Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hoosier Gator, MSNbot Media and 41 guests

Jevon Kearse broke

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Re: Jevon Kearse broke

Postby rogdochar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Something totally smart about tattoos. Harvard Medical School
researched and "invented" a tattoo ink that "their" present laser
removal treatment can remove with no trace of tat or scar.

I bet cosmetic surgeons that have to remove present tattoos got
tired of patients' grave disappointment over the ugly scarring . ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gator1946 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:15 pm

It will never happen but what schools should do:

Identify the players who are likely to go to the NFL, but who are struggling to make grades. The implication is that the money they make in the NFL is the money they will need to live on for the rest of their lives.

Stick them in classes with the message that when you make a million live at a level modest enough that a million will support you for the rest of your life.

When you make two million live at a level modest enough that two million will support you for the rest of your life. Pound it home until they get it. At their young age that means they wont be living the life of the rich and the famous. The reality of what that level is might scare the crap out of some of them and save them from sweeping floors 5 years later.

To heck with all the fancy stuff. It ought to be half of what we try to teach them.
gator1946
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Somebody already mentioned that it's better for the overall economy if these guys simply funnel their millions right back into the system. Sucks for them, good for the country.
oxrageous

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:22 pm

gator1946 wrote:It will never happen but what schools should do:

Identify the players who are likely to go to the NFL, but who are struggling to make grades. The implication is that the money they make in the NFL is the money they will need to live on for the rest of their lives.

Stick them in classes with the message that when you make a million live at a level modest enough that a million will support you for the rest of your life.

When you make two million live at a level modest enough that two million will support you for the rest of your life. Pound it home until they get it. At their young age that means they wont be living the life of the rich and the famous. The reality of what that level is might scare the crap out of some of them and save them from sweeping floors 5 years later.

It ought to be half of what we try to teach them.

That's terrific advice, '46. Unfortunately, these guys are 21, 22 years old, and a good many of them are going to tune that right out. Deathly mix of youthful inability to metabolize risk (the frontal lobe isn't fully developed until 21) with the overwhelming distraction of public adulation.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby gator1946 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Your probably right but it might save a few. Scare the crap of them. And then scare the crap out of them again. They ought to eliminate the term millionaire from the English language. A million dollars isn't jack shi.t when your 25. Shoot it's not jack shi.t when your 65.
gator1946
Heisman Gator

Postby divits888 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Class of '78 wrote:

That's terrific advice, '46. Unfortunately, these guys are 21, 22 years old, and a good many of them are going to tune that right out. Deathly mix of youthful inability to metabolize risk (the frontal lobe isn't fully developed until 21) with the overwhelming distraction of public adulation.

Too true, I’m afraid.

I tried to instill saving and fiscal responsibility in my kids from day one. I went so far as to mix in bedtime stories of compounding interest along with the normal kid stories of princesses and dinosaurs. So far it doesn’t appear to have stuck with them. They spend every cent they (and we) make. :(
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:47 pm

One of the worst mistakes of my life was tattooing an Izod alligator on my left breast. It was only a few years later that Polo was the cool version of polo shirts. Now Izod is sold in Kmarts. I'm glad I didn't go through with the idea of tattooing the rest of a pastel golf shirt on my chest and upper arms. Or Miami Vice on my ass or ankle.

Do you think it would be cool now if I tattooed some tribal stuff or maybe some feaux gangsta stuff like chains or barbed wire around it?
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby 55GATOR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:15 am

NFL Owners: Probably on conference call with each other laughing their *ss off on how dumb these guys are...they should walk the Plant....get it!
55GATOR
Freshman Gator

Postby NVGator » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:09 am

55GATOR wrote:NFL Owners: Probably on conference call with each other laughing their *ss off on how dumb these guys are...they should walk the Plant....get it!

