Close Open
Close Open
Photo

Lack of QB interest will doom this team........

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

It looks like we may have to hope for a last minute signing or a flip to get QB help the way mac recruits. We have "settled" with our recruiting status being top 15 type of program or in some circles top ten. Interest at the upper levels just does not seem to be there anymore. Losing Milton really hurt, to a northern team, we need to admit that unless we sign a top level QB in this class, we are now South Carolina, Mississippi State or Ark.

Recruiting evolves around stars, and it starts at the top.  This is how many classes that Mac has had to operate without putting together a top 5 class. UGA, with a defensive coach has recruiting 2 5 star QBs....we have Franks....a very talented kid with a rifle who will probably get drilled vs SEC competition in 2017. While the jury is out on Eason, UGA will have another 5 star in competition.....we haven't recruited a 5 star player in any position in years. What does that tell you.  The chumpster out recruited mac???????  OMG

Transfers that are other teams leftovers or rejects are there for a reason. Bringing in a decent QB transfer like Zaire might not even be an option.But it still does not solve our problem.  And that is Mac. Nice guy, great smile, says the right things, does things the right way.....but we are back to square one...again.

UGA, as bad as they play now is out recruiting us with a coach that looks talks like a feather duster. Still don't know if he can coach, but he beat the snot out of us in recruiting. BTW, if you feel that 2016 was a great class......well in the last minute we were elevated to the top 12-15....the bar was so low.........you get the picture.

The UF brand alone should bring in a top ten class. The brand is diminishing and quickly. UM, Clemson, UL and now even Miami have poached our states best players. While we will be competative, we will never be dominant with the current coaching status. Let the chips fall......glad Fooley will now teach at UF......will he show his students how to recruit a "coach"??????  

• Lawrence of Florida likes this

#2 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

It looks like we may have to hope for a last minute signing or a flip to get QB help the way mac recruits. We have "settled" with our recruiting status being top 15 type of program or in some circles top ten. Interest at the upper levels just does not seem to be there anymore. Losing Milton really hurt, to a northern team, we need to admit that unless we sign a top level QB in this class, we are now South Carolina, Mississippi State or Ark.

Recruiting evolves around stars, and it starts at the top.  This is how many classes that Mac has had to operate without putting together a top 5 class. UGA, with a defensive coach has recruiting 2 5 star QBs....we have Franks....a very talented kid with a rifle who will probably get drilled vs SEC competition in 2017. While the jury is out on Eason, UGA will have another 5 star in competition.....we haven't recruited a 5 star player in any position in years. What does that tell you.  The chumpster out recruited mac???????  OMG

Transfers that are other teams leftovers or rejects are there for a reason. Bringing in a decent QB transfer like Zaire might not even be an option.But it still does not solve our problem.  And that is Mac. Nice guy, great smile, says the right things, does things the right way.....but we are back to square one...again.

UGA, as bad as they play now is out recruiting us with a coach that looks talks like a feather duster. Still don't know if he can coach, but he beat the snot out of us in recruiting. BTW, if you feel that 2016 was a great class......well in the last minute we were elevated to the top 12-15....the bar was so low.........you get the picture.

The UF brand alone should bring in a top ten class. The brand is diminishing and quickly. UM, Clemson, UL and now even Miami have poached our states best players. While we will be competative, we will never be dominant with the current coaching status. Let the chips fall......glad Fooley will now teach at UF......will he show his students how to recruit a "coach"??????  

Hart, while I respect you as a solid poster to this board I don't find a lot of fact in what you're saying. I don't think anyone has "settled" with recruiting. No one is thrilled about our recruited efforts in the last five years but they've been much better than the irrelevant USCe, MSU, and Arky. When's the last time any one of them has been to the SEC championship game? I know two are in the same division as bama but even when bama sucked before Saban, Lsu was the main contender along with Aubie. Milton is not that good, that's why the staff cooled on him. Franks looked better in his HS tape than Milton and Franks was very raw. Milton has a cannon, and not much else. I agree that UF needs a high level QB but we had a 4 star in Grier who screwed us and 4* Franks was considered one of the top at his position according to every recruiting analyst and we pulled him from Lsu, nothing to be hanging your head about. The point is, yeah, we're down, but we're not out. I think that Mac needs to do a better job in this area which if he lands Fields or Williams that would be taken care of. Both are head and shoulders above Milton as will be reflected in the next recruiting rankings when Williams leap-frogs Milton. We have a great shot with both. Fields would change our program like Winston did with f$u.

Your last tid-bit is surprising. It's been proven over and over that you can't just recruit with a brand anymore. If you could, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Foley thought that you could and look where that put us? In a ten year hole behind sub par financial programs like f$u. You seem to agree with Foley so I find it odd that you're bashing him. The fact of the matter is our fan base is toxic right now. The only reason I visit Ox's site is to check and see if there's any bad news because no one trolls the Gators better than the Gators right now, especially Gatorc*h*a*t*t*e*r. Hell, the reason that fake picture of Mac is all over the internet largely in part is due to that site. It's sad. Our facilities are finally getting up to par and our recruiting classes are gradually improving so I suggest to our fanbase that we actually get behind our team whether we like them or not and show our support (not saying that you don't support them, Hart, just speaking to the fanbase in general). Recruits feel that bad energy and I would bet that's a major part of the recruiting problem. 

• Jabberdave, gator67, gator_tom and 1 other like this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#3 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 677 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Spot on 10. Well said. 

#4 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

I used to visit that other site from time to time to see what information or insight it had to offer, but quit doing this several months ago since it appears to be an echo chamber of negativity. The negative perception seems to have become unassailable orthodoxy because so many have mutually reinforced it while congratulating themselves that they are so much more perceptive than the "pumpers." The few who disagree often find themselves the object of ridicule. Perhaps my exposure has been too limited, but I tired of the seemingly unrelenting negative spin.

• WernerIsTentative, vulcan_alex, mtn2top and 1 other like this

#5 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

What's funny is people get tired of us complaining about the same thing, but they keep coming to the board to read more of our complaining.

Just as we tire of the ****show of football we've been watching the last 8 years or so, but we keep turning on the TV every Saturday in the Fall.

And the circle continues...

#6 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

What's funny is people get tired of us complaining about the same thing, but they keep coming to the board to read more of our complaining.

Just as we tire of the ****show of football we've been watching the last 8 years or so, but we keep turning on the TV every Saturday in the Fall.

And the circle continues...

You're right, it's all totally self inflicted. It seems to me, that college football is pretty fickle in terms of success. Alabama has probably been the most steady of all programs yet they aren't immune to lulls and controversy. 

With our unprecedented success during the early-Meyer era coupled with the basketball titles- we all hoped we could sustain that high level but it just didn't happen due to staff turnover and inconsistency at the QB position. Could probably blame some on Meyer himself, and of course some on Foley. Programs are really only as good as their coaches. Once Saban leaves bama I can't see anyone stepping in and continuing what he's doing on that same level. USCw was unstoppable until Carroll left them in shambles. Lsu has been a roller coaster ride... f$u was terrible until Winston... Ohio state was a beaten dog after we destroyed them in 06. Uga hasn't even been to Atlanta in quite some time. No one is immune.

All we can do is continue to improve our facilities and improve our coaching in a sustainable manner and hope to land some special players in the process. If we can get any momentum we have a core of players that could have us back on top quickly. I've become impatient too, but I still try to consider every move we've made or had to make in the last 10 years and I think we made the best moves we could at the time we made them. Muschamp was on Foley. But despite that, I thought he would be a good coach- he was one of the hottest names in the industry at the time and Texas was trying their best to keep him as the coach in waiting. McElwain was the best hire we could have made at the time. Who else was there? Kerwin Bell?? I've said it a million times- we would have never gotten Harbaugh. I'm just saying that college football is a business of timing. Ours has just been bad as of late. 

• WernerIsTentative and Wuerffel4Pres like this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#7 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

You'll get no argument from me.

#8 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

Hart, while I respect you as a solid poster to this board I don't find a lot of fact in what you're saying. I don't think anyone has "settled" with recruiting. No one is thrilled about our recruited efforts in the last five years but they've been much better than the irrelevant USCe, MSU, and Arky. When's the last time any one of them has been to the SEC championship game? I know two are in the same division as bama but even when bama sucked before Saban, Lsu was the main contender along with Aubie. Milton is not that good, that's why the staff cooled on him. Franks looked better in his HS tape than Milton and Franks was very raw. Milton has a cannon, and not much else. I agree that UF needs a high level QB but we had a 4 star in Grier who screwed us and 4* Franks was considered one of the top at his position according to every recruiting analyst and we pulled him from Lsu, nothing to be hanging your head about. The point is, yeah, we're down, but we're not out. I think that Mac needs to do a better job in this area which if he lands Fields or Williams that would be taken care of. Both are head and shoulders above Milton as will be reflected in the next recruiting rankings when Williams leap-frogs Milton. We have a great shot with both. Fields would change our program like Winston did with f$u.

Your last tid-bit is surprising. It's been proven over and over that you can't just recruit with a brand anymore. If you could, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Foley thought that you could and look where that put us? In a ten year hole behind sub par financial programs like f$u. You seem to agree with Foley so I find it odd that you're bashing him. The fact of the matter is our fan base is toxic right now. The only reason I visit Ox's site is to check and see if there's any bad news because no one trolls the Gators better than the Gators right now, especially Gatorc*h*a*t*t*e*r. Hell, the reason that fake picture of Mac is all over the internet largely in part is due to that site. It's sad. Our facilities are finally getting up to par and our recruiting classes are gradually improving so I suggest to our fanbase that we actually get behind our team whether we like them or not and show our support (not saying that you don't support them, Hart, just speaking to the fanbase in general). Recruits feel that bad energy and I would bet that's a major part of the recruiting problem. 

Well said. 

I also think that Muschamp's complete destruction of the offense isn't given enough credit/blame as Mac tries to repair it.  No QB worth his salt wanted to stand behind the line that was available here. That is improving and with it, the offense will improve.  That will draw more attention. 

I also strongly agree with the facilities deal.  I wasn't on board with that a couple of years ago thinking that "This is Florida!  It recruits itself!"  That is clearly not the case. I'm excited to check out this new football facility once completed and I'm looking forward to the baseball upgrades. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#9 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

I have a much different view.   If I have a championship line I can do with somewhat lesser talent at QB.  We have plenty of talent except at the o-line.  They have not proven to be able to run the ball against quality opponents, nor to pass protect.  There is most of the problem, how did a QB even get touched against a wimp team???  We have a new coach in that area and perhaps it will improve things.

• GatorUrf10, gator67 and gator_tom like this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#10 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

I have a much different view.   If I have a championship line I can do with somewhat lesser talent at QB.  We have plenty of talent except at the o-line.  They have not proven to be able to run the ball against quality opponents, nor to pass protect.  There is most of the problem, how did a QB even get touched against a wimp team???  We have a new coach in that area and perhaps it will improve things.

I'm hoping that as the current o-line matures and new players come in, this situation will change. It is clear to me that this has been a point of emphasis for Mac.

• vulcan_alex likes this

#11 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 677 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

It all starts upfront......Alex is right. 

• vulcan_alex likes this

#12 Alvin York

Alvin York

Besa

• Members
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

What? You're finally having that moment of clarity? 

I've been singing the same song since Tim Tebow left Gainesville for the NFL. Guess what? This year will be same sad story of moaning and groaning by Gator fans about having a dud at quarterback.

On the other hand at TENNESSEE we have.....

Still Our Royal Family!!

Posted Image

#13 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

What? You're finally having that moment of clarity? 

I've been singing the same song since Tim Tebow left Gainesville for the NFL. Guess what? This year will be same sad story of moaning and groaning by Gator fans about having a dud at quarterback.

On the other hand at TENNESSEE we have.....

Who? Qb's worse than Dobbs? Yikes.

I knew it wouldn't take long for one of our Ut buddies to show up. Always need some attention because women's basketball isn't cutting it for you?

• vulcan_alex likes this

#14 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

Reality is we are not in the running for any top 50 player at this time, and top 100 players are getting thinner and thinner. Mac just cannot compete with Michigan, Alabama, FSU, Clemson, UGA or even Miami.

It is what it is. We lost interest in the QB that Miami recruited, and now we are trying to get him back? Milton is no good because we didn't get him. 

Speaking the truth is not negative.

Tired of losing out to our competition over and over and over and................face the facts. Between mac and chump, Fooley did us in, and now he teaches? 

• Lawrence of Florida likes this

#15 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Fields would change our program like Winston did with f$u.

Then why aren't we on him; offering whatever it takes within, and even slightly outside of, the rules to get him on campus? 

This is the issue many of us have with the program. We haven't struggled to identify game-changers (Trent, Dalvin, DH, Eason, etc)...the problem has been not doing whatever it takes to secure their commitment. 

We recruit in a business-like manner...not with the urgent sense of desperation that has been necessary (particularly at this position given the length of time it's been since we've had a star). When we identify a game-changing QB, we must recruit like a pack of wild dogs...starving dogs with tapeworm that can't eat enough. Are we some dogs on the trail? How do Fields' parents earn a living? How much do they make at their current positions? Can we pull some strings and find better opportunities for their family? What is Fields' favorite restaurant? Is their a chain in G'ville and, if not, could we lean on our booster network to produce one? Does Fields have close friends who would make him more comfortable at UF? Can we save a spot or two for them to make him happy? Whatever. It. Takes. That should be the attitude. A ravenous, cut-throat approach is the only way we're going to end this drought and reverse momentum against our rivals. You don't think Fisher recognized that with G-"5"-Reid? Remember how mad Meyer was about losing that commitment? How do you think it occurred...do you think Jimbo just asked nicely? "Aww shucks...let's just see what the young man decides and, no matter what his decision, in all kinds of weather, we'll just all stick together..." That doesn't cut it. Press. Grind. Get mean. Get hungry. Instead of waiting for rivals to stumble and open a door for us, be the change agent ourselves...kick the door down. Take what they want by offering more than they offer. Change the f'ing narrative. 

