• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:05 AM

I thought the kid looked pretty good on Friday night. Prototypical passing quarterback and ideal for Mac's system.  It was great to see a year of maturity in his play.  So gifted physically to make all the throws with such accuracy.  Clearly he is the future signal caller for Florida.  It's very smart how Coach Mac has brought him along and not put too much pressure on him as a freshmen.

He's got a long way to go yet to master the offense.  Del Rio, assuming he heals, will still be the starter in the fall from my perspective.  Franks is going to get a lot of playing time as the backup.  Based on the injury rate of SEC starting QBs, could become the starter for the Gators this season.  Going into the season, I don't think he's our best player at the position.

The ability to run all of the offense, to read defenses and take advantage of mismatches is knowledge and experience that is not easily acquired. Franks is going to have the luxury of playing behind Del Rio and learning more about the position and offense for at least the first part of the coming season.

• oxs uncle likes this

#2 ccnabors

ccnabors

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thought he was okay. The game had a lack of intensity but he looked comfortable. The key now is figuring out the oline. A good running game would really help him. Gives him something to lean on and keeps us out of 3rd and long situations.
  • vulcan_alex and mtn2top like this

#3 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

Thought he was okay. The game had a lack of intensity but he looked comfortable. The key now is figuring out the oline. A good running game would really help him. Gives him something to lean on and keeps us out of 3rd and long situations.

Agreed.  If the oline improves as expected we should have more balance in the offense.  The less experienced the QB, the more help they need from the other players on offense, especially the oline.

That's where you need to have a QB that understands the offense and is able to make quick pre-snap check downs at the line.  I see those pieces coming together a bit more this season with more short to medium route help from our receivers and TEs.

Last year we lacked the quick hitting passing plays that keep the opposing running defense honest.  It's been easy for defenses to read the run and then wait for pursuit for a scrambling QB,  Those quick hitters cause the defense to hesitate just long enough to set some lanes open for the ball carriers to get to the second level.

This is where Powell was absent in a lot of games last year. Thompson seems to have hands of stone, so not sure he's going to be much of a threat in outlet passing. Scarlett has a bit more potential as a receiver, if his pass blocking improves.   

• vulcan_alex likes this

#4 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

I think not based on much that LDR is going to be promoted to essentially coach and emergency QB.  The difference between the other two is not as great as everyone thinks, but coach might be biased.  Our freshman is exciting but I see a package for him not a starter.  Not that I am an expert at any of this.  Now a poster known as Cover2 is somewhat an expert, his opinion I value.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#5 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,377 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

Toney was fun to watch.  Mac said he has ball security issues, but he seems fast enough to catch his own passes. 

• vulcan_alex and mtn2top like this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#6 mkfgator

mkfgator

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

I also think Franks looked good and I think we have some depth with Trask and Toney. I don't think Luke Del Rio will ever see the field again unless there is a series of  injuries. I don't know why everyone thinks he is the "smarter" QB. Knowing the playbook and making good decisions are separate things. I thought his decision-making last year was okay. The problem he had was even when he made the right the decision, the length of time it took for his body to respond to his brain was too long and his body was too weak to make up for it. Weak arm, can't run and slow delivery--I don't care if he's Einstein. That is a recipe for failure. I'd rather take my lumps with an athletic young QB now and develop him. If Del Rio starts, it will also detrimentally affect our recruiting for future QB's.

#7 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

I also think Franks looked good and I think we have some depth with Trask and Toney. I don't think Luke Del Rio will ever see the field again unless there is a series of  injuries. I don't know why everyone thinks he is the "smarter" QB. Knowing the playbook and making good decisions are separate things. I thought his decision-making last year was okay. The problem he had was even when he made the right the decision, the length of time it took for his body to respond to his brain was too long and his body was too weak to make up for it. Weak arm, can't run and slow delivery--I don't care if he's Einstein. That is a recipe for failure. I'd rather take my lumps with an athletic young QB now and develop him. If Del Rio starts, it will also detrimentally affect our recruiting for future QB's.

