• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 ccnabors

ccnabors

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

QB Matt Corral has committed to Florida. Dominoes starting to fall in place!

#2 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

Woooooo!!!

Copeland and Barnes next!!

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#3 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

Is he the program-changer that Fields is, though? 

Although he's a 5 star, this feels like a letdown after all the hype about Fields. 

#4 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:33 PM

After watching his film, I'm happy we got Corral.  If Spurrier had Corral back in the day there would be another statue in front of the stadium.

#5 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

Is he the program-changer that Fields is, though?

Although he's a 5 star, this feels like a letdown after all the hype about Fields.

He's the highest rated QB ever to commit to UF.

Does that make you feel better?

Go Gators.

#6 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

What great news!  Considering the players we have now, there are no concerns for the QB position at Florida. It's been a while since we could say that in Gainesville.

Corral is the prototypical QB to run Coach Mac's system. Very positive development for the future and direction of this program. 

#7 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

I was locked on Fields but after doing research on Corral he and Fields have been 1A and 1B behind Trevor Lawrence. Now most people have them both ranked above Lawrence. Corral is a game changer, same as Fields. Kid has a cannon and is ready to step in asap.

I've heard there may be some character issues but most of that has been straightened out since he changed HS a year ago.

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#8 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hopefully he sticks with his commitment since he didn't with usc. I'm going to hold off on being too excited until papers are signed. Hope he's not a drama queen

#9 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

I don't know. 

It's just that everything was "Fields, Fields, Fields." He de-committed from PSU and the door seemed wide open for us to finally lock down the transformative talent we've needed at QB. Then, Alabama, FSU, and a couple others got involved, and we immediately began to fade. Something just seems off about that to me. 

Now, we've got this kid Corral who, on the surface, seems like a nice consolation. That said, he's from the west coast and maybe hasn't faced the same level of competition in high school that one sees in the south. 

#10 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

This is from Ca Dietz in the comment section of the ESPN article: 

An "Elite" QB who had to transfer out of his HS bc of a fight? This is the same kid that his coaches and teammates could not stand. The same kid that USC took his offer and commitment off the table. The same kid that EVERY. OTHER. BIG. TIME school turned a cold shoulder too. Hmmmmm, seems like the gators are once again accepting classy people. Heard he has a problem with the white powder already!

#11 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Big arm. Great talent. Huge commitment.

Go Gators!

#12 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

I don't understand why Corral is being billed as the highest ranked QB recruit in Florida history? 

Wasn't Brock Berlin the #1 QB prospect in the country when he signed with us? 

#13 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

I will believe it when the fax machine spits out his paperwork.  Until then it is just a verbal, it means something but not that much.   I would hope that others might follow.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#14 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

This is from Ca Dietz in the comment section of the ESPN article: 

yeah, that's how recruiting goes in college in case you haven't noticed

that's for people who just aren't satisfied with the "we didn't want" him" excuses

#15 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

I don't understand why Corral is being billed as the highest ranked QB recruit in Florida history?

Wasn't Brock Berlin the #1 QB prospect in the country when he signed with us?

True, but that's around the time before the recruiting rankings that exist now.

P.S. F--k Brock Berlin.

#16 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

Let's step back and take a really deep breath before we take one of the recruiting trophies from tennessee. I could probably come up with at least a half dozen QBs that were ranked just as high as Corral. Most of them didn't amount to squat and would up transferring to avoid competition.  Can I mention Brock Berlin and that hot shop QB from California with the domineering mommy that went on a transfer rampage to about 4-5 schools before fading into the woodwork? I also recall a big time QB from Maryland that made a flash appearance on campus before the coaches found out he was tripe instead of filet mignon.  I'm not going to bother looking them up on line but they're there. Let's let Corral actually be on the team before we hail him as the 2nd coming of Tebow. LET THE MELTDOWN BEGIN!

#17 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

I don' think anyone is hailing him as the second coming of anyone.  I also see no reason not to be excited, for lack of a better word, that our recruiting is beginning to really step it up.  Recruiting is huge, I really don't see any debate on that.  Momentum is huge, and we seem to have it right now, and a commitment like this typically only adds to the momentum.

We've all seen busts, but we've also all seen top recruits come in and perform like top recruits.  All we can do is try to get them and be happy when we do.  The rest is up to coaching, which we all know as well.

• Wuerffel4Pres, gator67 and gator_tom like this

#18 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

I don' think anyone is hailing him as the second coming of anyone. I also see no reason not to be excited, for lack of a better word, that our recruiting is beginning to really step it up. Recruiting is huge, I really don't see any debate on that. Momentum is huge, and we seem to have it right now, and a commitment like this typically only adds to the momentum.

We've all seen busts, but we've also all seen top recruits and come in and perform like top recruits. All we can do is try to get them and be happy when we do. The rest is up to coaching, which we all know as well.

Thank you. This is what I've been feeling. Heck, the kid could even decommit. Like others have said, I'm not super excited until he actually signs with us.

But having said that, why do people have to poop on the good vibes parade we've got going on now?

Here's a 5-star, top 10 recruit, stud QB finally committing to us. This. Is. A . Big. Deal.

It speaks to all following Florida football. It says that things are heading in the right direction. Recruiting is getting better. Assistant coaching is improving. And a guy like this pledging his allegiance to our beloved Gators will only cause other big time recruits to follow. Have you seen the OL guys that are now strongly considering UF?

Momentum is a big deal, guys. Let's enjoy this moment.

Life is tough enough. Let's not be Debbie Downer until facts give us reason to.

Go Gators.
  • gator67 and gator_tom like this

#19 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

I have read many comments (not so much on this site) about Mac's inability to recruit players who are high on the recruiting boards' lists. They reflect a strong conviction in some quarters that the man cannot recruit. Now we hear some who tend to dismiss the significance of this commitment because he might turn out to be a bust. Sounds like a lose-lose situation for Mac.

Of course he could turn out to be less than advertised. The same is true for every single recruit that a school signs. But that is not a reason to dismiss the significance of this development -- unless some would rather Mac went after those who are less highly regarded. In other words, there's an odd logic at work here.

• Wuerffel4Pres, GatorUrf10 and gator_tom like this

#20 g8torhed

g8torhed

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

He must sign the paper!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users