• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Apparently, they stopped to chat with Dooley, who happened to be there, about the quality of the movie's soundtrack: 

And for an oldie, anything from the soundtrack of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 which we saw Sunday. I ran into the McElwains after the movie and Jim and I were both most impressed with the music.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I mean, I get that these guys need their down time, too, but is it really the best look for the head coach at the University of Florida to be taking his wife to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at a public theater? Would Nick Saban take Terry to see that and just be sidling out of the theater; discussing the soundtrack? 

These guys get paid the big bucks to project a certain image for the program. There's nothing wrong with a little mind candy, per se, but why not build a home theater and watch that stuff in private? They've got the money. 

It just seems like a bad look. Especially given everything that's transpired with the shark photo/internet memes. There's going to be an impression that the UF coach is a bit zany. 

I know some are going to say, "Well, Lawrence, what do you want him to do? Just sit captive inside his home and never go out?" As a rough guide, I'd suggest the following: 

- Sporting events are okay. You work in the industry, you have sponsorships with industry brands, etc. However, you should be sitting in a premium area. It would be weird for the UF head coach to be seen with his wife in upper deck seats at a Magic playoff game, for example, just taking in the action. 

- Movies, as I said, should generally be private viewing. These guys live in mansions and can afford a home theater. The Obamas used to have Hollywood producers send over advanced copies for private screenings in the White House, for example. 

- Haircuts should be done privately. At that level, barbers come to you. It would be embarrassing for the head coach at UF to be sitting in a chair, waiting his turn, with other regular Joe's in some shop. Find a barber you like and pay him a premium to serve you after hours, come to your house, etc. Even the players get their line-ups done privately. It's just a bad look to be exposed in a public barber shop in this position. 

- Restaurants are okay, but, again, should offer a private dining area or at least be of a level that average people generally wouldn't mob you there anyway. This can be difficult in a one horse town like Gainesville, but places will accommodate for the right price. Nothing wrong with calling the manager and saying, "Hey so-and-so, it's Jim. I wanted to bring Karen down tonight. Would you mind staying for an extra hour after you close the doors? I'll make it worth you and your staff's while." Also, having meals catered/delivered to your home is perhaps an even better option. Especially the way this guy eats - he's opening himself up to all kinds of memes/negative social media reaction if he's ever seen stuffing his face in the normal dining sections. Fulmer probably thanks God social media wasn't a thing in his heyday. 

- Golf and tennis should be played at private, more exclusive clubs. Again, just don't need the bad imagery and mobs. 

- Shopping should be done after-hours or have a private shopper/assistant pick up something for you. Obviously today it's easier to avoid sticky situations because you can do so much shopping online. 

- Doctors/dentist visits....private appointments, after-hours. Perhaps never so paramount when dealing with something as intimate as one's health. We don't need FSU fans taking images of him at the proctologist and creating memes saying they're going to shove it up our -ss like that again in November, etc. Even before social media, it was horrible when Bowden was seen getting treatment at Shands and T-Shirts were made with cartoons showing him exiting the hospital with a gator tail attached to his rear. There's just no need. Keep it private. 

- Car issues...let assistants or the UAA handle it, since I'm pretty sure a car is provided for by the university under the terms of his contract. Similar to the barber shop issue, it's just dumb to have your head coach seen waiting for an oil change or something. Find a detailer you like and trust who will come wash it on your premises. 

So, that's kind of a rough outline for how one should conduct himself in this position. Again, it's a stressful job and these guys need some down time, but it should be done thoughtfully and in a way that won't embarrass the program.

#2 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,377 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

• gator_tom likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#3 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

You just keep topping yourself, LoF. The fact that you took so much time on this post makes me wonder about your own private life, or lack thereof.

Trust me when I tell you that Hollywood producers don't just give out advanced copies of their movies, except maybe for the President. It took a dying child with cancer who only had days to live to get JJ Abrams to send him a copy of Star Wars, to which the copy had it's own security detail.  Do you understand how bad piracy is in the movie business? I guarantee if Nick Saban called James Gunn for an advanced copy of that or any movie, Gunn would laugh hysterically and then hang up. What kind of ****ing fantasy world are you living in, man?

