Click bait? 

• vulcan_alex and mtn2top like this

#3 Alvin York

Alvin York

Besa

• Members
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

I thought I told you to go XXXX your mother?

Still Our Royal Family!!

tennessee-junior-and-lulu.jpg

#4 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

Really beginning to wonder if this program has a systematic issue in protecting its premium talent. 

#5 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:42 AM

Don't get carried away by a wild and unsubstantiated rumor. Go Gators!

#6 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

It is unsubstantiated and seems to have grown bigger in the retelling.

One of the more reasonable sounding reports is that a few players may have used UAA distributed charge cards, which are to be used to buy only school-related supplies, to purchase some unauthorized items and then sell them. By some accounts, the amount in question was $1500 (for five individuals), and it has already been handled in-house. These accounts say that the players had to repay what they had charged and faced some other disciplinary actions. If all of this is true, these rumors are recycling a situation that is already history.

I'm assuming the cards in question are related to the stipend that players now receive -- if these reports have any validity that is.

• mtn2top likes this

#7 oxrageous

oxrageous

Gatorsports Legend

• Members
  • 14,076 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

I thought I told you to go XXXX your mother?

It's really great to see you here.  This place absolutely deserves you.  

• WernerIsTentative likes this

#8 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

Wasn't too bad... Callaway sure seems to have some discipline issues.  No excuse for dragging other teammates into trouble.

#9 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

So there were seven players involved rather than the commonly reported five. Not sure what will wake Callaway up. It's hard to imagine that this won't be his last chance.

• mtn2top likes this

#10 The RH Factor

The RH Factor

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

Who needs the Gainesville Sun when you have the Gatorsports forum?

#11 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

I really wouldn't mind seeing callaway suspended for more than one game at this point. Marijuana mistakes I understand, but this is absolutely stupid. Makes those original sexual assault accusations look worse too now, because I'm seeing a pattern of stupid, thuggish behavior. 

#12 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

I'm not defending what Callaway did - he obviously has trouble staying in line. However, at what point does the UAA maybe need to step back and recognize that we're having issues getting our top playmakers on the field? Grier, Callaway, Tabor, etc. Also, don't we have like a 5 or 6 year streak of not starting the same QB who started the season against FSU? 

Not blaming anyone directly. Obviously there are things they can't control. However, this is a business and at what point do the customers start to question the value of their purchase when so many big names are missing so many big games? 

It's dispiriting. 

I thought this guy "twodaparty" over at Swamp Gas pretty much summed it up: 

We are the only school pretty much who will suspend our players for the opening game regardless of the opponent. All schools who play a cupcake to open the season have a list of suspended players. It's just not reported because it isn't relevant. When Meyer was here half the team it seemed missed game one for "violation of team rules." The difference is other schools will do that if game one is against a nobody, but do you see for example any key player suspended for Alabama, Florida state or Michigan in week 1? Thought so..

Yet they were all choir boys this offseason right? No, there were probably multiple players for those 3 teams that had incidents in the offseason that either didn't make the news because it was swept under the rug or it did get reported but all of sudden there was an explanation for the behavior or was dropped or whatever. This is so frustrating and I'm not even as excited to make the trip out there anymore. Bull crap.

#13 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

P.S. It's being reported on other forums that Del Rio will start the opener. Can this opening weekend get any worse?

#14 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

Callaway needs to pack up and go. In my 60 years of cheering for the Gators I have seen some dumb brain dead players wearing the Orange & Blue but I think Callaway takes the cake. He is without a doubt the most undisciplined, self centered individual to appear on Florida Field yet. And that includes some real characters. His ill advised actions distract from the rest of the team but he doesn't seem to have a clue how to conduct himself. This team is already borderline talented and then we've got the only true star acting like a moron. Pitiful.

#15 gatorfor88

gatorfor88

True Gator

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • LocationPanama City

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:28 AM

AAA4834.jpg

#16 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Most of these players would not have impacted the game.  We are deep at receiver and should get used to playing without Callaway anyway.

#17 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:36 AM

Most of these players would not have impacted the game.  We are deep at receiver and should get used to playing without Callaway anyway.

Agreed. 

#18 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

Most of these players would not have impacted the game. We are deep at receiver and should get used to playing without Callaway anyway.

Easy to say, but it will be yet another high profile game without a star playmaker. It's just getting kind of old.

#19 mkfgator

mkfgator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

No decision has been made about who the starter is . None. Don't believe anything to the contrary. And Del Rio not only will not start, I wonder how much playing time he'll even get this year. His future is better suited as a coach than a player.  Second, these suspensions are a good thing. Guys do wrong, they get punished. That's the way it should be. We are not going to lose to Michigan just because Callaway is not playing. He is good and I wish he were there, but this issue is bigger than one game. He has been a complete idiot the past several  months, and  this is a sign to another talented player to step up. Callaway is starting to look like DeMarcus Robinson. I like the way this is being handled. 

#20 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:29 PM

No decision has been made about who the starter is . None. Don't believe anything to the contrary. And Del Rio not only will not start, I wonder how much playing time he'll even get this year. His future is better suited as a coach than a player...

I'm not so sure. Reports have surfaced that Del Rio is the guy. It's disturbing.

I think we can all agree that the wind has been taken out of our sails for this first game. I completely retract my previous prediction. We may still win, but this will be yet another ball control, uninspiring slog. Those of us hoping to finally see signs of our offense opening up and breathing a little will have to continue to wait.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users