• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

I just think it's a letdown after all the Fields hype. 

While this Corral kid may be highly thought of, as well, he's not Fields. He's also rumored to be somewhat of a malcontent with a cocaine problem. That's not going to fly in Gainesville, where coke is a lot harder to come by than L.A. and the local authorities watch the football players like hawks. 

The failure to land Fields is a major blow (pun intended, for Corral) to the narrative of this staff's improved recruiting abilities. I was trying to be optimistic about it, but this really makes me question some things again. 

#22 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

rumored

Key word, LOF. No proof of this anywhere. Kid got in one fight with one of Gretzky's kids, and leaves the school because of the consequential drama that followed. Everything else since has been speculation, possibly for the sole purposes of bashing the kid. Some pundits have compared the two and actually think he looks like a better QB than Fields.

Let's just wait to judge, okay,?

#23 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

I just think it's a letdown after all the Fields hype. 

While this Corral kid may be highly thought of, as well, he's not Fields. He's also rumored to be somewhat of a malcontent with a cocaine problem. That's not going to fly in Gainesville, where coke is a lot harder to come by than L.A. and the local authorities watch the football players like hawks. 

The failure to land Fields is a major blow (pun intended, for Corral) to the narrative of this staff's improved recruiting abilities. I was trying to be optimistic about it, but this really makes me question some things again. 

Yeah, I tend to think your true colors are showing.

Apparently the euphoria you supposedly experienced as the Gators were rolling thru the best college baseball teams in the country on the way to a championship has worn off.

Noles will be crying in their Zimas over that one for years to come.

#24 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

The efforts to spin this as a negative are too ridiculous to spend any time in response. They simply show that some have an ax to grind and will find some way to do it, even if that way is laughable. In some cases it is trolling and in others it seems to come from a deep-seated, irrational dislike of Mac. Let's see how they can dismiss the new commitment from a 4-star wide receiver, Ja'Marr Chase. I'm sure some will find a way. Oh, and he must sign before it's official (in case your confused about this)!

• Wuerffel4Pres likes this

#25 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

A lot of work went into the recruiting haul we are raking in right now, peaking with Friday Night Lights.  Great job by Coach Mac and staff with more positive news and developments yet to come.

#26 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Let's see how they can dismiss the new commitment from a 4-star wide receiver, Ja'Marr Chase. I'm sure some will find a way. 

Well, for starters, what about the hype for Copeland? 

We get hyped for Fields...we get Corral. 

We get hyped for Copeland...we get Chase. 

These aren't bad players, by any stretch, but are they "the guys" at each respective position? If we're going to ever take that next step back into the elite circles again, we've got to start getting "the guys"....not "just guys," as Billy Donovan used to say. 

#27 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

The only reason people got hyped for Fields was because it sounded like he was interested in us. Corral was an afterthought not because of his abilities, but because no one initially thought he was ever even considering us. If the roles were reversed, and if we all thought Corral was interested in UF from day one, you'd be pretty happy right now.

#28 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

The only reason people got hyped for Fields was because it sounded like he was interested in us. Corral was an afterthought not because of his abilities, but because no one initially thought he was ever even considering us. If the roles were reversed, and if we all thought Corral was interested in UF from day one, you'd be pretty happy right now.

No, I'd argue there's a distinction. 

Corral was essentially being recruited by those other programs as an auxiliary option to come in behind the established guns they already had in place. USC-Darnold, Bama-Tua/Hurts, UGA-Eason. He was a good QB that they hoped to develop as a gap-filler behind "the guy," but he was never really considered "the guy." 

Fields, on the other hand, was discussed as being the next Jameis Winston. A QB who comes in and immediately establishes whichever program he's at as a national contender. 

Instead of fighting it out with the other big boys for Fields (which I'm sure costs more), we foolishly attempted to make them play chicken with each other to force an early commitment. Corral, the lesser talent, obviously blinked first...he knew Fields was in it for the long haul and willing to ride out the process until the end. It's a shame we weren't committed to ride it out, as well.

#29 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:08 PM

The lesser talent? HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

You're a piece of work, LOF.

#30 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

The lessor talent? HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

You're a piece of work, LOF.

I know they're both highly ranked, but he is. 

We, as Gator fans, should know more than most programs that, even at the 5 star level, there's still a big gap between "just guys" and "THE guy." Brantley, Driskel, etc. Our issue hasn't been attracting talent, it's been missing on the transformational talent on which so many of our rivals have been hitting. It would be okay if we were a Big 12, Pac 12 program, but we can't afford it considering we have to beat FSU and the best of the SEC West to contend for the national title. 

Fields was that transformational talent. Corral is just a guy...with a rumored drug problem and a horrible attitude. It's very difficult to get excited about these latest developments. 

