• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:25 AM

Don't get your hopes up if you're looking for a change at QB.  I'll predict right now that Luke Del Rio comes out of the fall as the starter.

It makes sense to me.  Del Rio doesn't have the strongest arm, that would be Franks.  Del Rio isn't an elusive runner, that would be Zaire.  Having the most Gator game experience and deepest knowledge of the offense gives Del Rio a nearly insurmountable advantage in remaining the starter. 

Del Rio can execute all the playbook and make most of the throws.  He serves as an extension of the OC on the field and can get the most out of the other players.  There's a leadership and cerebral side of the QB position. 

When all factors are considered, don't be surprised when Luke Del Rio remains our starting QB.

#2 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

Del Rio has a great shot to start the first game. The QB competition will be interesting to watch. 

#3 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

LDR will be a benchwarmer after Michigan

#4 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

Don't get your hopes up if you're looking for a change at QB.  I'll predict right now that Luke Del Rio comes out of the fall as the starter.

It makes sense to me.  Del Rio doesn't have the strongest arm, that would be Franks.  Del Rio isn't an elusive runner, that would be Zaire.  Having the most Gator game experience and deepest knowledge of the offense gives Del Rio a nearly insurmountable advantage in remaining the starter. 

Del Rio can execute all the playbook and make most of the throws.  He serves as an extension of the OC on the field and can get the most out of the other players.  There's a leadership and cerebral side of the QB position. 

When all factors are considered, don't be surprised when Luke Del Rio remains our starting QB.

That would be the biggest middle finger ever to a fan base that's been through hell with their QB position since 2010. 

Just reading that thread title made me throw up in my mouth a little. 

Del Rio is a horrible QB. I don't care how deep his knowledge is of the offense - he isn't skilled enough to execute it. What good is it to know an offense inside and out when you can't make over half the throws anyway? He should quit attempting to play the game of football and take his "knowledge" into the coaching ranks, where it can perhaps be of some service. I'm sure his father could arrange an entry level position within the Raiders organization to get his career underway.  

I hope Mac would have enough courtesy to make that announcement at least a few days in advance of the game in Dallas so I can bail out and save some money. I'll have to eat the airfare, but I could still cancel the hotel rooms and rental car. 

I know some probably think I'm joking, but I'm not. I refuse to watch a scrub like Luke Del Rio play QB for us anymore. I'm done. Especially when we'll have Zaire and Franks on the roster. Even Trask, as awful as he is, would be worth more of a look just based on his height, arm strength, and decent running ability. And make no mistake, I'm hoping Trask transfers to clear space, but I'm just saying...anything but Del Rio again. I can't take that type of limited QB play anymore. 

#5 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

The best player should fill every position.  Right now, that's Del Rio at quarterback.  There's no reason to make it personal.

#6 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

I'm torn because I liked how the offense felt rejuvenated at the beginning of the year with Del Rio but I still have that Arkansas feeling in my gut which still hurts. We had everything to play for in that game and Del Rio was at his worst. Now every one says he was injured... if that was the case he should have pulled himself from the game. He saw his throws, he knew it...It's not like he had a sprained ankle and could still make the throws. He's the QB and had a SHOULDER injury.... that's like a sprinter breaking his tibia and still trying to run a relay. I put that loss on him either way you spin it. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him trot out with the first team offense against meat chicken. I think the team still has a lot of confidence in him but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him be pulled quickly if there aren't results.

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#7 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Del Rio start, but I would also not be surprised if Franks or Zaire started. Even though Del Rio is more familiar with the play book, this does not mean that the whole repertoire of plays will be open for the Gators' offense. He cannot make all of the throws, which limits what can be put in the game plan. I agree that he made a mistake in not pulling himself out of the  Arkansas game, but he obviously was not the same as earlier in the year. Still, even at his best, he lacks a strong arm. This may be the reason someone else starts. I am not making a prediction. Mac clearly is very concerned about turnovers, so he may choose to live with the limits Del Rio brings. The case is not clear cut in my mind, in any case.

• mtn2top likes this

#8 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

I was walking into work this morning and I walked by a few players this morning leaving the practice field, they were talking about QBs. Gardner was hyping Zaire on and on. A couple guys were sticking up for Franks. The overwhelming vibe I got was upbeat. They seemed excited. 

#9 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

They were whispering about the guy who broke out of Shands

#10 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

Just need to see development of the position and it will do wonders for QB recruiting. 

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#11 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:53 AM

Yeah. QBs go to UF now to develop

#12 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

Yeah. QBs go to UF now to develop

What QB's has UT produced lately? Manning was like two decades ago and everyone knew he was an NFL prospect in high school - he would've been drafted just as high out of Ole Miss, as his brother demonstrated. 

It's getting really old having our board inundated with smack talk from a program that's done nothing since the late 90's. You guys really aren't even on our radar anymore. 

• Wuerffel4Pres likes this

#13 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

What QB's has UT produced lately? Manning was like two decades ago and everyone knew he was an NFL prospect in high school - he would've been drafted just as high out of Ole Miss, as his brother demonstrated. 

It's getting really old having our board inundated with smack talk from a program that's done nothing since the late 90's. You guys really aren't even on our radar anymore. 

4a3010eaf898d16697d7bff907b9150856950a0c

#14 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

Cue whorange all caps reply in 3...2...1.... 

lol

• Wuerffel4Pres likes this

#15 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

MTN2TP. I respect your opinion. I agreed with your conservative approach & QB analysis last year and still do. 

The "best player for QB" is a very relative term this year.LDR is"the best player"under the most conservative analysis in the sense Dale Dorminey  was at the time he was selected to start in 1984. Bell played of course because Dorminey was injured right away.KBwas  good to very good quarterback who was surrounded by an  excellent and experienced offensive line and playmakers. 

MAC didn't have the personnel to be bold offensively in the last  two years. He might this year. This is not the year to be conservative, it is the time to be bold.  LDR  is not the best player to achieve that need. LDR may be the right guy to come into a game to steady a rattled Gator team or to ice a way a game in the victory formation.

The Gator's need to be bold to beat Michigan and be the aggressor at all times. Michigan and Harbaugh may be in a uniquely vulnerable situation. Playing Big Ten conservative offense. style only plays into Harbaugh's hands.

LDR has had some serious injuries that have affected his throwing arm. He is a good insurance policy and part off our QB depth andmay function well as quasi-coach on the benchor may be a relief pitcher that earns his way to start.

• mtn2top likes this

#16 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

4a3010eaf898d16697d7bff907b9150856950a0c

lmfao

#17 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Cue whorange all caps reply in 3...2...1.... 

lol

Its so nice not to see his trolling activities........

#18 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

If del rio is the best we have then I hope he starts. I hope to god that he isn't the best we have though.

• Lawrence of Florida likes this

#19 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Most of us are in agreement that we want the best player starting at QB.  That has not been determined for 2017-18 season yet.

I'm not advocating for anyone, only relating that LDR is still on this team and a very competitive candidate for the position.   Based on an objective view of who's in the race and what they bring, he's going to be very tough to beat out.

The other factor that has not been discussed much is LDR's development.  Everyone is assuming that the same LDR strolls out and runs the same offense. That will not be the case. He's as likely to show improvement as the other players around him.

• WernerIsTentative likes this

#20 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:03 PM

If del rio is the best we have then I hope he starts. I hope to god that he isn't the best we have though.

Amen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users