• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

I'm thankful for all the hard work of players and staff to make it such a memorable season.  We wanted the post-season run to continue but the Elite 8 loss does not diminish the accomplishments of this Gator team. 

I will miss Casey Hill, Justin Leon, Canyon Barry and most likely Devin Robinson. They were the leaders that brought our basketball program back to the tournament and Elite 8.  The Gators will always be remembered as part of the SEC dominance in the 2016-2017 basketball season.

• vulcan_alex, OldGatorAlum and DrthG8r like this

#2 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

I thought we were a potential final four team with egbunu. When he went down I really thought that anything past the second round would be a huge accomplishment for this team. It could have gone further of course, but this was a great run for a team that really had some glaring deficiencies. I'm hoping we can get a little recruiting momentum out of this! 

• OldGatorAlum and DrthG8r like this

#3 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Real Gators should be proud of this team.  In only their second year with coach White they stepped up and made a real run for the whole ball of wax.

BTW saw coach Mac at the game.  He looked rested and I liked the "new" look.  I'm sure he'll cut it, but it looks fine to me.

GO GATORS!!

• vulcan_alex likes this

#4 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,479 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

LOF must be quite happy, no more useless spending on something other than football.  Just kidding of course, I am pleased with the effort and accomplishment.  This game could have been won with several mistakes not being made, but perfection is not that easy to get.

• DrthG8r likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#5 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

I agree with everything said so far. Great season. Far better than most people expected. There are two negative things I have to say. One is that Coach White HAS to get a player that is a consistent presence in the middle. He has to get a BIG big man. The most success that Coach Donovan had was when he had a strong center.

The second is that there will be at least 3 posters that are peeing their pants in elation right now. I won't name larry and his amigos from the washed out orange state.

Now, on to the next major sport: BASEBALL!!!!    GO GATORS!!!

• vulcan_alex and DrthG8r like this

#6 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

As much as Kasey Hill annoys a lot of people... I'm thankful for him and his passion for Gators basketball.  I'll miss all the Seniors :(

• vulcan_alex, mtn2top and DrthG8r like this

#7 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Something I wanted to ask in my previous post and forgot it: Can someone, anyone, please explain to an old school guy the difference in how offensive charging and defensive blocking fouls are called? It just looks like it is just so blamed inconsistent on how the fouls are called. Thanks.

#8 GatorShea

GatorShea

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

Defensive blocking is usually called when the defender is shuffling his feet and offensive charging is called when the defender is set and usually straight up, while not in the restricted area under the basket.  

Great season by our Gators!!!!  At least the Kats will not be hoisting the trophy this year.  

• vulcan_alex likes this

#9 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

The Gators had a great year, even though it ended in such a disappointing way. The second half was so different than the first. Shots that fell consistently in the first 20 minutes missed in the last. I wonder whether the overtime game against Wisconsin finally caught up with them at that point. Still, congratulations to the Gators for making a deep run in the tourney!

• vulcan_alex likes this

#10 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

Defensive blocking is usually called when the defender is shuffling his feet and offensive charging is called when the defender is set and usually straight up, while not in the restricted area under the basket.  

Great season by our Gators!!!!  At least the Kats will not be hoisting the trophy this year.  

Thanks for the information. It seemed like a lot of the calls could have gone either way. It just looked like the Gators were getting bulldozed on a lot of the play inside and most of the time the foul was called on the Gators. I've only complained about officials once in my life and that was "The Swindle" but it just looked like there were a bunch of either lax or lazy officials in New York.

• vulcan_alex likes this

#11 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:55 AM

The officiating was a bit inconsistent but seemed to be equally applied to the opposing teams.  It was a great defensive game. 

The second half of the game was very different than the first with more physical play.  South Carolina went inside and leveraged more experienced post players. We never seemed to make the adjustment and could not get a single three-point shot to fall.  That's a recipe for defeat as it was during the regular season.

#12 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

I've never seen a game lost were we played so hard. Officiating was extremely uneven.

Sprewell really picked up his third foul buy wacking our guy in the leg forcing him to move his feet and "travel". The announcer said "too close". A foul is a foul regardless of the situation. Sprewell even raised his hand! WTF.

In the second half there was the obvious travel on the long pass. Everyone in the Garden knew there were at least five steps. Verne almost had a calf. That could have been a four point swing. This year the refs said that type of play was going to be called traveling. No  excuses for slipping or for making a great athletic play. No situational calls. Here the officials can't call that traveling because it was such a great catch, and calling the violation might change the game too much. Horse****!

Offensive fouls do no require a charge. They can if occur the offensive player blasts over the defender, not set, and initiate contact. S.C did that several  times. We played good defense but there is no defense to fouls. The refs were also supposed to call those offensive fouls this year - just not for us.

O-13 from three will kill you every time. And most of our turnovers were caused buy outstanding S.C.defense. But the foul disparity was too much, nothing but a flood of ticky tack fouls on us. Same officiating crew as Friday that would not call offense fouls and would not call "Pass interference" on the long ball. Dooley saw it. I'm sure he had a hundred calves today. I'm waiting for his report. Brockoway alluded to it. Cheez said they knew how to "sell their fouls" The refs,though, have eyes.

This is the worst officiated game against us since the swindle in the swamp.

This was a great season. Today, despite our problems we did not screw up. S.C. played ferociously, but they had more than a little help from their friends.

The most frustrating thing is that you can never,ever, ever, prove that adverse officiating changed the outcome of the game. Only that the game not was called fairly.

The only other consolation was that I didn't think our odds against Gonzaga would have been very good, had we won. We were not robbed of an NC.

• mtn2top likes this

#13 orange54

orange54

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

think oxymoron is trying to be a Monday morning zebra

#14 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the information. It seemed like a lot of the calls could have gone either way. It just looked like the Gators were getting bulldozed on a lot of the play inside and most of the time the foul was called on the Gators. I've only complained about officials once in my life and that was "The Swindle" but it just looked like there were a bunch of either lax or lazy officials in New York.

Yeah there are a lot of factors that go into it. It can still be a charge if the defenders feet are moving depending on how in-control the offensive player is and even the actual angle that the offensive player has on the defensive player. It's often just a judgement call of whether or not the defender has a right to the space which depends a lot on how quick the offensive player gets to the said space.

Anyway, I actually thought the foul calling was pretty even other than a couple of times. There was a point at the beginning of the half when I think they called 4 fouls on us in one possession (I don't remember seeing that in any basketball game before). I think 2 of them were fouls, but the other two were super ticky-tack ones that could have been called at any time. That really changed the momentum of the game and made us play differently on defense for the rest of the game, but I think the worst call in the game was on the baseball pass at the end when we were down 2 points and their player took about 4-5 steps when he was catching the ball but no travel... only to have a foul called immediately on us that didn't look like a foul. That was a 4 point swing to finish the game and could have really made the difference. But when you miss every single 3-pointer in the second half, it's hard to blame the officials for any part of that loss. Pretty incredible season for the players we had anyway IMO.

• GatorShea and gator67 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users