• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

I don't expect a lot of preseason excitement for Gator hoops with football just getting underway, but fans should be with one of best teams in years getting ready to go.  Just about everybody from last year is back and healthy.  

It's no surprise that UK is picked to win the SEC, but most pundits are expecting UF to be competitive and a clear second in the conference.

Even still, it's going to be a strange preseason with so many games on the road with the O'Dome renovations.  That's going to make it more challenging for a mostly young team.  It will also make this a good road team or else.  I see this team making the tourney and being very competitive from a season of increased travel and playing on many different courts. 

Add Canyon Berry (with a 20 point average) with last year's starters Ugbunu, Hill, Robinson,, Allen and Chiozza with a healthy Stone and there's going to be different lineups and player combinations for Mike White.  Talent and depth in all positions makes the Gators a force to be reckoned with this coming season. 

I look forward to Gator basketball after football season and anticipate a good season and showing in Mike White's second year.

2016-17 SEC Schedule

Dec. 29 Thursday Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark. 7 p.m.

SEC Network

Jan. 3 Tuesday OLE MISS GAINESVILLE, FLA. 7 p.m.

ESPNU

Jan. 7 Saturday TENNESSEE GAINESVILLE, FLA. 5:15 p.m.

ESPN2

Jan. 10 Tuesday Alabama Tuscaloosa, Ala. 9 p.m.

ESPNU

Jan. 14 Saturday GEORGIA GAINESVILLE, FLA. 12 p.m.

ESPN / ESPN2

Jan. 18 Wednesday South Carolina Columbia, S.C. 6:30 p.m.

SEC Network

Jan. 21 Saturday VANDERBILT GAINESVILLE, FLA. 12 p.m.

CBS

Jan. 25 Wednesday LSU Baton Rouge, La. 9 p.m.

SEC Network

Feb. 2 Thursday MISSOURI GAINESVILLE, FLA. 7 p.m.

ESPN / ESPN2

Feb. 4 Saturday KENTUCKY GAINESVILLE, FLA. 2 / 8 p.m.

ESPN / ESPN2

Feb. 7 Tuesday Georgia Athens, Ga. 7 p.m.

ESPN2

Feb. 11 Saturday TEXAS A&M GAINESVILLE, FLA. Noon

ESPN / ESPN2

Feb. 14 Thursday Auburn Auburn, Ala. 7 p.m.

SEC Network

Feb. 18 Saturday Mississippi State Starkville, Miss. 2 p.m.

ESPN / ESPN2

Feb. 21 Tuesday SOUTH CAROLINA GAINESVILLE, FLA. 7 p.m.

ESPN

Feb. 25 Saturday Kentucky Lexington, Ky. 2 p.m.

CBS

March 1 Wednesday ARKANSAS GAINESVILE, FLA. 7 p.m.

ESPN2

March 4 Saturday Vanderbilt Nashville, Tenn. 2 p.m.

ESPN / ESPN2

March 8-12    SEC Tournament

Nashville, Tenn.

#2 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:44 PM

Yes the team is going on the road, but if Gator fans show up for these games around the state they will make these venues into a home court.

• mtn2top likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#3 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:29 AM

Here are things I am looking for:

-Can Robinson finally step up to his NBA potential (aka- can he be a consistent shooter). I mean, the guy expected to be playing in the NBA by now. It's time for him to step up. 

-Can Kasey Hill continue his success that he had at the end of last season. It was like he finally realized that he is always the fastest player on the floor. If he could develop a decent mid range or a decent floater the guy would be one of the best PGs in the NCAA.

-Can we shoot the 3-ball. Our 3 point shooting was awful last year but I still feel like we always got better open 3-pointers than most of the other teams we played. Hopefully  Barry and Stone will help with this. Chris Chiozza's shooting was abysmal last year, and that HAS to improve. If you are a 5'9 then you better be a decent shooter or you shouldn't be playing. If Kasey Hill could shoot around 35% range with his threes, then opponents would have to finally respect that and it would make his driving capabilities way more dangerous.

-I am much more excited for basketball than football, but I think it has been that way for me for quite a while now. Can't wait for it to start.

• mtn2top likes this

#4 gator_tom

gator_tom

True Gator

• Members
  • 730 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

Excited for season 2. 

• mtn2top likes this

#5 mtn2top

mtn2top

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

Yes the team is going on the road, but if Gator fans show up for these games around the state they will make these venues into a home court.

Great opportunity to see the Gators play for fans (new and old) across the state.  I hope many people will check out Gator hoops and bring our fan base to a new level to better compete with the school to the north.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gator Basketball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users