#16 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Then why aren't we on him; offering whatever it takes within, and even slightly outside of, the rules to get him on campus? 

This is dumb.

We've been recruiting him. 

• vulcan_alex likes this

#17 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

Reality is we are not in the running for any top 50 player at this time, and top 100 players are getting thinner and thinner. Mac just cannot compete with Michigan, Alabama, FSU, Clemson, UGA or even Miami.

It is what it is. We lost interest in the QB that Miami recruited, and now we are trying to get him back? Milton is no good because we didn't get him. 

Speaking the truth is not negative.

Tired of losing out to our competition over and over and over and................face the facts. Between mac and chump, Fooley did us in, and now he teaches? 

We're going to get Tyreke Johnson, #10 on Rival's board. We're also in the running for two or three others in the top 50 and more in the top 100. 

Sitowski isn't very good. Have you watched his tape? I was wondering why we we're recruiting him in the first place. We haven't started recruiting him again btw, he just told some reporters he would be open to it.  I never said Milton wasn't very good, he is just clearly not even close to the best QB in the class and he definitely isn't a guy who is going to dominate in year one like we need. 

I still don't understand the point you're making. It just seems like whining. 

#18 Alvin York

Alvin York

Besa

• Members
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

This is the issue many of us have with the program. We haven't struggled to identify game-changers (Trent, Dalvin, DH, Eason, etc)...the problem has been not doing whatever it takes to secure their commitment. 

We recruit in a business-like manner...not with the urgent sense of desperation that has been necessary (particularly at this position given the length of time it's been since we've had a star). When we identify a game-changing QB, we must recruit like a pack of wild dogs...starving dogs with tapeworm that can't eat enough. Are we some dogs on the trail? How do Fields' parents earn a living? How much do they make at their current positions? Can we pull some strings and find better opportunities for their family? What is Fields' favorite restaurant? Is their a chain in G'ville and, if not, could we lean on our booster network to produce one? Does Fields have close friends who would make him more comfortable at UF? Can we save a spot or two for them to make him happy? Whatever. It. Takes. That should be the attitude. A ravenous, cut-throat approach is the only way we're going to end this drought and reverse momentum against our rivals. You don't think Fisher recognized that with G-"5"-Reid? Remember how mad Meyer was about losing that commitment? How do you think it occurred...do you think Jimbo just asked nicely? "Aww shucks...let's just see what the young man decides and, no matter what his decision, in all kinds of weather, we'll just all stick together..." That doesn't cut it. Press. Grind. Get mean. Get hungry. Instead of waiting for rivals to stumble and open a door for us, be the change agent ourselves...kick the door down. Take what they want by offering more than they offer. Change the f'ing narrative. 

Lawrence, you're talking like the idiot alumni that poison college football with their immoral desperate win at all cost mindset that gives any thug off the street a free pass to commit any crimes while playing at their university as long as he excels at his position to put their university in an advantage to win the National Championship. That's exactly why Meyer, the Florida AD and alumni deflected the media's investigation of a questionable recruit by the name of Aaron Hernandez before and during his tenure at the University of Florida.

Is that what you're saying? You would gladly recruit and protect a raping scumbag like Winston as long as he was a superstar quarterback for the Gators? 

Still Our Royal Family!!

Posted Image

#19 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

Because of the integrity portion of our mission statement, we are not going outside the rules, in fact we will stay clearly within them.  Just what within this limitation can we offer?  A better potential education than most of our competitors, unfortunately most football players don't care much about this and perhaps it is a negative.  Better path to the NFL?  Probably not.  Nothing much other than being a Gator and all that it is.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#20 gatorhart

gatorhart

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

We're going to get Tyreke Johnson, #10 on Rival's board. We're also in the running for two or three others in the top 50 and more in the top 100. 

Sitowski isn't very good. Have you watched his tape? I was wondering why we we're recruiting him in the first place. We haven't started recruiting him again btw, he just told some reporters he would be open to it.  I never said Milton wasn't very good, he is just clearly not even close to the best QB in the class and he definitely isn't a guy who is going to dominate in year one like we need. 

I still don't understand the point you're making. It just seems like whining. 

As a recruiting SEC school "power" we don't seem to have the same impact as some other schools inside or outside the SEC. I didn't say we aren't as good as Ark ect.... our recruiting has not been that much better than average SEC schools in getting the top recruits in the nation. I hope that changes and soon. We are in the running for defensive players....GREAT...........but the dope on UGA is a defensive coach and he out recruited us for offensive players in 2016. 

I apologize if I have higher expectations for the team. Whether Mac can close on some of the best players in the county remains to be seen. But I stand by my original statement. A top QB recruit needs to happen this year. Don't know if mac is the man to do it.

BTW, still think we can win the east.............unless someone really steps up this year

• Wuerffel4Pres likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users