Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alagator, Clawhammergator, Google Adsense [Bot], Hoosier Gator, lumagator, MSNbot Media, soflagator and 40 guests

Tebow to Jacksonville?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Re: Tebow to Jacksonville?

Postby oxrageous » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:13 am

FunnGun wrote:I think if he agreed to come in as a special teams guy and willing to learn a new position then we would snatch him up in a heart beat. Also think that's going to be his best option and I hope he takes it.

So Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne are really that much better? :rolleyes:

In case you didn't notice, those guys blow. Badly. Very, very badly. Even when Tebow plays lousy, it's entertaining.
oxrageous

Postby FunnGun » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:18 am

oxrageous wrote:
FunnGun wrote:I think if he agreed to come in as a special teams guy and willing to learn a new position then we would snatch him up in a heart beat. Also think that's going to be his best option and I hope he takes it.

So Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne are really that much better? :rolleyes:

In case you didn't notice, those guys blow. Badly. Very, very badly. Even when Tebow plays lousy, it's entertaining.

Where did I say Gabbert and Henne are that much better?

I've always thought "it's entertaining" was a sound business plan and a good reason to spend millions of dollars though.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby oxrageous » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:21 am

Good Christ. Isn't football supposed to be entertaining? "Sound business" is removing embarrassing tarps and putting people in the freaking stands. "Sound business" is making people want to tune in to Jags games, instead of crinkling their nose and turning it to a re-run of The Jeffersons. Even Tebow's haters tune in to pull against the guy. The Jags signing him and naming him the starter would be the best possible "sound business" the new owner can make. NFL fans would actually remember that franchise exists.

Nobody tunes in to watch Tebow on punt coverage.
oxrageous

Postby Coach9 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 am

The suggestions of him changing positions is stupid. He's a QB and a winning one. Build some spread and read option in the offense to maximize his talents and let him go.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby FunnGun » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:23 am

I'm not saying it won't happen, although I don't think it does, at least not as a starting QB, I'm just saying that this report is bs.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby travy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 am

son, he's a quarterback. turn in your gator card and log off!
travy
True Gator

Postby alcoholica » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:26 am

Jax has almost 10,000 seats covered. And to compare Jax fans to Tampa or Miami is ridiculous. Jax fills a good portion of the Swamp every Saturday.

As for Tebow, he's earned the right to have a shot. He has a winning record. That's means.....he's won more than lost. So quit listening to the talking heads and let's see what he can do in Jax. Do you want Barkely who couldn't even get it done at USC? Tyler Wilson? Geno Smith? Sh!t, come off of it. He took a **** Denver team and made them relevant. If not for Tebow, would Peyton even be there right now? They'd been 3-13 and Peyton would've laughed at them.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby FunnGun » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:27 am

oxrageous wrote:Good Christ. Isn't football supposed to be entertaining? "Sound business" is putting people in the freaking stands. "Sound business" is making people want to tune in to Jags games, instead of crinkling their nose and turning it to a re-run of The Jeffersons. Even Tebow's haters tune in to pull against the guy. The Jags signing him and naming him the starter would be the best possible "sound business" the new owner can make. NFL fans would actually remember that franchise exists.

And no one would tune in to see Tebow on the Jaguars.

As far as your business acumen goes, stick to selling used Miata's.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby FunnGun » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:28 am

travy wrote:

son, he's a quarterback. turn in your gator card and log off!

:sadwalk:

:lol:
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby FunnGun » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:31 am

alcoholica wrote:Jax has almost 10,000 seats covered. And to compare Jax fans to Tampa or Miami is ridiculous. Jax fills a good portion of the Swamp every Saturday.

As for Tebow, he's earned the right to have a shot. He has a winning record. That's means.....he's won more than lost. So quit listening to the talking heads and let's see what he can do in Jax. Do you want Barkely who couldn't even get it done at USC? Tyler Wilson? Geno Smith? Sh!t, come off of it. He took a **** Denver team and made them relevant. If not for Tebow, would Peyton even be there right now? They'd been 3-13 and Peyton would've laughed at them.

You know, I was just thinking about this. If it came down to it, with this years QB class, I would take Tebow for a stop gap year if it meant not drafting any of those guys. Plus there is some value in the middle rounds this year.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby alcoholica » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:31 am

FunnGun wrote:
oxrageous wrote:Good Christ. Isn't football supposed to be entertaining? "Sound business" is putting people in the freaking stands. "Sound business" is making people want to tune in to Jags games, instead of crinkling their nose and turning it to a re-run of The Jeffersons. Even Tebow's haters tune in to pull against the guy. The Jags signing him and naming him the starter would be the best possible "sound business" the new owner can make. NFL fans would actually remember that franchise exists.

I watched Denver games once he became the starter, and I hate the Broncos. A lot of people are in this boat buddy. Btw, f'ing hate the Broncos again. Stopped watching the Jets a couple games in when I realized they weren't going to play him. Rex is an asshat.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:32 am

FunnGun wrote:

What the hell do you base that on? Did his entire following suddenly fall into a sinkhole?

Let the Jags draft some new stiff like Matt Barkley, and return to another cringeworthy 4-12 season.

I personally think selling tickets and merchandise is good business. I guess you don't. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
oxrageous

Postby FunnGun » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 am

alcoholica wrote:
FunnGun wrote:

I watched Denver games once he became the starter, and I hate the Broncos. A lot of people are in this boat buddy. Btw, f'ing hate the Broncos again. Stopped watching the Jets a couple games in when I realized they weren't going to play him. Rex is an asshat.

I agree, but the only reason you watched, like me, is because you are a Gator fan. Without the TMZ type stuff 90% of the population couldn't careless. It's not the PR surge people think it is and the other stuff you just don't want. Just ask Denver and NY.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Coach9 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:35 am

Tebow makes the NFL fun. Last year was the first time I've enjoyed the NFL since the '85 Bears. Jacksonville needs to hitch their wagon to that horse and ride him. It is guaranteed to be a wild ride. Tebow would make the Jags relevant just like he did for Denver.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby alcoholica » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:36 am

FunnGun wrote:
alcoholica wrote:Jax has almost 10,000 seats covered. And to compare Jax fans to Tampa or Miami is ridiculous. Jax fills a good portion of the Swamp every Saturday.

You know, I was just thinking about this. If it came down to it, with this years QB class, I would take Tebow for a stop gap year if it meant not drafting any of those guys. Plus there is some value in the middle rounds this year.

That's the whole other side of this. What's a yr or 2 for Jax? They've got to rebuild a lot of positions. So why not give him a shot why they patch up other areas. In the meantime, you fill seats and put an entertaining product on the field. Not to mention, Tebow has some of the highest intangibles ever at QB. Not to say he has to talent to match them, but he finds a way and people follow. Brian Dawkins continues to defend him and thanked him for sending him out with a playoff season. Champ Bailey has recently backed him. Those are two endorsements that mean more to me than McGahee or Rex Ryan or Demarius slick fingers Thomas.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:37 am

oxrageous wrote:Good Christ. Isn't football supposed to be entertaining? "Sound business" is removing embarrassing tarps and putting people in the freaking stands. "Sound business" is making people want to tune in to Jags games, instead of crinkling their nose and turning it to a re-run of The Jeffersons. Even Tebow's haters tune in to pull against the guy. The Jags signing him and naming him the starter would be the best possible "sound business" the new owner can make. NFL fans would actually remember that franchise exists.

Sound business in the NFL today, Ox, means putting together a winning product that creates excitement in a concentric fashion, circling from the national media down to the local fan base.

Whether in podunk Jacksonville that involves Tim Tebow, time will tell. There obviously are a lot of other missing parts.

Regardless, just floating the local hero out there in front of the fan base will not solve their long-term issue. Yes, it would create an immediate buzz, but if the hooplah weren't eventually accompanied with something meaningful, it would inevitably fade into yet another lame PR attempt at winning over the fans. And in the NFL, that doesn't work.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby FunnGun » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:39 am

oxrageous wrote:
FunnGun wrote:

What the hell do you base that on? Did his entire following suddenly fall into a sinkhole?

Let the Jags draft some new stiff like Matt Barkley, and return to another cringeworthy 4-12 season.

I personally think selling tickets and merchandise is good business. I guess you don't. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

That's not what I said. Sales is the ultimate goal for any business. I just think you have a narrowed view of the process and your perspective is too short sided. I could lay it out for you but I don't think you or I am really that interested. I'm a Jaguar fan, you are a Tebow fan, 'nuff said.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby oxrageous » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:43 am

FunnGunn, I used to be a Jaguars fan. I absolutely loved the Brunell/Fred Taylor Jags. Loved 'em. I was living in Denver when that Jaguar team with Natrone Means came into town and beat their asses. The meltdown was historic.

After Freddie left, I lost interest in them. Honestly, I have no NFL team anymore. But if there's any team I'd like to enjoy watching again, it would be the Jags.

Also, Tebow's tremendous following in Denver went well beyond Gator fans. Never seen anything like it. It certainly can't be explained away that they were all Gator fans.
oxrageous

Postby Amazin1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:43 am

and as a Tebow fan the best thing for him is NOT to go to jax...it will be a fiasco just like ny...
Amazin1
All-American Gator

Postby alcoholica » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 am

FunnGun wrote:
alcoholica wrote:
FunnGun wrote:

I agree, but the only reason you watched, like me, is because you are a Gator fan. Without the TMZ type stuff 90% of the population couldn't careless. It's not the PR surge people think it is and the other stuff you just don't want. Just ask Denver and NY.

I spoke to a DirecTV customer support rep prior to the season. She happened to be based out of G'ville. This was prior to this season starting. She said that the fan base was still livid about the trade to the Jets and that Elway had better hope that Peyton's neck holds up.

Here's a link to a story about a NJ bar last year http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/tim-tebow-headline-denver-broncos-qb-deserves-chance-start-article-1.962891
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

PreviousNext

Return to Gatorsports Forum