Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ancient Reptile, Clawhammergator, divits888, f18bundy, g8rbob, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, mtn2top and 50 guests

What I Saw Saturday

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

What I Saw Saturday

Postby soflagator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:12 pm

I said following the Aub game that it was a game that winners find a win, and losers find a way to lose. This team right now clearly doesn’t know how to win. To be balanced, I’m not sure we’ve known how since the 2009 fsu game and benefited more from others melting down last year (Jax) as opposed to showing we’d turned a corner. This year so far speaks for itself.

At the risk of sounding extreme, at this point, I have zero confidence in any part of this staff. I’m not calling for heads per se, but I do not like the writing I see on the wall. Even a comatose Meyer and brain-dead Addazio found ways to move the ball against uga last year, and if nothing else, looked like a group that was merely going through a worse-than-expected transition. This is officially bad because we had every opportunity to win, yet gave the game away with horrible turnovers and sloppy, undisciplined play. It is becoming obvious that we do not have sideline leadership, and it’s costing us games. This wasn’t about not having the right players, or the wrong sized players. We were beaten because we were outcoached by a terrible staff. The first TD from Murray was to a 3* True Freshman WR, which kills the talent deficiency argument. Again, we may not have the bodies to beat the better teams, but uga isn’t one of those and neither was Auburn. This is OleMiss-2002 type of problems.

Not only do I think WM and this staff needs to find a way to finish with several upsets, specifically fsu, we need to win and win big next year, with a W in Jax being an absolute must. No way any Gator should be content with dropping 2 in a row to uga and losing the momentum that we’ve had for over 2 decades. He should stay in Duval if that happens.

This series is streaky and we’ve given them a great opportunity to win 2 in a row for the first time since ’88-89. We need to start preparing right now to prevent that at all costs RIGHT NOW. As much as I admired Brantley’s playing on Saturday, and believe that overall he’s been a bright spot for us this season, I see no reason to keep going with him at this point. I said all summer that 8-4 and no Atl with JB is no different than 6-6 with a Freshman, so we can avoid having yet another down year next season. For all the huge JB supporters like Ken and others, I fully admit that JB has been better than expected and gave us the best chance to win. Unfortunately, in a strange twist of things, the rest of the team has now become the liability and we’re wasting everyone’s time starting him, imo. Put me in the Brantley Fan category, but put me in the Gator category first. It would be better for this team to turn a page.

I truly think Hill has to be on an equal, if not greater, hot seat as Durkin. Our WRs have played poorly all season and the Hammond fumble just adds to it.

Rainey should never be asked to catch a pass again. He just isn’t good at it. In his defense, he’s being asked to go across the middle with a Safety ready to punish him, which is something even NFL WRs struggle with at times. But find other ways to use him that don’t involve that. Almost as bad as the Wildcat with him.

The PI penalties are atrocious. Some are still wrong, imo, but we’re supposed to be teaching these kids the fundamentals. That means the little details that apply to the game, and avoiding things that will get us a penalty. We’re failing miserably in this respect. Watkins may end up being a good player, but he’s been abused all season and is the guy they go after as soon as they see him check in. He has to be taught to play the ball so we can actually disrupt some of these plays.

We are also wasting tremendous talent along the DL by playing them out of their natural position. Everyone knew that guys like Floyd and Easley would be great, but they’re simply ok because we’re asking them to do things that they aren’t as good at. That again goes back to coaching. It’s one thing to want to install your system with the players you have. But at some point(as we saw in 2005) you have to make concessions and recognize that adjustments may need to be made(enter Billy Latsko). At that point, it becomes clear. Either they’re ok with killing an entire season, or they don’t have the ability to adjust.

Lastly, for all the Doering/Matthews etc types that loved seeing Meyer go and bringing in “one of their own”, I’d love to hear the spin here. Games against a bigger, just better Alabama team are justifiable losses. Games against perhaps the best team in the country in their house, with a Freshman QB are as well. Losing to Aub and uga speaks volumes about this staff’s ability to motivate this team. The old guard(much of my section 63) that stomped their feet about his not being able to speak at “XYZ Booster Club” and didn’t like Meyer’s “gimmicky” offense can now enjoy the fact that in the last 4 games, we’ve managed a total of 3 offensive TDs, have been dreadful as far as discipline, and have simply not been led to a win, things that we never saw on Urban’s watch. But hey, at least Muschamp speaks with a southern accent and was there when we beat Miami on Jones’ winning cath. That’s more important anyway, isn’t it?
soflagator
Bull Gator

Re: What I Saw Saturday

Postby oxrageous » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:26 pm

In before the lock.
oxrageous

Postby soflagator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:28 pm

oxrageous wrote:In before the lock.

