• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

This is something that's been weighing on my mind for a while. I've alluded to it in some other posts, but I've always been hesitant to start an actual thread on it because it's a sensitive subject and I wasn't sure the board could discuss it in a mature, responsible manner. I didn't want to be seen as a race-baiting troll, in other words. That said, I think it needs to be discussed and, this being the dead part of the offseason, it's as good a time as any: 

We are the only major program to have at least 3 Heisman trophy winners and not have one that is African American. Further, not only are our 3 winners all white, they are also all the sons of ministers; two of which were particularly outspoken about their Christian faith. 

This is a problem, in my opinion. Especially when you consider the high rate at which African American players impact the modern game. It just doesn't make sense. 

We've been treated to outstanding play by some special African American players over the years - Wes Chandler, Emmitt Smith, Percy Harvin all come to mind - yet none of them could get a Heisman push here. Why? 

With 2 of our winners, Wuerffel and Tebow, I don't believe they were even the most important players on the offense. Fred Taylor, Ike Hilliard, Reidel Anthony were all much more talented and impactful than the weak-armed Wuerffel. Any QB could have had success surrounded by that cast. Tebow got the push and hype from 06-09, but Harvin was clearly the best player on that offense. Notice Tebow didn't win anything without Harvin. Percy was electric and might be my favorite Gator of all time, yet the UAA largely ignored him. 

Even with the 2001 team, when Grossman was given a strong campaign, I always felt Jabar and Reche made that offense work. Grossman was awful the following year without them. And it's not like he didn't have anything to work with - he still had Jacobs running routes for him, if I recall. Yet, Jabar and Reche were second-fiddle in the marketing of that team. 

Leak actually won the national title here, unlike Grossman, yet got booed off the field and received no push whatsoever. 

I also can't help but think about that whole Cam Newton vs. John Brantley situation. Look who won out and the effect it had on our program. 

Most recently, Callaway has clearly been the best playmaker on the team, yet he wasn't even made available to the press until like November of this past year. I'd watched him score all kinds of touchdowns for a year and a half before I was even able to hear the kid's voice for the first time. 

For some reason, the only way you're allowed to be made the face of our football program and given a national advertising campaign is if you're Caucasian, pray after touchdowns, and never get in any trouble. Notice that Gaffney, Harvin, and even now Callaway all had incidents in their past. It's like the UAA won't do business with you from a marketing perspective if you don't perfectly align with its fake, highly contrived, ridiculous facade. I believe this does affect recruiting in a roundabout way. Recruits and their handlers aren't blind as to whose brands get pushed at a given program. FSU has 3 Heisman winners, too....one was a really well-rounded African American young man who wound up not even playing professional football (went to NBA instead), one was an older, white guy, and another was an ultra-talented, future #1 draft pick with more of a larger-than-life, lightning rod personality. Peter Warrick was also given a huge push despite his troubles. In other words, they've demonstrated the ability to market all types of athletes. Why can't we? 

It has to change. Our leadership needs to stop assuming that the only head coaches who can succeed here are folksy types who produce a good soundbyte for the press (Meyer already blew that notion out of the water) and the only star players the fans will embrace are white, evangelical Christians. Let's embrace diversity and backgrounds of all types, and become a stronger program for it. 

#2 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

"The only star players the fans will embrace are white..." You know that's not true.. I urge people not to respond to the topic in this thread. As there are about 50 reasons that any logical person could find to debunk everything lawrence is saying. We all know what they are. He knows what they are too. Please don't even respond.

How about that softball thread lawrence. You know... the one where your entire premise was that UF spends a lot more on sports like softball and how that's somehow a huge problem for the sports program? And then when you are showed that FSU actually spends a greater percentage on softball you stop responding to the thread. What's up with that? 

Time to admit you are wrong about the "florida spends way too much resources on other sports" which is one of your top 3 things you like to complain about. Go ahead. Say it. "I was wrong to constantly complain about something when I decided to make up my own facts about the subject." Go ahead. Say it.

• OldGatorAlum likes this

#3 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

Better yet - everyone just report it as the racist flame thread that it is. 

• WernerIsTentative likes this

#4 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

Too long. Didn't read.

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#5 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

"The only star players the fans will embrace are white..." You know that's not true.. I urge people not to respond to the topic in this thread. As there are about 50 reasons that any logical person could find to debunk everything lawrence is saying. We all know what they are. He knows what they are too. Please don't even respond.

I didn't say it was true for the fans, I was saying that's how the dweebs at the UAA view it. I think there are plenty of fans ready for a Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Deshaun Watson type of revolution at QB. 

The facts don't lie - we are the only major program to have 3 Heisman winners and not one that's a minority. Successful marketing/lobbying campaigns are a big part of the Heisman process and, for whatever reason, some of our better African American players haven't gotten a strong push. 

Percy is a great example. People forget that Percy's mom moved down to Gainesville from Virginia to be with him when he came here. I've been told that she voiced some frustration after the 2007 season that the program had become too Tebow-centric, and her son's contributions were being overlooked. A couple UAA staff members offered to sit down with the Harvins and discuss a possible Heisman campaign for Percy, but made it clear that Tebow would be given a lion's share of the resources in hopes of making him the first back-to-back winner since Archie Bunker. This didn't make sense to the Harvins since they had watched USC successfully campaign for both Bush and Leinart in recent years (don't forget, Percy still had a lot of contacts at USC and admired that program - that's where he would've gone had he not chosen UF). He didn't understand why there couldn't be an equal share, but our reps explained to him that Tebowmania was simply too big to contain. So, the Harvins called off the meeting and got the heck out of here after that next season. The UAA will argue that "they offered" and "the Harvins didn't want to meet." But you have to look beyond that fact and ask why they didn't want to meet  - they knew it was a sham campaign that wouldn't be adequately financed. 

Fred Taylor, Ike Hilliard, Reidel Anthony, Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, Percy Harvin....all are owed an apology. Those are some of my all time favorite Gators; particularly Percy and Jabar. I love those two guys and they should have been the face of their teams. Instead, the UAA tries to sweep Percy's legacy under the rug by labeling him a "head case" and falsely accusing him of insubordination with some assistant coaches. Sad. Especially considering we didn't win jack without him. 

If you don't at least cringe a little when you walk by those three statues out front, then you're just not a very aware Gator fan. 

#6 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

at least you're stepping up your game

you're still full of ****

#7 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

So, on the front page, I just read that Callaway was cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession. How timely given this current discussion.

That'll be it for him...we won't hear from this guy again until pre-draft interviews. The UAA will lock him away and hide him from the media all season. 

One of the best Gator playmakers in this most recent era, yet we'll basically have experienced one or two interviews with him by the time he's done here. And we wonder why we can't recruit the big time playmakers? 

Sad, but just further illustrates the point in this thread.

#8 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

still ignoring all mentions of the softball thread? Why didn't you address the second part of my post that you just quoted?

#9 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Of course he is ignoring it. Throwing dirt on UF is his goal. Nothing more. 

#10 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

There was a Percy Harvin Campaign in 2008. It had a hard time gaining traction because Percy kept getting hurt. Has a WR of any race ever won the Heisman of any Color? Not enough "touches" LOF. 

Taylor shared time with a number of grebacat backs in 96. He didn't become a dominant back until 97 and the Gators didn't win the NC or the SEC

Caldwell and Jabar split the WR glory in 2001 and the Gators did not win the SEC or NC that year.

Everyone in Gatorland was behind Emmitt but the Gators had three mediocre years during his stay. He would have won the first Heisman had the Gators had a decent offense line and you know it. I'm sure the UAA was really racist in not building a better offensive line for him.

What you proven to be is a sexist for attacking UF womens' programs and thumbing your nose at title 9.

#11 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

I didn't say it was true for the fans, I was saying that's how the dweebs at the UAA view it. I think there are plenty of fans ready for a Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Deshaun Watson type of revolution at QB. 

The facts don't lie - we are the only major program to have 3 Heisman winners and not one that's a minority. Successful marketing/lobbying campaigns are a big part of the Heisman process and, for whatever reason, some of our better African American players haven't gotten a strong push. 

Percy is a great example. People forget that Percy's mom moved down to Gainesville from Virginia to be with him when he came here. I've been told that she voiced some frustration after the 2007 season that the program had become too Tebow-centric, and her son's contributions were being overlooked. A couple UAA staff members offered to sit down with the Harvins and discuss a possible Heisman campaign for Percy, but made it clear that Tebow would be given a lion's share of the resources in hopes of making him the first back-to-back winner since Archie Bunker. This didn't make sense to the Harvins since they had watched USC successfully campaign for both Bush and Leinart in recent years (don't forget, Percy still had a lot of contacts at USC and admired that program - that's where he would've gone had he not chosen UF). He didn't understand why there couldn't be an equal share, but our reps explained to him that Tebowmania was simply too big to contain. So, the Harvins called off the meeting and got the heck out of here after that next season. The UAA will argue that "they offered" and "the Harvins didn't want to meet." But you have to look beyond that fact and ask why they didn't want to meet  - they knew it was a sham campaign that wouldn't be adequately financed. 

Fred Taylor, Ike Hilliard, Reidel Anthony, Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, Percy Harvin....all are owed an apology. Those are some of my all time favorite Gators; particularly Percy and Jabar. I love those two guys and they should have been the face of their teams. Instead, the UAA tries to sweep Percy's legacy under the rug by labeling him a "head case" and falsely accusing him of insubordination with some assistant coaches. Sad. Especially considering we didn't win jack without him. 

If you don't at least cringe a little when you walk by those three statues out front, then you're just not a very aware Gator fan. 

More like not a racist Gator fan.  A racist according to me is one who sees race as important in every situation.  These players are Gators and as in the Army they are now green

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users