• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

Went to UF at same time. Remember his red charger in front of Tigert running, double parked for his registering for semester while we had to wait in line. Spoils of the famous!  He was an underrated QB, and one heck of a competitor. RIP my fellow classmate!

#2 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

RIP

#3 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

I met Reaves after a church service in Lakeland sometime in the Summer of 1988. We had a game of catch for about 20 minutes. At that time he seemed to be a very humble person - like a big kid. His wife jokingly mentioned that she would like him "to be a preacher man".

I don't remember much of our conversation while we were throwing the ball. I  remember asking him about Alvarez. John said Carlos could be difficult sometimes.

He died way to young. R.I.P. 

I think this year's team can rival his '69 team.

#4 dfwgator

dfwgator

True Gator

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

He was fun to watch when he played for the Tampa Bay Bandits under Spurrier.

#5 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

Growing up in rural Florida, we listened on the radio when Spurrier played.  My first live Gator game was in '69 with Reaves as the starter against Houston. 

Our HS football coach brought ten or so of us to the cheap seats of the south end zone. All we talked about was the passing yards and Reaves.  I also got to attend the Gator Bowl that season to see  Ray Graves' Super Sophs get the victory over Doug Dickey and Tennessee.  It's understandable that John Reaves would always be one of my favorite Gator players.

Spurrier knew how to use him with the Bandits.  That was the lab for the Gator quarterbacks and offenses to come.  I went to a couple games of the '84 season and saw him in his prime. 

Rest in peace John Reaves.  Thank you for all the Gator memories

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users