• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Momentum is in our favor with that crucial first game win.  With the way LSU's pitching rotation worked out, Florida had to get that first game to have a chance for the title. 

This second game and a win for the NC will not be even more difficult tonight.  There's a great pitcher looking for redemption and a team looking to survive for one more deciding game.  I'm anticipating another defensive nail biter and one run game win by one of these teams.

With ten championships in the past, I have to think the Gators are hungrier for the first.  Both Faedo and Singer have pitched to their highest levels to get us in position to win.  Tonight is the best opportunity to put this away and our bullpen to respond.  An LSU win would ship momentum back in their favor for a deciding third game on Wednesday.

Go Gators!  There's a great chance we are one game from our first NC in baseball.

#22 GatorRick7

GatorRick7

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

If there is a game 3, is there a chance Faedo starts tomorrow?

#23 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

No.  He can come out of the pen as a mid reliever.  I've also seen some stuff (unsubstantiated) that he may have injured his leg Saturday night that may also be a factor.  Nothing official, though. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#24 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

The Omaha weather is getting interesting for Wednesday. Right now Wednesday's game looks clear between two severe weather periods. The first Wednesday Morning and the second all day Thursday. A little different timing could give our ace another day to rest.

Gators need to go ahead and win it tonight. 

#25 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

I need a drink and then wash this dirty ass dog.  She's stinking up my bed.  Can't have a dirty dog wearing her Gator shirt tonight. 

Go Lucky Cup!

• mtn2top likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#26 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

Woo boyyyyyyy that was awesome

• Wuerffel4Pres likes this

#27 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

Incredible! Just incredible! What a team. Congratulations, Gators.

• Lawrence of Florida and Wuerffel4Pres like this

#28 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

These guys have just played their way into college baseball history.  Extra proud to be a Gator and have our first national championship in baseball! 

It's even sweeter by sweeping LSU for the title, clearly answering any question of which is the better team and undisputed champion of the SEC.

#29 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:39 AM

It's finally happened. Shocked. I wanted this one bad. This was the last big one I wanted to see happen in my lifetime. Florida baseball = National Champs. I still can't believe we did it. To say I am overjoyed would be the understatement of the year. Way to go, Gators!!! This smile will not leave my face for a long long time! IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR!!!
  • Lawrence of Florida likes this

#30 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

I'm still in shock that it happened. These Gators never made it easy but that's what they are all about. I'm never been more surprised by a team yet unsurprised that they won it all by the end of the season. At the beginning of the year they just seemed like they couldn't find a rhythm and for Sully to reformulate and make them into a national seed by season's end says so much about the personnel and the coaches. 

Everything about this game was amazing. The umps have had better CWSs, I'm sure, but for the most part I think they got all of the big calls right. 

And have you ever seen a team with so many players contributing in different ways?? Our starting pitching has obviously been lights out. Bryne's contributions throughout the whole season cannot be understated despite getting roughed up a bit. Dyson comes out of nowhere in the last few weeks to show that he can be our third starter next year. Dalton Guthrie was a freak of nature at short, making top ten play after top ten play along with delivering timely hits. Mike Rivera was the best defensive catcher I've ever seen at UF and was our best hitter with RISP. Nick Horvath was one of our best players in the CWS, doing literally everything. That throw from center field saved game 1, and his hitting last night was incredible. Deacon Liput continued to surge after his injury and was our biggest offensive weapon. India seemed to be the guy that got us going, getting on base to start a few big innings throughout the tourney. JJ and Langworthy got some hits as well. The only guy who was really disappointing in the CWS (besides Michlin) was Larson as he wasn't the same after getting hit in the head by that pitch. He seemed to be an automatic out but despite that he still laid down a near perfect bunt to advance a runner in the 6th.

Every one contributed to this title and there are even more who I didn't name who made it happen too. It's a feel-good team with a feel-good win. They made all of those classless fans who threw garbage onto the field go home sad and drunk. They secured the fact that this sports year would be Joe Alleva's worst to date and our revenge on the a-holes from lsu who underplayed a catastrophic event (Clay Travis, I'm looking at you). They cemented their legacy as the greatest team to ever put on a Gator uniform and they will always be remembered. 

Congrats to the players and the coaches on a job well done!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator. 

• vulcan_alex, OldGatorAlum, Lawrence of Florida and 1 other like this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#31 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

It's finally happened. Shocked. I wanted this one bad. This was the last big one I wanted to see happen in my lifetime. Florida baseball = National Champs. I still can't believe we did it. To say I am overjoyed would be the understatement of the year. Way to go, Gators!!! This smile will not leave my face for a long long time! IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR!!!

I was trying to remember last night which person on here wanted it so badly and had been so frustrated over the last few years.  I believe it was you.

