• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:00 AM

After the de-commitment of CJ Smith, the Gators were down to number 58 in the recruiting rankings.... in one short week, we've jumped up to #9 with the addition of Thornton last night.

This seems like the shift in recruiting trends that I've been waiting for since Mac arrived. The Gator brand had never been in a worse place when Muschamp left and I knew it would take some time to get things rolling like with Meyer and co. but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly this staff has turned things around. That can't be said enough because despite my optimistic position towards this staff, I would be the first to admit that our recruiting efforts have been sub-par the last few years. Not terrible, but not great either. I believe this was mainly due to the negative perception of UF football. The only way to get out of a rut like that is to either hire a coach with shady recruiting tactics, or be patient and put a solid product onto the field. We did the latter, while Mac hasn't had the great offense we expected from him yet posters like 2222 have shown us over and over all we've needed was a QB and a decent Oline. The scheme has been good, just not executed. 

Corral has the biggest arm of this class and great mobility and I think as long as he doesn't screw up, he could be the guy to change the culture of UF Football back to the way it was. With the facilities catching up and our offense primed to have a better season, it's just going to get better. 

Congrats Mac and staff for being patient and getting the right guys. 

• mtn2top, Gator2222, gator67 and 1 other like this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#2 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

Mac is putting the puzzle together. 

• vulcan_alex and GatorUrf10 like this

#3 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

Still too early for me to get excited about recruiting but I am loving where it's going. Im giving Mac four years to show me what he is made of. Once we start dominating teams like Kentucky and vandy and can compete with Alabama on the field then I will say with confidence that he is the right man for the job. I think anyone who is confident that he is the right guy here or anyone who is confident that he isn't are both getting ahead of themselves.

But, it is great to see some recruiting hype on the offensive end...its been too long since we've had any.
  • GatorUrf10 likes this

#4 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

I completely agree with the wait-and-see stance, as well as giving Mac a four-year window of opportunity. At the same time, I think the trends we see now (as well as the sorts of improvements in the offense indicated by GatorUrf10) are reasons to be somewhat optimistic. I hope that this will be the year that the Gators can truly stand toe-to-toe with the likes of FSU and Alabama. It would not surprise me if this turns out to be the case. Mac has been exuding a quiet confidence, which bodes well, I believe.

• mtn2top, Gator2222 and GatorUrf10 like this

#5 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

Still too early for me to get excited about recruiting but I am loving where it's going. Im giving Mac four years to show me what he is made of. Once we start dominating teams like Kentucky and vandy and can compete with Alabama on the field then I will say with confidence that he is the right man for the job. I think anyone who is confident that he is the right guy here or anyone who is confident that he isn't are both getting ahead of themselves.

But, it is great to see some recruiting hype on the offensive end...its been too long since we've had any.

I agree. This isn't so much an endorsement of Mac as a football coach, but Mac and co. as playing the long game in terms of trends. With our position post-Muschamp (not having any offense, losing games we shouldn't, winning games despite a myriad of issues, leaving Mac with 4 scholarship linemen, stench of arrests still lingering from Meyer and co.) our coaching staff could have easily been quick to pressure top recruits and that, IMO, would make things worse. They stayed calm, built relationships and didn't pressure them and kept pushing a consistent message which, in the long term, will serve us very well. Most recruits talk about how they love the vibe of the UF coaching staff as they are calm and talk to kids about life and don't pressure commitments. In terms of getting excited about recruiting, I mean, can you really ever get excited about it? I'm talking about even after they sign, there's still so much to prove, but these recent pledges are showing that the perception of UF Football has changed.

I did mention that Mac's scheme has been good and I stand by that, but it's not just the talent that needs to execute, the coaches need to give them the confidence to go out and get it done. This coaching staff still has a lot to prove but I think these last few months they've proven that they have a plan. Also, the hiring of Davis, Bell, ad Seider can't be overlooked. It seems Seider and Skipper have done the most work on the trail for us. Davis is one of the top up and coming recruiters in the country. 

• gator_tom likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#6 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Good post gatorurf

#7 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Good post, Urf. 

I want to get where you are mentally and was starting to come around. I find that I still have some reservations about the staff, but I'm not going to make a huge issue out of it at this point. I've decided I'm just going to sit back and evaluate this season as it comes. Although Werner is open to giving Mac 4 years to prove himself, I think we're actually going to have a pretty good idea of what we've got as this season plays out. 

