• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Gators are in the tourney.  The question is where we play and what the seeding will be.  There are many possible scenarios.  There's so much to the match ups so we will wait to analyze the Gators chances to advance once our seeding, bracket and first-round opponent is known.

It's been a rough couple of weeks for Gator basketball, despite a strong overall season.  With brackets being announced today, it will be interesting to see if the Selection Committee has a short or long memory on the body of work put together by the Gators this season.

The pundits have a very short memory and drop or raise the seeding of teams based on every game.  I think the Selection Committee will have a broader view and reward the Gators for the season and not punish us for being unable to get by Vanderbilt in the last couple of games of this season.  After all, the SEC Tourney was held in Nashville and was as close to a home game as any for the Commodores.

At worse, I see a 5-12 match up outside of the South.  Those games are usually very competitive and show flaws in seeding with the underdogs performing well. Having to travel to distant locations can add to the challenge for the higher seed.  Gators have actually played their best on the road and in distant locations, so that may not be so bad. 

At best, we hold a three seed as the SEC's 2nd best team, despite the overtime loss to Vandy in Nashville, and play in Orlando.  The reality may be a 4 seed in a distant location such as the West.  Not sure who else the Selection Committee would place in Orlando at the seed and why.

We'll find out soon enough....

#2 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

We ended up as a 4 seed in Orlando against East Tennessee State.  That's a fairly good outcome for the Gators considering the losses to UK and Vanderbilt in the last couple of games

ETSU averages about 80 a game and they are experienced and long inside.  It's going to be a tough game for Florida but our defense can make it a game.  Even though we have the higher seed many pundits will pick against us in the opening round. 

Go Gators!

#3 The RH Factor

The RH Factor

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

If you want a prediction, I'll predict we'll lose the first game, regardless of seeding or location, and 'start looking forward to the next season'.

We might have had 2-3 more wins if Egbunu didn't go down with the injury.

#4 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

ETSU has some momentum, winning the Southern Conference Championship.  Even still, they haven't played the level of competition UF has this season.  They loss by 4 to Tennessee at home on Dec. 22nd.  They are 8-5 for the season in road games.  All seniors and juniors on the roster however.   Guards T.J Cromer (Senior) and Desonta Bradford (Junior) are the leading scorers (averaging 19.1 and 10.6 respectively) for the team.  

Peter Jurkin, their 7 foot Senior center only averages 1.7 a game.  From there they have scoring contributors but no one is taller than 6' 9".  So how much of a factor is their inside game?

We have great guards.  I'll stay with the Gators winning this first round game in Orlando.  Perimeter defense and treys can put us through.  We're not a power inside, but Hays and Rimmer with some rebounding help from our power forwards can compete in the paint.  It's all about the shots falling.  Another important aspect will be dribble penetration by our guards to get to the stripe and have their bigs play without fouling.

#5 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

What a joke that we were given an Orlando location. I thought local seeding was supposed to be reserved for top teams? 

Let's go ETSU!

#6 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

lof, you're getting very repetitious. But, it's what I expect out of the 3 amigos of lof, iqof54 and yorkie.

#7 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

If you want a prediction, I'll predict we'll lose the first game, regardless of seeding or location, and 'start looking forward to the next season'.

We might have had 2-3 more wins if Egbunu didn't go down with the injury.

I hate to agree with you but I do. Our inside guys just aren't getting the job done. Rimmer is basically a warm body and no scoring threat at all. Hayes, for all his potential, seems to have taken the rest of the year off. It's been a puzzling end to the season. I'm hoping for a run but not expecting it.

#8 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

lof, you're getting very repetitious. But, it's what I expect out of the 3 amigos of lof, iqof54 and yorkie.

Yep. I can't wait until this basketball b.s. is over and we can get back to football reporting. 

One more game to go....

#9 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

Winning in basketball does not affect football one bit. No true Gator would ever say the things I've seen LOF post lately.

And usually the committee tries to keep the top four seeds close to home. As UF is a four seed, they play in Orlando. That's how it works.
  • WernerIsTentative and mtn2top like this

#10 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Winning in basketball does not affect football one bit. No true Gator would ever say the things I've seen LOF post lately.

And usually the committee tries to keep the top four seeds close to home. As UF is a four seed, they play in Orlando. That's how it works.

Yes, it does. Look at the front page of Gatorsports right now: all basketball. I don't click on any of it. 

As for Orlando, the Noles belong there but we do not. 

#11 Wuerffel4Pres

Wuerffel4Pres

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Just because the media's attention is on basketball right now means nothing. It's March! This is what America focuses on: March Madness. It has no bearing on football whatsoever. I'm done responding to your drivel. Done reading your garbage. I can't believe that for the life of me any Gator would act like you do. Yes, football is King, but being a Gator means being a Gator in everything. If you call yourself a Gator, you are the poorest representation I have ever seen.
  • mtn2top likes this

#12 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Just because the media's attention is on basketball right now means nothing. It's March! This is what America focuses on: March Madness. It has no bearing on football whatsoever. I'm done responding to your drivel. Done reading your garbage. I can't believe that for the life of me any Gator would act like you do. Yes, football is King, but being a Gator means being a Gator in everything. If you call yourself a Gator, you are the poorest representation I have ever seen.

March means spring football reports/rumors. 

We don't give a crap about the basketball tournament. We want to know who is going to save us at QB and whether we'll finally have a legitimate offense. 

#13 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

I was thinking about buying a ticket to the tournament game in Orlando, right behind the Gator bench, and holding up a sign all game that says, "Franks or Trask?"....just to hammer home the point that we don't care about this garbage.

#14 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

When the team loses a couple of games, it is inevitable that people will doubt them. For me, it is important to look at the larger picture. They lost a competitive game to KY in Lexington, and, for whatever reason, Vanderbilt had the Gators' number this year. Each game was close and could have gone the other way, but Vandy made the critical plays at the right time. It is disappointing but not a reason to doubt the ability of the Gators to play good ball.

The Gators should have an excellent chance to win against ETSU since they have played a much more difficult schedule and are, apparently, more balanced in their offense. If, as mtn2top says, ETSU's guards average 30.6 and 31.6 points a game, while the team scores 80 points a game on average, this should make them vulnerable to a defense that can at least slow their guards down. If the Gators can take away what has counted for over 75% of their opponent's scoring, I like their chances. I believe they have the kind of defense that could do this. It is obvious that ETSU's seven-footer is not a great scoring threat, unlike Kornet of Vandy, so the challenges they pose are very different than what the Gators faced against the 'Dores.

Go Gators!

• mtn2top likes this

#15 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

When the team loses a couple of games, it is inevitable that people will doubt them. For me, it is important to look at the larger picture. They lost a competitive game to KY in Lexington, and, for whatever reason, Vanderbilt had the Gators' number this year. Each game was close and could have gone the other way, but Vandy made the critical plays at the right time. It is disappointing but not a reason to doubt the ability of the Gators to play good ball.

The Gators should have an excellent chance to win against MTSU since they have played a much more difficult schedule and are, apparently, more balanced in their offense. If, as mtn2top says, MTSU's guards average 30.6 and 31.6 points a game, while scoring 80 points a game on average, this should make them vulnerable to a defense that can at least slow their guards down. If the Gators can take away what has counted for over 75% of their opponent's scoring, I like their chances. I believe they have the kind of defense that could do this. It is obvious that MTSU's seven-footer is not a great scoring threat, unlike Kornet of Vandy, so the challenges they pose are very different than what the Gators faced against the 'Dores.

Go Gators!

Lol! Someone actually took the time to write a breakdown of this worthless match-up. 

Dear God, can we PLEASE get back to what matters?? This is embarrassing.

#16 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

It's an embarrassment that you waste so much of your time here trying to appear to be what you clearly are not.  Even the other trolls see through your orange and blue Bedouin disguise, so why do you even bother?. You have no credibility here.  Nothing but your negativity.  It's pathetic and predictable.

• WernerIsTentative and OldGatorAlum like this

#17 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Mark it down we make it to the sweet 16.  For some reason Vanderbilt has our #, but other than that we've beat a lot of good teams this year.  Even after that injury we played Kentucky competitive ... You can tell the tourny likes the SEC this year as they gave them good seeds.  Look for us to beat Virginia as we're a good squad.  Also, don't be surprised if we play Wisconsin which could give us a chance.  

• mtn2top likes this

#18 dw74l

dw74l

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

I was thinking about buying a ticket to the tournament game in Orlando, right behind the Gator bench, and holding up a sign all game that says, "Franks or Trask?"....just to hammer home the point that we don't care about this garbage.

do it then.  Everyone will think wow what an idiot.

#19 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

do it then.  Everyone will think wow what an idiot.

everyone already does

#20 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

Mark it down we make it to the sweet 16.  For some reason Vanderbilt has our #, but other than that we've beat a lot of good teams this year.  Even after that injury we played Kentucky competitive ... You can tell the tourny likes the SEC this year as they gave them good seeds.  Look for us to beat Virginia as we're a good squad.  Also, don't be surprised if we play Wisconsin which could give us a chance.  

Our game plan for the last couple of games have been a bit of an experiment in small ball, to utilize our talented guards.  When the outside shooting percentage hits season lows-that's going to lead to a loss. On top of that, Kornet is an outstanding blocking center that was able to further neutralize our focus to perimeter scoring and defense. 

That's the nature of basketball.  Vandy was clearly a bad matchup for us to drop all three games to them, especially the first one at home.

That's behind us now. A little bit of amnesia or short-term memory loss would be a good thing for our team.  The beauty of The Dance is that everyone starts with a clean slate.  I agree with you that we may not be strong enough of a team to glide through early rounds, but there's more than enough talent on this roster to make a Sweet 16 run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users