• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

Today the Gators will exact a little revenge on Vandy in our closing men's basketball game of the 2016-2017 season.  Go Gators!

#2 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

It will take a very good effort and perhaps some luck as well.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#3 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

That certainly went well. Nice tune-up for the tournament. Great hustle, outstanding FT shooting and everybody showed up to play.

#4 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

I don't think the problem was lack of effort in this game. The Gators did not play one of their better games, especially in the last ten minutes of the game, but they seemed to be working hard. For the most part, I thought they played good defense, but Vandy made them pay for switching so that the guards were defending their big men. Florida tried to adjust at the end, but LaChance still made some big plays and probably made the difference. Of course, if Allen and Barry had hit the two free throws that each missed, that could have made the difference in spite of LaChance. This is very disappointing, but it means nothing for the SEC tourney or the NCAA tourney.

#5 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

I don't think the problem was lack of effort in this game. The Gators did not play one of their better games, especially in the last ten minutes of the game, but they seemed to be working hard. For the most part, I thought they played good defense, but Vandy made them pay for switching so that the guards were defending their big men. Florida tried to adjust at the end, but LaChance still made some big plays and probably made the difference. Of course, if Allen and Barry had hit the two free throws that each missed, that could have made the difference in spite of LaChance. This is very disappointing, but it means nothing for the SEC tourney or the NCAA tourney.

I must have watched a different game. The game that was on my TV showed a Gator team that showed little hustle after rebounds, passes that made no sense, poor shot selection. One instance really stuck out to me was when a Vandy player missed a dunk and the rebound went right past two Gators. They just turned around and watched a 'dore pick up the loose ball and sink a three. Uncontested. Hayes played all of 10 minutes, 2 points, 4 rebounds, 1 (ONE) defensive rebound, and was thoroughly schooled by slow, white kids that can't jump. The entire game was like this.

This was a 24-6 team playing a 16-14 team. NO EXCUSES for this.

#6 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

I must have watched a different game. The game that was on my TV showed a Gator team that showed little hustle after rebounds, passes that made no sense, poor shot selection. One instance really stuck out to me was when a Vandy player missed a dunk and the rebound went right past two Gators. They just turned around and watched a 'dore pick up the loose ball and sink a three. Uncontested. Hayes played all of 10 minutes, 2 points, 4 rebounds, 1 (ONE) defensive rebound, and was thoroughly schooled by slow, white kids that can't jump. The entire game was like this.

This was a 24-6 team playing a 16-14 team. NO EXCUSES for this.

I agree about the poor shot selection at times, but I do not agree about the hustle. Mike White also said that he thought they played hard - but not like a veteran team. I think he was right.

As for Hayes, White explained that this was a strategic decision in order to defend the 3-point line more effectively. The problem was that this made it easier for Vandy's bigs to score near the basket, which they did. I have a feeling the coaches will look back at that decision and wish they had used Hayes a little more. 

And yes, Vandy's record was 16-14, but they also played the second most difficult schedule in the country, according to the experts, so that record is misleading. Also, they have been playing much better in the second half of the season, not surprisingly since they were learning a new system under a new coach. They have some good players, and the Gators needed to make good decisions to win, not just play hard. Unfortunately, they did not do so in the last five minutes of the game and that gave Vandy an opportunity that they seized.

The Gators should have won in that they have the better team, but they were not better when the game was on the line. They simply did not play with the poise that they have shown most of the year. I am very disappointed, but I also am not taking much from the game for what lies ahead in the SEC and NCAA tourneys. 

#7 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

gator67, I can see where you're coming from and pretty much agree.  I guess what puts a burr under my saddle is the horrible decisions that this pretty much veteran made the whole game. Not hustling at key points, taking ridiculous shots, lazy drives to the basket, etc. A game like this at any point in the SEC tournament and, most certainly, in the NCAA tournament and it's lights out. Go home and say "Wait til next year". This should not happen after 30 games.

#8 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

Hill does sometimes seem more intent on driving to the basket than exploiting what a team is giving. In his last drive, he may have had half a step, but that was a low-percentage shot to take. Or he might have parlayed it into a foul if he had gone up into the defender instead of trying to fall away. And he had not played well in some earlier plays, either. So, I can understand your frustration. I share it. I wonder, however, whether he was trying too hard instead of playing under control and seeing the court clearly. I expect better play going forward - though Hill is always going to commit some head-scratchers now and then. He just needs to keep them at a minimum. It will also help if Allen will stay aggressive on offense for an entire game.

