• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

Just a few more weeks and the season starts with this competitive opener.

The keys to this game for a Florida win is generating offense - possession minutes and points.  Our defense needs to be strong against the run and avoid giving away anything easy over the top.

Every indication is the Gator offense will be improved.  Considering how the offense has bumbled and stumbled along the past few seasons, that could be very significant.  Run or pass, the Gators will have a balanced attack no matter who starts at QB. The offense may need to carry the load for this game in time of possession and points.

The way things usually work, our offense does just enough to win and the defense holds the score down. What if both offense and defense play better than expected?  Our o-line is syncing up and there's a bunch of new guys eager to carry on the tradition of DBU.  

Michigan has a challenging run to setup the pass offense leaning heavy on a dual purpose tight end.  Our defense will need to figure things out fast to stay in front of Michigan's offense and stay strong in the middle against the run.  Both teams come into the game with coaching continuity and on the ascent.  Couldn't ask for a more competitive, evenly matched out-of-conference opener.

#2 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

I agree those three and outs really stress any defense, and if we can get in range we do have a great kicker with long range.  I am looking forward to it.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#3 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

I feel like this Michigan team is beatable and I will be looking for our staff to show that we've turned a corner in this one. Right now, I'm thinking we win something along the lines of 33-13. 

Also, anyone else going out there? I've had a heck of a time finding a reasonable flight. I'll be staying in Fort Worth, if anyone is interested in doing a meet-up. 

#4 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:54 AM

Being the first game adds another level to the excitement. 

I don't think there will be anything near a 20 point margin of victory considering the strong running game and defenses of both teams. I see this close enough that our kicking could be the difference.

#5 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

I don't like this game for us. It's a lose/lose scenario in terms of outcome. The only way the Gators look good after this game is if we win by 4+ touchdowns.

If we win in a thriller, UF is underachieving and Um is on the right track. If they beat us, then Mac has set the program back, Harbaugh is a genius....

I think beating michigan would be huge but I don't think we will get much respect for it. 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#6 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

I came up with about the same score as LOF three months ago. The Gators will only achieve this if they go all out and try to get early separation SOS style and then never let up.

Conservative play by the Gators will play into Harbaugh's hands.

#7 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

I don't like this game for us. It's a lose/lose scenario in terms of outcome. The only way the Gators look good after this game is if we win by 4+ touchdowns.

If we win in a thriller, UF is underachieving and Um is on the right track. If they beat us, then Mac has set the program back, Harbaugh is a genius....

I think beating michigan would be huge but I don't think we will get much respect for it. 

I'm wondering why you believe people would regard a close win by the Gators as underachieving. The preseason coaches poll has Michigan ranked ninth and the Gators sixteenth. Polls at this time of year are mostly meaningless, of course, but this shows that many still think Michigan will be a challenging opponent. I would think that any sort of win would look good.

Then again, if people remain unimpressed by the Gators after a win, maybe that's not a bad thing. Let people underestimate them.

#8 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

This Michigan team is replacing something like 22 starters. If we can't have success against them, it doesn't bode well for our future. 

I don't want to see us tip-toe into this. I want to see an intense, aggressive style of play from the opening kick. O line getting push. Scarlett, Perine, and the boys gashing them up the gut. Deep tests of their secondary with Callaway and Cleveland. Efficient TE play, especially down in the red zone (as much as we love Eddy, we want TD's, not FG's, and TE play is a huge part of that in McElwain's offense). 

I feel very comfortable saying that, if our offense comes out and flops in this game, I'll be looking for an immediate change in coordination with Nussmeier being demoted and McElwain assuming full play-calling duties for the rest of the season. After the season, I'd then expect Nussmeier to be let go and Mac can either take it over full time himself or attempt to make a better hire. 

But the time is now. We can't afford to continue being mired in the muck offensively given some of the recruiting targets on the line in this 2018 class. The staff has done a lot of hard work securing prospects' interest, so now don't lose them with uninspiring performances in the season. If it's floundering early, make a change. 

That being said, as I posted earlier, I think we'll play well against Michigan and win fairly comfortably. UF-33 Mich-13, is my call. 

#9 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

I'm wondering why you believe people would regard a close win by the Gators as underachieving. The preseason coaches poll has Michigan ranked ninth and the Gators sixteenth. Polls at this time of year are mostly meaningless, of course, but this shows that many still think Michigan will be a challenging opponent. I would think that any sort of win would look good.

Then again, if people remain unimpressed by the Gators after a win, maybe that's not a bad thing. Let people underestimate them.

If you read what Lawrence wrote right after your post you'll see what I'm getting at. 

I don't care what team it is, a win is a win and I'm always happy about them.

• mtn2top likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#10 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

If you read what Lawrence wrote right after your post you'll see what I'm getting at. 

But I don't think it's unfair. This is Year 3 and we need to see growth on offense. Yes, it's the first game in a marquee setting, but they've known that was coming for years. Be prepared for it, show us what you've got. I do not believe Gator Nation will quietly accept another season of inept offensive performances; culminating with a 5th straight no-show vs. FSU. If it looks like that's what's on deck in the performance vs. Michigan, then I think some changes may need to be made. 

