• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

The new football season is stirring with SEC Media Days getting underway this week.

Interesting opening day featuring LSU, Arkansas and Tennessee with coaches Orgeron, Bielema and Jones. All three coaches are under more than the usual pressure this season to win. Jones is under the most pressure with a firing possible during this season if things start badly  Bielema is likely a season away.  Orgeron is still unpacking into the front office but knows he is on a shorter leash than Mike the tiger.

Same old coachspeak for the most part in the prepared remarks.  The SEC Network, its hosts, guests and all the assembled reporters provide a lot of good information about the teams and players.  

What a wild year for LSU, a school that was only a player or two away from winning the SEC in recent seasons.  It was a year ago that Les Miles was still head coach and speaking at this event. The Mad Hatter did not even talk about football for the first half of his comments.  It was about working with the community of Baton Rouge on natural disaster relief and improving relations with law enforcement. 

In the end, it is about winning above all else.  

#2 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:26 AM

We should know better than any other fanbase that winning is all that matters. Muschamp was a terrible coach but he did clean up most of the thug behavior that was infecting our teams with Meyer. He didn't clean up all of it but put us in the right direction. 

It's sad but that's just the way it is with college coaching these days. I can't feel bad for most of them, they make more money than most of us will but I do feel bad for the support staffs who move around on a moment's notice, just to take the same salary somewhere else.

I think Gator fans and analysts agreed at media days so far, if UF can find a QB, we're going to be very good. 

• vulcan_alex and Lawrence of Florida like this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#3 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

I've got to be honest, I'm finding it hard to care as much about Media Days and all the hype about the upcoming season as I have in the past. Don't get me wrong, I think this could be one of our more fulfilling seasons of late if, as GatorUrf alluded to, we can find that long-awaited solution at QB (you guys know my optimism about Zaire). I'm also still encouraged by the more positive trends we've witnessed with our recruiting; an area of concern for many us relative to Mac's tenure here. So, nothing changes that more positive outlook for me, but I'm just not finding myself as invested in the hype. In years past, I used to religiously follow all the articles, interviews, TV spots, etc., emanating out of Hoover, but, thus far, I haven't watched or read really anything other than this thread, believe it or not. 

I think one of the issues for me is that this Alabama dynamic is beyond played out. Apparently, they've been picked again and are already being treated as a shoo-in playoff contender by the media. I mean, really guys? No one wants to get creative and maybe generate some different storylines? Alabama lost a lot of players and coaches from last year's team, their QB is far from proven as a passer, and their recruiting machine has been showing some cracks...no one wants to take a run at them and maybe promote the Auburn narrative or something different? I mean, geez....I give them credit for their achievements, but it makes it awfully easy to build a bandwagon when it's just constant ass-kissing and no questioning of valid weak points by the media.

I've said this before - and I know it's these kinds of statements that sometimes get me teased as being a Nole sympathizer - but I'm honestly pulling for FSU in that opening game against them. The "Saban inevitability" angle is just tired at this point. I'm ready to see them stumble 3 or 4 times in a season and experience an Outback Bowl or something. 

Anyway, sorry to sort of whine about it, but the SEC football narrative has become kind of stale these days. I'm ready for something different and some new stars to emerge from other programs (selfishly, I hope one of those programs is UF). 

#4 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

Sorry to continue the whining, but just another point on my above statement, if you don't mind: 

Could someone explain why it was okay for the media to get burnt out and do a 180 on Tebow (and really Meyer's program, in general) in just 4 years, yet no one will take a run at or offer different perspectives on the Saban machine after nearly a decade? 

After Thom Brennamen's effusive praise of Tebow while calling our national championship game vs. Oklahoma, it was like the media said, "Okay...enough is enough. Time for a new narrative. Let's start digging for dirt on the Florida program and panning Tebow-mania." God forbid we win a 3rd title in 4 years in 2009. Alabama has flirted with 5 or 6 in a span of 8, but everyone seems fine with that. One writer was quoted recently as saying the playoff discussion should only ever be about 3 slots, because 1 is automatically guaranteed to be Alabama. I mean, c'mon...yes, they're a great program, but how about a little scrutiny of each of their new teams without the sense of inevitability? I'm just tired of it. 

#5 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

I think the only reason I've ever watched any of media days is because there is just nothing else on TV sports-wise. It's all the same coach-speak from the same guys. At least when USCe had Spurrier there would be some entertainment, but I agree with LoF, I could give two ****s about media days. 

Around this time of year, I'd like to see the program bolster recruiting and the "offseason" by making some videos welcoming the freshmen and giving us a glimpse into their lifestyle. It would be pretty easy to have some HS highlights with some of the better spoken recruits who just moved in showing us around their new dorms and the campus, getting to know them a little bit. With the media restrictions we put on freshmen this would be a great media tool for fans and recruits alike. 

• vulcan_alex and Lawrence of Florida like this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#6 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

I think the only reason I've ever watched any of media days is because there is just nothing else on TV sports-wise.

So true. This is such a dead period for sports, in general. 