• vulcan_alex, Gator2222 and gator_tom like this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#4 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

WTF is wrong with you? 

No one cares about your lame opinions, nole troll. NO ONE cares about your feelings either. 

How about that softball thread you started abandoned, because your points were obliterated. 

Apparently, they stopped to chat with Dooley, who happened to be there, about the quality of the movie's soundtrack: 

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I mean, I get that these guys need their down time, too, but is it really the best look for the head coach at the University of Florida to be taking his wife to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at a public theater? Would Nick Saban take Terry to see that and just be sidling out of the theater; discussing the soundtrack? 

These guys get paid the big bucks to project a certain image for the program. There's nothing wrong with a little mind candy, per se, but why not build a home theater and watch that stuff in private? They've got the money. 

It just seems like a bad look. Especially given everything that's transpired with the shark photo/internet memes. There's going to be an impression that the UF coach is a bit zany. 

I know some are going to say, "Well, Lawrence, what do you want him to do? Just sit captive inside his home and never go out?" As a rough guide, I'd suggest the following: 

- Sporting events are okay. You work in the industry, you have sponsorships with industry brands, etc. However, you should be sitting in a premium area. It would be weird for the UF head coach to be seen with his wife in upper deck seats at a Magic playoff game, for example, just taking in the action. 

- Movies, as I said, should generally be private viewing. These guys live in mansions and can afford a home theater. The Obamas used to have Hollywood producers send over advanced copies for private screenings in the White House, for example. 

- Haircuts should be done privately. At that level, barbers come to you. It would be embarrassing for the head coach at UF to be sitting in a chair, waiting his turn, with other regular Joe's in some shop. Find a barber you like and pay him a premium to serve you after hours, come to your house, etc. Even the players get their line-ups done privately. It's just a bad look to be exposed in a public barber shop in this position. 

- Restaurants are okay, but, again, should offer a private dining area or at least be of a level that average people generally wouldn't mob you there anyway. This can be difficult in a one horse town like Gainesville, but places will accommodate for the right price. Nothing wrong with calling the manager and saying, "Hey so-and-so, it's Jim. I wanted to bring Karen down tonight. Would you mind staying for an extra hour after you close the doors? I'll make it worth you and your staff's while." Also, having meals catered/delivered to your home is perhaps an even better option. Especially the way this guy eats - he's opening himself up to all kinds of memes/negative social media reaction if he's ever seen stuffing his face in the normal dining sections. Fulmer probably thanks God social media wasn't a thing in his heyday. 

- Golf and tennis should be played at private, more exclusive clubs. Again, just don't need the bad imagery and mobs. 

- Shopping should be done after-hours or have a private shopper/assistant pick up something for you. Obviously today it's easier to avoid sticky situations because you can do so much shopping online. 

- Doctors/dentist visits....private appointments, after-hours. Perhaps never so paramount when dealing with something as intimate as one's health. We don't need FSU fans taking images of him at the proctologist and creating memes saying they're going to shove it up our -ss like that again in November, etc. Even before social media, it was horrible when Bowden was seen getting treatment at Shands and T-Shirts were made with cartoons showing him exiting the hospital with a gator tail attached to his rear. There's just no need. Keep it private. 

- Car issues...let assistants or the UAA handle it, since I'm pretty sure a car is provided for by the university under the terms of his contract. Similar to the barber shop issue, it's just dumb to have your head coach seen waiting for an oil change or something. Find a detailer you like and trust who will come wash it on your premises. 

So, that's kind of a rough outline for how one should conduct himself in this position. Again, it's a stressful job and these guys need some down time, but it should be done thoughtfully and in a way that won't embarrass the program.

#5 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

You just keep topping yourself, LoF. The fact that you took so much time on this post makes me wonder about your own private life, or lack thereof.

Trust me when I tell you that Hollywood producers don't just give out advanced copies of their movies, except maybe for the President. It took a dying child with cancer who only had days to live to get JJ Abrams to send him a copy of Star Wars, to which the copy had it's own security detail.  Do you understand how bad piracy is in the movie business? I guarantee if Nick Saban called James Gunn for an advanced copy of that or any movie, Gunn would laugh hysterically and then hang up. What kind of ****ing fantasy world are you living in, man?

Fair enough, but then Nick would just wait until the film was released in a format that could be seen in his home theater. 

Football coaches shouldn't be watching a lot of movies, anyway. They already spend an inordinate amount of time watching game film, so they need to balance that out by engaging in more physical activities outside the office. Belichick has spoken about this (has a treadmill on which he watches game film, actually) and said that's why he bought his boat that he'll take out around Nantucket and also plays golf. You shouldn't be watching hours of game film and then plopping yourself in front of yet another screen in your down time. 

But more than any of that, it just sort of seems unbecoming for someone in his position to be walking out of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and chatting about the soundtrack. I highly doubt we're ever going to read an article about Saban shuffling out of the Tuscaloosa Cobb and reflecting on the special effects in Avengers 5 or whatever. 

The only possible way to put any positive spin on this situation is by tying it to recruiting and arguing that it shows his reliability to the kids. However, he's so clearly not relatable, as evidenced by the pregame attire he forces them to wear (I've written on this...see my thread about the Gator Walk clothes and how it looks like they're heading out for a day on a Montana lake, even though Montana is basically 100% white and most African Americans hate water, camping, lakes, etc.), that it wouldn't really have much effect in that regard. 

#6 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

I would liken this to the CEO of a major company being caught reading National Enquirer while lounging by the pool during a break at an industry conference or something. How are the shareholders going to feel about that? 

#7 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

Refuses to wear socks, dresses in lake wear, goes to kids movies with his wife at public theaters in broad daylight where any Joe Schmoe can see him and tweet about it....

Just doesn't seem to take the responsibilities of this position very seriously. Constantly goofing off at press conferences trying to get reporters to laugh and be his buddy.

Our recruiting is garbage, we still haven't found a QB, the offense continues to lag as a whole...

It's getting old. When this guy was hired, everyone highlighted his time under Saban. However, he coached under John L Smith a while, too, and, not long after his first press conferences, I voiced my concerns that he might be more "Smitty" than Saban. 

It appears that he's very much like "Smitty," the goofball whose zany behavior overshadowed any of the big wins he ever achieved. That's what's going to happen with Mac. He'll be less remembered for that LSU win than not wearing socks, wigging out on Taylor, his yellow chiclets, the photo with the shark, being caught seeing Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with his wife, etc. Great legacy. And thanks, Foley and the incompetent UAA, for putting "folksiness" over laser-driven focus and actually winning. 

Here's the UAA template for us: 

- Our "head ball coach" has to be folksy...because Spurrier!!!

- Our QB's have to be Caucasian, evangelical, sons of ministers

It's like they panic and don't know how to market anything else. 

#8 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

You honestly sit around and put serious thought into how a college football coach should handle his doctor appointments?  Then you feel the need to share this on a forum?

You should seriously get a hobby or a pet or something.

• gator_tom likes this

#9 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

Starting threads about movies and still not returning to your softball thread to explain yourself. When are you going to go address that thread?

#10 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

Starting threads about movies

It's not so much the movie, it's more the overall look and mindset of being in that position. We live in an age of rampant social media and a head coach has to protect his image or risk being lampooned. Get lampooned enough and it will effect how seriously you're taken within the profession; eventually trickling down to recruiting. This happened to Les Miles to a certain degree. He chose to play the goofy, zany card, but it wound up biting him in the -ss. Even though in reality his one sin was not beating Alabama, which a lot of teams have been struggling with, it was exacerbated and made much worse when his clownish behavior was thrown into contrast with Saban's ultra-serious, "Process" mentality. It also happened to Mac's mentor, "Smitty" (John L Smith). Slapping himself on TV; the crazy "kids are playing their hearts out, and the coaches are screwing it up" speech; etc. Guy just became a weirdo to everyone. 

