• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

I look forward to these two basketball games against UK more than any others.  Each year we get to measure the program against one of the very best in the nation and conference.  This year's game is a contrast of youth and raw talent against experience and seasoned talent.

I think we have a great chance to win this home game on Saturday.  Everyone else has generated a lot of offense on UK off of their high screens.  We should too.  Add in a dose of strong defense and it could be enough against the youngsters from Lexington.  We're going to need a lot of players to step up and play well to get this victory.

To get the win for the Gators: 

Lock down defense.  We have yet to have a defensive lapse this season.  If it's possible, let's wratchet it up one more notch for the Cats.  Gators have the best defense in the SEC and we'll need it to get this win. This team can outwork and outlast the Cats. 

Gator shots have to fall in the O Dome.  Consistent points in the paint are key to staying in this scorefest and keeping the Cats out on the perimeter. Shooting 40% from the field may not be enough for Florida to get the win.

Rebounding for the Gators has to be better than 50/50 to keep the scoring on pace. Our bigs are going to be challenged to play clean and stay around until the final minutes.

Free throws are critical in this game.  We can't leave too many points on the line if we want the win.

A little bit of shooter's luck never hurts the cause. 

We've had games where different players stepped up for the best showing of the season.  It's time for the team to step up and have one of those games like LSU, where everybody scores in double digits and contributes.

Go Gators!

• gatordad3 and Gator2222 like this

#2 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

We might need some zone defense and we really need to prevent them from running much.

I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#3 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

I refuse to watch this game, but I was at the bar of a restaurant and it happened to be on one of the TV's. I was watching the Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament on the TV next to it, so it was unfortunately within my field of vision.

Even though mentally I couldn't care less, I saw a snippet where a Kentucky player was shooting free throws and noticed there were 10-12 Kentucky fans clapping when he made it in the stands behind the basket. I hope Big Blue Nation enjoys all the renovations we made for them. 

Also have to wonder why our fan base wears orange against UK in basketball when they know Cat fans will be wearing blue and take over the arena. The all-orange just makes the takeover stand out more...if they just wore the normal smattering of orange and blue, then it would be harder to tell where exactly all the Cat fans were vs. our fans.

#4 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I refuse to watch this game, but I was at the bar of a restaurant and it happened to be on one of the TV's. I was watching the Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament on the TV next to it, so it was unfortunately within my field of vision.

Even though mentally I couldn't care less, I saw a snippet where a Kentucky player was shooting free throws and noticed there were 10-12 Kentucky fans clapping when he made it in the stands behind the basket. I hope Big Blue Nation enjoys all the renovations we made for them. 

Also have to wonder why our fan base wears orange against UK in basketball when they know Cat fans will be wearing blue and take over the arena. The all-orange just makes the takeover stand out more...if they just wore the normal smattering of orange and blue, then it would be harder to tell where exactly all the Cat fans were vs. our fans.

Wait, you're saying there are FSU fans at the Florida - Kentucky basketball game?  Why would they be wearing orange?

#5 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

Most of us know you all too well LOF.  However, there are always newbies lurking that aren't aware who you really are.

In order to maintain the ruse and trick the newbies into thinking that you are actually a Gator fan it might be helpful if you actually brought yourself to at least act positive towards the Gators every now and then.

The Gators blowing out Kentucky in basketball would seem to be one of those occasions when you could swallow your hate of everything Gator and pretend to be at least a little positive.  It's not like it hurts your Noles that we won. 

Of course, if you want to just drop the act that would be preferred.

• DrthG8r likes this

#6 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

Most of us know you all too well LOF.  However, there are always newbies lurking that aren't aware who you really are.

In order to maintain the ruse and trick the newbies into thinking that you are actually a Gator fan it might be helpful if you actually brought yourself to at least act positive towards the Gators every now and then.

The Gators blowing out Kentucky in basketball would seem to be one of those occasions when you could swallow your hate of everything Gator and pretend to be at least a little positive.  It's not like it hurts your Noles that we won. 

Of course, if you want to just drop the act that would be preferred.

Not when Pat Dooley has been blathering on via his podcasts about how we should care so much about the tournament and all these other spring sports; trying to guilt trip the football-first crowd into embracing the poisonous "everything school" mantra. 

No thanks. 

I hope we miss the tournament just to spite him. He has a 30 minute podcast each week and spends over half of it discussing a basketball team no one cares about. Where is the inside info about the coaching hires? Where is the news about which QB has taken command? These are things we care about. Not softball, basketball, gymnastics, tennis, etc. 

#7 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

Awesome win tonight!  Largest margin of victory in series history according to the announcers.

#8 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:48 PM

Sweet smackdown!  So proud of this team!

#9 dfwgator

dfwgator

True Gator

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:48 PM

"The Gator Boys are Hot Right Now!"

#10 dfwgator

dfwgator

True Gator

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

This team has certainly gelled since the Vanderbilt game,    they look like they can beat anybody right now. 

#11 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:51 PM

You're unbelievable LOF.  You can't even feel good about the largest margin victory by UF over Kentucky - EVER.  Couldn't even watch the game?  Clearly a Gator poser as if any additional proof was needed.

#12 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

You keep calling me a Nole, 2222, but you know what? I actually do kind of hope FSU wins the basketball tournament, college world series, and football playoff this upcoming year just to put an exclamation mark on how badly the UAA's philosophy has failed us. 

Statistically, it's obviously unlikely. However, it's theoretically possible given their basketball team should be top 10 heading into the tournament, their baseball team is pre-season #2, and their football team should be pre-season top 2 or 3. 

I would laugh so hard at those idiots in the UAA, who constantly bombard us with the "everything school" propaganda and hold up that 2006-2007 football/basketball run as some sacrosanct achievement, if the Noles somehow pulled off a "triple crown" and shoved it in our face. 

That's how much bitterness and hatred I have toward our leadership right now. Speaks volumes, in my opinion.

#13 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:54 PM

You're unbelievable LOF. You can't even feel good about the largest margin victory by UF over Kentucky - EVER. Couldn't even watch the game? Clearly a Gator poser as if any additional proof was needed.

Why would he feel good about a Gator win? Lawrence is a troll.

#14 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

You just have to know this Florida win was more than lof could stand.  She's probably standing under some street light in Tallahassee selling herself - cheap.

What a game. 

• mtn2top likes this

#15 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

You're unbelievable LOF.  You can't even feel good about the largest margin victory by UF over Kentucky - EVER.  Couldn't even watch the game?  Clearly a Gator poser as if any additional proof was needed.

I'm not going to sit there and listen to goofballs like Pat Dooley tell me how much I should care about the NCAAT when our football program is being burned to the ground by UAA/board member incompetence. 

I hope they tank down the stretch and miss the tournament just so Pat can't go again after wasting half his weekly podcast blathering about how much he wants to go to it. 

No insight about these coaching hires (he implied it would be Stoutland and instead it's some no-name jabroni we've never heard of), no insight about the QB situation, no insight about recruiting....but, hey, instead let's talk about sports like basketball and softball that like 5 people care about. 

#16 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:03 PM

I just have a feeling lof's world is coming unhinged.  She's been wrong about so many things this past year.  I love being right, and now we are begining to see where her true colors are.

#17 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:06 PM

Calling it an evening.  It was a great day.  Florida beat Kentucky and lof is coming apart at the seams.

#18 gator67

gator67

Freshman Gator

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

This was an impressive performance by the Gators. The way they kept KY down when they had a lead half way through the second half was especially encouraging to see. They demonstrated that the 30+ margins in the previous three games were not just due to poor play by their opponents. Kasey Hill has become an excellent point guard, and if he and Chiozza can continue to play at the level they've attained recently, this team can make a run in the tournament. I'm not predicting a final four, but the sweet sixteen would not be a surprise.

• gatordad3 and Gator2222 like this

#19 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

Decided to go on the Kentucky board just to get a handle on why they would lose this game. 

Turns out their entire team has been battling illness:

Whole team sick

Leave it to our gullible fan base, though, to buy into the UAA's crap and believe we're actually a legit basketball school. UK will beat us at Rupp and make a deeper tourney run. 

Ridiculous. This basketball win tonight was a loss for football. It covered up the new coaching hires and directed fans' attention away from the more pressing issues. 

#20 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:50 PM

I'm not mad at them, the flu will drain your energy . You could tell the team was off across the board , a lot of factors culminated . No big deal

Sick team...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users