Close Open
Close Open
Photo

Why are 5 of the 6 top threads about Tennessee?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

This isn't VolNation...

I know some will say it's hypocritical for me to make this type of comment because I occasionally reference Florida State, but there's a big difference. FSU is our primary rival and we've only beaten them once since 2010. How we fare in that rivalry directly affects the quality of our recruiting, which we all know is the lifeblood of any program. A lot of what I've posted about FSU is intended to draw comparisons and highlight deficiencies such that they can be adequately addressed and make us more competitive. 

Tennessee is an entirely different animal. Have we had a rivalry with them? I would say that in the 90's it became somewhat of a rivalry just because the winner of that game was virtually a lock to go to Atlanta (and most likely win the conference championship). However, it's not a rivalry like FSU that directly affects the fortunes of our program. We could lose to UT every year and still be in position to get to Atlanta (they play Alabama every year and haven't beaten them in nearly a decade, so they basically have a 1 game margin of error baked in) and, more importantly, recruit at a high level. No offense to the Tennessee fans on here, but their program just hasn't accomplished anything of significance since 1998 to make consistently beating them as valuable as other programs. Certainly not even close to the same ballpark as FSU. The Noles would have destroyed Tennessee since 2010. 

If Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Urban Meyer are doing something different, unique, etc., we need to pay attention. Butch Jones and UT? Not so much. They just haven't proven that they're worth the attention at this point. They also have such low quality, in-state high school football that they are forced to recruit nationally (traditionally UT has allocated larger portions of their budget for longer recruiting trips to California, for example...Clausen, Ainge, Foster, etc. all products of west coast investment...they also used to schedule a lot of home-and-home's with Pac 12 teams to increase exposure). While they get some FL kids here and there, they aren't going to ever be the in-state competitor that FSU, Alabama, UGA will be...let's just be honest about that. 

So, I just don't see why Tennessee fans think we even care about developments within their program right now? It's really not much different than something that would happen at Arkansas, Nebraska, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc....it doesn't affect us, so please stop crowding our board with updates. 

Our priority is winning back the state of FL (which based on current recruiting trends it seems we are in position to do). We are focused on increasing the amount of talent we pull away from FSU, Alabama, etc., and then beating them on the field. That's just the reality of our moment right now. Why? Because if we are out-recruiting FSU and beating them consistently, it means we're going to have as much talent as anyone in the country and have a great chance to beat anyone we play, including Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc. The same cannot be said for UT - being a program that out recruits UT and beats them consistently is worth roughly an Outback or Music City Bowl right now - some years a Citrus, perhaps. But targeting UT isn't going to get us in the national title picture. 

So, give it up and understand you don't really matter. All due respect. 

• WernerIsTentative likes this

#2 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

lmao

#3 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Here are the answers:

Many real Gator fans post at some other board, many who were here now prefer to chat.

Several trolls have been banned from other sites and not this one.

This combination explains the observation.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#4 Alvin York

Alvin York

Besa

• Members
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

This isn't VolNation...

I know some will say it's hypocritical for me to make this type of comment because I occasionally reference Florida State, but there's a big difference. FSU is our primary rival and we've only beaten them once since 2010. How we fare in that rivalry directly affects the quality of our recruiting, which we all know is the lifeblood of any program. A lot of what I've posted about FSU is intended to draw comparisons and highlight deficiencies such that they can be adequately addressed and make us more competitive. 

Tennessee is an entirely different animal. Have we had a rivalry with them? I would say that in the 90's it became somewhat of a rivalry just because the winner of that game was virtually a lock to go to Atlanta (and most likely win the conference championship). However, it's not a rivalry like FSU that directly affects the fortunes of our program. We could lose to UT every year and still be in position to get to Atlanta (they play Alabama every year and haven't beaten them in nearly a decade, so they basically have a 1 game margin of error baked in) and, more importantly, recruit at a high level. No offense to the Tennessee fans on here, but their program just hasn't accomplished anything of significance since 1998 to make consistently beating them as valuable as other programs. Certainly not even close to the same ballpark as FSU. The Noles would have destroyed Tennessee since 2010. 

If Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Urban Meyer are doing something different, unique, etc., we need to pay attention. Butch Jones and UT? Not so much. They just haven't proven that they're worth the attention at this point. They also have such low quality, in-state high school football that they are forced to recruit nationally (traditionally UT has allocated larger portions of their budget for longer recruiting trips to California, for example...Clausen, Ainge, Foster, etc. all products of west coast investment...they also used to schedule a lot of home-and-home's with Pac 12 teams to increase exposure). While they get some FL kids here and there, they aren't going to ever be the in-state competitor that FSU, Alabama, UGA will be...let's just be honest about that. 

So, I just don't see why Tennessee fans think we even care about developments within their program right now? It's really not much different than something that would happen at Arkansas, Nebraska, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc....it doesn't affect us, so please stop crowding our board with updates. 

Our priority is winning back the state of FL (which based on current recruiting trends it seems we are in position to do). We are focused on increasing the amount of talent we pull away from FSU, Alabama, etc., and then beating them on the field. That's just the reality of our moment right now. Why? Because if we are out-recruiting FSU and beating them consistently, it means we're going to have as much talent as anyone in the country and have a great chance to beat anyone we play, including Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc. The same cannot be said for UT - being a program that out recruits UT and beats them consistently is worth roughly an Outback or Music City Bowl right now - some years a Citrus, perhaps. But targeting UT isn't going to get us in the national title picture. 

Why are 5 of the 6 top threads about Tennessee?

Because the Tennessee Volunteers football team, program, fans, players, coaches and history are far more interesting and entertaining than the University of Florida. 

Your real complaint is you have to share the media spotlight and Florida citizen concern among equal or superior teams like University of Miami, Florida State and up and comping South Florida. 

Still Our Royal Family!!

Posted Image

#5 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

Your real complaint is you have to share the media spotlight and Florida citizen concern among equal or superior teams like University of Miami, Florida State and up and comping South Florida. 

Huh? 

In English, please...I don't speak Hillbilly. 

Seriously, I have no clue what you're even trying to say here. I just spent 5 paragraphs explaining why it's to our benefit to keep more of an eye on Florida State.

No offense, but some of the Tennessee fans on here seem to be stuck in the 90's. My advice to UT would be to end the Alabama streak and focus on "Moneyball"-style recruiting strategies. For a state so devoid of prep talent, it's to their advantage to implement national "diamond in the rough" strategies. Our programs aren't really relatable, though. Yes, UT is an East Division opponent, so beating them makes the path to Atlanta more direct. However, our main focus should be knocking off FSU and retaking control of the state of FL. If we do that, we aren't going to have many issues winning the SEC East, or a lot of other things. 

As I said above, all due respect to the Tennessee program, but we have bigger, more important fish to fry. 

#6 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:29 PM

So, I was just reading Dooley's Back Nine column and he tossed in this gem, which seems appropriate here: 

Is it fair the Vols play Alabama and LSU this year while Kentucky gets Ole Miss and Mississippi State? Of course not. But it’s not a fair system. (Really, Tennessee, does it matter who you play because you are 4-22 against the West over the last 10 years?)

4-22, guys....

I mean, look, the West has been the tougher side and we certainly haven't had a stellar record of late, but we beat Ole Miss in 2015 and knocked off LSU in Baton Rouge last year...that's why we went to Atlanta twice and UT didn't. 

The Vols have to end the Alabama dominance or they are essentially beginning each SEC race with a 1 game margin of error instead of 2 even if they beat us. Obviously, much easier said than done and not many have fared well against the Tide since 08, including us, but we don't play them every year. So why is all of UT's focus still on us as though it's 1996? 

Vol fans need to get their priorities straight. They thought beating us was the key to happiness, but I tried to warn them it wasn't. I knew it would be hollow. They beat us after 11 or 12 years...whatever it was...and didn't even get to Atlanta, lol. If they can't improve their performance against the West, any future wins against us will be just as hollow. 

#7 Alvin York

Alvin York

Besa

• Members
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

Huh? 

In English, please...I don't speak Hillbilly. 

Seriously, I have no clue what you're even trying to say here. I just spent 5 paragraphs explaining why it's to our benefit to keep more of an eye on Florida State.

No offense, but some of the Tennessee fans on here seem to be stuck in the 90's. My advice to UT would be to end the Alabama streak and focus on "Moneyball"-style recruiting strategies. For a state so devoid of prep talent, it's to their advantage to implement national "diamond in the rough" strategies. Our programs aren't really relatable, though. Yes, UT is an East Division opponent, so beating them makes the path to Atlanta more direct. However, our main focus should be knocking off FSU and retaking control of the state of FL. If we do that, we aren't going to have many issues winning the SEC East, or a lot of other things. 