We'll miss on Copeland, too, by the way. Look at the commitment by Chase. Same exact story, only at WR instead of QB. 

I'm willing to see how the season plays out, but I'll just say I'm back to being highly skeptical of Mac's future here. 

#31 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

The efforts to spin this as a negative are too ridiculous to spend any time in response. They simply show that some have an ax to grind and will find some way to do it, even if that way is laughable. In some cases it is trolling and in others it seems to come from a deep-seated, irrational dislike of Mac. Let's see how they can dismiss the new commitment from a 4-star wide receiver, Ja'Marr Chase. I'm sure some will find a way. Oh, and he must sign before it's official (in case your confused about this)!

Spot on. Some people will complain about a beautiful sunny day at the beach. Not worth the effort to respond. 

#32 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

Matt Corral = Rex Grossman

He has that same moxy about him. Some will call it a gunslinger mentality, I like to look at it as confidence.

Now, let's see what kind of a recruiter he is. Hopefully, he can bring in some talent to surround himself with. He has a high ranking WR on his HS team.

#33 Homer J

Homer J

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

No, I'd argue there's a distinction. 

Corral was essentially being recruited by those other programs as an auxiliary option to come in behind the established guns they already had in place. USC-Darnold, Bama-Tua/Hurts, UGA-Eason. He was a good QB that they hoped to develop as a gap-filler behind "the guy," but he was never really considered "the guy." 

Fields, on the other hand, was discussed as being the next Jameis Winston. A QB who comes in and immediately establishes whichever program he's at as a national contender. 

Instead of fighting it out with the other big boys for Fields (which I'm sure costs more), we foolishly attempted to make them play chicken with each other to force an early commitment. Corral, the lesser talent, obviously blinked first...he knew Fields was in it for the long haul and willing to ride out the process until the end. It's a shame we weren't committed to ride it out, as well.

canething always being canething

#34 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

Corral is every bit the passer Fields is and on most sites in the #1 pro style passer in this class. Fields is right up there with him and only a bit more mobile really. Corral has great quickness, and after watching him, I haven't seen a HS QB move that well in the pocket.... ever.

We couldn't just wait for Fields. I don't think us signing Corral is any indication of Fields level of interest. Bc of fans like LoF, UF could not afford to miss on both of these guys. We needed one, and now we got one.

All the rumors about cocaine use are unsubstantiated. And HS being the way it is, the kid might have tried it at a party for all we know. There is no concrete evidence to support this. Also, with the personality problems- He gets along with EVERY ONE. The mass of tweets at him from young and old wishing him well after his commitment is definitely telling that people that have met him liked him. Trevor Lawrence's mom even tweeted at him wishing him luck and the feelings seemed genuine and warm.

This kid is the highest rated recruit we've gotten at QB ever. If Fields couldn't see what he was missing over the last month, I'd rather give his spot to a kid who is just as talented but who is dying to be a Gator!

Can you imagine if we waited for Fields, and he ended up at f$u, and Corral cooled on us after visiting ugaly and signed with them??? I'd be livid.

This is great news, this kid is a program changer (and a recruitment changer) in every way. 

We're good Larry. Watch his tape. The kid is ready. 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#35 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

BTW, Corral didn't have his scholly pulled from USCw. 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#36 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

BTW, Corral didn't have his scholly pulled from USCw. 

all of that stuff is more than likely bs, started by ignorant fans of teams who didn't get him or he had no interest in

that's how it works, and only those who have some sort of an agenda would buy into it

I'm sure LOF is just trying to set himself up for his next troll if Fields happens to decide on the Noles

#37 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

good article - 

http://247sports.com...ators-105380089

#38 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

I've been searching the internet for anything about his character issues and cocaine use.

Guess where all of this info is coming from? USCw message boards. They say that he was expelled on a three strike rule from his old HS and he is known for using coke.

NONE of this is substantiated. Hell, even a group of USCw posters showed up and said that is was all BS. These guys said his grades and behavior were perfect, and that this fight was the first issue he ever had. He fought a Gretsky kid, who apparently is a rich-kid ******, while Corral comes from a middle class family. All indications are that what caused their dust up. 

247 Sports is the only outlet that reported about the '3 strike' rule at his HS, and 247 has been known to publish just about anything. I don't even visit that site anymore. So much crap and unreliable rankings. Rivals is the only reputable source IMO. Anyways, if you don't believe me, ask Andrew Spivey, or merely look at his twitter feed from the last few days. 

• Wuerffel4Pres likes this

#39 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Notice in this article how they didn't mention any off the field issues.

#40 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

Reputable news source on the altercation.... and holy ****, a quote about it!!

http://usatodayhss.c...long-beach-poly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users