34 replies to this topic

#21 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

I'm not so sure. Reports have surfaced that Del Rio is the guy. It's disturbing.

I think we can all agree that the wind has been taken out of our sails for this first game. I completely retract my previous prediction. We may still win, but this will be yet another ball control, uninspiring slog. Those of us hoping to finally see signs of our offense opening up and breathing a little will have to continue to wait.

Reports?

WTF - step off the ledge. Or JUMP, pretty please.

business-commerce-one_step_at_a_time-led

#22 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

No decision has been made about who the starter is . None. Don't believe anything to the contrary. And Del Rio not only will not start, I wonder how much playing time he'll even get this year. His future is better suited as a coach than a player.  Second, these suspensions are a good thing. Guys do wrong, they get punished. That's the way it should be. We are not going to lose to Michigan just because Callaway is not playing. He is good and I wish he were there, but this issue is bigger than one game. He has been a complete idiot the past several  months, and  this is a sign to another talented player to step up. Callaway is starting to look like DeMarcus Robinson. I like the way this is being handled. 

Well said mk!

#23 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

We managed to win some pretty big games without Percy Harvin.  Time for someone who wants it more to step up and take advantage of the opportunity.

I like the way it has been handled as well.

It's amazing what so many consider a "report" these days...

#24 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

We managed to win some pretty big games without Percy Harvin.  Time for someone who wants it more to step up and take advantage of the opportunity.

I like the way it has been handled as well.

It's amazing what so many consider a "report" these days...

Yeah, but those Percy Harvin teams had a lot more proven talent around him. 

And a report is a report. Ox's site has been posting about it and it was apparently discussed on sports radio, as well. Supposedly, the staff feels Del Rio's knowledge of the playbook gives him a major edge. Disappointing. 

#25 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

Regarding the Del Rio rumors, notice whose pic is on the front page right now....

As I've said, very unsettling. 

#26 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

We haven't had the first snap of the season and LOF is already predicting doom and gloom.

If Del Rio starts, it's because he's the best QB we have for this game.  I'll fully support whoever is named because they have earned the confidence of the coaches and players to fill the role.  As I wrote in another thread, I've always thought a healthy LDR would start in this first game because of his knowledge of the offense and his previous starts.  Less unknowns with LDR for the first time out - and on the road in a strange environment.

Based on the depth and talent at the position this season, I expect to see all three QBs play significant minutes.  As the confidence and the ability of the offense goes us, the QB role is less critical and players interchangable.  That makes it easier to switch the QB to use the different talent and skill sets on the roster.

So relax and wait to see how things work out before stressing on who might play any position in the first game.

#27 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

We haven't had the first snap of the season and LOF is already predicting doom and gloom.

If Del Rio starts, it's because he's the best QB we have for this game.  I'll fully support whoever is named because they have earned the confidence of the coaches and players to fill the role.  As I wrote in another thread, I've always thought a healthy LDR would start in this first game because of his knowledge of the offense and his previous starts.  Less unknowns with LDR for the first time out - and on the road in a strange environment.

Based on the depth and talent at the position this season, I expect to see all three QBs play significant minutes.  As the confidence and the ability of the offense goes us, the QB role is less critical and players interchangable.  That makes it easier to switch the QB to use the different talent and skill sets on the roster.

So relax and wait to see how things work out before stressing on who might play any position in the first game.

I want the QB with the highest upside to play and gain experience in that major atmosphere. Del Rio is not that guy. I won't hide the fact that I'll be disappointed in our staff if he starts. 

That said, with Callaway out and rumors of Del Rio having the edge, it appears this game has been thrust onto the shoulders of the O line and Scarlett anyway. I hope they are up to the challenge and ready to grind one out for us. 

#28 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

I want the QB with the highest upside to play and gain experience in that major atmosphere. Del Rio is not that guy. I won't hide the fact that I'll be disappointed in our staff if he starts. 

That said, with Callaway out and rumors of Del Rio having the edge, it appears this game has been thrust onto the shoulders of the O line and Scarlett anyway. I hope they are up to the challenge and ready to grind one out for us. 

What you want is not important. 

Mac will play the QB that give us the best chance to win. That is the goal. To win. 

#29 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

What you want is not important.

