6 replies to this topic

#1 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

The Jacksonville, Fla., native committed to previous Gators staff as a high school recruit, but later flipped to Georgia.

Willims failed to meet academic requirements for the SEC and signed with Ohio in 2015. However, he did not qualify for that school either and went the junior college route.

With his grades now in order, Williams was recruited this spring by Alabama, Georgia and LSU. The 6-foot, 185-pound prospect gives the Gators nine commitments for the 2018 class

the hits keep on coming. Go Mac go

#2 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

Recruiting has seriously improved. 

Whatever some of us think about Mac and his quirky habits as a person, the guy is finally starting to produce results on the recruiting trail. I applaud the staff's effort and hope they continue to build on this momentum. 

#3 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

Recruiting has seriously improved. 

Whatever some of us think about Mac and his quirky habits as a person, the guy is finally starting to produce results on the recruiting trail. I applaud the staff's effort and hope they continue to build on this momentum. 

The proof is in the pudding. Lets see how he finishes again.  Top 5 finish would be nice, for a change of pace. It's been a while! (including a QB that is not a senior transfer)

I would love to eat crow on this board!

• mtn2top likes this

#4 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:01 PM

The proof is in the pudding. Lets see how he finishes again.  Top 5 finish would be nice, for a change of pace. It's been a while! (including a QB that is not a senior transfer)

I would love to eat crow on this board!

Me too. 

And I totally agree about finishing. However, the trend lines right now are very encouraging and there's a lot of talk around the program that this is the year we finally break through with an elite class. 

I haven't been this excited about recruiting in a long time - and this is just a couple months removed from me being in basically crisis mode. I thought Richt was out-maneuvering us down at Miami, but it turns out our coaches purposely backed off some guys to clear the deck for even bigger targets (to be fair, a few posters like 2222 and GatorUrf did try to make this point, but, I'll be honest, I was panicking). I was very uninformed about what was happening, so believe me, I've had to eat some crow. But I'm happy to do it and would enjoy even greater servings if we can lock this class down.

#5 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

Me too. 

And I totally agree about finishing. However, the trend lines right now are very encouraging and there's a lot of talk around the program that this is the year we finally break through with an elite class. 

I haven't been this excited about recruiting in a long time - and this is just a couple months removed from me being in basically crisis mode. I thought Richt was out-maneuvering us down at Miami, but it turns out our coaches purposely backed off some guys to clear the deck for even bigger targets (to be fair, a few posters like 2222 and GatorUrf did try to make this point, but, I'll be honest, I was panicking). I was very uninformed about what was happening, so believe me, I've had to eat some crow. But I'm happy to do it and would enjoy even greater servings if we can lock this class down.

I get it now. At the time I was actually kind of mad we were going after more 'project' QBs like Franks. I love Franks and I still think he's going to help us but Sitkowski, Williams and Milton will be decent rJR and rSR QBs, but a guy like Fields is the type of player you've been clamoring for UF to go after, LoF. And like you wanted, they've put all of their chips on this guy and have told other QBs this. Mac is not settling with his current positive recruiting momentum. Seems to be a smart move.

What worries me is that Fields seems to want to commit before HS season starts. He has made it clear that UF is in the mix but not the leader like most assumed. I'd like him to see Zaire or Franks show the potential of a working offense at UF before he pulls the trigger as schools like f$u and uga will use negative recruiting talking about our lack of QB. I don't see Fields de-committing from the next school he chooses unless there is a coaching change or something of that nature. 

On the positive side Abolverdi did just report that Fields is visiting UF again after stopping by IMG this week. Didn't say anything about him going to f$u like he mentioned previously. That's good news. If Mac and co. sell the fact that he could turn around the culture of offense at UF and create his own legend here I think that would go far with a young guy like that. Our fanbase has been so thirsty for a functional QB to go along with our always nasty defense. We have the WR recruits and the Oline depth- Get Fields. 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#6 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:34 AM

To get back on topic... Has anyone else watched Deontai Williams's highlight tape?? Incredible stuff. This guy is a great get.

Kid reminds me of Major Wright/Matt Elam.

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#7 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,485 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

To get back on topic... Has anyone else watched Deontai Williams's highlight tape?? Incredible stuff. This guy is a great get.

Kid reminds me of Major Wright/Matt Elam.

If Williams comes anywhere close to playing up to those Gator defensive standards he is an incredible get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users