As I said above, all due respect to the Tennessee program, but we have bigger, more important fish to fry. 

Oh, yeah? Did you forget your Tennessee fish stunk up the whole state of Florida last year?

Still Our Royal Family!!

Posted Image

#8 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Oh, yeah? Did you forget your Tennessee fish stunk up the whole state of Florida last year?

FSU would've destroyed Tennessee last year (and pretty much every year since 2010, for that matter). Miami might have gotten over on you, too. USF...maybe? Didn't they beat USCjr who beat you? How is that stinking up the whole state of Florida? 

Beating us got you what, exactly? 

You can't beat Alabama, so you can beat us every year and we'll still have a decent chance to appear in Atlanta. How is it that we just went through one of the worst stretches in our program's recent history from 2010-2016 and you still didn't get to Atlanta once? What does that say about your program? Mizzou made it twice and they are garbage. 

I just don't get the obsession. It should be directed toward Tuscaloosa and not choking against lower tier teams like USCjr. We don't recruit against you. Our game with each other isn't as consequential for either program as Tennessee fans want it to be, for some weird reason. Get over it. 

If the football gods told me we can lose to Tennessee the next 3 years straight and beat FSU the next 3 years, I would take it and run. That would mean our recruiting would likely sky rocket back to the most elite level (top 5 classes) and we'd still have a decent chance to both get back to Atlanta and make the playoffs, especially given how early in the season we play UT. Obviously, I want to win all our games, but I'm just illustrating the point - beating UT isn't going to make or break our season these days. It just is what it is. Accept it and move on...stop starting 50 threads on every little development within an inconsequential program. 

#9 Alvin York

Alvin York

Besa

• Members
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:46 PM

Beating you destroyed your winning streak and heralded our coming ascendency over Florida.

By the way, Lawrence, your not fooling anybody with your new I'm a Gung Ho Bad News Macho Gator fan talking trash, waving the Florida fan and trumpeting your new loyal Gator fan persona

You're still the same Nole apologist and admirer who has consistently complained and criticized the Florida coaches, players and administration. 

Still Our Royal Family!!

Posted Image

#10 Jack O' Diamonds

Jack O' Diamonds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

The main reason for all the FSU and Tennessee threads is because this board has no moderators. The next reason is because if it didn't have these threads  there would be no one else posting here. No posts, no income.. 

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...

#11 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:54 AM

Beating you destroyed your winning streak and heralded our coming ascendency over Florida.

By the way, Lawrence, your not fooling anybody with your new I'm a Gung Ho Bad News Macho Gator fan talking trash, waving the Florida fan and trumpeting your new loyal Gator fan persona

You're still the same Nole apologist and admirer who has consistently complained and criticized the Florida coaches, players and administration. 

Huh? 

I just call it like I see it. We haven't beaten FSU much since 2010 and it's affected our recruiting. FSU also made some timely investments relative to their infrastructure as they transitioned from Bowden to Fisher. If you've read my posts, all I've ever wanted is 1.) football to be the priority within the department as opposed to an "All Sports" mentality, 2.) improved infrastructure, 3.) improved recruiting, and 4.) improved offense. 

Numbers 2 and 3 are happening. There's a good chance that, with the addition of Zaire, number 4 will occur. Number 1 probably won't ever happen - I seem to be in a pretty distinct minority there - but I can live with 3 out of 4....that will mean there is great improvement in our football product at the end of the day. 

My purpose was never to "troll" our program as some suggest. It was to address perceived shortcomings. If the areas I was b-tching about are being addressed, then I'm not going to complain. I don't think some of the people on here understand me very well - I am actually an optimist and will be highly supportive if the program is being run the proper way. I posted at GatorCountry from roughly 2005-2013 before coming here (albeit under a different handle). Do you really think I would have survived 9 years in that sunshine-pumper's paradise if my intent was to troll UF? I did eventually get banned in 2013 for writing, "Foley can take his All Sports trophies and shove them up his -ss." I shouldn't have used profanity - that's on me - but, if you recall, that was our worst season since the 70's, emotions were fraught, and I just lost my cool with a couple idiots over there who refused to acknowledge we had a huge problem. But the reality is that there wasn't much I took exception to in that era. I loved Urban Meyer and the way he recruited. My only complaints back then were that 1.) Foley and the board wasn't taking our infrastructure situation seriously enough (which, let's face it, turned out to be true) and 2.) Tebow was receiving too much of the credit when, in reality, it was Harvin who sparked that offense (again, I feel this was proven true in 2009). So, I don't think it's fair to paint me in the light some have attempted. Yes, I use FSU to draw certain comparisons, but that's because I badly want to close the gap and start consistently beating them again. And I do believe we have an opportunity now to begin doing that given the current uptick in recruiting and the fact that we finally got a credible QB in here who can help sell our offense.