We're good. I know a mod. :lol:
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 pm

Sofla kills it as usual. Can't disagree with a single point made.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby murdamal86 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 pm

I agree with your post and let me add to this too: We're just not very good, point blank period. Some players pan out and some don't. Unfortunately, the last 3 recruiting classes haven't developed once they've made it on campus and that CAN'T happen at a premier school like UF.

Let's not forget that this is a HC w/zero experience being a head ball coach so i'm not fretting over this season that much. As terrible as we've looked the last two games (not including the drubbing vs Bama and LSU), we've had chances to win. Some bounces go your way and some don't but i will admit by the start of the 4th quarter of the past two games I just had a feeling we wouldn't pull out the victory. I don't remember the last time we've had a nice long and smooth drive on offense that resulted in a touchdown.

And in regards to our D-Line...why not run a 5 man front at times? Howard and Powell on the ends w/Floyd, Easley, and Hunter at DT's??? 5-2-4 look at times would be freshing to get our best lineman on the field.

What's more alarming though is that we haven't defeated a ranked team since Cincy in the Sugar Bowl.
Last edited by murdamal86 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murdamal86
Senior Gator

Postby G8RNGA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 pm

I couldn't agree with you more on all of your points. I can't excuse the lack of coaching occuring that causes me concern for our future. With all of the NFL talent we have as coaches, you'd think we would find ways to scheme with the talent level we have (even with the injuries) and find a way to win. I still haven't seen anything from this staff that tells me the future will be better than the present. At least Spurrier, Zook, and Meyer took less than talented players and had some signature wins.

I'm very concerned about our final games, except Furman. That includes this weeks game with Vandy.
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator^2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:33 pm

Has to be the harshest words I have ever seen from Sofla.

However, I agree. The coaches have lost all good will from me. Not because we are 4-4 but because of how we have gotten here. I am starting to wonder if the lack of changes that we have seen this season so far is due to Muschamp being a first time head coach and wanting to 'stick it out' where as a coach like Meyer realized that changes needed to be made. Honestly, Meyer made those changes early enough in the season to actually impact the outcome of it significantly. The SEC east that season literally came down to our last SEC game. We didn't win it but at least our season wasn't over in Oct.

It is somewhat baffling to think that Meyer can take a complete non spread option QB in Leak and win the National freaking Title but Weis can't get more production out of the offense than Addazio did last year.
Gator^2
Head Ball Coach

Postby soflagator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:37 pm

murdamal86 wrote:We're just not very good, point blank period. Some players pan out and some don't. Unfortunately, the last 3 recruiting classes haven't developed once they've made it on campus and that CAN'T happen at a premier school like UF.

Let's not forget that this is a HC w/zero experience being a head ball coach so i'm not fretting over this season that much. As terrible as we've looked the last two games (not including the drubbing vs Bama and LSU), we've had chances to win. Some bounces go your way and some don't but i will admit by the start of the 4th quarter of the past two games I just had a feeling we wouldn't pull out the victory. I don't remember the last time we've had a nice long and smooth drive on offense that resulted in a touchdown.

What's more alarming though is that we haven't defeated a ranked team since Cincy in the Sugar Bowl.

I wouldn't have a problem with this season if we find a way to win Saturday. Years like 2002 and 2003 weren't great either, but still consisted of beating uga and maintaining a foot on their throats. Even our horrendous 2010 campaign shared that lone bright spot. From a recruting standpoint, from a Division standpoint, and from a rivalry standpoint, this loss is inexcusable. As I said, either they don't get how important it is, or they simply couldn't find a way to get it done. Either way, it's bad and made worse by the fact that we had them 17-3 in the second quarter, with the ball.
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby diehardg8r » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:38 pm

I dont think you'll see much of a change the rest of the year. I will be brutal to watch and gut wrenching but the problems we currently have don't get fixed in mid season. I do think it's time to let JD and JB get a head start in competing for the job next year but that won't happen either. Hang on to your seats and be prepared to see a half full stadium for Furman.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby G8RNGA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:39 pm

What is so painful, is that the SEC East is up for grabs. UGA is very beatable and we should have won. South Carolina isn't as dangerous as initially thought and especially with Lattimore out. I'm not a fan of going to the SECCG and getting a butt whooping, but we should be challenging for the division. There is something broke right now and I can't put my finger on it, except that it starts with the coaching staff.

I think this is far bigger than WM not having "his" players.
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby murdamal86 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:43 pm

soflagator wrote:
murdamal86 wrote:We're just not very good, point blank period. Some players pan out and some don't. Unfortunately, the last 3 recruiting classes haven't developed once they've made it on campus and that CAN'T happen at a premier school like UF.

