• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

We're unfocused and lazy as a fan base right now. Very disconcerting to see some of our smarter, more eloquent fans - mtn2top, Werner, gatorurf, Drth, etc - allowing themselves to be sucked into the distractions. A sharper, more disciplined fan base would be discussing Franks vs Trask. We have to know who our QB will be and who can resurrect this offense. Some things are simply more important than others. This cannot be ignored.

Jesus you actually think that what we talk about on this message board makes an impact on our football program. You are out of touch with reality.

#42 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

We're unfocused and lazy as a fan base right now. Very disconcerting to see some of our smarter, more eloquent fans - mtn2top, Werner, gatorurf, Drth, etc - allowing themselves to be sucked into the distractions. A sharper, more disciplined fan base would be discussing Franks vs Trask. We have to know who our QB will be and who can resurrect this offense. Some things are simply more important than others. This cannot be ignored.

You better be ready for some baseball threads after this too because I am not ready to move onto football yet. 

Why would I? I don't think we are going to be good in football until we get a different coach and start getting  better recruits on offense. I think it could very well be 5 years before we are relevant in football again. I hope I'm wrong but honestly it doesn't bother me that much because my life does not revolve around our football program like it so clearly does for you. 

I like basketball as much as football and I dont think that my individual sentiment on that subject affects our basketball program or our football program in any way.

#43 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

I think it could very well be 5 years before we are relevant in football again.

That's disgusting. When I read that sentence, it feels like a punch to my gut. 

#44 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

That's disgusting. When I read that sentence, it feels like a punch to my gut. 

I'm a realist. I haven't seen any reason to think otherwise yet seeing as how our offense has been one of the worst in the nation for around 6 years now and we still don't have a serviceable QB that I know of. I hope I'm wrong.

#45 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'm a realist. I haven't seen any reason to think otherwise yet seeing as how our offense has been one of the worst in the nation for around 6 years now and we still don't have a serviceable QB that I know of. I hope I'm wrong.

Oh, I understand. I'm just saying it's depressing to read that. Especially since I consider you to be one of the more sensible posters on here - if our more attentive fans are thinking that kind of timeline, it's very disturbing to me. Not a good sign at all. 

#46 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 921 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

So how did our Gators do in the world of sports over the last 24 hrs - let's see:

#1 Florida defeated #2 Ohio State in Tennis

#5 Florida shut out #3 half-ass-u in baseball extending to 31 the number of innings we have kept them scoreless

#3 Florida blanks #5 Syracuse in Lacrosse

THIS is one reason we are such a great school - our sports program is well versed in a wide range of sports.  Not just one.

And win lose or draw we are dancing!

• mtn2top likes this

#47 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

FSU was ranked as high as #1 in one publication or another. 

• mtn2top likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#48 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 921 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

FSU was ranked as high as #1 in one publication or another. 

One thing I noticed was that we used a freshman pitcher to shut out Florida state college for women yesterday.  Impressive! 

#49 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Snatch Magnet

• Members
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

I think all of the arms that played last night were freshman.  I'd have to look at the box score to verify.  I was listening on the radio so I may have misheard names.  It is indeed impressive. 

• mtn2top likes this

There's not really an emoticon that says "I'm sorry I honked your boobs, and that you weren't a fan of that."

#50 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

I respectfully disagree with you on this vulcan_alex.  Our guards are the strength of this team and mostly responsible for the success we've had this season.  They are not invincible or able to carry the team as our late season failings show.  Even still, we came out in the top 15 team going into the NCAA Tourney.  Not such a bad place to be thanks to their play. 

We have been hampered by perimeter defense because of our over-reliance on our guards and three point scoring.  Vandy has excellent perimeter defense and shooting WITH an effective paint presence in Kornet.   Our guards needed more scoring contribution from the rest of the team and bench.  Even still the games were very close.

The vacuum for the Gators continues to be in our bigs and playing in the paint.   We can't effectively go inside when teams focus on defending our guards. Egbunu was healing most of the season and had just started returning to form.  Hayes is a bit undersized and inexperienced but has been somewhat effective in relief,  Rimmer put in good relief minutes but is not an elite player.  Gak is the future and will develop into a good center as he matures. 

We've had to compensate for a lack of presence in the paint for most of this season - and that's been mostly with our guards in transition baskets and outside shooting.  When the shots don't fall and the forwards struggle - so does the team.

The key for our success in this NCAA Tourney will be in our forwards and their ability to score and defend.  We need Robinson and Leon to shoot and rebound better.  Keith Stone and Eric Hester are young but also need to contribute in relief.  If the 3s and 4s take some pressure off our guards we can play into the Sweet 16 and have a chance at making the Elite 8. 

Hill, Chiozza, Allen and Barry have been fairly consistent this season in defending and scoring.  Our losses coincide with low shooting percentage (and good permeiter defense).  With a little more scoring and rebounding help from the rest of the team we can finish the season with a couple of big tourney wins.

Fine to disagree but with say Scotty at the point we win at least two of those Vandy losses.  If you can't drive and either score or get fouled at the end of the game well you are not "good" by my very high standards.  Now I agree that our guards now are a strength of our team but without a better center it is not good enough.  Barry missed some FT's and has not been the same since his injury.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#51 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

You better be ready for some baseball threads after this too because I am not ready to move onto football yet. 

Why would I? I don't think we are going to be good in football until we get a different coach and start getting  better recruits on offense. I think it could very well be 5 years before we are relevant in football again. I hope I'm wrong but honestly it doesn't bother me that much because my life does not revolve around our football program like it so clearly does for you. 

I like basketball as much as football and I dont think that my individual sentiment on that subject affects our basketball program or our football program in any way.

I don't think we need a new coach. Each class and year he has gotten better. 

• mtn2top likes this
Ignore the orange trolls :ignore:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by orange54. View it anyway? :nono:
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Alvin York. View it anyway? :nono:<p>

#52 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

I don't think we need a new coach. Each class and year he has gotten better. 

A new coach is an automatic program reset for at least three years.  Let's give this coach at least three years to see if they win the SEC East three years in a row and hopefully more.

#53 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

A new coach is an automatic program reset for at least three years.  Let's give this coach at least three years to see if they win the SEC East three years in a row and hopefully more.

I think you have to give a coach 4 years. If it isn't happening then, move on. 

• mtn2top likes this
Ignore the orange trolls :ignore:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by orange54. View it anyway? :nono:
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Alvin York. View it anyway? :nono:<p>

#54 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Michigan should fire Harbaugh.

#55 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

#56 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

I'd like to see this happen before the first game of the 2017 season.

#57 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

I must be getting senile®. I thought this topic was about the basketball tournament.

#58 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 921 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

~chuckle~ suwanneegator - the mind is a terrible thing!

#59 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

I must be getting senile®. I thought this topic was about the basketball tournament.

All sane, non-troll driven discussions are welcome! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users