• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:59 PM

....then maybe you're just a lot younger than me, lol.

But seriously, I can't tell you how happy I was to stumble upon this clip: 

Gator Band 1986 Playing in the Stands

Was there anything better than heading into the stadium about an hour before kickoff, grabbing a Lykes hot dog and an ice cold coke, and listening to the Pride of the Sunshine crank this up as the players poured onto the field for warm-ups; orange helmets glistening in the sun?

Some of the young guns on here might not realize it, but we used to have a real band back in the day. Lots of brass and a real sharp sound. Unfortunately, I think that director left to go to LSU and we've never really been the same since, in my opinion. 

I say we start a movement: 

1.) More brass in the band.

2.) Move the band back up above the 50 yd line....the student organizations who own those blocks today clearly don't appreciate them, as they can't seem to get to their seats on time. 

3.) Make "On Broadway" a staple of pre-game warm-ups again. 

#2 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:37 PM

We still have a "real band" at UF.  These kids can hold their own with the best of past bands.  More kids start earlier and play at higher level by college than ever before.

Makes me think of a past Seminole poster on here, Muncie, now deceased, who was a Florida high school band instructor.  He was once a member of the Marching Chiefs and posted intelligent threads about our bands.  He had respect for the Pride of the Sunshine and all the work they put in as Gators to do the halftime shows at such a high level.

#3 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

We still have a "real band" at UF.  These kids can hold their own with the best of past bands.  More kids start earlier and play at higher level by college than ever before.

Makes me think of a past Seminole poster on here, Muncie, now deceased, who was a Florida high school band instructor.  He was once a member of the Marching Chiefs and posted intelligent threads about our bands.  He had respect for the Pride of the Sunshine and all the work they put in as Gators to do the halftime shows at such a high level.

He might have been a band instructor in Florida, but he lived (and died) in Muncie Indiana.  I lived there a couple of years, and we went to high school close by as well.  He was a great poster, but band was his thing, and he was a Nole.  Not a dopey Nole.

• mtn2top likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#4 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Muncie was good people. 

• vulcan_alex likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#5 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Our band is a so-so band. They take it more seriously and are a little better than they were in the early 2000s...but they are still nothing to write home about. They aren't as good as the marching chiefs or the lsu band but, like I said... They are better than they use to be.

One of my best friends tells me that when she was in the sunshine band in the early 2000s that there was a guy everybody knew who somehow had a band uniform from when he used to be in band... But that he had graduated from UF and was no longer in the band. She told me that he would show up to all of the big games in his uniform and walk in with them, and that he would just pluck himself between two trumpets on the field and pretend like he was playing. They never did that many sudden formation changes then so apparently it was pretty easy, and the director at the time (I believe the director at the time was a percussionist in his background, which explains his laid-back attitude) apparently liked the guy a lot so he didn't care.

I always thought that was a perfect story for how little our band really cared back then. She also told me that some band members would load up camelbacks with liquor under their uniforms. The Camelback story was one I heard from multiple sunshine band members. Anyway, if u are wondering about how I have so many band nerd sources... I grew up in Gainesville and was in high school band all four years so I knew a lot of the people who continued that into college. Proud former band nerd here.

Take those stories for what they are worth, but this friend of mine also ended up going to seminary school and is probably the most pure, kind soul I know so it's kind of hard for me not to believe her. Always good to see a band thread to take me back in time...I haven't thought about those stories for years.
  • vulcan_alex and mtn2top like this

#6 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

I wonder if some of Muncie's posts still exist on this site?

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#7 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

The family email notifying us of his passing may still be on here somewhere....  He posted on here for many, many years.

• vulcan_alex likes this

#8 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Our current band has some bright spots, don't get me wrong. Their rendition of "Call Me Al" is the best of any band I've heard and I feel like that's sort of become our "Hang On Sloopy" (Ohio State, for those that aren't familiar with that tradition). 

Unfortunately, we don't offer scholarships for our band members because we don't have a formal school of music. This is why we're probably never going to be the Marching Chiefs. That said, there are some things we can do to improve our performance, in my opinion. As I alluded to above, the former band director we had back in the 80's/early 90's, who I think eventually went to LSU, was big on brass. I'm told that, after he left, the new directors pivoted to more woodwinds and it changed our sound. I'm not a musician and have no band experience, so I don't really know the technicalities that those moves involve, but this is what I've been told by some people in the program. We do tend to get drowned out a lot by opposing bands now. Maybe we could bring back the more powerful instruments and move the band back to their 50 yard line position, which would project more to the alumni side? 

Anyway, I didn't mean for my OP to solely be a criticism of the current band. It was more just a reminiscence of the excitement of being in the stadium watching pre-game warm-ups when the old band would fire up "On Broadway." That song used to be a staple of the Gator Football pre-game experience. I know some folks prefer to extend their tailgate time as long as possible and not enter the stadium until the ball is basically being kicked off, but I've always been one of those types who like to get in the stadium roughly an hour before and hear the band play, watch warm-ups, and feel the excitement build. I guess we have a month and a half to go before we get to do it again!

#9 stephenpe55

stephenpe55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

Great find and I remember that piece well.   I liked it better when the band sat in the east stands.   They had a good sound then,   But our band is getting better with numbers. I think Frank Wicks was the guy that left for lsu. LSU always has a great sound.  I loved sitting on the curb at univ ave and 12th watching the band go by for the Homecoming Parade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users