Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests

UGA OL Brent Benedict may transfer to UF

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

UGA OL Brent Benedict may transfer to UF

Postby Wild Horse » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 am

Rumor in Athens is that Brent Benedict may transfer from UGA..Most UGA fans are saying he had a bad knee injury and will never play again but others say he just is not happy with the training staff at UGA and had a falling out and is looking strongly at coming to UF and their better training staff. He was a 5-star stud coming out of HS.
Wild Horse
Freshman Gator

Re: UGA OL Brent Benedict may transfer to UF

Postby diehardg8r » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:50 am

Unless he can play LB I dont see a reason to take a guy that chose UGA or UF. He's not very smart so I don't know how much he can help.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby DCflorida » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 am

Isn't this the kid from Bolles in Jax? He should have chosen UF in the first place. Dumb.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 am

DCflorida wrote:Isn't this the kid from Bolles in Jax? He should have chosen UF in the first place. Dumb.

Yes! But you don't get through Bolles by being dumb. He was a 4-5 star stud and it was UGA and UF at the top of his list. With our O-line situation he would be a good addition, IF they can show his knee will get better. Keep in mind he was vying for a starting job at UGA even with a bum knee.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby BMF » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:25 am

Doesn't he have a brother at Bolles now who is a top recruit?

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby oxrageous » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 am

I find it hard to believe UGA would allow any member of the team to transfer to rival UF. And I'm not too keen about taking a Bulldog, 5 star or not. He should have to pay the price for picking UGA in the first place. Let him rot with a crappy Big East school or something.
oxrageous

Postby soflagator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:05 pm

I've heard two different stories on this, that he may be looking at UF and supposedly even visited us recently and also that apparently that's all runor at this point. So who knows.

I will say, Meyer loved this kid and really tried hard to land him, even after his knee issue in his Sr. year. And while it's always dumb to pick uga over UF, his comments regarding Meyer and the Gators were very respectful, praising both the academic side of things as well as our athletic program. So he seems like a good kid who perhaps just made a bad choice.

There would be a risk to this pickup in that his knee injury was severe and at one point thought to be potentially career ending. Lots of nerve damage from what I've read. But if he can get past that, he was thought to have tremendous upside as one of the best OLinemen to come out that year. Could also help us with the other Bolles kid, Theuss who is probably a longshot at this point.
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby NoVa Gator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 pm

I doubt that it will happen because he will have to sit out a year or 2 years. By that time, UF could sign other OL's ready to go.
NoVa Gator
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:09 pm

soflagator wrote:I've heard two different stories on this, that he may be looking at UF and supposedly even visited us recently and also that apparently that's all runor at this point. So who knows.

I will say, Meyer loved this kid and really tried hard to land him, even after his knee issue in his Sr. year. And while it's always dumb to pick uga over UF, his comments regarding Meyer and the Gators were very respectful, praising both the academic side of things as well as our athletic program. So he seems like a good kid who perhaps just made a bad choice.

There would be a risk to this pickup in that his knee injury was severe and at one point thought to be potentially career ending. Lots of nerve damage from what I've read. But if he can get past that, he was thought to have tremendous upside as one of the best OLinemen to come out that year. Could also help us with the other Bolles kid, Theuss who is probably a longshot at this point.

I know we are also after Theuss, but there are rumors swirling that he may commit to UGA as early as tonight. Maybe Benedict will talk some sense into Theuss.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby soflagator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:14 pm

GatorTAG wrote:
soflagator wrote:I've heard two different stories on this, that he may be looking at UF and supposedly even visited us recently and also that apparently that's all runor at this point. So who knows.

I know we are also after Theuss, but there are rumors swirling that he may commit to UGA as early as tonight. Maybe Benedict will talk some sense into Theuss.

As soon as I saw you'd posted(and now knowing you're in Orange Park/Jax) I figured you'd have some insight.

I did read that he could commit this weekend, which kind of sucks. It's funny because in the article I read, the reporter flat out asks him if it concerns him that so many uga OL players end up with major knww injuries. He says he doesn't believe in bad luck, but it's nice to see someone's trying to give him proper warning.

The hope that I think we still have with him is that he and his brother have made it clear that Richt is a huge part of the deal. His brother stated that unless there was a coaching change, he was 100% commited. Point being that a sub-par year could get those rumors swirling enough again to make him rethink his decision. If MR were to get canned, I think we're in good shape along with fsu.
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:00 pm

soflagator wrote:
GatorTAG wrote:

As soon as I saw you'd posted(and now knowing you're in Orange Park/Jax) I figured you'd have some insight.

I did read that he could commit this weekend, which kind of sucks. It's funny because in the article I read, the reporter flat out asks him if it concerns him that so many uga OL players end up with major knww injuries. He says he doesn't believe in bad luck, but it's nice to see someone's trying to give him proper warning.

The hope that I think we still have with him is that he and his brother have made it clear that Richt is a huge part of the deal. His brother stated that unless there was a coaching change, he was 100% commited. Point being that a sub-par year could get those rumors swirling enough again to make him rethink his decision. If MR were to get canned, I think we're in good shape along with fsu.

I agree.

I don't see UGA having a great year and if they have 4 losses I think Richt gets canned. They are in worse shape than we are along the offensive line and they are very thin at LB. Murray is okay but I don't see him staying healthy as a full time starter in the SEC. He's just not big enough for the type of QB he is. He's a lot like Matt Grothe was at USF. But this ain't the Big East.

