• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:55 AM

In watching the LSU segment of today's SEC Media Days, I was reminded of Bill Arnsbarger.  Coach Arnsbarger only died a few years ago. He is someone that all Gator fans should know about - along with his major contribution to the success of all Florida sports.

Bill Arnsbarger came to UF from LSU as head coach in 1986 to become AD at Florida.  He brought UF out of some of our darkest hours after both major programs were sanctioned.  He hired Steve Spurrier and Lon Kruger, set up a state-of-the-art athletic department with more emphasis on compliance. The rest is history.  Foley took over the AD position in 1992 when Arnsbarger returned to coaching as the defensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers.  Three years later, Coach Arnsbarger's defense help get the Chargers to Super Bowl 29, his last season before retiring.

Perhaps it is all ancient history.  It's also Gator history.  The testy football scheduling interaction between UF and LSU this last season is a clear indication that relations have chilled considerably between the two schools since the Arnsbarger days. 

• Gator2222 likes this

#2 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:37 AM

I believe I was around 6 when Foley became AD so this is a pretty neat little piece of gator history that I was not aware of, until now. Thanks for posting.

#3 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

The contentious relationship between UF and LSU this past season was a point of questioning for Coach Mac during SEC Media Days. The questions began with UF designating the LSU game for homecoming this season.  

Coach Mac mentioned the significant loss of local revenue for the lost Gainesville game and the lack of emergency workers that weekend. He downplayed any friction between the two schools while noting no personal input in the homecoming decision.

I agree with Coach Mac. The epic recent wins, a football game in Baton Rouge last season and the College World Series in Omaha last month speak for themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users