• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

I think we might as well start a new thread on the baseball teams run to the CWS.

A few months ago, it looked like we would be lucky to even host a regional, much less a super regional, but here we are again, back again in Omaha where we belong. This team, however, feels very different than ones we have brought in the past.

I don't think that's necessarily a good thing, except for one part. Usually we have really hot bats all season until we reach the CWS and get frustrated that suddenly, we can't hit. This season, our team seems to be used to grinding out games with poor hitting. I don't think we can "choke" this year like in years past, because our hitting can't really be any worse.

KEYS TO WINNING CWS

-I think we absolutely must win this first game in the CWS, and realistically, we probably have to win the first 2 games to have a chance. We don't have the relievers to win a bunch of games in a row. If we lose the first one, I think our chances of winning it all change from a 10-15% chance, to a 1-2% chance.

-Our starters need to go ~7 innings in the first two games. And we can't do one of our classic 11-12 inning games where Byrne pitches 80 pitches in relief. Once again, the relievers aren't good enough if we wear out all of our pitchers.

-JJ Schwarz. As I said quite awhile ago, JJ being hot is what changes this team from an average team to a national title contender. If he gets us a couple of home runs or timely RBIs in the next couple of days, we will have a good chance to get to the finals, especially if they come early on in the games.

-RUNS. If we can string runs together EARLY, maybe we can get our ho-hum relievers some playing time and confidence for the finals. I'll say it 1 more time. Saving our strong arms is vital to winning.

I'll be watching tonight's game with my parents for fathers day. Happy fathers day to all the dads out there! 

#2 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Great points, especially on the importance of Father's Day and getting the first win.

I have a good feeling about this team based on how tough they were against Wake Forest when things went against them. I have a bad feeling about this team based on how well Wake did against them in Gainesville. I look back to Faedo coming out as a closer in the last home game as a sign of tenacity and determination to go out as champions.

All three aspects of our game must be on point in Omaha to add a NC in baseball to UF accomplishments. This team has the capacity to succeed where others have come up short.

#3 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

We need to keep grinding out wins; with stellar pitching.

LETS GO GATORS

#4 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

Awesome win.

#5 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

I think my PC has a virus that will force me to stream this afternoon's game. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#6 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

Need another 6-7 innings or so out of singer tomorrow. A win tomorrow will be huge huge huge. I think that a loss will still make it nearly impossible for us to get to the final, because of the lack of pitching depth.

#7 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:11 PM

I think your keys to victory are all still applicable.  We have to get more out of the top of the order.

That said, it's been a pleasant surprise to get this far, so let's go kick some corndog ass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users