• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

I didn't even realize Holbrook was out until just recently....

Apparently, O'Sullivan's name is being tossed around as a replacement. My understanding is that he makes $1.5 million/yr here right now and would have to pay us $1 million if he leaves prior to July 2017. 

We might be looking at a little cash infusion here, folks: 

1. O'Sullivan's 1.5 million contract replaced with something in the range of $250,000-$500,000 by hiring Will Coggin, an assistant at Mississippi St who has familiarity, if not a relationship with Stricklin. The assistant coach at Louisville or Vanderbilt could also be options?

2. O'Sullivan pays us back $1 million on his way out the door. 

3. Baseball stadium renovation plans likely put on indefinite hold. Costs can potentially be funneled to additional football projects?

Something to think about and keep an eye on...

Maybe 2222, GatorUrf, Werner, or some others with an insider pulse on UAA dealings could chime in and tell us how likely any of this would be? 

#2 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

From Pat Dooley's twitter:

Talked to many people close to Kevin O'Sullivan and Sully to SC is not happening for a # of reasons. Not sure it ever had a real genesis.

Welp....

• vulcan_alex likes this

#3 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

I'm afraid O'Sullivan's agent is going to argue he should get paid.

Since 2009:

4 SEC titles

2 SEC tourney titles
5 SEC east titles.
National runner up
5 trips to Omaha.

He's also dominated rivals FSU and Miami, and recruited at an elite level.

How will Stricklin respond to his demands? It's not just personal compensation - as long as he's here, there's also going to be pressure to improve the baseball facilities. 

What is our position going to be on these issues? 

#4 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

Stop hyperventilating. Sully isn't leaving. Stadium upgrades are in the works.
  • vulcan_alex likes this

#5 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

I didn't even realize Holbrook was out until just recently....

Apparently, O'Sullivan's name is being tossed around as a replacement. My understanding is that he makes $1.5 million/yr here right now and would have to pay us $1 million if he leaves prior to July 2017. 

We might be looking at a little cash infusion here, folks: 

1. O'Sullivan's 1.5 million contract replaced with something in the range of $250,000-$500,000 by hiring Will Coggin, an assistant at Mississippi St who has familiarity, if not a relationship with Stricklin. The assistant coach at Louisville or Vanderbilt could also be options?

2. O'Sullivan pays us back $1 million on his way out the door. 

3. Baseball stadium renovation plans likely put on indefinite hold. Costs can potentially be funneled to additional football projects?

Something to think about and keep an eye on...

Maybe 2222, GatorUrf, Werner, or some others with an insider pulse on UAA dealings could chime in and tell us how likely any of this would be? 

Forget about delaying the renovation, I bet it is an SEC type requirement.  Better TV facilities, better locker rooms etc.  We are behind here a lot for a team that hosts regionals etc.  Football gets all the money it needs.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#6 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

Since 2009:

4 SEC titles

2 SEC tourney titles
5 SEC east titles.
National runner up
5 trips to Omaha.

How will Stricklin respond to his demands? It's not just personal compensation - as long as he's here, there's also going to be pressure to improve the baseball facilities. 

I don't have the information on other SEC coaches but $1.5M might be more than many MLB managers. IMO he IS getting paid, a lot. How about actually winning a NC for a change. We are DUE.

• Wuerffel4Pres likes this

#7 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

...$1.5M might be more than many MLB managers. IMO he IS getting paid, a lot. How about actually winning a NC for a change. We are DUE.

This is because the position from which O'Sullivan and his agent have negotiated is that he already is a NC type of coach. 

It's what's known as "eventuality leverage" and it occurs when a coach has performed at such a level that a reasonable person would deduce that winning the ultimate championship is simply a matter of time. In other words, all the other factors are on point and it's thought that a bad bounce of the ball, bad match up, untimely injury, etc., has prevented championship fruition. It's assumed that, everything else remaining the same, said coach will eventually win the title. 

An example of a coach in football who can negotiate with eventuality leverage is Jim Harbaugh. 

O'Sullivan's case will only be stronger after the turnaround he engineered this year following the slow start. If we get to Omaha again, his agent is going to have some big time ammunition and Stricklin is going to have a decision to make. 

South Carolina seems to value baseball more than us and it might be worth it to let them be saddled with his eventuality premium (they would then have less to spend on football projects for Muschamp; thus weakening an East division foe in the process). That said, according to Dooley, this is apparently not going to happen. 

#8 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Football gets all the money it needs.

All due respect, because you're a knowledgeable poster, Vulcan, and I like you, but has this been proven? 

I feel like the poster 2222 might be able to shed more light on this, but my inclination is that football has been underfunded relative to rivals. I think sometimes statistics are posted that compare our numbers to a conference-wide, or even NCAA, average. But we aren't competing with all those teams - we're competing with a smaller subset comprising the most elite programs. 

Maybe our football spending is on par with that elite subset, but it hasn't "felt" like it from my neck of the woods. 

#9 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

In my opinion, there is no entity or organization that could not do more if given additional funds.  I would be willing to bet that McElwain is lobbying for additional spending.  Facilities upgrades are in the works, but additional support staff could be a difference maker.

It's hard to nail down budgets as each institution does the accounting slightly differently.  There are several line items that are used by multiple or even all sports.  Examples are compliance & sports administration, human resources, utilities, insurance, general administration, maintenance, information technology...the list goes on and on.  These costs can add up well into the millions.  Each school has a different method of appropriating these to individual sports budgets or may not assign them to any sport.

Having said that, here are the reported 2015 (most recent year data is available) football budgets of Florida and a few of our rivals.  I added line items that are probably mostly related to football due to the large number of athletes participating in the sport.

Expenses

LSU $30,463,660

Florida $32,048,390

FSU $42,457,103

Alabama $56,214,376

Operating Expenses

LSU $3,990,545

FSU $6,595,397

Alabama $7,222,432

Florida $8,606,930

Student Aid - All Men's Sports

​FSU $5,408,965

Florida $5,727,309

Alabama $7,309,795

LSU $7,972,308

Recruiting Expenses ​- All Men's Sports

FSU $1,069,374

LSU $1,367,641

Florida $1,401,267

Alabama $2,227,636

Not Allocated by Gender/Sport

FSU $23,954,904

Florida $33,747,361

Alabama $35,259,271

LSU $39,430,913

The first category titled simply football expenses definitively shows that Alabama massively outspends everyone else.  Florida spends more than LSU, but less than FSU.

If we add up all of the categories then we are capturing some expenses from other men's sports.  However, the majority of the expenses are football related simply because football has so many more athletes and personnel than all the other men's sports.  Adding in these expenses may show a more accurate picture of the true expenses of the football programs.  With this data I added a couple of national programs for comparison.

Oregon $47,673,797

Texas $66,460,286

Georgia $75,109,513

Southern Cal $77,486,939

FSU $79,485,743

Florida $81,531,257

LSU $83,225,067

Michigan $83,435,231

Clemson $84,914,878

Alabama $112,405,152

Ohio State $113,212,362

Yes, I did double check the Oregon and Texas numbers, I am as shocked as you are.

Alabama and Ohio State are massively outspending everyone else.  The data also shows that Florida, FSU and LSU are spending very similar amounts.  The difference between FSU and LSU is less than 4.5%.  Florida is at the high range of schools not named Alabama or Ohio State.

The difference between the Gators budget and FSU or Michigan's budget is fairly insignificant.  However, Saban and Meyer have a huge advantage over everyone else.

#10 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Sully isn't going anywhere. 

With Stricklin leading Florida’s athletic department and taking charge of the recently announced $100 million facilities plan — which includes massive renovations to spartan McKethan Stadium, ones that Rogers pegs at $25-30 million — it is likely, too, that O’Sullivan’s program will get the non-salary financial support that many Florida fans have clamored for as the Gators have turned into a recruiting juggernaut and colossus on the field.

#11 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

Since 2009:

4 SEC titles

2 SEC tourney titles
5 SEC east titles.
National runner up
5 trips to Omaha.

UF baseball coach Kevin O'Sullivan becomes highest-paid college baseball coach

It looks like Kevin O'Sullivan isn't leaving Gainesville any time soon.

The University of Florida baseball coach, heading into his 10th season at UF, signed a 10-year contract extension over the summer that keeps him with the Gators until at least 2025 and makes him the highest-paid college baseball coach in the country, the Miami Herald confirmed on Wednesday. 

The details of the contract: $1.25 million per year along with a $500,000 signing bonus. The contract also has a buyout clause worth $500,000 for each year remaining on the deal.

Kendall Rogers of D1Baseball was the first to report the contract extension.

O'Sullivan has revolutionized the Gators baseball program since he took over for Pat McMahon in 2008. Florida has won five total Southeastern Conference titles (three regular season championships, two tournament championships) and reached the NCAA Tournament in all nine years under O'Sullivan, the only school to do so during that time. The Gators have also reached the College World Series five times, finishing as the runner up in 2011. He has a UF-best .677 winning percentage since taking over at UF (396-189) with just one losing season (2013; 29-30 record). His 396 wins are the third-most in Florida history, trailing Joe Arnold (434) and Dave Fuller (557).

Sixty-nine of O'Sullivan's players at Florida have gone on to be selected in the Major League Baseball Draft, including eight in the 2016 draft this past June.

He has brought in top-10 recruiting classes every season, including three top-ranked classes (2009, 2013, 2015). UF's 12-member recruiting class this year was ranked sixth by Collegiate Baseball and has six players who were selected in June's draft but opted to come to school instead.

Florida is coming off a 52-16 season in which it set a school record for regular-season wins before being bounced from the College World Series after opening losses to eventual NCAA Champion Coastal Carolina and Texas Tech.

O'Sullivan's contract extension is another step that shows Florida's commitment to keeping the baseball program as one of the elite programs in the country.

Earlier this month, the University Athletic Association announced that a renovation to the baseball complex at McKethan Stadium is part of its $100 million master facility plan.

Additions to the baseball stadium include new club seating, a second-level concourse, an expanded press box and improved player amenities.

Incoming athletics director Scott Stricklin, who will be replacing Jeremy Foley beginning Nov. 1, also has a vested interest in baseball, having previously served as Auburn’s baseball contact as an associate media relations director from 1993-98. He also worked for the Mississippi State baseball team’s media department when he was a student there.

"I love college baseball," Stricklin said Tuesday. "I've seen a lot of SEC baseball games from my roles in different schools in the past, and I'm really excited to work with Sully and what he's got built here. And I'm looking forward to getting more details on what the vision is from the updating the baseball stadium. I think it's a great sport; right? And Florida's been really good at it, and I think we're going to make sure this facility matches that."

Posted by Jordan McPherson 09/28/2016 at 03:38 PM | Permalink

#12 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,485 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

This Super Regional showcased the high level organization and baseball program Coach Sullivan has built in Gainesville.  If only he could do more to control the weather!

#13 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

I don't have any insider information about this or significant insights, but my personal opinion is that Sully deserves to be the highest paid coach. Maybe there are some who say that he doesn't because he hasn't won the national championship... But I think it is very rare that the best team in baseball actually wins the NC, just like in basketball. The fact that Davidson made it to a super regional demonstrates that perfectly, as does coastal carolinas run in the tournament last year.

If they shortened the regular season and changed the world series in Omaha to be an 8 team playoff with best of 5 or best of 7 matchups, I think we would have won one or two by now. Luck plays too much into it right now, in my opinion.

Anyway. Sully deserves it because baseball has been extremely entertaining since he got here for us gator fans who watch it. We are making deep runs and competing for/winning SEC championships every year. I love it.
  • WernerIsTentative, mtn2top, Gator2222 and 1 other like this

#14 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

I agree WT. 

#15 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

I don't have any insider information about this or significant insights, but my personal opinion is that Sully deserves to be the highest paid coach. Maybe there are some who say that he doesn't because he hasn't won the national championship... But I think it is very rare that the best team in baseball actually wins the NC, just like in basketball. The fact that Davidson made it to a super regional demonstrates that perfectly, as does coastal carolinas run in the tournament last year.

If they shortened the regular season and changed the world series in Omaha to be an 8 team playoff with best of 5 or best of 7 matchups, I think we would have won one or two by now. Luck plays too much into it right now, in my opinion.

Anyway. Sully deserves it because baseball has been extremely entertaining since he got here for us gator fans who watch it. We are making deep runs and competing for/winning SEC championships every year. I love it.

He should, and he does. It's not like he is underpaid. $1.5M says it all. So whats the argument?

• mtn2top likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users