As I wrote before, Zaire changes everything. It's not that he's some type of "superman" at QB....people who think that are missing my point. It's that he finally brings a level of credibility to the position - even if that simply means creating a higher level of competition within the unit and forcing, say, Franks or Allen to produce at levels they otherwise would not. Personally, I don't buy into Franks. Dooley seems to believe he'll be the starter against Michigan, but I just don't see it - he isn't that good, in my opinion, and Zaire has shown the ability to manage the position in fairly big games (Texas vs. ND). And Del Rio and Trask are complete garbage to me, so I won't even bother discussing them - I wish they'd just leave the program and clear space on our roster, honestly. But, anyway, we'll see what happens. Zaire coming here is important, though....anyone who can't see that just doesn't understand the dynamics within our program at this juncture. 

The irony here, Alvin, is that I've never felt you were actually a Tennessee fan. I think you're a fellow Gator who has created an ongoing parody of a bumbling, goofy Vol fan. I wasn't here on the old board, but judging from some people's comments about the old days of this message board, I would think you're probably a poster from that era and are carrying on this ridiculous schtick because that guy Ox broke you off at their other board. I've had some PM's from some people about both the old GSMB and Ox's other board, and it just seems to fit with some of the stuff people were telling me. To me, the only legit Vol fans on here are orange and JHCRANE. 

#12 Alvin York

Alvin York

Besa

• Members
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

Huh? 

I just call it like I see it. We haven't beaten FSU much since 2010 and it's affected our recruiting. FSU also made some timely investments relative to their infrastructure as they transitioned from Bowden to Fisher. If you've read my posts, all I've ever wanted is 1.) football to be the priority within the department as opposed to an "All Sports" mentality, 2.) improved infrastructure, 3.) improved recruiting, and 4.) improved offense. 

Numbers 2 and 3 are happening. There's a good chance that, with the addition of Zaire, number 4 will occur. Number 1 probably won't ever happen - I seem to be in a pretty distinct minority there - but I can live with 3 out of 4....that will mean there is great improvement in our football product at the end of the day. 

My purpose was never to "troll" our program as some suggest. It was to address perceived shortcomings. If the areas I was b-tching about are being addressed, then I'm not going to complain. I don't think some of the people on here understand me very well - I am actually an optimist and will be highly supportive if the program is being run the proper way. I posted at GatorCountry from roughly 2005-2013 before coming here (albeit under a different handle). Do you really think I would have survived 9 years in that sunshine-pumper's paradise if my intent was to troll UF? I did eventually get banned in 2013 for writing, "Foley can take his All Sports trophies and shove them up his -ss." I shouldn't have used profanity - that's on me - but, if you recall, that was our worst season since the 70's, emotions were fraught, and I just lost my cool with a couple idiots over there who refused to acknowledge we had a huge problem. But the reality is that there wasn't much I took exception to in that era. I loved Urban Meyer and the way he recruited. My only complaints back then were that 1.) Foley and the board wasn't taking our infrastructure situation seriously enough (which, let's face it, turned out to be true) and 2.) Tebow was receiving too much of the credit when, in reality, it was Harvin who sparked that offense (again, I feel this was proven true in 2009). So, I don't think it's fair to paint me in the light some have attempted. Yes, I use FSU to draw certain comparisons, but that's because I badly want to close the gap and start consistently beating them again. And I do believe we have an opportunity now to begin doing that given the current uptick in recruiting and the fact that we finally got a credible QB in here who can help sell our offense.