No
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Deuce Coupe » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:03 am

I've talked to Kearse several times and my take is that he is a nice guy but not the sharpest knife in the drawer, despite his 3.6 GPA in HS. We were talking about several pieces of Real Estate in Naples and he wasn't concerned about the numbers at all, everything was based on how he "felt" about the property. I'm not surprised he has lost $$$$$$$ in his investments.
You can't spell SUCK without Image
Deuce Coupe
Heisman Gator

Postby Zambo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 pm

The thing about these guys is simply this: Without tremendous athletic ability, their entire lives would probably be just like the life they're leading right now. So in the end, at least they got to live high on the hog for a decent fraction of their time here on earth instead of just toiling away in the lower class for their entire life.
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Postby 55GATOR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Nashville Gator: I do not agree with you. They SEE what happens to other players..it's in the news..and yet they do NOTHING about their money.
Fact: I've made less than 5% of Jevon's money and still have most of it and live a great life...so stupid is as stupid does. I will tell him not to call Michael Vick...he is idiot also...
55GATOR
Freshman Gator

Postby itsgr82baflagator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:38 am

oxrageous wrote:I think it's important we look back and remember how we all were when we were 21-25 years old.

I wish I could remember that far back. :cool:
itsgr82baflagator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Wait ’til next year » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:10 am

Class of '78 wrote:

Not to mention the need for bling/stuff...
"When the people fear their government, there is TYRANNY; when the government fears the people, there is LIBERTY" -- Thomas Jefferson
Wait ’til next year
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Another broke athlete, Vince Young, borrowed 7 figures during the lockout at 20% interest and blew over 300K on a birthday party:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89406 ... 300k-party
oxrageous

Postby divits888 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:49 pm

oxrageous wrote:Another broke athlete, Vince Young, borrowed 7 figures during the lockout at 20% interest and blew over 300K on a birthday party:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89406 ... 300k-party

Sounds like the people who lent Young the money are loan sharks. Usury laws usually kick in at around 18 percent.
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby GatorsGetGoodAgain » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 pm

NashvilleG8R wrote:Admittedly it is easy to judge, however, the devil is in the details. While I understand that this is a message board where all opinions are welcome, it troubles me when I see these kind of threads. None of us have walked in his shoes nor do we know all of the details of the article. I guess it makes for great "press" to post on-line. Unfortunately, it is a symptom of a very messed up system. While I wholeheartedly believe in personal accountability, it would seem that given that the Freak joins a long list of pro athletes that this has happened to that the colleges should require (think Core classes) courses around personal finance, investing, and WTH to do with a $20MM signing bonus. Too many times these guys are not listening to the "right" people and trust the vultures and freeloaders that make up too much of our society (see last election).

Or, these guys getting a free education, could choose to get a free degree in Accounting or Finance or Economics instead of say...playground construction. Its all there for the taking if they want it.
GatorsGetGoodAgain
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorsGetGoodAgain » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Okeechobee Joe wrote:
GatorsGetGoodAgain wrote:He should just get a job as a HS coach somewhere and live like a normal person. TONS of people would hire him for his name alone.

Great idea. He would make a great role model for kids.

Better yet, he ought to run for Congress. Then he would finally be in his league.

He actually would be a good role model.....he was a beast so he would command a ton of respect, and maybe he could tell kids how not to be like him financially. Plus, working a normal job is a good thing, its not like all HS coaches are the smartest guys in the world, haha.
GatorsGetGoodAgain
Heisman Gator

Postby Maxxodd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 am

law98gator wrote:One of the worst mistakes of my life was tattooing an Izod alligator on my left breast. It was only a few years later that Polo was the cool version of polo shirts. Now Izod is sold in Kmarts. I'm glad I didn't go through with the idea of tattooing the rest of a pastel golf shirt on my chest and upper arms. Or Miami Vice on my ass or ankle.

Do you think it would be cool now if I tattooed some tribal stuff or maybe some feaux gangsta stuff like chains or barbed wire around it?

Actually not such a bad mistake currently law. Izod was divided a few years back into Lacoste and Izod. Lacoste is the alligator logo and Izod just has the word Izod. Lacoste is a premium brand that has made a large come-back and I would argue much more in fashion right now then Ralph Lauren Polo. So, you're good bro... :D
Maxxodd
True Gator

Postby FunnGun » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 am

law98gator wrote:One of the worst mistakes of my life was tattooing an Izod alligator on my left breast.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Gatorsports Forum