#41 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hey, look how good of a kid he was before he de-committed from USCw 

http://www.wearesc.c...-oaks-christian

lol. Apparently the football players at Oaks HS support Corral over Gretsky and say he has no character issues at all. 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#42 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

I mean, not to get too far afield, but let's be honest: the Gretzky's have had their own battles with cocaine, as well. Who can forget Dustin Johnson's struggles with the substance - ultimately resulting in a several month sabbatical from the PGA Tour? He's married to Paulina. Tristan also plays on the golf team, for what it's worth, so he would've likely interacted with his brother-in-law Dustin in hopes of getting help with his swing and various pro tips. The dispute between Corral and Tristan Gretzky could have very well been a coke deal gone south. Just a theory. 

Bottom line, though, is that Corral is not "the guy"....he's "a guy." His signing would have been considered a success in a gap year when we had already signed a guy like Fields a year or two prior. 

I think there are also concerns about a west coast QB coming to play in the SEC. Typically, they haven't experienced the type of defensive line play that is featured in the dirty south. I think this is why when you look at a lot of the national champion QB's lately, they developed their games playing southern style football: Watson, Coker, Winston, McCarron, etc. Fields falls more in line with that succession...Corral would be an outlier. Look at what happened to the west coast QB's who tried to hone their craft at Alabama, for example: Blake Barnett, from San Marcos, CA, transferred to Arizona State, Cooper Bateman, from SLC, UT, transferred to Utah. Now, they have Tua in there from Hawaii and he's having a hard time beating out Hurts, from dirty Texas, even though Hurts can't even make all the throws. Pretty obvious that playing against monster DT's pays dividends. There's just something unique about that southern, defensive line-oriented style of football and not all QB's are suited for it, even if they ultimately go on to have opportunities in the NFL. The SEC is very unique and it takes a certain skill set to navigate it at that position, I think is what we've learned.

Not getting Fields just seems like a huge punch to our gut after a lot of us started to believe things were different. I'm really not pleased with this, to be honest. 

#43 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

can't help but crack up at "we" and "our"

#44 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

I mean, not to get too far afield, but let's be honest: the Gretzky's have had their own battles with cocaine, as well. Who can forget Dustin Johnson's struggles with the substance - ultimately resulting in a several month sabbatical from the PGA Tour? He's married to Paulina. Tristan also plays on the golf team, for what it's worth, so he would've likely interacted with his brother-in-law Dustin in hopes of getting help with his swing and various pro tips. The dispute between Corral and Tristan Gretzky could have very well been a coke deal gone south. Just a theory. 

Dude, theorizing about HS kids doing coke isn't a good look. 

There is no evidence of that happening. If you were able to reproduce, you would have a huge problem with someone saying your kid is a coke-head. You have no information supporting this 'theory,' so let it go.

More digging has found that the fight was over a girl. What an INSANE thing to fight about in HS, never seen that before.......

If you're disappointed about Fields, that's okay. Just don't go and **** on some other kid. And yes, he's THE guy, I would have wanted him if I had known his commitment to USCw was wavering. 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#45 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Not getting Fields just seems like a huge punch to our gut after a lot of us started to believe things were different. I'm really not pleased with this, to be honest. 

A month ago you didn't even know who Fields was. Don't act like this has ruined your day.

Watch Corral tape, you'll feel better. 

#46 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Dude, theorizing about HS kids doing coke isn't a good look. 

There is no evidence of that happening. If you were able to reproduce, you would have a huge problem with someone saying your kid is a coke-head. You have no information supporting this 'theory,' so let it go.

More digging has found that the fight was over a girl. What an INSANE thing to fight about in HS, never seen that before.......

If you're disappointed about Fields, that's okay. Just don't go and **** on some other kid. And yes, he's THE guy, I would have wanted him if I had known his commitment to USCw was wavering. 

True. It's just that there was some discussion of it floating around the comments section of the ESPN article. Read Ca Dietz's posts. 

#47 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

True. It's just that there was some discussion of it floating around the comments section of the ESPN article. Read Ca Dietz's posts. 

Go to my USC board link. A guy called USC_Dentist knows Corrals dad and spoke with him personally after both incidents. 

Ca Dietz could be a 12 year old for all I know, never trust ESPN comments. It's just a bunch of pissed of fans 

#48 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

A month ago you didn't even know who Fields was. Don't act like this has ruined your day.

Watch Corral tape, you'll feel better. 

You're right, but Fields was being discussed as the next Jameis Winston. Corral is just a really good west coast QB - a subset that hasn't had a ton of success at SEC programs. 

I just feel like Fields is the better option for us. He has that Jameis-type charisma and really could've put our program back on the map.

#49 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

You're right, but Fields was being discussed as the next Jameis Winston. Corral is just a really good west coast QB - a subset that hasn't had a ton of success at SEC programs. 

I just feel like Fields is the better option for us. He has that Jameis-type charisma and really could've put our program back on the map.

Maybe, maybe not. 

Time will tell. You, above all, should be happy as hell about this. This kid is legit and higher ranked than Tebow and Newton. Remember, Rivals considers character/academics with rating. (See Lemons and Robinson)

#50 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

I am sorry - but you sir are a troll. You just make crap up in your desire to trash the Gators. 

#51 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

National News - https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/07/23/matt-corral-florida-commitment-malik-zaire-fleipe-franks

Good article. 

This is a huge get for the Gators,

• mtn2top likes this

#52 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

I mean....

Corral definitely will not have a LeBron-sized impact on the Gators. He is not the best prospect in the country, or even the best one at his position, and it is impossible to say how his ability will translate at the college level. There are questions. There is uncertainty.

The author is basically saying that, although he's a good prospect, he's not the big-time splash that Fields would have been. 

Like I wrote earlier, it's hard not to feel like Corral is a consolation.

#53 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

I mean.....

Corral is one of the most highly touted quarterback prospects in the rising senior class, with the size, the arm and the toughness to develop into a high-level starter in the SEC. He is also a scarce resource: Only three other QBs in the top 40 of Scout.com’s position rankings remain uncommitted, and one of them is effectively a 2020 prospect because he plans to serve a two-year LDS mission. Corral’s addition amounts to a recruiting shot in the arm that could lead to the Gators signing their best class yet under third-year head coach Jim McElwain, and he might be ready to compete for playing time as a true freshman after Notre Dame graduate transfer Malik Zaire departs next off-season.

The article is basically saying the kid is a stud. 

Like I wrote earlier, talented kid, big arm, great get.

• mtn2top likes this

#54 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Justin Fields

6'2"   205  lb

dual threat QB

Matt Corral

6'2"   196  lb

Pocket passer

They are both about the same size. When you look at Fields, he is the same size as Grier was when he played here. That is not a DT QB size.

Watching the video on Corral, he has some wheels. He won't win many games running the ball but the is why we have Toney. According to Andrew Spivey, Toney has packed on some muscle.

#55 Jack O' Diamonds

Jack O' Diamonds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

As there are a ton of articles, and a ton of "experts" out there, you may go through them and pick whatever author supports your particular point of view. For the past 2 years Corral has been rated as the second best pocket passer in his class. Fields may be more athletic, but is not as polished in the pro style offense as Corral. Fields got the most play because he decommitted before Corral, and his home is much closer to Gainesville. No one really expected Corral to be looking this far from home. 

As far as the off the field issues, the problems with Gretzky's kid may not have been him. Gretzky himself tends to be a little arrogant, and that can be passed on to his kids. Additionally, opinion generally sides with money. You see it every day. I'd just wait  and see what happens.  We can't go wrong with either one of these young men IMHO.

• mtn2top and gator_tom like this

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...

#56 GatorShea

GatorShea

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

The Gators could sign every 5 star in the nation and LOF would show up and bit ch about it.

• mtn2top, Wuerffel4Pres and gator_tom like this

#57 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

no signs of slowing down - 

http://recruiting.bl...yquan-thornton/

that's what getting a top QB will do for you

• mtn2top likes this

#58 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

Spin it how you like, we got a hell of a QB in the 2018 class with Corral. 

I like the way he saw the opportunity at UF and pulled the trigger on the commitment. I'd much rather have a QB that wants to be a Gator, now and not play games with different schools until NSD.

Corral's behavior reflects a team approach, shows leadership and influences other talented recruits.  Go Gators!

• Homer J and gator_tom like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users