Close Open
Close Open
Photo

Title IX....the reality of liberalism........

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Just a taste of how we attempt to re engineer equality for everyone at the expense of fairness to the majority. Hopefully there will be change in the air in the next 4 years in the courts. Yes i know that football has no equal in women's sports.....that's bad...it's the only money maker in the bunch except for BB, again a men's sport. The following was taken from a poster on another site. While i cannot verify these numbers, if anyone can refute them please do so. The real examples get worse in other sports. But real fairness does not create the re balancing and towards stupidity! JMO 

BTW, I LOVE softball. tennis and volleyball. My grand daughter plays softball at the traveling level. So don't accuse me of not enjoying and watching their efforts! You cannot allow liberals to attempt to steal fairness from inequity by creating more unfairness. 

Baseball has 11.7 scholarships while softball gets 12 despite needing fewer pitchers to be competitive and keep their players healthy
Men's basketball gets 13 while women's gets 15.....
Men's swimming gets 9.9, women's get 14...

• JHCRANE-14 likes this

#2 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

I'm just trying to understand how you relate this to liberalism. 

• NotQyteNeo likes this

#3 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

I don't understand what you're getting at. Are they taking scholarships from football? No

Baseball seems to do pretty well with their scholarship situation. Same with basketball and swimming. 

• mtn2top likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#4 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

Don't believe it was conservatives that put that law into effect. It is a liberal philosophy. Giving funds to non producing sports is not conservative. Spreading those funds equally to all non producing sports is. Again, liberals always over compensate any issue they take on regardless of fairness to everyone, as in this case.

• rllrll likes this

#5 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

I guess a lot of people think that 100 people, not necessarily fans, at a women's BB game is equal to 100,000 at a football game. These government mandated equality sports that no one attends has to be funded by taking money from somewhere else. That's where being a liberal comes in. The result doesn't have to achieve equality as long as it makes a few feel good. Now, to clarify my position on this. I'm all for women playing sports but the government shouldn't mandate that schools provide the sports just because you have a men's team that needs a lot of scholarships. Title IX is a feel good sham.

• rllrll likes this

#6 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

Here's all that needs to happen: Make football exempt from the numbers for meeting Title IX requirements. For one thing, there is no sport equivalent on the women's side. And two, football has the largest amount of players on a team, so of course it uses up a lot more scholarships than any women's sport. Thus, it shouldn't be penalized for that.
  • vulcan_alex likes this

#7 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

I don't understand how you could love women's sports like volleyball, softball, and tennis and have a problem with Title IX. The reason there are women's tennis, volleyball, and softball at many of the K-12 schools in the nation is Title IX. You can't have your cake and eat it too in this instance. 

• mtn2top and gator67 like this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#8 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Don't believe it was conservatives that put that law into effect. It is a liberal philosophy. Giving funds to non producing sports is not conservative. Spreading those funds equally to all non producing sports is. Again, liberals always over compensate any issue they take on regardless of fairness to everyone, as in this case.

I want you to re-read that over and over and REALLY think about if that is true. And then think about how that statement would make you look to a fairly intelligent, neutral person.

EVERY liberal ALWAYS over compensates on any issue regardless of fairness? Hmm... 

Sheesh. I don't want to get political but I can't believe that somebody can make a broad statement like that about either side of the political aisle. At least not in a sports forum

Statements like that are exactly what is wrong with politics in this country. People really think that they are on the "good" side of the aisle and assume others on the "evil" side, and paint the others as androids who are all illogical and all believe the same thing.

SHAME ON YOU.

• mtn2top and Gator2222 like this

#9 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

The world is not black and white, liberal and conservative without gray and degrees respectively. 

A definition of success based on attendance or profitability for collegiate sports may also be flawed.  The goal of institutes for higher education in having any sports program is not to profit - but to enhance the student experience.  Most college sports programs lose money. 

Those are important aspect to consider when discussing Title 9.

• WernerIsTentative, vulcan_alex, GatorUrf10 and 1 other like this

#10 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

Government meddling in things that they probably should not.  Remember some men's sports that were eliminated to make room.  Now I am very happy that the Gators have outstanding female sports but being forced to do something like this is a progressive / liberal attitude.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#11 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

I don't understand how you could love women's sports like volleyball, softball, and tennis and have a problem with Title IX. The reason there are women's tennis, volleyball, and softball at many of the K-12 schools in the nation is Title IX. You can't have your cake and eat it too in this instance. 

The market could and should have made the changes without the influence of the federal government, it is these sorts of things that make government way more expensive than we can afford.

• GatorUrf10 likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#12 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

"The goal of institutes for higher education in having any sports program is not to profit - but to enhance the student experience.  Most college sports programs lose money." Mtn2top's point is the reason that the market cannot be the determining force in this matter. A (non-profit) university's primary goal is a well-rounded education, to which athletics can make a contribution, which is why it is important to maximize such opportunities for both men and women. (Granted, big-time sports have grown beyond this and generally lost this perspective, but the ideal still remains.)

