Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BNAG8R, Gatorbythebay, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], itsgr82baflagator, Leroy Jenkins, MSNbot Media, Trung, UFever and 63 guests

How much of an improvement in the passing game do we see?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Re: How much of an improvement in the passing game do we see?

Postby FunnGun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm

law98gator wrote:How does that saying go? Hope in one hand...

I believe the one you're looking for is:

Man who leap off cliff jump to conclusion.

-Confucius
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Coach9 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 am

Gator Fever wrote:
Coach9 wrote:
Gator Fever wrote:
Coach9 wrote:
Gouryella wrote:
Coach9 wrote:
Gouryella wrote: No reason, outside your qb sucks, to have a triple digit passing attack.

Multiple reasons. Receivers, protection, scheme. If the QB sucked as you say, he would not have the solid TD/Int ratio that he has. I will admit that the improvement we saw in JD over the first 4 or 5 games seemed to stall at midseason for whatever reason.

So, Bridgewater or Johnny Football would have the same season if you slid them into the UF QB position?

They wouldn't have been as good as they were in their own offenses, particularly Manziel. His o-line gave him all day to throw and had a nice group of receivers and a great scheme.

He had real good tackles but I saw him buying time a lot and finding the open receivers when his first option wasnt there.

I'm curious how he does next year with a less dominant o-line and teams scheming to make him beat them from a compressed pocket. Still amazed more teams didn't use our 2nd half model.

We were a little lucky to catch him in his first game imo - half of their 2nd half problems were him running right to our defenders for some reason who were being held up at the line some. He probably will be held more in check next year.

That is by design. It's how you should play any running QB, particularly a shorter one. You don't go up field hard and try and sack him. You want to compress the pocket and eliminate running and throwing lanes. The DEs must keep outside leverage so he cant get outside. Make him look over tall lineman and try to beat you from the pocket.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 am

divits888 wrote:
floridagator wrote:
I Have No Friends :( wrote:
willgetin wrote:The majority of you chuckleheads just don't get it. This years pathetic passing game was NOT just JD... A QB's results depends as much on the receivers abilities as it does the QB's abilities. If we don't get better at running routes and catching the ball, it won't matter how JD plays...

If we have receivers next year that can actually run routes and go and get the ball, JD will have a great year.

So Johnny Brantley really wasn't the worst QB UF ever had, it was his bad receivers that made him appear so?

I'll hang up and listen.

Well that and his oline. JB became shell shocked and was never the same. We played against JB in HS under Kerwin and he was very accurate. Of course he ran a spread ace formation most of the time. Regardless I've never seen a player go from so good to completely terrible as I saw of Brantley at UF

I’ve brought this up a couple times before when the same dunderheads dump all of our offensive woes on Driskel. How is it that three of the very top rated high school QB’s in the country (Brantley, Driskel and Brissett) come to UF and all of the sudden forget how to throw and play the position? I mean, it can’t possibly be a combination of piss poor line blocking, mediocre receiver play, bad play calling and poor QB play. :rolleyes:

Still waiting for an answer.

You already know the answer. Urban Meyer checked out and phoned in recruiting his last couple of years. Water-headazzio got a one year tryout as the man in charge and about got Brantley killed behind a porous line and his brilliant strategy of run, run, then bring out Brantley on 3rd and long to get hit.

Next up to bat was Charlie Cheeseburger, who proved once again that his coaching arrogance only matched by his weight just doesn't cut it at the college game. He fell in love with smurfs up the middle during the cupcake part of our schedule and then got someone at nearly every skill position killed during the Alabama and LSU games, where he learned that 170 lbs. up the middle and unblocked linebackers and d-linemen will do wonders for your starters' health.

Now we're giving Pease a chance, a guy that comes from a long line of failed OC's leaving Boise. It's said that his previous SEC experience at Kentucky should make up for this, but the jury is still out. The Texas A&M staff in one season was able to take a kid rated lower than Driskel, the same age as Driskel and with a brand new offensive system turn him into a Heisman winner. Meanwhile, the man who fans wanted to give a raise to during the season, Pass the Pease, managed to eek out the 115th ranked passing offense with an overall 100+ ranked offense. At Florida.

It's frustrating and frankly unacceptable. Our receivers aren't great, but they're no worse than other teams who at least made it into the top 50 in passing. Our oline had breakdowns at times, but at other times they gave plenty of protection only to watch our QB run backwards and then straight out of bounds without even throwing it away.

Who is to blame? The QBs? The line? The receivers? The recruiting sites?

Look I've dogged on Driskel all year, but it's mainly because I wasn't going to let all the Brantley haters get away with the same excuses they said didn't exist last year. Last year it was all Brantley screwing up behind a great oline and a talented receiving corps. This year, with the same line and receivers, now it's suddenly the great QB being held back by a poor surrounding cast.

My honest opinion? We need better offensive coaching and I'm hoping The Joker is the medicine for what ails us. Pease needs to earn his paycheck and coach up Driskel A TON. The kid looked like he got zero coaching since after the Tennessee game, a game in which he actually played well and made some very nice reads/throws.

The RB coach gets a pass, as they improved a lot from the year before. The line coach should benefit from fresh faces and another year under Dillman for the big uglies, but the clock's ticking with him to get pass protection nailed down. Of course, having Pease coach up Driskel to recognize blitzes would help both the line and JD out a ton as well. Maybe even let JD audible out of bad plays; I know, I know... let's not hope for too much too soon :lol:

Our poor wide receivers haven't had good coaching for years. Joker is going to have his work cut out for him.

I'm not proclaiming that our offensive coaches are playing with a full deck yet; there are problems with our skill positions that may take a couple of years to fix. However, it is unacceptable with the talent we do have to have a triple-digit ranked offense at Florida. It's inexcusable and it shouldn't be tolerated.

I love Coach Muschamp, but he needs to get this thing fixed and fixed NOW. If he loses to Jawja for a 3rd time in a row, I honestly can say I don't want to see him back on the sidelines the following week.

My expectations for Driskel next season are low, but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again. I'd love to be wrong this time.
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 am

FunnGun wrote:
law98gator wrote:How does that saying go? Hope in one hand...

I believe the one you're looking for is:

Man who leap off cliff jump to conclusion.

-Confucius

Wish in one hand and s_ _ _ _ in the other and see which you get first, I think that's how it goes, I can remember an uncle that used to say that back in the 60's.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby UGator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:24 am

Driskel is an athletic QB who can run and pass. However, he had an average OL and average to below average WR's so it is unclear how good he can be when he gets more time and has very good WR's. Good QB's need to be able to see the field and go through reads as well as audible out of bad plays. Hopefully he will be much improved in year two of Pease's offense.

AJ MacCarron at Bama has progressed behind one of the best OL's ever and has WR's, particularly the Miami guy Amari Cooper who played with Bridgewater, into a very good passing QB. He can't run much, but doesn't have to with all the support around him.

We all want our offense to compliment our "D", which should be good every year with Muschamp and however long we can keep Quinn.
If Driskel can get us out of bad plays, learn to dump the ball and not take sacks, and let our new talent help him by getting consistently open for a change----then watch out!
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:22 am

I thought law said he was a positive person during the off season.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby kcgator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 am

None.
kcgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am

kcgator wrote:None.

racist
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby ltraz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:51 am

You already know the answer. Urban Meyer checked out and phoned in recruiting his last couple of years. Water-headazzio got a one year tryout as the man in charge and about got Brantley killed behind a porous line and his brilliant strategy of run, run, then bring out Brantley on 3rd and long to get hit.

Next up to bat was Charlie Cheeseburger, who proved once again that his coaching arrogance only matched by his weight just doesn't cut it at the college game. He fell in love with smurfs up the middle during the cupcake part of our schedule and then got someone at nearly every skill position killed during the Alabama and LSU games, where he learned that 170 lbs. up the middle and unblocked linebackers and d-linemen will do wonders for your starters' health.

Now we're giving Pease a chance, a guy that comes from a long line of failed OC's leaving Boise. It's said that his previous SEC experience at Kentucky should make up for this, but the jury is still out. The Texas A&M staff in one season was able to take a kid rated lower than Driskel, the same age as Driskel and with a brand new offensive system turn him into a Heisman winner. Meanwhile, the man who fans wanted to give a raise to during the season, Pass the Pease, managed to eek out the 115th ranked passing offense with an overall 100+ ranked offense. At Florida.

It's frustrating and frankly unacceptable. Our receivers aren't great, but they're no worse than other teams who at least made it into the top 50 in passing. Our oline had breakdowns at times, but at other times they gave plenty of protection only to watch our QB run backwards and then straight out of bounds without even throwing it away.

Look I've dogged on Driskel all year, but it's mainly because I wasn't going to let all the Brantley haters get away with the same excuses they said didn't exist last year. Last year it was all Brantley screwing up behind a great oline and a talented receiving corps. This year, with the same line and receivers, now it's suddenly the great QB being held back by a poor surrounding cast.

My honest opinion? We need better offensive coaching and I'm hoping The Joker is the medicine for what ails us. Pease needs to earn his paycheck and coach up Driskel A TON. The kid looked like he got zero coaching since after the Tennessee game, a game in which he actually played well and made some very nice reads/throws.

The RB coach gets a pass, as they improved a lot from the year before. The line coach should benefit from fresh faces and another year under Dillman for the big uglies, but the clock's ticking with him to get pass protection nailed down. Of course, having Pease coach up Driskel to recognize blitzes would help both the line and JD out a ton as well. Maybe even let JD audible out of bad plays; I know, I know... let's not hope for too much too soon :lol:

Our poor wide receivers haven't had good coaching for years. Joker is going to have his work cut out for him.

I'm not proclaiming that our offensive coaches are playing with a full deck yet; there are problems with our skill positions that may take a couple of years to fix. However, it is unacceptable with the talent we do have to have a triple-digit ranked offense at Florida. It's inexcusable and it shouldn't be tolerated.

I love Coach Muschamp, but he needs to get this thing fixed and fixed NOW. If he loses to Jawja for a 3rd time in a row, I honestly can say I don't want to see him back on the sidelines the following week.

My expectations for Driskel next season are low, but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again. I'd love to be wrong this time.

Well said sir. I've argued with you before b/c I don't like all the JD bashers that really know we have a ton of problems, but there's no arguing anything you wrote above. You might get friends with more posts like that.
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby divits888 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:10 pm

divits888 wrote:
floridagator wrote:
willgetin wrote:The majority of you chuckleheads just don't get it. This years pathetic passing game was NOT just JD... A QB's results depends as much on the receivers abilities as it does the QB's abilities. If we don't get better at running routes and catching the ball, it won't matter how JD plays...

If we have receivers next year that can actually run routes and go and get the ball, JD will have a great year.

So Johnny Brantley really wasn't the worst QB UF ever had, it was his bad receivers that made him appear so?

I'll hang up and listen.

Well that and his oline. JB became shell shocked and was never the same. We played against JB in HS under Kerwin and he was very accurate. Of course he ran a spread ace formation most of the time. Regardless I've never seen a player go from so good to completely terrible as I saw of Brantley at UF

I’ve brought this up a couple times before when the same dunderheads dump all of our offensive woes on Driskel. How is it that three of the very top rated high school QB’s in the country (Brantley, Driskel and Brissett) come to UF and all of the sudden forget how to throw and play the position? I mean, it can’t possibly be a combination of piss poor line blocking, mediocre receiver play, bad play calling and poor QB play. :rolleyes:

Still waiting for an answer.

I guess for the past couple of years it’s just been easier for you and others to make fun of Driskel’s looks than to take the time to write the half dozen paragraphs you just wrote. But thanks for finally making the effort to say what most people feel.
Last edited by divits888 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

You can't fix stupid.

I told you early on that the QB centered offense was resulting in WR, TE, and RB talent avoiding UF. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you early on that we were getting undersized at almost every position wouldn't work. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you that recruiting and teaching WRs to be blockers first, TEs to be backup QBs, and RBs to run only the sweep/stretch plays wouldn't work. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you early on that Waterheadazzio was a terrible OC. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you that we couldn't rely on smurfs up the middle and that Gilly should be the first and second down back. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you that Jordan Reed was simply too dumb to play QB. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I'm sure there are other I told you so statements that I'm forgetting now. That's the best I can do off the cuff.

Eventually, you guys will agree with me.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm

I Have No Friends :( wrote: Look I've dogged on Driskel all year, but it's mainly because I wasn't going to let all the Brantley haters get away with the same excuses they said didn't exist last year. Last year it was all Brantley screwing up behind a great oline and a talented receiving corps. This year, with the same line and receivers, now it's suddenly the great QB being held back by a poor surrounding cast.

That is the best part, isn't it? All you Brantley Biiitchers who jumped on the Driskel Train were de-railed.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:02 pm

law98gator wrote:You can't fix stupid.

I told you early on that I am a miserable human being. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you early on that my penis doesn't work. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you that I don't really have a law degree. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you early on that I am a closet Meyer fan. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I'm sure there are other I told you so statements that I'm forgetting now. That's the best I can do off the cuff.

WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby oxrageous » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 pm

I told you early on that the QB centered offense was resulting in WR, TE, and RB talent avoiding UF. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you early on that we were getting undersized at almost every position wouldn't work. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you that recruiting and teaching WRs to be blockers first, TEs to be backup QBs, and RBs to run only the sweep/stretch plays wouldn't work. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you early on that Waterheadazzio was a terrible OC. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you that we couldn't rely on smurfs up the middle and that Gilly should be the first and second down back. Eventually, you guys agreed.

I told you that Jordan Reed was simply too dumb to play QB. Eventually, you guys agreed.

Yeah, you told us all that after we had already won two National Championships doing it.
oxrageous

Postby willgetin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm glad our coaches never listened to you, otherwise we wouldn't have those 2 National Championships...
Alv: We have no excuses for this humiliating loss. We have only ourselves to blame. Tennessee most definitely deserved to lose.
Alv: You do realize your signature bums me out more than any other Jort rabble on the GSMB...Any chance you would...remove it?
willgetin
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm

We won 2 NCs because of the talent leftover by Zook and an incredible 2006 class.

Lane Kiffen could win with Tebow, Harvin, Spikes & Co.

Creyer was a 7-5/4-4 coach without Tebow and Harvin.
Last edited by law98gator on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby divits888 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm

law98gator wrote:We won 2 NCs because of the talent leftover by Zook and an incredible 2006 class.

You have to know that makes no sense.

You give Meyer no credit for recruiting Tebow, Spikes, Harvin, the Pouncys etc. and putting them in a system that went 12-1 in the SEC and won the NC in 2008. Silly.

He also gets no credit from you for taking guys who were recruited for a different kind of offense that went 8-5 the previous season and puts them in a system that takes them to 12-1 and a NC.

I’m not a big fan of Meyer’s because of the way he ended things at Florida and some of his other traits, but you can’t deny that the guy can coach and recruit. He deserves all the credit he gets for bringing us 2 National Championships.
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby Gouryella » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:58 pm

Meyer can coach. He's won whereever he's been. He probably always wanted to coach at Ohio State kinda like Boom here. But the way he left here and the condition of the program. Crazy.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm

law98gator wrote:We won 2 NCs because of the talent leftover by Zook and an incredible 2006 class.

Creyer was a 7-5/4-4 coach without Tebow and Harvin.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah yes, the Meyer can't coach argument. He turned around Bowling Green and went undefeated at Utah. Then after incredible success at UF that exceeded our wildest expectations, he goes to OSU and has an undefeated season right off the bat.

His career head coaching record of 116-23 (.835) is astounding. In fact, it's the third best winning percentage in the modern era of Div 1 coaches, just barely behind Barry Switzer (.837) and Tom Osbourne (.836).

Also, since you've bagged on every coaching assistant Meyer ever had at UF as incompetent, shouldn't even more credit be given to Meyer for winning regardless?

You can hate Meyer for the way he left. Implying he can't coach is just stupid.
oxrageous

Postby Zambo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Your Honor, I would like the court to rule on the motion that law98gator is an unmitigated dumbass.
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

PreviousNext

Return to Gatorsports Forum