Close Open
Close Open
Photo

College basketball is stupid: Bill Self is the greatest coach and doesn't even win the title

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Not sure how some of you guys tolerate the sport.

I don't know a damn thing about college basketball, but if you ask anyone in the profession, they'll tell you Bill Self is the greatest, pure coach out there. No one does the X's and O's thing in conjunction with big-time recruiting like Self.

And the guy can't win the title?

I had Kansas going all the way when I saw them thrash Izzo and Michigan St.

Oregon? It's just a retarded game for that to happen.

Can't even crown the best teams and coaches.

#2 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

Well Gee the games are played because opinion is worthless, you admit you don't know much about the subject yet assume to have an opinion on it.

I expected you to be quite happy that the Gators are no longer wasting money playing more games of basketball.  What a disappointment you are.

• suwanneegator likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#3 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

I definitely am glad the madness is over for us, but Kansas was clearly the best team and can't win the title...again.

It's just dumb. I read that Kansas has won like 20 conference titles in a row, has been a top seed numerous times, and they have basically 1 title (coming on a miraculous shot to beat Calipari's old Memphis squad), if I recall. It was the same thing with the Braves in the 90's - oh, but hey, let's just have randos like the SF Giants win 3 titles in a 5 year span out of nowhere. The Braves won 14 straight division titles and can only have 1 ring??? And people wonder why no one likes baseball?

Oregon beating Kansas? Really? I had Kansas as a lock for at least the final game and basically the national title.

Everyone in the coaching profession acknowledges Self's superior X's and O's, in-game adjustments, etc...guy can't get another ring without miracle shots or something? Just tells you the sport is fundamentally flawed.

So stupid.

#4 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

not one of your better efforts

#5 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

I definitely am glad the madness is over for us, but Kansas was clearly the best team and can't win the title...again.

It's just dumb. I read that Kansas has won like 20 conference titles in a row, has been a top seed numerous times, and they have basically 1 title (coming on a miraculous shot to beat Calipari's old Memphis squad), if I recall. It was the same thing with the Braves in the 90's - oh, but hey, let's just have randos like the SF Giants win 3 titles in a 5 year span out of nowhere. The Braves won 14 straight division titles and can only have 1 ring??? And people wonder why no one likes baseball?

Oregon beating Kansas? Really? I had Kansas as a lock for at least the final game and basically the national title.

Everyone in the coaching profession acknowledges Self's superior X's and O's, in-game adjustments, etc...guy can't get another ring without miracle shots or something? Just tells you the sport is fundamentally flawed.

So stupid.

It never started for you, only for the Gators.

You are a spineless jelly fish.  In other words a typical half ass u fan.

• vulcan_alex and suwanneegator like this

#6 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

I don't know a damn thing about college basketball, but if you ask anyone in the profession, they'll tell you Bill Self is the greatest, pure coach out there. No one does the X's and O's thing in conjunction with big-time recruiting like Self.

No one believes anything you type.

No one.

Stupid nole.

#7 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Tom can't ignore facts!!!

#8 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Tom can't ignore facts!!!

But who is the best coach is an opinion, nothing more or less.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#9 Jack O' Diamonds

Jack O' Diamonds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

So stupid.

Wouldn't this very post suggest that Kansas isn't the best team and Self not the best Coach? Maybe just one of the better programs....Certainly the best team/coach would have won many more championships...

• vulcan_alex likes this

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...

#10 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

Although I'm sure lawrence will get killed for this post I actually agree with a lot of what he says.

I was actually talking to a friend today about how I think they need to make the regular season shorter and find a way to do a best of 3 playoff series or even double elimination mini-tournaments for every regional. If they can do it for baseball I see no reason why they couldn't do it for basketball.

It's true that the best team in college basketball usually doesn't win... but that's also why watching the tournament is so much fun... so when you ask how I "tolerate" the sport my answer would be that one game elimination is extremely dramatic and exciting.

I'm sure the big basketball schools like KU, UK, NC, and Duke would LOOOVe to go to double elimination. I think we would probably have won the National title a couple of years ago when Scottie Wilbekin was a senior if it was done in this format, but once again, it is definitely much more exciting and dramatic this way. I don't think college basketball would get the same ratings that it does in March if they ever changed it.

#11 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

There's a big difference between best players and best team.  I'd put Frank Martin's defensive coaching capabilities up there with anyone in the game.  I'd also say South Carolina as a team is as good as anyone out there right now, with the exception of North Carolina (who by the way is still playing).  I'm not buying all the best team doesn't win stuff.  

More importantly, why would anyone go out of his or her way to start blabbing about something they openly admit they know nothing about?

• stephenpe55 likes this

#12 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

There's a big difference between best players and best team.  I'd put Frank Martin's defensive coaching capabilities up there with anyone in the game.  I'd also say South Carolina as a team is as good as anyone out there right now, with the exception of North Carolina (who by the way is still playing).  I'm not buying all the best team doesn't win stuff.  

More importantly, why would anyone go out of his or her way to start blabbing about something they openly admit they know nothing about?

I disagree that south carolina is one of the best teams but they are certainly hot right now and got some good matchups for them in the tourney. Their defensive style does help in the tourney though especially since they suddenly have decent shooting ability since the tournament started.

• vulcan_alex likes this

#13 stephenpe55

stephenpe55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

Basketball is great because it is fluid and does not lend itself to over coaching like football or baseball. When the game starts it becomes almost an art. You probe for a weakness or an opening.  You take multiple chances.  You hope the right person is in the right place at the right time.  And unlike football you play both offense and def.  GREAT coaches/teams understand that def. can always be there when shots dont fall.   The teams that play best at the end of the year and can take the pressure of the tournament games will be successful.  What is more honest and pure than win and move on.  UCONN was the champion this year. We all knew it.  Just give them the trophy....................and that is why you "play" the game......................

• mtn2top, OldGatorAlum and DrthG8r like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users