:51 pm

ACappsUF29 wrote:I don't understand the hate on Weis. We had to be a one-dimensional offense and he was able to draw up some good pass plays even when the defense knew that the pass was coming 100% of the time. No one fears our rushing attack anymore. The game would have been ugly if Weis didn't bring out the 5 WR sets and throw the ball as much as we did. I love Weis and can't wait til he gets the players in here to run a feared offense.

I'm convinced people aren't watching the games and just going by stats. FFS, how many times did Brantley get the snap and just fling the damn football somewhere on the field? He wasn't even trying to execute plays he just became a liability back there.

My only...ONLY...complaint to Muschamp/Weis is why they didn't yank his ass. He clearly was hurting and he'd rather be sitting on the bench than out on the field; you could see it in his face. Put Driskel/Brissett in there, they could not have done any worse and they would have at least tried to win the game.
LeftCoastGator
True Gator

Postby murdamal86 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:09 pm

LeftCoastGator wrote:
ACappsUF29 wrote:I don't understand the hate on Weis. We had to be a one-dimensional offense and he was able to draw up some good pass plays even when the defense knew that the pass was coming 100% of the time. No one fears our rushing attack anymore. The game would have been ugly if Weis didn't bring out the 5 WR sets and throw the ball as much as we did. I love Weis and can't wait til he gets the players in here to run a feared offense.

I'm convinced people aren't watching the games and just going by stats. FFS, how many times did Brantley get the snap and just fling the damn football somewhere on the field? He wasn't even trying to execute plays he just became a liability back there.

My only...ONLY...complaint to Muschamp/Weis is why they didn't yank his ass. He clearly was hurting and he'd rather be sitting on the bench than out on the field; you could see it in his face. Put Driskel/Brissett in there, they could not have done any worse and they would have at least tried to win the game.

In all honesty....I don't even know why they'd play Brantley in the first place. People wanted Brantley back when in all honesty...he wasn't even lighting it up at any point this season anyway. The first half of the game was more of the offense playing inspired football and still only had ONE offensive touchdown come half time.
murdamal86
Senior Gator

Postby JOHNG » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Weiss did not recruit this putrid OL....NOR any of the other offensive players (other than Brisett -who I think will end up being a good QB in time)-
I too would have liked to see few more power running attempts against UGa with Joyer busting up the middle a few times & Gillislie too-- They are the only UF RBs who can break any tackles...I know Gillislie fumbles at times--but not any more often than Rainey & Demps do-- I think these two would have opened up the offense quite well, as I do not see ga.'s defense as being that good--- If they end up in the SEC ch. game, they are going to be humiliated & run over at will--
JOHNG
Senior Gator

Postby Ga Gator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:05 pm

I supported Charlie Weis, but it appears that he likes practice players instead of game players. Driskel has clearly looked better in the games. In addition if the stubborn jackass would have played Driskel in the wildcat instead of Burton (that is what Driskel played in HS) we would have had at least a shot at passing out of the spread. The reason; this dumbazz is afraid that Driskel will look like the stud and Jacoby will not and will ruin his plans for Jacoby. A good coach will set an offense according to the talent available instead of being stubborn like Weis. Hell Urban did the same thing last year in trying to run the spread with Brantley who is a pocket passer. Weis will get Muschamp fired if Muschamp does not make the decision as to the starter.
Ga Gator
Senior Gator

Postby SPS » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:08 pm

We start the game by spreading everything out and throwing short routes...easy throws for completions...and generally moving the ball. This would lead a hopeful Gator fan that we are going to use the pass (make them sit back a little on D) to open up the run game. This is actually a well known football strategy...

Losing 32 yards after the interception inside their 10 was horrible...but the strategy was still working into the 2nd quarter.

Then, while this working and we are winning, for some reason he changes it. We line up for what looks like a running play and we run...big surprise. Then the passing game becomes just as obvious. And to top it off, we never come back to what was working in the first place. This has to be on Weis.

If you are going to put Burton in, give him a short pass play to try becasue the whole world knows he is in there to run. It is called "trying to fool the other team".

It seems like the scheme is demorilizing the team...leading to way too many penalties. The fumbles have to stop...Rainey does not have his heart in it anymore I'm afraid.

Among the players, it looks like everyone has given up. I can't see anyone taking charge and trying to light a fire. Without leadership among the players, we will not improve in the near future.
SPS
Freshman Gator

Postby ACappsUF29 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Ga Gator wrote:I supported Charlie Weis, but it appears that he likes practice players instead of game players. Driskel has clearly looked better in the games. In addition if the stubborn jackass would have played Driskel in the wildcat instead of Burton (that is what Driskel played in HS) we would have had at least a shot at passing out of the spread. The reason; this dumbazz is afraid that Driskel will look like the stud and Jacoby will not and will ruin his plans for Jacoby. A good coach will set an offense according to the talent available instead of being stubborn like Weis. Hell Urban did the same thing last year in trying to run the spread with Brantley who is a pocket passer. Weis will get Muschamp fired if Muschamp does not make the decision as to the starter.

Wow i'm speechless after reading this. That's all opinions and just plain being wrong about some things. Driskel was the #1 QB coming out of high school and he didn't do that by running the wildcat. Ya he can run but he has the tools to be a great QB for us and a future NFL starter.
ACappsUF29
Senior Gator

Postby BuckFudder » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Pure ineptitude on offense. We win the last two games if the offense shows even a sliver of competency after the first quarter. Put a young D in far too many bad situations, and results are not good. This is so...last year, actually.

I really don't see the Brantley hate, though. Kid goes out there with a bum ankle, gets thrown down repeatedly, no support from the running game...I hate to place blame on one unit, but it smacks of massive O-line problems to me.
BuckFudder
Senior Gator

Postby Ga Gator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Acapps; it is either Weis is stubborn about Driskel or stupid which could explain why the dude lost to Navy at ND. Driskel did mostly run the spread in HS and that is the reason IMO that Weis wrongly likes Brisset more. You are right Driskel has the tools to be great and Muschamp had better step in or the walking food machine will cause him to get fired quicker than even the Zooker.
Ga Gator
Senior Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum