• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

I think we might as well start a new thread on the baseball teams run to the CWS.

A few months ago, it looked like we would be lucky to even host a regional, much less a super regional, but here we are again, back again in Omaha where we belong. This team, however, feels very different than ones we have brought in the past.

I don't think that's necessarily a good thing, except for one part. Usually we have really hot bats all season until we reach the CWS and get frustrated that suddenly, we can't hit. This season, our team seems to be used to grinding out games with poor hitting. I don't think we can "choke" this year like in years past, because our hitting can't really be any worse.

KEYS TO WINNING CWS

-I think we absolutely must win this first game in the CWS, and realistically, we probably have to win the first 2 games to have a chance. We don't have the relievers to win a bunch of games in a row. If we lose the first one, I think our chances of winning it all change from a 10-15% chance, to a 1-2% chance.

-Our starters need to go ~7 innings in the first two games. And we can't do one of our classic 11-12 inning games where Byrne pitches 80 pitches in relief. Once again, the relievers aren't good enough if we wear out all of our pitchers.

-JJ Schwarz. As I said quite awhile ago, JJ being hot is what changes this team from an average team to a national title contender. If he gets us a couple of home runs or timely RBIs in the next couple of days, we will have a good chance to get to the finals, especially if they come early on in the games.

-RUNS. If we can string runs together EARLY, maybe we can get our ho-hum relievers some playing time and confidence for the finals. I'll say it 1 more time. Saving our strong arms is vital to winning.

I'll be watching tonight's game with my parents for fathers day. Happy fathers day to all the dads out there! 

#2 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Great points, especially on the importance of Father's Day and getting the first win.

I have a good feeling about this team based on how tough they were against Wake Forest when things went against them. I have a bad feeling about this team based on how well Wake did against them in Gainesville. I look back to Faedo coming out as a closer in the last home game as a sign of tenacity and determination to go out as champions.

All three aspects of our game must be on point in Omaha to add a NC in baseball to UF accomplishments. This team has the capacity to succeed where others have come up short.

#3 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

We need to keep grinding out wins; with stellar pitching.

LETS GO GATORS

#4 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

Awesome win.

#5 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

I think my PC has a virus that will force me to stream this afternoon's game. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#6 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

Need another 6-7 innings or so out of singer tomorrow. A win tomorrow will be huge huge huge. I think that a loss will still make it nearly impossible for us to get to the final, because of the lack of pitching depth.

#7 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

I think your keys to victory are all still applicable.  We have to get more out of the top of the order.

That said, it's been a pleasant surprise to get this far, so let's go kick some corndog ass

• vulcan_alex and GatorUrf10 like this

#8 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

It would have been great to have Faedo out on the mound for this one tonight but glad we're here and still think our chances are very good. Agree on the point that we need this game tonight. 

• vulcan_alex likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#9 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

With LSU's pitching on a par with the Gators I've got a queasy feeling that the inconsistent bats of the Gators might bite us in the rear. I hope I'm wrong and it's some kind of stomach bug.

#10 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

With LSU's pitching on a par with the Gators I've got a queasy feeling that the inconsistent bats of the Gators might bite us in the rear. I hope I'm wrong and it's some kind of stomach bug.

The guy pitching for Lsu tonight has an ERA of 9

We have the initial advantage. Just can't let it get to game 3 with Lange being a possibility for them. 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#11 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

If it goes three, wouldn't Faedo be available for us? 

• vulcan_alex likes this

#12 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

If it goes three, wouldn't Faedo be available for us? 

Doubtful he would make a start. It looks like it would be Kowar with Faedo possibly closing if he feels okay on four days rest.

Sully has made it pretty clear in the past he won't pitch guys without proper rest. 

#13 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

But what is proper rest?  It seems like four days is correct.

• gator_tom likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#14 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

Same here - isn't 4 days rest enough?

#15 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

#16 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

IMO, if this goes three games, we'll see him out of the bullpen. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#17 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

Interesting. I did not know this. 

#18 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

He won't start game one but is almost certain to play in Game 2 or 3 if needed. You won't be able to keep him from the field.

#19 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

He won't start game one but is almost certain to play in Game 2 or 3 if needed. You won't be able to keep him from the field.

Agreed.

#20 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

Interesting. I did not know this. 

In the majors they don't care as much but in college it's all about protecting your pitcher's arm and getting them to the next level. 

I should have been more clear in my initial post but you have to quite literally go from the time of the last pitch he threw to the next game. If we slated Faedo for game three that wouldn't even technically be four days if you count from Saturday night. That's why in my earlier post I said I think he comes in as a reliever especially if Byrne gets extended innings tonight as I'm almost certain he will. 

With that said, it is the CWS and you can't leave any pieces to the puzzle in the dugout. But forget all of that- Let's get this done tonight.

GO GATORS!

• mtn2top likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users