As I wrote before, Zaire changes everything. It's not that he's some type of "superman" at QB....people who think that are missing my point. It's that he finally brings a level of credibility to the position - even if that simply means creating a higher level of competition within the unit and forcing, say, Franks or Allen to produce at levels they otherwise would not. Personally, I don't buy into Franks. Dooley seems to believe he'll be the starter against Michigan, but I just don't see it - he isn't that good, in my opinion, and Zaire has shown the ability to manage the position in fairly big games (Texas vs. ND). And Del Rio and Trask are complete garbage to me, so I won't even bother discussing them - I wish they'd just leave the program and clear space on our roster, honestly. But, anyway, we'll see what happens. Zaire coming here is important, though....anyone who can't see that just doesn't understand the dynamics within our program at this juncture. 

The irony here, Alvin, is that I've never felt you were actually a Tennessee fan. I think you're a fellow Gator who has created an ongoing parody of a bumbling, goofy Vol fan. I wasn't here on the old board, but judging from some people's comments about the old days of this message board, I would think you're probably a poster from that era and are carrying on this ridiculous schtick because that guy Ox broke you off at their other board. I've had some PM's from some people about both the old GSMB and Ox's other board, and it just seems to fit with some of the stuff people were telling me. To me, the only legit Vol fans on here are orange and JHCRANE. 

Lordy, Lordy, I've been finally exposed. I am a fellow Gator, I wear jorts to synagogue and I sing "We are the Boys of Old Florida" every morning after breakfast.

Nice try at turning the tables, Lawrence, but its not going to wash. 

Everybody can see through your miserable attempt at playing loyal super patriot Gator who's trying to win friends and influence people. I know and even these brain dead ignorant JORT Crackers know you're a wannabe Nole who desperately tries to excuse, apologize and even stealthily praise the children of Bobby Bowden. You have left have left your tracks on the GSMB of Judas Noledom worship.

Still Our Royal Family!!

Posted Image

#13 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

No Vol fan would have a disparaging picture of their fans that has been notoriously ridiculed on the internet labeled as "Still Our Royal Family!!!" as their sig. 

Also, the handle conveniently lends itself to rhyming with "Dork." 

Given all the military and judeo-christian philosophical references that are part of the incredibly weak attempts at humor, it would seem whoever the poster is probably is a little older than average, served in the military, and falls into the lower-middle class socioeconomic category. This is someone who probably considers eating stale food at a local VFW post a big Friday night. 

Notice, too, that Dork's posts never provide any real info about the UT program, like orange's or JHCRANE. That's because he doesn't actually follow it enough to have any true insight. It's all just generalized caricatures serving as underhanded lobs for Gator Nation to knock out of the park. He might as well put that stuff on a tee. "Peyton Manning THE GREAT"...because he knows Peyton went winless against us and is an easy target. Or talking about how we "fear" the Tennessee program when they've beaten us 1 time in like 12 years and really don't even cross paths with us often in recruiting. It's just obvious, in my opinion, but maybe others are slower and enjoy that kind of silly, low brow humor. Dork reminds me of one of those really cheesy shows you see advertised at places in Gatlinburg...the kind where you sort of cringe and feel embarrassed for the people actually doing it. 

At least when that guy Ox does his Catmania routine, it's funny and clever. This is just some schlub without much coin who is hung up on the military and religious issues in his real life....maybe Stephenpe? 

#14 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

You like movies about gladiators?

• Gator2222 likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#15 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

The main reason for all the FSU and Tennessee threads is because this board has no moderators. The next reason is because if it didn't have these threads  there would be no one else posting here. No posts, no income.. 

If everyone would simply ignore the dip****s, it may make for some better conversation.  But most here react as intended and that's by responding with long drawn out posts reacting to them.  I know.  I majored in trolling for two semesters.

• gator_tom likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#16 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Looks and sounds like LOF (little obscure fart) doesn't like to be outposted. so the little fart whines like a FSU fan in 1998.  Go play in the street little boy!!

#17 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

Looks and sounds like LOF (little obscure fart) doesn't like to be outposted. so the little fart whines like a FSU fan in 1998.  Go play in the street little boy!!

It has nothing to do with being "outposted"....it's about flooding a Florida Gator board with information about Tennessee. 

#18 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

like you do with FSU info??

#19 Alvin York

Alvin York

Besa

• Members
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

Is it just me or has the big mouth terror, Lawrence of Florida, morphed into a LITTLE WHINY B*I*T*C*H?

doctorandpatient-youve-been-diagnosed-wi

Still Our Royal Family!!

Posted Image

#20 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

life.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic