46 replies to this topic

#1 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Facing their fifth ranked opponent of the season Tuesday, the No. 3 Florida lacrosse team received career-high scoring performances from sophomores Shayna Pirreca and Lindsey Ronbeck en route to a 19-12 win over No. 5 Syracuse at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.

link

Not bad for a football school. 

#2 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

link

Not bad for a football school.

Until the postseason when they choke for about the fourth year in a row.

#3 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

Until the postseason when they choke for about the fourth year in a row.

True - Post season has been tough. But how many schools were able to do so well in the first few years the sport is on campus? The NE owns the best lacrosse players, as those high schools have been playing lacrosse competitively for over 30 years. Right out of the gate we make the post season and compete for titles.  

• mtn2top likes this

#4 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

True - Post season has been tough. But how many schools were able to do so well in the first few years the sport is on campus? The NE owns the best lacrosse players, as those high schools have been playing lacrosse competitively for over 30 years. Right out of the gate we make the post season and compete for titles.

I'll give you that. That's true.

#5 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

I'll give you that. That's true.

Good - that will PO LoF.

ha

• Wuerffel4Pres likes this

#6 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

I remember it was a few years ago we had a lacrosse team but it wasn't receiving support from the UAA.  I received a letter from the "team" in their effort to raise funds.  Several of us got together and sent a check.  Now they are funded and competing with the teams from the NE and west coast.  Sounds like I'm not the only one proud of this Gator team and to that I say "GOOD".

• mtn2top likes this

#7 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Some of the NE programs go back even further. It's quite remarkable that we could become so competitive in just a few years,  Once again the weather in Florida is an advantage with the ability to practice and play most of the winter and early in the spring.

• DrthG8r likes this

#8 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

Some of the NE programs go back even further. It's quite remarkable that we could become so competitive in just a few years,  Once again the weather in Florida is an advantage with the ability to practice and play most of the winter and early in the spring.

You're right.  Until a few years ago no one in the SEC knew anything about lacrosse.

I believe we recruit well because those young ladies in the NE want to play in the sun (and who can blame them?).  They go home for Thanksgiving break all nice and tan while their friends are all snow white.

You know, in reality it was just a couple of years ago that the UAA decided to go full bore in softball.  Up until then it was mostly a West Coast thing, and we sure get our fair share of the players from out there.

GO GATORS!!!

• mtn2top likes this

#9 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

You're right. Until a few years ago no one in the SEC knew anything about lacrosse.

I believe we recruit well because those young ladies in the NE want to play in the sun (and who can blame them?). They go home for Thanksgiving break all nice and tan while their friends are all snow white.

You know, in reality it was just a couple of years ago that the UAA decided to go full bore in softball. Up until then it was mostly a West Coast thing, and we sure get our fair share of the players from out there.

GO GATORS!!!

I agree the Florida weather helps us recruit the NE. Right now they look at the news and see the snow, then go outside in shorts.

#10 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

LACROSSE.....ISN'T THAT A NURD SPORT?

#11 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

s-l300.jpg

#12 orange54

orange54

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

LOL......TOM COULDN'T IGNORE A HAM SAMICH!!!

#13 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

Why do people act like weather is such a big factor? 

Some people enjoy cooler climates. I have a Moncler jacket (same one as Leonardo DiCaprio was seen wearing in Vancouver - I bought it at the Moncler store in Soho) that I can't even wear when I'm in Florida. Not everyone enjoys sweating after taking just a few steps outside. 

#14 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

I remember it was a few years ago we had a lacrosse team but it wasn't receiving support from the UAA.  I received a letter from the "team" in their effort to raise funds.  Several of us got together and sent a check.  Now they are funded and competing with the teams from the NE and west coast.  Sounds like I'm not the only one proud of this Gator team and to that I say "GOOD".

I worked for Rec Sports when that club started.  Both men's and women's.  I went online to figure out how to lay out a field.  My head blew off when I realized the women's field is very different than the men's field.  Many colorful metaphors flowed over the next couple of weeks because none of us knew one damn thing about the game, equipment or layout.  To us, Lacrosse was a town on 121. 

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#15 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

because none of us knew one damn thing about the game, equipment or layout.

And we still don't and no one cares about it.

It's a game for privileged, Caucasians to play at their prep schools. Not the University of Florida. 

#16 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Why do people act like weather is such a big factor? 

Some people enjoy cooler climates. I have a Moncler jacket (same one as Leonardo DiCaprio was seen wearing in Vancouver - I bought it at the Moncler store in Soho) that I can't even wear when I'm in Florida. Not everyone enjoys sweating after taking just a few steps outside. 

Okay -- weather is not a factor.  So why are you in Florida?  It can't be because of wages, it can't be because you attended UF, and we know it's not because of fashion.

I'll tell you like I tell any transplant - if it's not your thing -- go home! 

My family has roots in Florida that dates back to 1808 which gives me the right to invite you to leave.

Go -- just leave and the rest of us will hold down the fort.

#17 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

And we still don't and no one cares about it.

It's a game for privileged, Caucasians to play at their prep schools. Not the University of Florida. 

Your wrong. Pleant of GATORS care about it and the other non football sports UF plays. 

#18 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

it can't be because you attended UF

I did attend UF. 

I'll say this, though: Most days I do wish I had attended another school. 

If it had to be another public school, it would be the University of Michigan. I really wish I had known more about that school back when I was going through the process. 

That being said, I feel I'm a private school kid at heart and I believe Georgetown would have been a great fit for me. 

So, yeah, if I could do it over I'd be a Michigan/Georgetown guy. Then I wouldn't have to torture myself everyday with the annoyance that is Florida Football. 

#19 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Why would anyone (supposedly) want a montcler jacket who claims to live in Florida?  When I returned from Antarctica I gave  mine to Goodwill.  They said it is the popular brand in the homeless shelters in NYC.

#20 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

I did attend UF. 

I'll say this, though: Most days I do wish I had attended another school. 

If it had to be another public school, it would be the University of Michigan. I really wish I had known more about that school back when I was going through the process. 

That being said, I feel I'm a private school kid at heart and I believe Georgetown would have been a great fit for me. 

So, yeah, if I could do it over I'd be a Michigan/Georgetown guy. Then I wouldn't have to torture myself everyday with the annoyance that is Florida Football. 

It's not too late!!!!!  Move to Michigan.  Better yet, move beyond the border.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users