Close Open
Close Open
Photo

So another offseason without uniform upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 suwanneegator

suwanneegator

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

Here you go, boys. 

Can't wait until ya'll bring those uniforms to Neyland. 

2012-florida-gators-nike-pro-combats-unv

Now, that's what LoFSU is talking about!  That's class. One change would be to make the Gator's teeth mustard and ketchup.  PERFECT!!!!

#22 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

We've been taking a beating in comparative sales ever since FSU launched their new brand in 2014, and some of us are tired of going to our gyms, airports, coffee shops, etc., and seeing nothing but garnet and gold attire. It would be nice to get our brand back in the game. 

Once again LOF, you are off base with your assumptions.

Try a little experiment.  Get in your car and go for a 30 minute drive looking for white cars.  Drive through the parking lot at the mall or airport.  See all those white cars?  There aren't any more than before, but now that you are actively looking for them there sure seems to be more, right?

It is similar in nature to the frequency illusion.

https://en.wikipedia...quency_illusion

If you're looking for something, you're much more likely to notice it.

All that your observation proves is that you are looking for Nole gear as would be expected of a Nole fan.  I happen to notice more Gator gear as I am a Gator fan.

The difference is that I am noticing more Gator gear for 2 distinct reasons.  The first is because I am subconsciously looking for it.  The second is because the Gators beat the Noles in merchandise sales every single year.  There is just more Gator gear out there.

When the Noles go undefeated and win a national championship while the Gators go 4-8 and win nothing?  The Gators still sell more merchandise.

http://www.licensema...ng-universities (Gators 6th most sales, FSU 8th - up from 21st prior to the NC, they will fall dramatically given time).

The Noles put out a new line in 2014?  The Gators still sell more merchandise.

http://allthingsfsu....sities-and.html (Gators 8th, FSU already falling down to 12th)

The Gators are just a better selling brand.

Considering that FSU's ranking among the top Universities in merchandise sales has fallen from 8th to 12th "since FSU launched their new brand in 2014", perhaps they should go back to the old brand.  The marketplace has voted and they like the old brand better.

Good thing UF has professionals in place that know how to capitalize on a brand and maintain top 10 merchandise sales.

However, you are correct when you say "We've been taking a beating in comparative sales ever since FSU launched their new brand in 2014".  You and your Noles are indeed taking a beating in comparative sales.

• WernerIsTentative, GatorAuthor and larsrover like this

#23 larsrover

larsrover

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

A bicycle helmet. For his Huffy.

g.d.3 your probably right, actually your definitely right if they had a hot pink model. I'm sure he strapped it on as well but we're definitely not talking bikes!

#24 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

Once again LOF, you are off base with your assumptions.

Try a little experiment.  Get in your car and go for a 30 minute drive looking for white cars.  Drive through the parking lot at the mall or airport.  See all those white cars?  There aren't any more than before, but now that you are actively looking for them there sure seems to be more, right?

It is similar in nature to the frequency illusion.

https://en.wikipedia...quency_illusion

If you're looking for something, you're much more likely to notice it.

All that your observation proves is that you are looking for Nole gear as would be expected of a Nole fan.  I happen to notice more Gator gear as I am a Gator fan.

The difference is that I am noticing more Gator gear for 2 distinct reasons.  The first is because I am subconsciously looking for it.  The second is because the Gators beat the Noles in merchandise sales every single year.  There is just more Gator gear out there.

When the Noles go undefeated and win a national championship while the Gators go 4-8 and win nothing?  The Gators still sell more merchandise.

http://www.licensema...ng-universities (Gators 6th most sales, FSU 8th - up from 21st prior to the NC, they will fall dramatically given time).

The Noles put out a new line in 2014?  The Gators still sell more merchandise.

http://allthingsfsu....sities-and.html (Gators 8th, FSU already falling down to 12th)

The Gators are just a better selling brand.

Considering that FSU's ranking among the top Universities in merchandise sales has fallen from 8th to 12th "since FSU launched their new brand in 2014", perhaps they should go back to the old brand.  The marketplace has voted and they like the old brand better.

Good thing UF has professionals in place that know how to capitalize on a brand and maintain top 10 merchandise sales.

However, you are correct when you say "We've been taking a beating in comparative sales ever since FSU launched their new brand in 2014".  You and your Noles are indeed taking a beating in comparative sales.

This is why I love reading your posts.  You put a lot more work into it than I ever could these days, but it's much appreciated and one of the few long ass posts I read all the way thru.  

• GatorAuthor likes this

#25 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:30 PM

This is why I love reading your posts.  You put a lot more work into it than I ever could these days, but it's much appreciated and one of the few long ass posts I read all the way thru.  

Thank you.

#26 daytonafan

daytonafan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:11 PM

When uniforms get victories I will care a little about them.  Orange and Blue are our colors and that is all that matters.

LOL, I agree with you Bull Gator.  I am a female but care little about football fashion

• vulcan_alex and GatorUrf10 like this

#27 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

As Lawrence predicted what I would say, people are wearing all sorts of FSU stuff because FSU was constantly talked about on ESPN for 2 straight years. It wasn't just the National Championship though, I think it was more of Jameis Winston's personality and appeal. Regardless of how most of us, including me, view him, there is a large portion of the population that still admired him even after it was clear that he was a complete ******, only because of his play on the field and his confident persona.

But as gator22222222222222222 pointed out, sales from the Jameis years are already declining.

However, I have said many times before that we need to do some different uniforms. Young athletes like to be flashy. We should have some Matte Charcoal helmets, maybe some silver helmets, and the old fashion white helmet with the F. Using some new stuff like this will make our traditional orange helmets considered vintage and even those will be cool again.

80% of Lawrences observations and claims are usually pretty far out of bounds. But him talking about UF falling behind in the uniform department is not really in that area. Muschamp put us way behind where we should be as a program, and it is time to catch up.

• Lawrence of Florida likes this

#28 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

And in these threads I always see the same thing "lol... you must be gay or a girl to care about uniforms." 

You are truly out of touch with America's youth if you think that high school boys do not care about looks nowadays. No offense, but nobody cares if YOU think uniforms aren't important, I care if recruits care, and they do.

• Lawrence of Florida and GatorUrf10 like this

#29 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

And in these threads I always see the same thing "lol... you must be gay or a girl to care about uniforms." 

You are truly out of touch with America's youth if you think that high school boys do not care about looks nowadays. No offense, but nobody cares if YOU think uniforms aren't important, I care if recruits care, and they do.

I think more people would take it as a serious discussion were it not for the source

I tend to agree with you.  I have a 16 yr old, I know how he thinks

• WernerIsTentative likes this

#30 Gatormatic

Gatormatic

True Gator

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

You do realize the uniforms were just "updated" about 2 years ago, right? UF's never going to radically change colors, designs or anything like that. Ever. No established, power school does. I realize Oregon has different looks each week, but that's Oregon's "thing." That's their niche. We can't copy them, otherwise we'll look like followers. Plus, how many different unis can you come up with that incorporate Orange and Blue? Now, if you're talking about a cool alternate uniform worn once or twice a year (a la Ohio State, Michigan State, etc.), I believe we will do that at some point under Coach Mac. I mean give it some time, he's only been the HBC for one season. But a wholesale, dramatic makeover of the uniforms? Never going to happen.

Go Gators!

#31 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:27 PM

You do realize the uniforms were just "updated" about 2 years ago, right? UF's never going to radically change colors, designs or anything like that. Ever. No established, power school does. I realize Oregon has different looks each week, but that's Oregon's "thing." That's their niche. We can't copy them, otherwise we'll look like followers. Plus, how many different unis can you come up with that incorporate Orange and Blue? Now, if you're talking about a cool alternate uniform worn once or twice a year (a la Ohio State, Michigan State, etc.), I believe we will do that at some point under Coach Mac. I mean give it some time, he's only been the HBC for one season. But a wholesale, dramatic makeover of the uniforms? Never going to happen.

I think what this thread is about is alternate uni's or alternate helmets. I don't think anyone, maybe except Lawrence, really wants new permanent uni's but recruits do tend to like alt uni's like we've worn in the past like the white helmets or orange jerseys (I can't stand those...)

• WernerIsTentative likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#32 Gatormatic

Gatormatic

True Gator

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

That makes more sense. I think he's complaining about something that doesn't need to be complained about. In his first year, Coach Mac introduced the new white helmets. That's more progress than any previous coach has made on a "uniform update" in decades. I'd expect more changes to follow soon. I think an all-white (white helmets, jerseys, pants and shoes) Stormtrooper look, with Orange and Blue accents would be nice. Same thing, but with all-black would be cool too.

Go Gators!

#33 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

I think what this thread is about is alternate uni's or alternate helmets. I don't think anyone, maybe except Lawrence, really wants new permanent uni's but recruits do tend to like alt uni's like we've worn in the past like the white helmets or orange jerseys (I can't stand those...)

Right. I'm not saying we have to change our uniforms completely and go all out like Oregon. But once or twice a year, it is cool to do something different.

#34 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

As Lawrence predicted what I would say, people are wearing all sorts of FSU stuff because FSU was constantly talked about on ESPN for 2 straight years. It wasn't just the National Championship though, I think it was more of Jameis Winston's personality and appeal. Regardless of how most of us, including me, view him, there is a large portion of the population that still admired him even after it was clear that he was a complete ******, only because of his play on the field and his confident persona.

But as gator22222222222222222 pointed out, sales from the Jameis years are already declining.

However, I have said many times before that we need to do some different uniforms. Young athletes like to be flashy. We should have some Matte Charcoal helmets, maybe some silver helmets, and the old fashion white helmet with the F. Using some new stuff like this will make our traditional orange helmets considered vintage and even those will be cool again.

80% of Lawrences observations and claims are usually pretty far out of bounds. But him talking about UF falling behind in the uniform department is not really in that area. Muschamp put us way behind where we should be as a program, and it is time to catch up.

You failed to add about twelve more 2s when mentioning Gator2222.

#35 Gatormatic

Gatormatic

True Gator

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

How do you upgrade something that is already the best?

Go Gators!

#36 Orwellian Reptillian

Orwellian Reptillian

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

Actually, if you look at our uniforms compared to even ten years ago, the form of the uni's are dramatically different from then.  The sleeves are higher up, which is what current teams are doing. And the uniform is much tighter to the body the years before. This is all current trends not even being factored in.

As far as silly designs, you will see schools like Oregon, Miami, and FSU change their design schemes throughout the year to asuage relevance and land a clip on ESPN for it.  You will HARDLY EVER see traditional power school like Alabama, USC, Notre Dome, and Florida do this.

And to touch on FSU one more time.  Their new logo, which looks like the mascots crying, clearly looks like the designer ran a cheap photoshop filter over the last logo, and called it a day.  I also predict (one day) the logo and name of the school will be removed (with the redskins) by the social justice warriors that are offended by this.  This will force FSU to rename their team the "warriors"  or some generic binary of the old name.

• Gator2222 likes this

#37 gatorfor88

gatorfor88

True Gator

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • LocationPanama City

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

Since they  came out with the "new" logo, I always thought the "seminole" had his mouth open ready to receive something. Quite fitting actually.

#38 DrthG8r

DrthG8r

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

Does anyone really care what LOF says, thinks or does?

BUT -- while we are on the subject I love our uniforms.  They always look fresh and neat.  The colors are not drab, but bright.  The helmets are special and may very well be the thing I like best.

Unlike that drab stuff up the road.

#39 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

You failed to add about twelve more 2s when mentioning Gator2222.

LOL

A good argument can't be made with a single word

#40 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

I agree with Orwellian Reptillian.  All you have to do is look at a school like Bama that rarely if ever changes the uniforms to see how much it hurts recruiting.

Rivals says Bama has won the recruiting title 5 of the last 6 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users