Mac will play the QB that give us the best chance to win. That is the goal. To win.

And Del Rio is absolutely NOT that guy.
  • Lawrence of Florida likes this

#30 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

The coaches know better than you or I. I hope its Franks, but if it is LDR, I will root for him to do well. 

#31 mkfgator

mkfgator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

The  point everyone is making  is the coaches know best. They do, which is why they have not named a starter. There is still competition. So the clue is who is doing the best right now with the game plan the coaches have for their offense? Del Rio knew the offense a year ago and is supposedly healthy, so if he is the starter due to his "experience" and "knowledge", which pre-existed  fall practice , why hasn't he already been named the starter? He will be the more knowledgeable (supposedly) and experienced QB  a year from now a year also. Is that good enough? Did we crack to top 100 last year in offense with him at QB? This is a competition. My son played ball with one of the O linemen and against some others  on the team when he was in high school. The players throw Franks and Zaire's name around a lot.  All three QB'a now know the  the playbook. Experience is great, if you can throw the ball more than 40 yards in the air and can run a 40 in less than 6 seconds. Otherwise, you are experienced at  understanding your shortcomings. If you look at how the coaches have recruited, moreover, you get a glimpse or two about their plan for the offense. Franks can run and throw. Zaire can run and throw. Corral can run and throw. The other kid we recruited hard at QB  can run and throw. Del Rio has trouble with both. Del Rio is no threat once we are in the red zone. We have had trouble in the red zone because , in part, our QB is no threat to run it. Franks, Zaire and Corral won't have that problem. I believe Mac is a problem solver and he is solving them one at a time. Unless Luke has gotten a lot stronger and faster with a quicker delivery, I don't see his problems being solved. Plus , I checked Gatorcountry, Fightingators, and 247sports and NO ONE is saying Del Rio is the starter. In fact, they are either saying nothing or talking more about the other two. Also, take what this forum and every other site takes with a sense of perspective. They exist to offer a forum for speculation and rumor mongering. You can say anything before something happens about what is going to happen. Speculation makes everyone a genius. And the writers on a lot of these sites have to say something every 15 minutes lest, God forbid, some other site tells me something before he does . So take their BS with a grain of salt and a bottle of tequila. I remember when " Hollywood Bob" all but guaranteed Florida hired Bob Stoops before Muschamp. Stoops even supposedly had a players meeting  and was preparing for a presser on taking the Fla job. For goodness sake, the Recruiting forum right here on Gatorsports  starts with a thread entitled "Gaddy Twins Committing."

• g8tr76, mtn2top, OldGatorAlum and 1 other like this

#32 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

agree 100%

add to that there are some with their own agendas despite what they would like others to believe, so a lot of what is read is nonsense

#33 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

The coaches know better than you or I. I hope its Franks, but if it is LDR, I will root for him to do well.

Of course I would WANT him to do well. But I already know he wouldn't. That's my point.
  • Lawrence of Florida likes this

#34 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

Plus , I checked Gatorcountry, Fightingators, and 247sports and NO ONE is saying Del Rio is the starter. 

Ox's site is reporting that Del Rio has the edge due to his knowledge of the playbook. Also, a couple guys on some drive time sports show (1010XL) apparently echoed it and had inside knowledge.

It makes sense that the staff will likely choose a more conservative route in the opener in the aftermath of these suspensions. Not saying it's the decision I would make, but it's pretty obvious we'll be going into "protection mode"; seeking to eat clock and grind another one out. The staff views Del Rio as the safe choice, unfortunately. 

I just hope a bad showing on offense doesn't cost us Corral's commitment. We had so much momentum in recruiting on that side of the ball, and a showcase effort would have really sealed the deal with a lot of those recruits. Many of their handlers will only see us play 3 or so games this year: Michigan, LSU, maybe UGA, and FSU. It hurts that in the big one at Cowboys Stadium, right out of the gate, we'll be implementing a hyper-conservative gameplan with an under-skilled scrub like Del Rio at QB. 

I shake my head in disgust, but, like a lot of other saps, I'll be out there in Dallas because Gator Football is unfortunately an addiction I just can't break. 

#35 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

A report indicating he has the edge is meaningless. You worry too much. WAY TOO MUCH. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users