Now you can relax and enjoy it  :)

#32 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

I'm still in shock that it happened. These Gators never made it easy but that's what they are all about. I'm never been more surprised by a team yet unsurprised that they won it all by the end of the season. At the beginning of the year they just seemed like they couldn't find a rhythm and for Sully to reformulate and make them into a national seed by season's end says so much about the personnel and the coaches. 

Everything about this game was amazing. The umps have had better CWSs, I'm sure, but for the most part I think they got all of the big calls right. 

And have you ever seen a team with so many players contributing in different ways?? Our starting pitching has obviously been lights out. Bryne's contributions throughout the whole season cannot be understated despite getting roughed up a bit. Dyson comes out of nowhere in the last few weeks to show that he can be our third starter next year. Dalton Guthrie was a freak of nature at short, making top ten play after top ten play along with delivering timely hits. Mike Rivera was the best defensive catcher I've ever seen at UF and was our best hitter with RISP. Nick Horvath was one of our best players in the CWS, doing literally everything. That throw from center field saved game 1, and his hitting last night was incredible. Deacon Liput continued to surge after his injury and was our biggest offensive weapon. India seemed to be the guy that got us going, getting on base to start a few big innings throughout the tourney. JJ and Langworthy got some hits as well. The only guy who was really disappointing in the CWS (besides Michlin) was Larson as he wasn't the same after getting hit in the head by that pitch. He seemed to be an automatic out but despite that he still laid down a near perfect bunt to advance runners in the 8th for that big inning. 

Every one contributed to this title and there are even more who I didn't name who made it happen too. It's a feel-good team with a feel-good win. They made all of those classless fans who threw garbage onto the field go home sad and drunk. They secured the fact that this sports year would be Joe Alleva's worst to date and our revenge on the a-holes from lsu who underplayed a catastrophic event (Clay Travis, I'm looking at you). They cemented their legacy as the greatest team to ever put on a Gator uniform and they will always be remembered. 

Congrats to the players and the coaches on a job well done!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator. 

I would double like this post if I could

well said

#33 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

All because I washed the dog. 

You're welcome. 

• Wuerffel4Pres and GatorUrf10 like this

#34 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 730 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

WOOOHOOOOO 

GREAT WIN!!

#35 mkfgator

mkfgator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

Gators deserved this more than any team in the country. We ended up having the toughest schedule. LSU's was next. Plus, is karma coming back to bite Alleva in the behind? Geaux Gators!

#36 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

Congrats to O'Sullivan and our baseball team. I don't think many of us felt this would be the team to break through and win it, but they did. 

I confess that I didn't watch much of the tournament (I wrote after last season's letdown that I just couldn't continue to invest at that level), but did tune into portions of the championship games vs LSU. Like most, I expected Oregon St to be in the final, but when I saw it was LSU we were matched up with, I actually had a good feeling that we'd come away with the title. 1.) The last time it was an all-SEC final we were on the short end (South Carolina 2011), 2.) we are owed good karma vs. LSU after that hurricane incident, 3.) LSU had won 6 or 7 titles in their history and rarely finished runner-up, whereas we had been runner-up in our last 2 appearances in the final - so a reversal in those trends was due. 

I have to say, in the games I watched, I thought the announcers were obnoxiously biased toward LSU. I don't normally complain about announcers, but they were seriously up LSU's *ss. The constant harping on the attendance/fan split was a cheap shot considering LSU has a much richer history with the city of Omaha and has made RV'ing out there to set up "tailgate cities" part of the experience. I remember reading an article from circa 2010 about how the Omaha Chamber of Commerce coordinates with LSU alumni groups because they're such good patrons of bars, restaurants, etc., and also a lot of locals just buy LSU merchandise and pull for them since they're pumping money into that economy. I suspect if our program had 6 or 7 national titles there, we'd have more of a presence, too - and that goes for just about any SEC school outside of Vandy. Which, by the way, I don't recall hearing the announcers blast 'Dore fans about their attendance? Or UVA fans? Miami fans? UNC fans? Arizona fans? Oregon St fans? UC-Riverside, Coastal Carolina?? Get my point? But maybe that's because there wasn't a crew member like Eduardo Perez harboring an FSU bias against our program and resenting the fact that we won our first national title before the overrated Mike Martin. I don't think it's a coincidence that Ravech threw in that little snippet about a ball being "tomahawk chopped" down the foul line...Perez was feeding them anti-UF info all series, most likely. 

It'd be nice if the networks would just present games in a straight forward manner and allow each fan base to enjoy being showcased instead of feeling the need to antagonize one and manufacture non-stories. We just swept LSU out of the championship series in their supposed "Baton Rouge North," so ultimately what effect did it even have? Also, we kicked Nebraska's ass that one time they stumbled into Omaha and had a dominant crowd presence. Vandy won it all out there, for chrissakes, and how many fans do they even have? 10? It doesn't matter - why sit there and harp on it for 3 hours of a telecast? Let us enjoy the competition. 

I did appreciate Ravech at least making the point in the end that, unlike Coastal Carolina last year, this is no cinderella story - UF is a big time program and will win more titles in the future. 

Also, the constant praising of Poche and that other LSU pitcher who would've gone tonight in Game 3....I mean, we had already beaten both of those guys earlier in the season. They acted like we had no chance in Games 2 and 3 against them, and that we only won Game 1 because the pitching match up was heavily in our favor. Yet, look what happened...0-2 for the corn dogs and Poche goes out crying in the dugout. 

Was anyone else irked with those narratives and feel like the announcers wanted LSU to win?

Anyway, don't want to let that stuff ruin what otherwise was a great night. As several posters wrote above, this is something a lot of Gator fans have been waiting to see and the fact that we just stole history from FSU makes it even better. 

• GatorUrf10 likes this

#37 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

I have to say, in the games I watched, I thought the announcers were obnoxiously biased toward LSU. I don't normally complain about announcers, but they were seriously up LSU's *ss. The constant harping on the attendance/fan split was a cheap shot considering LSU has a much richer history with the city of Omaha and has made RV'ing out there to set up "tailgate cities" part of the experience. I remember reading an article from circa 2010 about how the Omaha Chamber of Commerce coordinates with LSU alumni groups because they're such good patrons of bars, restaurants, etc., and also a lot of locals just buy LSU merchandise and pull for them since they're pumping money into that economy. I suspect if our program had 6 or 7 national titles there, we'd have more of a presence, too - and that goes for just about any SEC school outside of Vandy. Which, by the way, I don't recall hearing the announcers blast 'Dore fans about their attendance? Or UVA fans? Miami fans? UNC fans? Arizona fans? Oregon St fans? UC-Riverside, Coastal Carolina?? Get my point? But maybe that's because there wasn't a crew member like Eduardo Perez harboring an FSU bias against our program and resenting the fact that we won our first national title before the overrated Mike Martin. I don't think it's a coincidence that Ravech threw in that little snippet about a ball being "tomahawk chopped" down the foul line...Perez was feeding them anti-UF info all series, most likely. 

and Poche goes out crying in the dugout. 

I actually agree with you. Normally I don't comment on the announcers as I always see them as anti-Gator because I tend to hear the negatives more than the positive and when I re-watch I tend to see that there wasn't much bias at all. 

This game was different. I re-watched the game this morning and it was more evident than ever. First of all, the announcers had a back-story and some interesting info about EVERY lsu batter- as well as close-ups ready for most of their parents. How many UF parents did we see during the final series? Hmmm? Sully's kids were the only Gators who got air time. I get that there were a ton of corn dogs there but they prepared for these games like lsu was going to walk to a natty title. I now know what all of the parents of all of the lsu players look like. Thanks ESPN. How about showing Dalton Guthrie's dad, who used to pitch for lsu, wearing his orange and blue while his son guts out a bad back? How about Michael Byrne's mom? How about any information about our hitters? Faedo's family? Singer's parents? Perez knew about Rivera's gramps because of their shared heritage, that might have been the only info about a Gator player I heard the last few days. The only lsu Dad we should have seen was Poche's Dad for saving that guy's life. He's a hero in my eyes. Showing Papierski's Dad constantly pulling out his phone was just stupid. 

Also, did anyone else notice that when the Gator pitchers would throw a close strike, ESPN brought in every angle to show that the ump was wrong (replay, ump cam, and overhead cam-- all slow mo)? When lsu would do it, which was often, the announcers just conceded that it was a 'good pitch' and that thee pitcher was taking advantage of the strike zone. No replays to show that the pitch was a foot outside. 

With all of that said, like Joakim expressed in 07, it feels good to be the villain sometimes. After the game the announcers still seemed stunned that Florida won. Screw those guys. Go Gators and keep kicking ass!

• Lawrence of Florida likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#38 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

I actually agree with you. Normally I don't comment on the announcers as I always see them as anti-Gator because I tend to hear the negatives more than the positive and when I re-watch I tend to see that there wasn't much bias at all. 

This game was different. I re-watched the game this morning and it was more evident than ever. First of all, the announcers had a back-story and some interesting info about EVERY lsu batter- as well as close-ups ready for most of their parents. How many UF parents did we see during the final series? Hmmm? Sully's kids were the only Gators who got air time. I get that there were a ton of corn dogs there but they prepared for these games like lsu was going to walk to a natty title. I now know what all of the parents of all of the lsu players look like. Thanks ESPN. How about showing Dalton Guthrie's dad, who used to pitch for lsu, wearing his orange and blue while his son guts out a bad back? How about Michael Byrne's mom? How about any information about our hitters? Faedo's family? Singer's parents? Perez knew about Rivera's gramps because of their shared heritage, that might have been the only info about a Gator player I heard the last few days. The only lsu Dad we should have seen was Poche's Dad for saving that guy's life. He's a hero in my eyes. Showing Papierski's Dad constantly pulling out his phone was just stupid. 