• mtn2top likes this

#13 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

I want you to re-read that over and over and REALLY think about if that is true. And then think about how that statement would make you look to a fairly intelligent, neutral person.

EVERY liberal ALWAYS over compensates on any issue regardless of fairness? Hmm... 

Sheesh. I don't want to get political but I can't believe that somebody can make a broad statement like that about either side of the political aisle. At least not in a sports forum

Statements like that are exactly what is wrong with politics in this country. People really think that they are on the "good" side of the aisle and assume others on the "evil" side, and paint the others as androids who are all illogical and all believe the same thing.

SHAME ON YOU.

No, SHAME on you. Understand the reality of giving and giving so that everyone is equal despite their inability to compete fairly at all levels and all things. Why not give schollies based on race and color instead of actual competition? We would have mostly white players on our football and basketball team. Do you consider this fair????

Anyone for that proposition?

Taking schollies away from the worthy and giving it to non-qualified groups due to what is considered fairness is the Obama, liberal way of dealing with inadequate levels of achievement.  Just to answer the previous poster, yes I enjoy women's sports....would enjoy it just as much if it was funded the right way. One unfair doctrine doesn't become less of an attraction when it is equally proposed. This is simple, but simple minds cannot grasp the concept. 

Football should be exempt. The cash cow needs to stand on it's own and let everything else be equal. I can live with that. Trump got elected because dolts wanted to push the envelope even more left. Do you really think he would have won if we had a real leader in the white house?

What is so hard to understand that liberals want to create their own level playing field by corrupting the entire field itself. BTW, I am not a member of the GOP either. TRUTH is always hard to swallow whole. So those that can't understand, just take it slooooow.

#14 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

"The goal of institutes for higher education in having any sports program is not to profit - but to enhance the student experience.  Most college sports programs lose money." Mtn2top's point is the reason that the market cannot be the determining force in this matter. A (non-profit) university's primary goal is a well-rounded education, to which athletics can make a contribution, which is why it is important to maximize such opportunities for both men and women. (Granted, big-time sports have grown beyond this and generally lost this perspective, but the ideal still remains.)

The market is not only about money.  So a desire to have a well rounded education without the requirements might have brought forth women's sports in some manner.   Surely not as large as we actually have under threats.

UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#15 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Everybody just calm down before I ban someone. 

• stephenpe55 likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#16 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

Just for the record, it might be good to point out that Title IX was enacted under Richard Nixon in 1972. It began under a Republican administration and has been around awhile.

#17 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

Everybody just calm down before I ban someone. 

We have mods here??  And banning is possible??  Surely not here!!!

UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#18 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

I don't think so, but I'm throwing my hat in the ring.  I'm really good at being a mod.  I've only ever banned myself once. 

• vulcan_alex and mtn2top like this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#19 stephenpe55

stephenpe55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

I will tell you about this law. I went to HS in Alachua County late 60s early 70s.   Our high school had boys teams in football basketball track and field.  We had a girls basketball team when I got there.  My new basketball coach didnt want to share the gym in 1971 so the only girls sports team went away.  We had JV teams for boys in basketball and football, too.  Girls could be cheerleaders.,  That was it.  I knew some great girl athletes back then but they had no opportunities.  Our girls BB team was pretty good before they axed it.  THIS is why title IX came along.  Liberalism my ass. It was about fairness and opportunity.  We all know only football and a few basketball programs pay the bills.  So most of the teams are getting a ride from the football revenue.  MANY MANY young people get an education from their athletic ability and maybe an opportunity to represent the USA on the national stage.   Athletics are a bonding activity for many whether your play or watch.

• mtn2top likes this

#20 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:23 AM

I will tell you about this law. I went to HS in Alachua County late 60s early 70s.   Our high school had boys teams in football basketball track and field.  We had a girls basketball team when I got there.  My new basketball coach didnt want to share the gym in 1971 so the only girls sports team went away.  We had JV teams for boys in basketball and football, too.  Girls could be cheerleaders.,  That was it.  I knew some great girl athletes back then but they had no opportunities.  Our girls BB team was pretty good before they axed it.  THIS is why title IX came along.  Liberalism my ass. It was about fairness and opportunity.  We all know only football and a few basketball programs pay the bills.  So most of the teams are getting a ride from the football revenue.  MANY MANY young people get an education from their athletic ability and maybe an opportunity to represent the USA on the national stage.   Athletics are a bonding activity for many whether your play or watch.

My point exactly. While everyone is basking in making a better world, when does that infringe on the rights of mens programs? Thats why enacting rights for minorities they trample on the rights of majorities. Fairness cannot be enacted by rolling over on the rights for everyone else including male sports.

The scholies should be even in the other sports, not slanted toward womens programs.

If you can't understand this concept, then all this other stuff is fluffy BS. Don't tell me about "the way it was"...........they me why we cannot give out 27 baseball ships? Again, the idiots that make these determinations try to make up for the past by creating unfairness in the present.Hope for new Supreme Court makeup shortly!

CASE CLOSED.  (Please no more bleeding hearts that say nothing and do not add to the conversation but disclose you never read my opening statements.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users