• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:25 PM

Supposedly, the new stadium in Atlanta has experienced delays due to some issues with the roof. 

Perhaps the roof can collapse and wipe out both teams and their fans? 

In all seriousness, though, I see a lot of my fellow Gators telling FSU fans, "You don't know what's about to hit you....Bama will be in your backfield all day...etc." I disagree and think it's the other way around. I'm not sure Alabama realizes what's about to hit them. I think Francois is going to march up and down the field on them all night, and the FSU D will completely silence Hurts and the Bama O. The problem for Bama is that Hurts sucks as a passer as it is, but now he's going to have to deal with Derwin James and Co. I see FSU forcing Hurts and Scarborough into a lot of controlled, predictable running lanes, and stifling them. They should be able to load the box fairly easily without much fear of Hurts making them pay. Also, if Saban panics and goes to Tua, that could be an even bigger disaster because there's no way that kid has ever seen the type of defensive speed FSU has out in his native Hawaii. Derwin will be saying, "Aloha!" as he takes another pick to the house. This could seriously be a multi-pick game for DJ. 

I realize Saban has had great success in these opening games, but this isn't Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin, or Tommy Bowden's Clemson. The Noles recruit just as well as Alabama and Jimbo, in my opinion, is the greatest offensive play-caller in the game. I saw some of my fellow Gators on another board saying that, if Jimbo coached at some school like Indiana, he'd be nothing special (implying that FL talent makes a difference), but I just don't buy it. I want to beat him as much as anyone, but let's give credit where it's due - the guy knows how to get his playmakers the ball in space. He's not going to be intimidated to match wits with the great Saban at all because they used to go against each other all the time in practices at LSU. I just don't think the Crimson Necks realize how little FSU will be phased by their brand and history under Saban in this game. 

Something else I don't understand is people throwing the 2013 Noles' "We Want Bama" rhetoric back in their face...basically saying, "You wanted them, now you've got them." Apparently, Team Jameis stated that they would've preferred to play Alabama in that title game instead of Auburn because it would have done more for their image. What's wrong with that? All these other fans - not just Gators - and media pundits are acting like Bama would have beaten the '13 Noles. I don't see it. Team Jameis might have handled them easier than Auburn, actually, given the fact that Bama's pro style system was a better match up than Gus' funky, up-tempo spread. Alabama acts like they're the only ones capable of fielding great teams. That Noles team was loaded, period. 

Anyway, I'm sure I'm going to get the typical, "Lawrence, why don't you just be a Nole?" barbs for this post, but this isn't a troll post. I think this is one game where it's realistic for the Orange and Blue to get behind our Garnet and Gold Sunshine State brethren. I hate Alabama and hope Chief Osceola shoves that spear up their you-know-what's.

Virtually every single loss Nick Saban has had during his time at Bama has been close (within 7 to 10 points). Much like their opening weekend streak, I think that's coming to an end. Crimson Neck fans won't be able to spin this one as a fluke. I see this as a bone-shattering, confidence-questioning loss: 

Seminoles-31

Alabama-6

#2 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:23 AM

I will never root for FSU over an SEC team.
  • mtn2top likes this

#3 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Somehow I hope they both lose but I'll root for bama just because if f$u does win they won't be able to shut up about it.

I agree, I think Bama comes in hungover from the natty and drops this game 28-24

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#4 68andioweya1

68andioweya1

Baby Gator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

LOF when are you going to come out of the closet with your love for F$U?

• vulcan_alex and mtn2top like this

#5 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

FSU beating Bama does nothing for UF. It will hurts us in recruiting. It hurts the SEC brand. A strong SEC brand benefits UF. 

And 10 is correct, FSU will not shut up if they win. 

That said - I think FSU has a real chance to win the game. Their DL will need to dominate Bama's OL. I think that is a real possibility in week one. 

#6 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

LOF, The Noles were extremely disappointed by their spring game. Absolutely no receivers. Dalvin Cook is gone. Questions in their OL. Gators pull a mild upset against the Noles in the Swamp this year. 

I also agree with your point that Alabama may be a little off and the Gators may be playing Auburn for the SEC. Still looks like '69 to me.

#7 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

31-6? 

Would that be like the most any team has dominated bama in 9 years? Bold prediction that I disagree with. If there is a blowout I think it goes in Bamas favor... but I think the game is gonna be close.

#8 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:05 PM

Alabama has recruited the top classes and best players year after year.  They have ten years of coaching and recruiting continuity under Saban.  I don't see any kind of let down this year for Alabama. 

Fisher has been at FSU for seven years as the head coach, longer still as the offensive coordinator.  No one is underestimating the Seminoles this season in the ACC.

Great test for both teams with ACC and SEC reputations on the line. If FSU comes out with the win then I'm a believer.  Until then, I'll stick with the SEC and Alabama to have the better team.

#9 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:54 PM

31-6? 

Would that be like the most any team has dominated bama in 9 years? 

Yep. They're long overdue for a beatdown and I think everything catches up to them in this game. 

#10 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

Alabama has recruited the top classes and best players year after year.  They have ten years of coaching and recruiting continuity under Saban.  I don't see any kind of let down this year for Alabama. 

Fisher has been at FSU for seven years as the head coach, longer still as the offensive coordinator.  No one is underestimating the Seminoles this season in the ACC.

Great test for both teams with ACC and SEC reputations on the line. If FSU comes out with the win then I'm a believer.  Until then, I'll stick with the SEC and Alabama to have the better team.

Not so fast, my friend....Saban's staff has been hit hard with turnover the past couple of years, they still have major question marks at QB, and they're facing a team/coach that 1.) is extremely familiar with their system and 2.) has recruited just as well. 

Be very careful in assuming it's just business as usual in Tuscaloosa this year. Lots of holes to fill, imo, and I think it's pretty telling that their recruiting has begun to taper off (ranked #33 last I checked). The rumors about Saban's impending retirement (which he has only himself to blame for telling the media, "I'd rather leave the party early than too late") and the fact that he's now competing on the trail against a plethora of former staff members who know his methodologies inside/out are weighing against him. That Clemson loss hit him harder than he wants to admit, too...getting scalped in the ensuing season's opener will only further bring them back down to earth. I'm all for it. 

The biggest thing people are overlooking in this game is how easy it will be for the Noles to make Bammer  one dimensional. When you consider Jimbo's play-calling prowess on the flip side, this one has the potential for a runaway. That's why I chose that score....I think it's reasonable, although I certainly understand those who might not want to bury the Saban dynasty yet. I, for one, though, have already got my shovel and am ready to start tossing dirt on it. Let's celebrate our vaunted rivals ending the tyranny and opening up a new chapter of college football. The Noles still have to go through the Swamp in November. 

#11 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:07 AM

And 10 is correct, FSU will not shut up if they win. 

I doubt that FSU will shut up even with a loss. There will always be excuses.

Close game loss -- crooked SEC officials

Blow out loss -- bad crab legs from Publix, "The whole team had food poisoning".

• vulcan_alex likes this

#12 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

Who cares?
  • vulcan_alex likes this

#13 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

I never root for FSU or some other teams unless them winning helps the Gators.  Time will tell, but I think Bama will be teaching those Noles just what it is like to play top flight SEC teams.  I hope to enjoy a well played game.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#14 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

Bama will win

Bama returns most of their offense, minus Kiffin

fsu loses their most experienced receives, the best RB in the country, and both tackles. Their QB got killed last year and they have to replace their tackles?  The Bama DEs and D-Cord are licking their chops.

Can their freshman RBs pickup the blitz?  That will be a big key.

• mtn2top likes this

#15 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Bama will win

Bama returns most of their offense, minus Kiffin

fsu loses their most experienced receives, the best RB in the country, and both tackles. Their QB got killed last year and they have to replace their tackles?  The Bama DEs and D-Cord are licking their chops.

Can their freshman RBs pickup the blitz?  That will be a big key.

I bet that Bama will get pressure without blitzing, and will slow down the running game with their defensive line.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#16 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

Not so fast, my friend....Saban's staff has been hit hard with turnover the past couple of years, they still have major question marks at QB, and they're facing a team/coach that 1.) is extremely familiar with their system and 2.) has recruited just as well. 

Be very careful in assuming it's just business as usual in Tuscaloosa this year. Lots of holes to fill, imo, and I think it's pretty telling that their recruiting has begun to taper off (ranked #33 last I checked). The rumors about Saban's impending retirement (which he has only himself to blame for telling the media, "I'd rather leave the party early than too late") and the fact that he's now competing on the trail against a plethora of former staff members who know his methodologies inside/out are weighing against him. That Clemson loss hit him harder than he wants to admit, too...getting scalped in the ensuing season's opener will only further bring them back down to earth. I'm all for it. 

The biggest thing people are overlooking in this game is how easy it will be for the Noles to make Bammer  one dimensional. When you consider Jimbo's play-calling prowess on the flip side, this one has the potential for a runaway. That's why I chose that score....I think it's reasonable, although I certainly understand those who might not want to bury the Saban dynasty yet. I, for one, though, have already got my shovel and am ready to start tossing dirt on it. Let's celebrate our vaunted rivals ending the tyranny and opening up a new chapter of college football. The Noles still have to go through the Swamp in November. 

What a bunch of nonsense.  Most of what you've mentioned means nothing to these players and teams. You think too much of your beloved Noles.

This is Alabama, pride of the SEC, not some ragtag ACC team. It's Alabama that has the defense to take the run away from FSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users