#9 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:47 AM

Coach White has to share some responsibility for the loss.  He didn't make the adjustment away from the small lineup late in the game.  It worked well until the last five minutes or so when some tall timber inside could have protected the basket better. It was a very frustrating in the closing minutes.

Vandy put that anchor down through the deck of the USS Gator for this season.  I sure would like to exact some revenge in the SEC Tourney.

#10 The RH Factor

The RH Factor

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

My benchmark (probably strange) for a really good Gator basketball team is one that loses fewer than 10 games in a season, which we will.

It would be nice to still have Egbunu, but that won't be in the cards this season.

If we play Vandy a third time, I think we'll win.

#11 gator67

gator67

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Coach White has to share some responsibility for the loss.  He didn't make the adjustment away from the small lineup late in the game.  It worked well until the last five minutes or so when some tall timber inside could have protected the basket better. It was a very frustrating in the closing minutes.

Vandy put that anchor down through the deck of the USS Gator for this season.  I sure would like to exact some revenge in the SEC Tourney.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches were wondering about whether they should have made the adjustment you wanted to see. It could have made a difference. The other side of this, though, is that this could have led to more opportunities for open threes. That might have still been better than the very high percentage shots close to the basket, but it might also have backfired. Vandy hit ten long-range shots in G'ville but only five in Nashville, which is a sign that small ball was working against their strength. I can see why the coaches were reluctant to change. Still, I do wonder whether yet another adjustment late in the game would have kept the Dores from making a run. It would be good to see the Gators get a third chance and exact some revenge.

#12 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches were wondering about whether they should have made the adjustment you wanted to see. It could have made a difference. The other side of this, though, is that this could have led to more opportunities for open threes. That might have still been better than the very high percentage shots close to the basket, but it might also have backfired. Vandy hit ten long-range shots in G'ville but only five in Nashville, which is a sign that small ball was working against their strength. I can see why the coaches were reluctant to change. Still, I do wonder whether yet another adjustment late in the game would have kept the Dores from making a run. It would be good to see the Gators get a third chance and exact some revenge.

You're right gator67, you have to pick your poison.  I think adding Hayes could have been enough in the last five minutes. It's hard to believe he only played so few minutes and we were still within a couple at the end.

Hindsight is always 20-20 for those of us left to second-guess.  When it comes right down to it, it was not as meaningful of a game for the Gators as it was the Dores playing at home.

If we learned more about our small ball capability then it could be very useful in the weeks ahead when we'll have a day or less to film study and game plan opponents.  

• gator67 likes this

#13 orange54

orange54

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

How do you miss a lay-up?  Looks like Vandy is Dandy and Florida is Ore ida.........BAKED!

#14 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

How do you miss a lay-up?  Looks like Vandy is Dandy and Florida is Ore ida.........BAKED!

That was actually pretty original relative to everything else you post, kudos.

Still keeping my fingers crossed the vols make the tourney!

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#15 orange54

orange54

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Anchor down has hit the gator in the head twice.

#16 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

It must be awful to center your life around another team losing. Must be why there's so many alcoholics in tennessee.

• Wuerffel4Pres and gator_tom like this

#17 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

Barry missing three fts seems like something not typical.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#18 orange54

orange54

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

sewaneeturd:  guess the same reason you have so many criminals in Florida

#19 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

sewaneeturd:  guess the same reason you have so many criminals in Florida

Profanity indicates a small mind and lack of vocabulary but we know that about IQof54. Could it be that we actually have enough wealth in Florida to support criminals? What can anyone steal in Tennessee? Moonshine jugs? Jack Daniel's whisky bottles? All you have going for you in Tennessee is the limited appeal music scene in Nashville, two semi-pro teams in the Memphis Grizzlies (Grizzlies in Tennessee? Really?) and the whatever city they play in Oilers/Titans. I'm not going to mention your beloved Al (THE WORLD IS MELTING) Gore from the infamous Gore family that has fed from the public trough for almost 100 years and has contributed nothing to the public good. Tennessee is a good state to be from, a long way from.

• gator_tom likes this

#20 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

079792a9077afb8eb052cc2507b073d4.jpg

Ignore the orange trolls :ignore:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by orange54. View it anyway? :nono:
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Alvin York. View it anyway? :nono:<p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users