Around this time of year, I'd like to see the program bolster recruiting and the "offseason" by making some videos welcoming the freshmen and giving us a glimpse into their lifestyle. It would be pretty easy to have some HS highlights with some of the better spoken recruits who just moved in showing us around their new dorms and the campus, getting to know them a little bit. With the media restrictions we put on freshmen this would be a great media tool for fans and recruits alike.

What a great idea! I hope the UAA minions are reading this. 

#7 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:37 PM

With reasonable expectations based on the purpose of the event, I enjoy it.  Lots of information and interviews about SEC football.

I learned more than a couple of new things about UF football today during our segment and Coach Mac's appearance.  The QB questions and responses were especially illuminating.  Coach Mac projected a quiet confidence in this year's team.

btw, Zach represented himself well.  Overall  the sports media seems to be taking UF more seriously this season.  At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the media picks us to finish third in the division. It's been a charm for us the last two years!

I saw a little of Coach Mullins in his ninth appearance at the event for MSU. He's done wonders in Starkville and has proven his ability to develop championship level QBs.

Got a glimpse of Kirby Smart and Georgia. I still think they will be one of the better team's in the East.  With Chubb and Michel in the backfield it will be easier for Eason to pass. I still have questions about their defense.

Vandy filled out the line-up for today.  The upset of UT will always endear Coach Mason to me.  He is as dynamic of a game day coach you will find. 

#8 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

Day Three went smoothly for the event with coaches from Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky and Texas A&M appearing.

A gentle giant, Saban closed his time by telling the media how much he appreciated all they do for publicizing Alabama and college football in general. I almost spit my coffee across the room.

So much for stability and success.  The next three schools and coaches have struggled to varying degrees to win consistently.  I would guage the heat setting from high to low with Odom, Sumlin and then Stoops. 

#9 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

South Carolina, Ole Miss and Auburn today to close the show in Hoover. 

Have to admire Coach Muschamp for always bouncing back.  He's taken what's he's learned at Florida and made Columbia a more competitive environment for football. USC(w) will be a dangerous team to face this season with a couple of upsets likely.  Coach Boom has them believing again in the Palmetto State.

Ole Miss looks like a rolling disaster waiting to explode.  The "why pick on me" Hugh Freeze was replaced by an apologetic version this time around.  Welcome to the big leagues where everyone is looking over your soldier.  I'll be very surprised if he is back for Media Days next season. There's no easy way to bounce back from this level of sanctions, especially if an additional year and more severe penalties are announced after the NCAA hearings.

Auburn and Gus Malzahn are always entertaining.  Lot's of buzz that Tigers are #2 and closely behind Bama with the addition of Steadham and so many returning players, especially on defense.  They'll face the moment of truth early in out of conference play with Clemson. I can't see where they can bring the new graduate transfer QB up to speed fast enough to win this tough of an early-season game.

I enjoyed the coverage and insight from the SEC Network during this event.  What?  We still have to wait to watch some SEC football?!

#10 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

LOF is making too much sense these days!

#11 stephenpe55

stephenpe55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

He is just setting us up for when the season starts and he starts slobbering over Jimbo and the mustard and ketchup in Tallacrappy............

• vulcan_alex and mtn2top like this

#12 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

One final post in retrospective about the event specific to Florida based on Coach Mac's and player statements.

The word "rebuilding" was not used in any Florida discussion. They believe in themselves. There's a quiet confidence they can defend the East and position Florida to go further.  That includes the defense, which may be a bit optimistic for this season. That's another thread.

It's the Gator offense that obsesses nearly everyone.  Lots of information and tidbits to mull over.

Most surprising statement: Coach Mac not naming the starting QB, yet saying he knew who it would be.

That supports my theory of a known early starter on a short leash, such as Del Rio or Franks with Malik as the change-up, ready in the wings. With a simple training wheel offense,Malik could be quite dangerous, especially with time as he learns the players and scheme. It's putting too much reliance on a transfer QB to start in an opener.  Our situation is not that dire at QB. Coach Mac mentioned having depth at the QB position for the first time.

Everyone in the Gator organization is confident there will be a much better offensive line. They are not alone. Booger McFarland labeled it as potentially the best in all of the SEC. Good offensive execution starts on the line of scrimmage. I can't wait to see the bigs shine and how it will improve the overall offense. That's what we had going at Florida in the 80's with the Great Wall.  We're a long way from those legendary days. It's been awhile since we've had a notable offensive line. 

It's the degree of execution in the line that makes all offense possible.  This season we will go from a patchwork line-up to a cohesive unit. Better line play leads to more efficient and productive offense. Consider the difference of a half second makes for a QB to look and throw downfield.  The accumulated time of possession to rest the defense and limit scoring opportunities for opposing teams.

We're likely to need significant improvement in the offense to carry more of the load of the defense this season. The defense can hold its own if they are not worn out by offensive ineptness. 

With so much room for improvement based on the past two seasons - an upward trend for the offense in nearly every metric is all but guaranteed. 

There's a lot to be excited about this season for people eager to see the Gator offense improve and go to the next level.

• vulcan_alex likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users