Also, did anyone else notice that when the Gator pitchers would throw a close strike, ESPN brought in every angle to show that the ump was wrong (replay, ump cam, and overhead cam-- all slow mo)? When lsu would do it, which was often, the announcers just conceded that it was a 'good pitch' and that thee pitcher was taking advantage of the strike zone. No replays to show that the pitch was a foot outside. 

With all of that said, like Joakim expressed in 07, it feels good to be the villain sometimes. After the game the announcers still seemed stunned that Florida won. Screw those guys. Go Gators and keep kicking ass!

Exactly. 

Also, how about whenever our section of fans would start chanting, "Let's go, Gators!" and making noise, the camera just silently pans by them with no comment from the announcers about "Gator fans making themselves heard" or "Gator fans starting to bring the noise." But then whenever LSU fans start back up, it's immediately, "And listen to this throng of Tiger fans...the ballpark is rocking....attendance is 26,000-whatever and 2/3rds are wearing purple and gold...blah, blah, blah." 

It's just obnoxious. How many fans does UVA take out there? Vandy? Cal St Fullerton? Oregon St? I mean, c'mon....most fan bases are going to find it difficult to get to Omaha (there aren't many direct flights and the uncertain nature of the scheduling makes it difficult to plan time away from work). We're no different than any other college baseball fan base and yet that announcing crew chose to stigmatize us and attempt to embarrass us. I suspect this is because Eduardo is a resentful Nole and took pleasure in dissing us. Yes, there are programs like LSU who have made trekking to Omaha part of their athletic culture...but guess what?? They've won the CWS like 6 times and it's an easier trip for them. Let them have some extended history of heartbreak like us and FSU and see how enthusiastic they are about going out there. Then you have programs like South Carolina who have never enjoyed much athletic success and flocked in droves to witness history. By and large, though, crowds such as ours, UVA's, Oregon St's, FSU's, UCLA's, UGA's (when they made it that one year), etc....that's what you're going to see. To sit there and kick us in the balls for it for 3+hours and act like it's some abnormal circumstance is ridiculous. Our baseball attendance average was top 10 in the nation, if I'm not mistaken, and our showing in Omaha was completely normal....but hey, let's don't mention that and continue to diss UF. 

Whatever, though. As Pat Dooley wrote, hope all those purple and gold masses enjoy their drive back to BR empty-handed. That's now football, basketball, and baseball that we've owned them in this year. And as for the Noles like Eduardo: eat it up, boys. You had like 40-50 years to do what we did last night and couldn't make it happen. Now, no matter how many CWS titles you eventually bring back to Tallahassee, you'll always have to live with the fact that we took it home first. We now have national titles in all of the major, revenue-producing sports...something FSU will likely never accomplish. And, don't get too comfortable on your football perch...judging by recruiting trends, the story in the main sport is about to start changing, as well. 

Haters can hate, but UF won anyway. Congrats to the staff and players. 

• vulcan_alex likes this

#39 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

Good points by all here. The announcers did talk about lsu a lot more but I wasn't surprised. It was clear all year that the entire lsu baseball team is an obnoxious, attention seeking group. When you pretend like you are super quirky and unique like they did this year you tend to get more backstory from the gullible announcers. I mean... Just look at their stupid haircuts. Maybe when your fan base is classless you tend to pick up on some of those traits.

Not our boys though. They were out there to play baseball, not fiddle-fart around. We weren't the ones out there crying to the umps on close played, and LSU was doing it even when it was clear the umpires were making the correct calls. You could tell every guy out there for us was focused.

I also have to second the ESPN crew examining the gator pitches when they were outside of the zone and called strikes. That happened in BOTH games in the championship series. There were just as many bad calls on the plate for both sides, but the commentators made it seem otherwise.

God this NC feels good. Doing it against LSU makes it feel so much better. I have to admit, I had a sinking feeling when I saw they made it to the finals because I knew they were hot and I really hate the entire personality of that baseball team.

Thank God we pulled it out in the same way we always do. Good pitching, mediocre hitting, and just wait for the other team to do something stupid.

That was a fun season to watch. Incredible. Go Gators.
  • Lawrence of Florida and GatorUrf10 like this

#40 GatorRick7

GatorRick7

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

It was fun for sure...I'm headed to Gainesville today for a quick stop to say hi to the kiddos (we have 3 in G'ville) and then onto Tampa for work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users