Mac has to be mindful of what he's putting out there. No one is saying he can't enjoy some free time. Golf is okay, so long as it's played at a private club or prestigious enough public club such that he's not going to be inundated with cell phone cameras. Hunting, fishing...while I'm not a huge fan of those activities and would prefer the government to tax and regulate them more heavily....are okay, though preferably on trips outside the area. Honestly, though, for Mac, I think a perfect "down time" hobby might be constructing a home gym and hiring a personal fitness instructor to help reshape his body. The guy looks horrible. He should also bring in one of the university dieticians to construct a better meal plan for him. That's one thing you can't say about Meyer, Zook, and Spurrier - those guys stayed in shape and presented a positive body image for our program. Zook had an outstanding body for his age, frankly - he did some serious work with the weights. I wasn't a big fan of the barefoot water skiing, but it's a lot better than rolling up to kids films at public theaters in broad daylight while being seen inhaling Milk Duds and a large, buttery popcorn, or getting your hair cut in public like Muschamp used to do. Spurrier would play golf. Meyer would go on runs or workout with his wife (Shelly was a part time fitness instructor and required Urban to get his heart rate up at least 30 minutes every day). 

Again, just a bad look. The shark meme, while not his fault, already puts him at heightened risk of clownings on social media. Same with the yellow teeth. You can only have so much of that before the media begins to treat you as a joke, even if you're winning, like Les. And that's not going to play well if we're trading punches with Saban, Harbaugh, and Meyer on the big stage (even though it doesn't seem like he'll ever recruit well enough to get us to that level). 

We want a serious football program. Not a zany, goofy free-for-all. 

#11 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

Ok. When are you going to go back and address the softball thread you started?

#12 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

Why is this even sports news, because he chatted with Dooley?  Now he has a marriage and of course he goes out to eat, see a movie, or other typical things that humans do.  Now talking about music with Dooley is not something I would ever do, but then I would never talk to Dooley except in an official capacity.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#13 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

I would liken this to the CEO of a major company being caught reading National Enquirer while lounging by the pool during a break at an industry conference or something. How are the shareholders going to feel about that? 

Nobody would care as long as he is running the company correctly, and the National Enquirer is not a proper comparison to one of the most successful movies of this year.  I wonder if LOF is a shareholder of any company.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#14 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

Refuses to wear socks, dresses in lake wear, goes to kids movies with his wife at public theaters in broad daylight where any Joe Schmoe can see him and tweet about it....

Just doesn't seem to take the responsibilities of this position very seriously. Constantly goofing off at press conferences trying to get reporters to laugh and be his buddy.

Our recruiting is garbage, we still haven't found a QB, the offense continues to lag as a whole...

It's getting old. When this guy was hired, everyone highlighted his time under Saban. However, he coached under John L Smith a while, too, and, not long after his first press conferences, I voiced my concerns that he might be more "Smitty" than Saban. 

It appears that he's very much like "Smitty," the goofball whose zany behavior overshadowed any of the big wins he ever achieved. That's what's going to happen with Mac. He'll be less remembered for that LSU win than not wearing socks, wigging out on Taylor, his yellow chiclets, the photo with the shark, being caught seeing Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with his wife, etc. Great legacy. And thanks, Foley and the incompetent UAA, for putting "folksiness" over laser-driven focus and actually winning. 

Here's the UAA template for us: 

- Our "head ball coach" has to be folksy...because Spurrier!!!

- Our QB's have to be Caucasian, evangelical, sons of ministers

It's like they panic and don't know how to market anything else. 

Guardians is in no way a kids movie, it is for fans of the series and other similar movies.  I guess the Avengers is a kids movie and the Hulk is just an ordinary person.

UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#15 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

You honestly sit around and put serious thought into how a college football coach should handle his doctor appointments?  Then you feel the need to share this on a forum?

You should seriously get a hobby or a pet or something.

Or a brain that works on real issues.

UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#16 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Starting threads about movies and still not returning to your softball thread to explain yourself. When are you going to go address that thread?

Probably never!!!!

UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#17 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

Ok. When are you going to go back and address the softball thread you started?

Never. He is a Troll. 

Thats how Trolls roll. 

If everyone ignored him, he would fade away..........

#18 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

this board has the lamest trolls I've ever seen on a sports message board

• vulcan_alex likes this

#19 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

LoF, I'm sorry but I don't have the time to read any of those responses. It's a waste of my time anyways. No one cares what the CEO or head coach or anyone does as long as they win games. Mac is still in the process of proving himself so I wouldn't judge too early. Did Muschamp go to the movies? No. So there's that. Lol

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#20 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

Maybe GatorurforTENN should ignore like TOM does............oh......he really doesn't.   Another fake on the board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users