#1 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

link

Incremental progress on offense this season probably won’t be enough for Florida to strive for anything more than another humbling loss in the SEC championship game, and division foes Georgia or Tennessee could deny the Gators an invitation to Atlanta. (Though Florida does get the Volunteers at The Swamp.) It will take a gigantic leap for the Gators to have the firepower make a serious run at Alabama for the conference’s College Football Playoff berth, assuming it only gets one. But after two years filled with facepalm-inducing, low-scoring eyesores, Florida should be able to get the wheels turning on an offensive renaissance, just in time to incorporate a young group of highly touted reinforcements.

Sponsored Stories

#2 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

Starting?  It's been going on since Coach Mac arrived.  This is the year we are very likely to see a significant improvement.

That's the nature of an offense, it takes a bit to implement a winning scheme and teach it to players.  This is year three and improvement is highly likely.  As goes the offensive line, so does our offensive capability.  Things are looking good this season with all the ingredients for a power running game and an effective and diverse passing attack.

#3 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

I've always thought that being in Florida, the US football capital of true athleticism and speed, if you can recruit a quality offense, your defense will have at least enough speed to keep the other team at bay, leading to a lot of high scoring wins. Spurrier did it for years, Meyer was more balanced when it came to recruiting overall. 

Muschamp had the opposite philosophy but in the long term it could make us better for it. UF has become known as a school that produces quality defensive players, but with Mac's recent recruiting success on the other side of the ball we could be building an elite team for years to come with the good reputation on both sides of the ball. 

Can you imagine what some of our teams would have done if they just had an offense in the last five years? I try not to think about it. 

• mtn2top likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#4 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

No one has been a bigger critic of just how lousy this offense has been in the past 5 years than me.

What people forget is the saga of Grier and how that set us back 2 years. Starting from ground zero Mac has had to re set the offense.  My only issues are lack of recruiting: getting a QB aboard (done) and the play calling (probably a result of lack of play-makers), again recruiting.

Next three years could/ should be the offensive Renaissance due to recent recruiting efforts. If it continues. It's my wish list!

• Homer J, mtn2top and GatorUrf10 like this

#5 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

@gatorhart

I agree. I hope that Franks hangs in there.  He may not be the guy this year but I think he will be next year.

• GatorUrf10 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users