#11 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

This Michigan team is replacing something like 22 starters. If we can't have success against them, it doesn't bode well for our future. 

I don't want to see us tip-toe into this. I want to see an intense, aggressive style of play from the opening kick. O line getting push. Scarlett, Perine, and the boys gashing them up the gut. Deep tests of their secondary with Callaway and Cleveland. Efficient TE play, especially down in the red zone (as much as we love Eddy, we want TD's, not FG's, and TE play is a huge part of that in McElwain's offense). 

I feel very comfortable saying that, if our offense comes out and flops in this game, I'll be looking for an immediate change in coordination with Nussmeier being demoted and McElwain assuming full play-calling duties for the rest of the season. After the season, I'd then expect Nussmeier to be let go and Mac can either take it over full time himself or attempt to make a better hire. 

But the time is now. We can't afford to continue being mired in the muck offensively given some of the recruiting targets on the line in this 2018 class. The staff has done a lot of hard work securing prospects' interest, so now don't lose them with uninspiring performances in the season. If it's floundering early, make a change. 

That being said, as I posted earlier, I think we'll play well against Michigan and win fairly comfortably. UF-33 Mich-13, is my call. 

Such a over reaction. 

#12 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

Such a over reaction.

And such an under reaction from you. McElwain was hired to fix the offense. If this season shows us more of the same garbage on offense we've seen for nearly the past decade, then LOF's reactions are completely valid.

#13 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

I see both sides.  If this offense comes out and flops, I see a need for a change.  I'm trying to have faith and this game will be the perfect thermometer of the season. 

Well, maybe not perfect, but I hold faith that things will change. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#14 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

To Urf's point, I see what he's saying and think he'd be right on the money if we were playing, say, Wisconsin instead of Michigan. Yet, because Harbaugh has been such a high profile coach and drawn a lot of attention to their program, I think we're actually sort of a perceived underdog in this one. I also feel the Citrus Bowl outcome factors into that. So, even if we stub our toe in this one, I don't think too many will hold it against us - it will be somewhat expected; especially if it's the offense that is to blame. People will just say, "Same old Florida," not "OMG, they lost to Michigan!" 

Again, though, I like our chances in this one. I think we're going to match-up well and play like we have a lot to prove. 

#15 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

I see both sides. If this offense comes out and flops, I see a need for a change. I'm trying to have faith and this game will be the perfect thermometer of the season.

Well, maybe not perfect, but I hold faith that things will change.

We're you using the word thermometer on purpose for humor or did you really mean barometer?

#16 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Another thought on this game: 

I want our staff to give some of the new faces a chance if they've been practicing well and earned it. Don't be afraid to stick Lemons in there for a few plays, for example, just because it's a big opening game and you fear the stage might be too big. That's too conservative. Ignore the setting and allow playmakers to make plays - don't be tentative. You didn't see Saban holding Julio Jones and Mark Ingram back against Clemson in 2008. Let's punch them in the mouth and let this thing ride - no reason to play it close to the vest. We want to show a national audience that it's a new story in Gainesville these days.  

#17 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

I don't think Coach Mac and team are going to do things much differently this season.  We're building a program and this is the opening performance for this group of players and personnel for the 2017-18 season.  This is almost a completely different team from his first year. 

Offense is where we should see the most benefits this season with some players in this scheme for up to three years.  If my memory is correct from the string of OCs that have gone through this program, that hasn't been the case since Dan Mullen was the OC at Florida. 

Rather than expect an offensive explosion against a pre-season top ten team, I look for a steady and consistent offensive outing from the Gators.  All that matters is that we win, no matter how small the margin.  My prediction would be more like 17-14.

• GatorUrf10 and gator67 like this

#18 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

And such an under reaction from you. McElwain was hired to fix the offense. If this season shows us more of the same garbage on offense we've seen for nearly the past decade, then LOF's reactions are completely valid.

Well I completely disagree with your reaction to my reaction to LoFs reaction.    :-)

LoF is talking about demotions and firing the OC after ONE game. You are talking about making changes after a SEASON. 

You I can agree with. LoF, not so much. 

But  either way, even if this year is the same as last year, Mac is not getting fired. The OC, sure, but not Mac. Its not like we are going 6 - 4. We are winning and on the right path. What did we have when Mac arrived? Four O lineman on scholarship? A tattered offensive reputation with HS recruits. Mac is changing that perception. Kids are buying in to what he is selling. 

I, for one, have the preseason optimism that the O is going to be much improved this year. 

#19 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:26 AM

I also was optimistic about the offense last year, and the year before that. I've said from the beginning, though, that in his third year when he has his players and experience in his scheme, the offense should be making real strides. 

Seeing is believing and we can't settle for less at this point. I think Mac is thinking the same thing, but he seems confident in how he guys will rise to that task so I'm confident too.

• gator67 likes this

#20 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

I would take a close win as Mtn2top suggests, but I fear that is the kind of game Michigan would win.

The Gators should take the ball if they win the toss and, call plays that exploit Michigan's weaknesses and inexperience. McElwain should attack Michigan from the start like he did against us in the SEC championship game in 2009.

Even if the game is close I want the announcers to acknowledge that the Gators are the aggressors. I think Mac wants the change too.

• Lawrence of Florida likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users