#8 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Good stuff Urf10. 

I agree. This isn't so much an endorsement of Mac as a football coach, but Mac and co. as playing the long game in terms of trends. With our position post-Muschamp (not having any offense, losing games we shouldn't, winning games despite a myriad of issues, leaving Mac with 4 scholarship linemen, stench of arrests still lingering from Meyer and co.) our coaching staff could have easily been quick to pressure top recruits and that, IMO, would make things worse. They stayed calm, built relationships and didn't pressure them and kept pushing a consistent message which, in the long term, will serve us very well. Most recruits talk about how they love the vibe of the UF coaching staff as they are calm and talk to kids about life and don't pressure commitments. In terms of getting excited about recruiting, I mean, can you really ever get excited about it? I'm talking about even after they sign, there's still so much to prove, but these recent pledges are showing that the perception of UF Football has changed.

I did mention that Mac's scheme has been good and I stand by that, but it's not just the talent that needs to execute, the coaches need to give them the confidence to go out and get it done. This coaching staff still has a lot to prove but I think these last few months they've proven that they have a plan. Also, the hiring of Davis, Bell, ad Seider can't be overlooked. It seems Seider and Skipper have done the most work on the trail for us. Davis is one of the top up and coming recruiters in the country. 

#9 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Good post, Urf. 

I want to get where you are mentally and was starting to come around. I find that I still have some reservations about the staff, but I'm not going to make a huge issue out of it at this point. I've decided I'm just going to sit back and evaluate this season as it comes. Although Werner is open to giving Mac 4 years to prove himself, I think we're actually going to have a pretty good idea of what we've got as this season plays out. 

I agree with this as well. 

I haven't completely come around on this staff. We need to get in the top 50 (or hell, 100 for that matter) in offensive production before we can even talk about this staff being here long term. I think Mac gets 4 years at the very least because of the East titles but the staff still has to show improvement on the field and to show future coaches that UF will stick with coaches.

I think that's a big deal because there are coaches who will not consider certain jobs because they don't want a fickle AD if thy are going to uproot their lives and move. 

But, yes, year 3 is always the year in which a coach is to be judged. The oline is supposed to be a team strength and we have talent at QB, a proven RB and WRs, so there aren't anymore excuses offensively. This year they need to show us what a McElwain football team looks like and I think moving forward that will be huge. If we are still a sub top 100 offense, Nuss needs to go. 

• Lawrence of Florida likes this

#10 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

This year they need to show us what a McElwain football team looks like and I think moving forward that will be huge. If we are still a sub top 100 offense, Nuss needs to go. 

Yeah, I definitely agree. 

#11 jdh5484

jdh5484

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

giphy.gif

• jdh5484, OldGatorAlum and Gator2222 like this
We made a mistake with the extension, this guy deserves to be gone before more damage is done, but we just can't afford it, so hold on to your hats and try to be positive.
Wooble

#12 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

Should we be surprised by Mac's recruiting because of this week?

Two recruiting classes ago, he signed 25 kids and 12 were EE. That was a great class, covering all of our needs.

I love the team he is building.

• mtn2top and Gator2222 like this

#13 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:05 AM

Should we be surprised by Mac's recruiting because of this week?

Two recruiting classes ago, he signed 25 kids and 12 were EE. That was a great class, covering all of our needs.

I love the team he is building.

I think he's shown that he has the ability, the kids just needed to come around and start listening to his message. Seems they have. 

#14 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

Mac was able to close quickly on kids in the past for UF. He was also making relationships with kids and coaches and schools for long term success. We are starting to see results. 

I like the direction we are heading. 

• Gator2222 likes this

#15 jdh5484

jdh5484

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

giphy.gif

We made a mistake with the extension, this guy deserves to be gone before more damage is done, but we just can't afford it, so hold on to your hats and try to be positive.
Wooble

#16 JHCRANE-14

JHCRANE-14

All Vol

• Members
  • 835 posts
  • LocationThe sunny beaches of South Florida and the hilltops of Tennessee!!!

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Guess you can say he..."jumped the shark"
"HEY, SAVE ME SOME!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users