I wouldn't have a problem with this season if we find a way to win Saturday. Years like 2002 and 2003 weren't great either, but still consisted of beating uga and maintaining a foot on their throats. Even our horrendous 2010 campaign shared that lone bright spot. From a recruting standpoint, from a Division standpoint, and from a rivalry standpoint, this loss is inexcusable. As I said, either they don't get how important it is, or they simply couldn't find a way to get it done. Either way, it's bad and made worse by the fact that we had them 17-3 in the second quarter, with the ball.

hey check my post, I edited it and added some more points :D

Don't even get me started on how I felt when we went up 17-3. I still had ZERO confidence in our offense at that point. Our only TD came because of a fluke blown coverage.

Heck our last two offense td's have been because of "fluke's".
murdamal86
Senior Gator

Postby Gator-DNA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:44 pm

Completely agree. AU and UGa were games that should've been won. Those were perfect games for the staff to put signature wins on, to let everybody know what "The Florida Way" was going to be, and they dropped the ball. Poor play calling, poor game planning, and a lack of coached up players. I, like you, have lost faith in this staff. Not sure what's going on behind the scenes, but it sure is putting a poor product on the field. Hope we can get back to our winning ways.
Gator-DNA
Senior Gator

Postby sportstalk » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 pm

Good points SoFla, but my only question is this. When I or some of other objective posters talk about how horrendous WM is at game management and decision making, we get bombarded. You say the exact same thing and everyone is Genuflecting in front of you. Congrats on that. :chomp:
sportstalk
Heisman Gator

Postby Gator^2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:53 pm

sportstalk wrote:Good points SoFla, but my only question is this. When I or some of other objective posters talk about how horrendous WM is at game management and decision making, we get bombarded. You say the exact same thing and everyone is Genuflecting in front of you. Congrats on that. :chomp:

Don't think anyone can say that Muschamp is a good game manager at this point. I really hope he reads a book on it though. :lol:
Gator^2
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorspook » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:59 pm

All of the excuses we've heard don't explain away the fact that we SHOULD have won the last two games.

I don't understand why they didn't get Driskel ready to spell Brantley for a few scripted series where he both ran and passed. Why are we effing around with Burton and stuff. I swear it's almost like they are trying to keep Driskel held back a bit. Doersn't make sense but that's what it looks like.
gatorspook

Postby scmike » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:02 pm

I agree with everyone on this post. The UGA game was horrible. UGA was very beatable, but our coaches really suck. I am starting to wonder what Will Muschamp's definition is of "The Florida Way" because we digressing as the season moves forward. I will be there for the Vandy Game this week, but I am definately worried. The stupid penalties and a poor offensive line are killing us. Go Gatrs!
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby soflagator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

sportstalk wrote:Good points SoFla, but my only question is this. When I or some of other objective posters talk about how horrendous WM is at game management and decision making, we get bombarded. You say the exact same thing and everyone is Genuflecting in front of you. Congrats on that. :chomp:

To be fair, I had an issue with the clock managment going back to the UK game, and then repeated it after Lsu. So I've been in agreement with you. Perhaps you saw things before they revealed themselves to the rest of us. Or perhaps some just like me better. :lol: Honestly, this whole things sucks and none of us, including you I'm sure, want to be right about some of the negatives we see. Hopefully we respond this week and we can get back to some form of positve thoughts.
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby Gator^2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:07 pm

gatorspook wrote:All of the excuses we've heard don't explain away the fact that we SHOULD have won the last two games.

I don't understand why they didn't get Driskel ready to spell Brantley for a few scripted series where he both ran and passed. Why are we effing around with Burton and stuff. I swear it's almost like they are trying to keep Driskel held back a bit. Doersn't make sense but that's what it looks like.

I actually mentioned this during the game as well. Brantley was hurt and clearly no where near 100%. One of the freshmen should have been able to come in if Brantley went out. They also could have used that prep time to come up with some scripted plays like you said. Especially considering the weak oline play that we've had. The offense could have used a change of pace in the 2nd half.

Using Burton when you have Driskell and Brissett with playing time under their belts makes you go WTH.
Gator^2
Head Ball Coach

Postby diehardg8r » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:08 pm

It's what happens when you hire a coach with no HBC experience. He's never had to do it, that's what Saban and Brown did for him. All he had to worry about was D. It's different now and he needs to adjust to it. Charlie aint going to do it and frankly, he's probably glad he doesnt have too. Will needs to figure out that he has to trust his DC and OC and manage the game. Stop all the yelling and screaming, high jumping and stomping around and start thinking ahead.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby itsgr82baflagator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:13 pm

sportstalk: The mood of the board and a number of typically temperate posters has changed since Saturday. With the off week people expected to see some improvement in the offense, not the same incompetency displayed again on Saturday.
itsgr82baflagator
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum