• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

I watched a little of their first round game and they reminded me a little bit of the Gators with the guards leading from the back court.  I like the match up and believe we have a bit more depth and talent. 

Guard play is the key to a good Tourney team and run.  It was a bit shaky for our guards in their first game.  The second part of the first period we really struggled to get a ball into the cylinder.  Have to credit ETSU for played good defense and clogging the lanes all game.  Perhaps it was a case of opening round nerves, but Barry and Allen really struggled on their ball handling and shooting.   Even the usually reliable Leon had some accuracy issues.  Thankfully Devin Robinson stepped up and filled the scoring void.

I thought Hayes played very well, especially on defense and rebounding.  It was great to get Tourney minutes for our other bigs.  I liked the big lineup that kept us in the game with Stone, Rimmer and even Gak getting minutes (and points).  

We survived a good ETSU team and will advance to the next round.  Hopefully we will settle down and have better three point shooting against Virginia.  Even still, I think this is a game where our bigs are going to be critical.  ETSU was a great warmup for most of our bigs who will need to score and defend inside to take some pressure off our guards.  Robinson, Leon and Stone in relief will also be critical for point production.

Our guards are going to have their hands full with perimeter defense. That's the key to the Gators winning this game against the Cavaliers and advancing to the Sweet 16.

• vulcan_alex, DrthG8r and gator67 like this

#2 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

I've got to believe Virginia will end this nonsense on Saturday. Making it to the Sweet 16 would be highly detrimental to the long term health of this program because it would 1.) embolden the misguided fans who think we're a multi-sport school, 2.) give this young basketball coach/his agent grounds to lobby for a wasteful raise/extension, and 3.) require more expensive travel (right now, we just used buses for the short, relatively cheap trip to Orlando, whereas further rounds could require plane travel). 

Let's go 'Hoos!

#3 Jack O' Diamonds

Jack O' Diamonds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

I've got to believe Virginia will end this nonsense on Saturday. Making it to the Sweet 16 would be highly detrimental to the long term health of this program because it would 1.) embolden the misguided fans who think we're a multi-sport school, 2.) give this young basketball coach/his agent grounds to lobby for a wasteful raise/extension, and 3.) require more expensive travel (right now, we just used buses for the short, relatively cheap trip to Orlando, whereas further rounds could require plane travel). 

Let's go 'Hoos!

You do realize of course tournament travel expenses are paid by the NCAA? Additionally, the long term health of the basketball program would absolutely be positively affected. Also LoF, you are an idiot....

• gatordad3, vulcan_alex and DrthG8r like this

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...

#4 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

You do realize of course tournament travel expenses are paid by the NCAA? 

I think lodging is, but not travel. 

Additionally, the long term health of the basketball program would absolutely be positively affected.

...which negatively affects the long term health of the football program by sucking up more resources. And since we're very much a "football school," this means it's negative for the entire program as a whole. 

#5 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:58 AM

I wish you'd just go ahead and openly predict Virginia so we could all enjoy our sweet 16 run

• vulcan_alex and gator_tom like this

#6 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

...which negatively affects the long term health of the football program by sucking up more resources. And since we're very much a "football school," this means it's negative for the entire program as a whole. 

I've told you this before basketball isn't the problem... We make $ so where's the problem with this sport?

• vulcan_alex and gator_tom like this

#7 Jack O' Diamonds

Jack O' Diamonds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

Actually it's travel but not lodging.

http://www.ncaa.org/...vel-information

I see you only countered two of my points. The third is irrefutable..

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...

#8 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

Your such an idiot Lof. No one here believes your a gator fan. 

NO ONE.

Let's go 'Hoos!

1) We are a multi sport school, as has been shown to you time and time again. 

2) blah blah blah

3) UF has the money, BFD

• gatordad3 and vulcan_alex like this

#9 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

8:20 PM Saturday. Can't wait. 

#10 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

Let's go 'Hoos!

FSU is the team to go and as an aside another board is getting feedback and this and some other posters here were mentioned as a positive in not being posting there. So there is that.  And no Gator fan wants to lose, not ever.  And losing always hurts the program.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#11 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

I wish you'd just go ahead and openly predict Virginia so we could all enjoy our sweet 16 run

I thought he already had, and of course the "program" is so much more than football.  But what can you expect of an FSU fan.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#12 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

Where, oh, where are the basketball topics? I'm not a basketball superfan, but, let's talk about it. Just a little, please? Hayes did a great job against the best basketball team in tennessee. Let's hope he keeps his intensity and effort levels up.

#13 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Where, oh, where are the basketball topics? I'm not a basketball superfan, but, let's talk about it. Just a little, please? Hayes did a great job against the best basketball team in tennessee. Let's hope he keeps his intensity and effort levels up.

I was very pleased with his performance.  He's a bit undersized for posting up as a center but makes up for it in his speed, effort and blocking ability.  Remember, Hayes is only a sophomore.  He will play a lot of basketball for us.

Another guy I like is Gak.  He's as raw as they come but has good instincts and already has the body to be a good center for us in the future,

We've had some issues keeping a big man around the program but things are looking good for the future of fives in the Gator program.  Things are looking very good for next season.

#14 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

Travel for us is one helluva expense.  Gainesville to Orlando and back.  Between two and three hundred miles?  Yeah, thats a real budget buster!

• gator_tom likes this

#15 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:01 AM

If you like defensive basketball this is going to be one of the best games of this season.  Don't be surprised if the total points is under 100 for both teams.

#16 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:08 AM

If you like defensive basketball this is going to be one of the best games of this season.  Don't be surprised if the total points is under 100 for both teams.

yep, good game.. Most doubt either team will actually go far.  Virginia and Florida are two really boring teams... Not a lot to get excited, no stars on either team.

#17 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

It's time to crank up the All-American Rejects, because "It Ends Tonight." Virginia all the way this evening. 

And even though I'm sure this will further the Nole accusations about me, I'm going to say FSU handles the X-Men, as well. I think it's actually healthy for them to advance further than us and hopefully teaches our arrogant administration some humility relative to their highly flawed agenda. Again, I'm not a Seminole fan, but I am rooting for them to surpass us in many of the inconsequential sports that serve only to distract us from our main mission. That being said, I know posters like Gator Tom will bust my balls for making this type of post, so I'm already preparing for the onslaught.

#18 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

not sure which is funnier, you preparing for an onslaught from one or two posters or your metrosexual observations on Mac's grooming habits

#19 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

And being in actually pays.  https://www.forbes.c...s/#7604f1ba5b1f

If only more sec teams were in and more won games.

UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Tn

#20 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

And being in actually pays.  https://www.forbes.c...s/#7604f1ba5b1f

If only more sec teams were in and more won games.

don't tell lof guy is ignorant part of the fake news.  

• gatordad3 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users