They are also losing a lot of their big time starters from last year like Ealey, A.J. Green, Kris Durham, Clint Boling, Darrell Gamble, Trinton Sturdivant, Brandon Boykin, Akeem Dent, Shaun Chapas, and future starters in Benedict, A.J. Harmon, Marcus Dowtin, and Nick Williams. They have a lot of holes to fill and a lot of expectations, which we know they never meet.

Edit - Also, if Murray goes down, his backup is a true freshman that hasn't played ball in two years.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby soflagator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:36 pm

GatorTAG wrote:
soflagator wrote:
GatorTAG wrote:

I agree.

I don't see UGA having a great year and if they have 4 losses I think Richt gets canned. They are in worse shape than we are along the offensive line and they are very thin at LB. Murray is okay but I don't see him staying healthy as a full time starter in the SEC. He's just not big enough for the type of QB he is. He's a lot like Matt Grothe was at USF. But this ain't the Big East.

They are also losing a lot of their big time starters from last year like Ealey, A.J. Green, Kris Durham, Clint Boling, Darrell Gamble, Trinton Sturdivant, Brandon Boykin, Akeem Dent, Shaun Chapas, and future starters in Benedict, A.J. Harmon, Marcus Dowtin, and Nick Williams. They have a lot of holes to fill and a lot of expectations, which we know they never meet.

Edit - Also, if Murray goes down, his backup is a true freshman that hasn't played ball in two years.

If the game of football was 5 quarters, I honestly believe Murray would’ve been killed by Auburn(Fairley) last season. One huge plus for him last year was that, outside of that game, the teams they played all had young or underachieving lines, specifically at DE. So he wasn’t beaten up nearly as much as he would’ve been under normal circumstances. Now, subtract their best two OLinemen, another projected starter post-Spring, BB who was thought to be able to provide quality depth, and you’ve got a recipe for trouble. He is going to get hit. I think BoiseState will get to him in week 1 and I know usce will. So I agree, they’re in for a long season. Ftr, they do still have Boykin. But that list of critical players that are now gone is pretty substantial. And all this from a 6-7 team.

I still find it crazy that kids openly say they’re still committed “as long as there isn’t a coaching change”. If it’s even being mentioned as a possibility, doesn’t that tell you that if said coach and team don’t perform well in your first year, there’s a real chance he’s gone at that point? And since you’ll be in your freshman year, the likelihood of coming in and being the difference isn’t all that great. Zero forethought.
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby Double Gator Dad » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:41 pm

: UGA OL Brent Benedict may transfer to UF
by GatorTAG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 am

DCflorida wrote:
Isn't this the kid from Bolles in Jax? He should have chosen UF in the first place. Dumb.

Yes! But you don't get through Bolles by being dumb. He was a 4-5 star stud and it was UGA and UF at the top of his list. With our O-line situation he would be a good addition, IF they can show his knee will get better. Keep in mind he was vying for a starting job at UGA even with a bum knee.

How does attending Bolles make you smart?
The primary qualification for admittance to Bolles is writing checks. Graduating with honors from Bolles makes you smart. Bolles recruits athletes just like colleges. Are all UF football players smart????
Double Gator Dad
All-American Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Maybe he met with Daz and realized that the smart thing would be to go somewhere else.

(That one was also for you, SoFla.)

I'll trust the coaches on this. They seem to be less than impressed with the OL that Urban left on the shelf.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby soflagator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:56 pm

law98gator wrote:Maybe he met with Daz and realized that the smart thing would be to go somewhere else.

(That one was also for you, SoFla.)

Could be. Could also be why he left, given that his new OL coach at uga was going to be a guy from UAB.

Maybe he'll like Verducci.
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby Wild Horse » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:34 pm

A bolles kid should have a good education. this can only help with Theus. The fact that alot of Dawg fans are upset about this is enough proof to think this is a good thing for us. Dont we have alot of room on the roster to take a chance like this. he was one of the best HS O-lineman Ive ever seen. I say lets take a chance, maybe he could help with the scouting report for the Cocktail party if nothing else. The other positive is that it makes UGA's thin O-line even thinner. I also heard the rumor that jarvis jones may not be eligible to play linebacker for UGA this year.
Wild Horse
Freshman Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Double Gator Dad wrote:: UGA OL Brent Benedict may transfer to UF
by GatorTAG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 am

DCflorida wrote:

How does attending Bolles make you smart?
The primary qualification for admittance to Bolles is writing checks. Graduating with honors from Bolles makes you smart. Bolles recruits athletes just like colleges. Are all UF football players smart????

If you think that The Bolles School academically is no different than your average public school then there is no way I can answer your question.

I have my son in a local private school here is Jax and I can assure you there's more to it than writing checks.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby LBSpikes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:36 pm

If healthy, when can he play? What year is he?
LBSpikes
Bull Gator

Postby soflagator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:38 pm

LBSpikes wrote:If healthy, when can he play? What year is he?

Without a special waver from uga, I believe he would have to sit out 2 years unless he went the JUCO route. I could be wrong though.

He needs another year at least anyway because it was reported in Spring that he had not progressed as quickly as originally thought. No need to rush that knee issue.
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby Redneck G8tor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Have we fallen so far that we are happy to get UGA's rejects ?

Damn Son !
Gravity always wins!
Redneck G8tor
True Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum