• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

There are really only a few, if you think about it. 

Here's my ranking: 

1.) Alabama

Not much explanation necessary. Although, one wonders if perhaps they are now moving toward a decline with so much defection this past year and Kiffin likely to leave next year. Still, as long as Saban is there, it will be hard to keep them off this list. 

2.) FSU

Great coach in Jimbo, outstanding recruiting, and a slightly less competitive path to the national title each year puts them in prime position to take over the top spot one day. The key for them will be continuing to sweeten the pot enough to keep Jimbo from eyeing the NFL. Although you wouldn't know it looking at their facilities, they actually don't have the level of resources that we do. They just do an infinitely better job of maximizing the resources they do have. Very, very impressed with the FSU program right now and Nole fans should arguably feel more confident than even Alabama moving forward at this point. They will win another national title or two in the next 4 years, no doubt in my mind.

3.) Michigan

It might sound strange to put Michigan here above Urban's Ohio State program, but that's the effect of Harbaugh. I can't stress enough what a game-changing hire that was for them. Although they are not a finished product just yet, it's so painfully obvious what they will become that it's impossible to keep them out of this spot. Anyone who doesn't see it is blind. 

4.) Ohio State

The Buckeyes are set with Urban, but it's definitely shakier than some of the programs above them. What we've learned is that Urban is very much at the mercy of his offensive coordinator hires. When Mullen left us here at UF, we all saw what happened. Last year, OSU should have been a juggernaut, but clearly missed Herman. Buckeye fans should still feel confident in their program with Urban at the helm - he's always going to recruit well, for instance - but you get the feeling they just don't have that same edge as some of the programs above them, where the coaches seem to have a more direct grip. 

5.) Tennessee

This one is going to cause a stir, no doubt, and may get me laughed off this board. That said, I think we have to acknowledge Tennessee's arrival and understand where they are right now. Like Michigan, although to a lesser degree, this is a program primed to make an ascent to the top of the college football world. I have them winning the 2016 SEC Championship and being a factor in the national playoffs. Will they win the national title? I don't know, but Jones has them back in the conversation and they aren't going to go away as long as he's there. They were extremely close to being a 1 loss or even undefeated team last year. This is the year they cash in, and, subsequently, I feel we have to put them here. Vol fans should feel "set" moving forward right now. 

Programs with "good situations," but I don't consider "set": 

- Clemson

- Oklahoma

- Baylor

- TCU

- Ole Miss

- Notre Dame

- Stanford

- Michigan State

All of these are a lot more fluid than the 5 I listed above and, frankly, they lack the gravitas or weight when you evaluate them moving forward compared to the programs that made the list. They just aren't quite as substantial for a variety of reasons. One of the factors I specifically look for is an innate "sense of dread" and I just don't feel it with any of these. Good situations, yes, but their fans can't feel nearly as confident as the ones listed above. 

#2 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

The remake of Point Break really sucks.

#3 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

So, Mr Perverted Picture Boy, did you see the crappy remake of Point Break?

#4 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

You got laughed off the board by taking voyeuristic pics of men at Subway.

#5 oxs uncle

oxs uncle

Senior Gator

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

The Vols may be set in the long run, but Jones isn't. A top notch coach will be interested in the job.

Ole Miss is going to feel those NCAA violations and maybe, the next time, get the death penalty.

Freeze has some instability out there out there in the theme park of the antebellum south. Only good thing about them is that their fans ardently hate the Vols.

The Gators fate may hinge upon a changing of the Gard at the Gainesville Sun and the subsequent firing of all the piss ant reporters.    

#6 Dugaboy

Dugaboy

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

Very good, Uncle, very good....changing of the guard at The Gainesville Sun. Bingo.

#7 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

You'll have to excuse the Perverted Picture Boy known as Lawrence of Florida, he needs at least several hours to respond.

#8 Gator2222

Gator2222

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

LOF makes a list of the five programs he thinks may piss off Gator fans the most and puts up a fan boy post about FSU in the same day.

Trying to step up the game and troll twice as hard huh?

#9 vulcan_alex

vulcan_alex

Bull Gator

• Members
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

No programs are "set".  Some have natural advantages, some have great coaches and traditions.  All could fall if they lose their focus.  Bama sucked for a long time.  UT is not that great and really never was.  OSU dominates the little 10.  And not long ago Michigan sucked as well.  USC w used to be a dominate force.  If you go back a long time Army and Notra Lame dominated.

• GatorUrf10 likes this
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn

#10 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

LOF makes a list of the five programs he thinks may piss off Gator fans the most and puts up a fan boy post about FSU in the same day.

Trying to step up the game and troll twice as hard huh?

exactly

• WernerIsTentative likes this

#11 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

Troll so hard...

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#12 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:21 AM

Like there is NO DOUBT in your mind that fsu will win 1 or 2 national titles in the next 4 years? Not like a 50% chance or a 75% chance but you think there is a 100% chance? Okay, that must be kind of how you said we had NO CHANCE against UNF (who, if you actually researched their season, was clearly a much worse basketball team than us).

Without Jameis (who I think is a top 5 college QB since 1990) they would have no recent national championships. Jameis would have won TWO nattys and not just one if he had come to Florida. Unless FSU finds another elite QB in the next 4 years (which I would say is not a 100% chance), they probably won't win a natty.

The Tennessee love you always give are my favorite troll attempts. They have a worse season than us, worse recruiting class than us, haven't beaten a good team in years,  haven't even beaten FLORIDA in 11 years even though we have had a couple of the worst teams in recent history... yet you are so positive about their outlook?

Let's make this clear:

Florida's successful season where the only reason we were bad in the latter half was  that we had a worse QB than 95% of D1 teams, and we were still good enough with him to beat our main SEC rival Georgia and make it to the SEC championship game= pessimism and negativity from you.

HOWEVER:

Constant Tennessee failures year after year, haven't been ranked in top 20 in about a decade, haven't beat any good teams INCLUDING some of the worst Florida teams in 30 years, and got out-recruited by a lot of SEC teams including Florida this year= a super positive outlook from you and you having a gut feeling that they are a top 5 program in the country

If the gators had the same "success" (failures actually) that Tennessee has had recently you would be espousing how the program is doomed.  But since it's not Florida, Tennessee hype and no-shows in big games is enough for you to to name them a top 5 "set" program.

Tennessee chokes again and again in actual games and has a mediocre recruiting year? "oh, no problem they are just getting unlucky they are the one of the premier programs in the country"

Florida doesn't show you enough videos of practice- "THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY REASONS WHY WE ARE DOOMED!!"

• GatorUrf10 likes this

#13 GatorUrf10

GatorUrf10

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

Like there is NO DOUBT in your mind that fsu will win 1 or 2 national titles in the next 4 years? Not like a 50% chance or a 75% chance but you think there is a 100% chance? Okay. Without Jameis (who I think is a top 5 college QB since 1990) they would have no recent national championships. Jameis would have won TWO nattys and not just one if he had come to Florida.

The Tennessee love you give is my favorite. They have a worse season than us, worse recruiting class than us, haven't beaten a good team in years, yet you are so positive about their outlook. 

Let's make this clear:

Florida's successful season where the only reason we were bad in the latter half was  that we had a worse QB than 95% of D1 teams, and were still good enough with him to beat our main SEC rival Georgia and make it to the SEC championship game= pessimism and negativity from you.

HOWEVER:

Constant Tennessee failures year after year, haven't been ranked in top 20 in about a decade, haven't beat any good teams INCLUDING some of the worst Florida teams in 30 years, and got out-recruited by a lot of SEC teams including Florida this year= a super positive outlook from you and you having a gut feeling that they are a top 5 program in the country

If the gators had the same "success" (failures actually) that Tennessee has had recently you would be espousing how the program is doomed.  But since it's not Florida, Tennessee hype and no-shows in big games is enough for you to to name them a top 5 program in the country.

Tennessee chokes again and again in actual games and has a mediocre recruiting year? "oh, no problem they are just getting unlucky they are the one of the premier programs in the country"

Florida doesn't show you enough videos of practice- "THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY REASONS WHY WE ARE DOOMED!!"

Empirical evidence > Larry's gut.

What predictions has LoF made that have come true? Our record last year. He predicted 7-5 or worse. Most basketball games in which he picked the other team to crush us, the Gators usually won. I think he picked the football team to beat Ole Miss, but that was only after the start of the season with all of the positive play from Grier and co.

I don't have a problem with someone's opinion but to create daily threads which have no place on any board is just wasting everyone's time. Has he responded to that Nattiel thread in which he said a freaking Nike school gave an ex player scrubs to wear despite the fact that Ricky works in health care and UF has more freaking Nike clothes to give away than most department stores?

• WernerIsTentative likes this

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different." - SOS

#14 WernerIsTentative

WernerIsTentative

All-American Gator

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

What predictions has LoF made that have come true? Our record last year. He predicted 7-5 or worse. Most basketball games in which he picked the other team to crush us, the Gators usually won. I think he picked the football team to beat Ole Miss, but that was only after the start of the season with all of the positive play from Grier and co.

I don't have a problem with someone's opinion but to create daily threads which have no place on any board is just wasting everyone's time. Has he responded to that Nattiel thread in which he said a freaking Nike school gave an ex player scrubs to wear despite the fact that Ricky works in health care and UF has more freaking Nike clothes to give away than most department stores?

Exactly. The Nattiel thread was hilarious. For him to assume that it is easier for us to find scrubs than to find a gator tshirt and shorts pretty much explains everything you need to know about Lawrence's critical thinking skills.

• vulcan_alex likes this

#15 gatordad3

gatordad3

Head Ball Coach

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

But Lawrence/CaneThing/inmyeyes/Perverted Picture Boy's thorough research suggested Ricky didn't work in health care. Nice research there, Lawrence/CaneThing/inmyeyes/Perverted Picture Boy.
  • vulcan_alex likes this

#16 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

I guess I should have clarified that "set" doesn't mean "for life," it just means they are in the best positions moving forward. Those are the 5 fan bases who, in my opinion, should feel most confident about their programs moving forward...at this time. 

Regarding Tennessee, I knew I was going to take some heat for that, but I really do believe they are a program that is about to burst back onto the national scene. They were tantalizingly close last year and I've stated many times I believe they would have beaten Alabama in a rematch on a neutral field in Atlanta had they represented the East. I realize that including them on such a list is risky because they haven't actually produced it on the field just yet, the way Oklahoma or Clemson arguably has, but, similar to Michigan, their intangibles and "aura" are just too difficult to ignore right now. This is a program that was playing perhaps the best football in the nation at the end of the year. 

As for Nattiel, what's there to say? I didn't catch his affiliation with Baxter BioSurgery/Healthcare Corp. I'm still not really sure why a territory business manager needs to wear scrubs, other than to maybe make himself feel more important in his position than he really is, but I guess it is what it is. 

#17 OldGatorAlum

OldGatorAlum

True Gator

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

I wear scrubs all the time to Starbucks

it's a real chick magnet

#18 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

I wear scrubs all the time to Starbucks

it's a real chick magnet

Exactly. That's what I was thinking. 

I see these chumps all the time wearing their scrubs and hanging stethoscopes from their car mirrors. Bunch of Fockers and Florence Nightingales. I'm going to start asking where they went to medical school. 

Nothing annoys me more than seeing scrubs in public. 

#19 larsrover

larsrover

Redshirt Gator

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

Exactly. That's what I was thinking. 

I see these chumps all the time wearing their scrubs and hanging stethoscopes from their car mirrors. Bunch of Fockers and Florence Nightingales. I'm going to start asking where they went to medical school. 

Nothing annoys me more than seeing scrubs in public. 

Sounds like someone may have played Doctor a little too much in the childhood yrs.?L ofF?

#20 Lawrence of Florida

Lawrence of Florida

Heisman Gator

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

I love seeing these thugged-out barbers wearing surgical gloves, too...as if that somehow elevates the process of giving their basic line-ups and fades to a more official, scientific art. 

Please. 

Jimbo is right about these millennials: they like the idea of doing things, but they don't like investing in the actual process of doing it. Or, as Texans used to say, they'd rather be "All hat and no cattle." 

Stop wearing your scrubs around town like you're an important physician that could be called away to surgery at a moment's notice when we all know you really work down at Mrs. Li's nail salon. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users