Del Rio, let's not forget, is a sophomore.  I know he went to Alabama and Oregon but last year was his first to actually play.  I watched and scratched my head as many times as anyone last year, and then it would hit me again, and again, that he was a freshman.  I believe he will be our QB.  He's had a chance to play, to watch and mature.  I'm not so sure it will have an adverse affect on QB recruiting.  If anything it would demonstrate a sense loyalty on the part of the coaching staff.  I also believe if Luke fails to demonstrate the leadership, and capability skills we will see a change.  I'd feel better as a fan to have experience on the field against Michigan.  Franks will get his chance if Del Rio fails to measure up.

• mtn2top likes this

#8 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

It strikes me that we really don't have much to use as a basis for judging what the coaches are likely to do. It is clear to me that Del Rio's major weakness is a limited arm, which means that he is not likely to ever make some of the throws that could be in the game plan with Franks, or even Trask. If this is a serious concern for the coaches, Franks may be the starter, at least after the first few games. It would not surprise me to see Del Rio start against Michigan, but I suspect he will not be the starter by mid-season.

Toney looked like a real threat with the ball in his hands, and it will be interesting to see how much the Gators use him in special packages. Mac has pretty much promised that he will be on the field some of the time. Should be fun to watch.

#9 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

I agree except for recruiting, he will be gone soon, now if we continually bring in short term fixes that will effect recruiting.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#10 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

Even a year of experience is very significant at this level, Del Rio has more.  It's not just the offensive capability of the QB but the ability to play within yourself, get play makers involved and run the offense without mistakes and turnovers.  A lot of what we saw from LDR last year was making the best out of our personnel.  He will look much better in the fall with a better o-line and more experienced play makers around him.

Better to throw the ball away on third down and punt instead of trying to muscle a throw in downfield that is intercepted. Just being able to make the pre-snap reads on a defense, etc. Coach Mac places a premium on decision-making and ball security.  That's why Del Rio will be the starter in the fall. The fact that Franks has a big arm and can chuck it all over the field doesn't negate his inexperience and all of the other factors that go into playing the position in this offense. 

I see a bright future for Franks at UF.  He is our future at QB.  I feel certain we will see him play a lot this year in a secondary role.  Next year he will be in a better position to challenge for the starter role.  That seems to be the development track he is on looking at the big picture.

Toney is also going to be fun to watch.  I can see him playing the slot and running the wildcat.  That's at least 15 minutes of the opposing teams practice that will be spent preparing for the zone read and Toney.

No one is getting too excited about Trask but he looked very capable to fill a backup role.  We are in good shape for the QB position at Florida with other talented players set to come into the program over the next few years.  It's been awhile since we could say that....

• DrthG8r likes this

#11 net0638

net0638

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

This Gator team is not good enough yet to excel with a average quarterback

You could plug Franks in at Bama, or Ohio state or FSU and he would do ok

The gators are going to be same ole same old.  The wildcard or,  what UF needs most is exceptional QB play preferably from a dual threat QB

If UF does not have exceptional Dual threat QB play then they need a overall good team but UF does not have that yet

more of the same coming

#12 Thread Killer

Thread Killer

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

I think it was hard to see a lot of separation yet:

1) Franks was playing with the offensive 1s against the defensive 2s
2) Trask was playing with the 2s against the 1s (his oline sucked)
3) Trask had a hurt knee
  • mtn2top likes this

#13 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

We have alot of QB's to choose from. That may not be a be a bad thing.   

#14 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

We have alot of QB's to choose from. That may not be a be a bad thing.   

#15 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

Now that Spurrier is back at Florida, perhaps Coach Mac will get whispered to about changing QBs on a whim. 

With Toney in a package, that could get interesting.  Play 'em if you got 'em!   Play 'em all!

I can see where Coach Mac may have picked some things up from Coach White about offense.  It's time to treat our QBs like point guards in basketball.  If the offense isn't moving through them, change things up and try different personnel combinations.  Florida fast break football.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users